Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Rumors Die Hard

Hybrid View

Default Old Rumors Die Hard

I was working at an elementary school today. Two first grade boys started talking about Pokemon and got on the subject of Mewtwo. They started listing the different kinds of Mew, including "Blue Mew" and "Metal Mew". I explained to them that one was just Mew's shiny color and the other was a rumor started because of pictures from the first movie of Mewtwo in his armor.

This is the second time I've had to debunk a version of the Mewthree rumor. Two years ago a boy told me his favorite Pokemon was Mewfour. Ow. None of these kids were even born when "Mewtwo Strikes Back" came out. How did they even hear about this? Next thing you know they'll be asking how to catch the PokeGods.

So, anyone have a similar experience?

These people keep telling me Pokemon is a game for kids, but I keep telling them it's not!
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Aw, it's kinda cute. We all remember swapping those stories on the playground with our friends, about the secret glitches and pokemon lore that may or may not have been true. Now it's moved on to the younger generation. It's like a tradition still being kept alive. That's really heartwarming.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Feralninja View Post
    Aw, it's kinda cute. We all remember swapping those stories on the playground with our friends, about the secret glitches and pokemon lore that may or may not have been true. Now it's moved on to the younger generation. It's like a tradition still being kept alive. That's really heartwarming.
    Agreed, this so much.

That's good some of the kids know of the old stories, and (alot of) people say that they only know gen V pokemon. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Umbreon View Post
    I was working at an elementary school today. Two first grade boys started talking about Pokemon and got on the subject of Mewtwo. They started listing the different kinds of Mew, including "Blue Mew" and "Metal Mew". I explained to them that one was just Mew's shiny color and the other was a rumor started because of pictures from the first movie of Mewtwo in his armor.

This is the second time I've had to debunk a version of the Mewthree rumor. Two years ago a boy told me his favorite Pokemon was Mewfour. Ow. None of these kids were even born when "Mewtwo Strikes Back" came out. How did they even hear about this? Next thing you know they'll be asking how to catch the PokeGods.

I like there are still wome who aren't complete genfyverrs, but some that like them too, vut this is just kind of taking it too far :P

I remember my classmate asking how to get the MiniManafie (even spelled it wrong) in Eterna Forest... Um, what?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    I like there are still wome who aren't complete genfyverrs, but some that like them too, vut this is just kind of taking it too far :P

I remember my classmate asking how to get the MiniManafie (even spelled it wrong) in Eterna Forest... Um, what?
    MiniManafie? Never heard of that. All I can make of that is: Mini Manaphy. Rofl.

OT:
    I heard a rumor once if you kept your gameboy on for 48 hours infront of the shrine at Ilex Forest Celebi will appear to you as level 5. (Heard it on school.) Like 10 years ago. Never tried it out because I was afraid it that my battery's would die. xD

~ | Latest shiny: Platinum (246 Softresets) | ~

~ | Friendscode X & Y: 3196-4085-3103 | ~

~ | Living Pokédex: 718/721 | ~

Quote Originally Posted by Dylz View Post
    MiniManafie? Never heard of that. All I can make of that is: Mini Manaphy. Rofl.
    i hink he was reffering to Phione, which comes from an egg made by Manaphy, so you would think Phione would be smaller than Manaphy... Oddly enough, Phione is bigger than Manaphy O.o

I keep hearing something about Giratina having a third form. Like what?

Just shows that today's adults are letting there kids like the classics like Pokemon

"98% of teens wont stand up for God. Copy and Paste this into your sig if your one of the 2%"
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I'm just happy that they actually know about the original generation(s). In my experience, all younger children I've come across that play the Pokemon games are quite central to gen 5..
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

Fire Red Team (0 badges):

Emerald Team (3 badges):

Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I'm just happy that they actually know about the original generation(s). In my experience, all younger children I've come across that play the Pokemon games are quite central to gen 5..
    I agree. A kid in the year 3 below mine at school told me he heard me talking about how classic Pokemon (Squirtle, Mewtwo, etc.) are my favourites to my friends and them agreeing with me. He then told me there are no such Pokemon as "Bulbasaur" or "Venomoth" and that I should stop pretending to like Pokemon to get more friends at school, and even if I do, I should stop talking about "fake classics" and say I like real Pokemon like Snivy and Reshiram. *facepalm*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Squirtle View Post
    I agree. A kid in the year 3 below mine at school told me he heard me talking about how classic Pokemon (Squirtle, Mewtwo, etc.) are my favourites to my friends and them agreeing with me. He then told me there are no such Pokemon as "Bulbasaur" or "Venomoth" and that I should stop pretending to like Pokemon to get more friends at school, and even if I do, I should stop talking about "fake classics" and say I like real Pokemon like Snivy and Reshiram. *facepalm*
    Woah ! he had the nerve of saying that ! little twerp !

Wow... *claps slowly* For all the dumb things I've heard kids say I've never had one claim that a real Pokemon was fake. That deserves a prize. I wonder if that kid has ever completed the Pokedex (or if he Game Sharked it complete then didn't bother to read it).

EDIT: Just realized the full implications. This kid said Bulbasaur isn't a real Pokemon. He thinks Pokemon number 001 isn't real.
    Last edited by Lady Umbreon; 30th December 2012 at 6:42 PM. Reason: went to the fridge

Wow... *claps slowly* For all the dumb things I've heard kids say I've never had one claim that a real Pokemon was fake. That deserves a prize. I wonder if that kid has ever completed the Pokedex (or if he Game Sharked it complete then didn't bother to read it).

EDIT: Just realized the full implications. This kid said Bulbasaur isn't a real Pokemon. He thinks Pokemon number 001 isn't real.
    Yeah... My reply to him was that he should Google Search Pokémon Red and Blue, and he told me immediately "Those are fakes. Couldn't you tell from the graphics? Only the people who make the REAL games have access to the technology to make the graphics the way they really are. That's why they have bad graphics and honestly, poor attempts at putting fake Pokémon into a game. I mean, "Drowzee" and "Hypno" are just ugly, yellow and disturbing ripoffs of Munna and Musharna. Come on, you really need to do your homework man...".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

Yeah... My reply to him was that he should Google Search Pokémon Red and Blue, and he told me immediately "Those are fakes. Couldn't you tell from the graphics? Only the people who make the REAL games have access to the technology to make the graphics the way they really are. That's why they have bad graphics and honestly, poor attempts at putting fake Pokémon into a game. I mean, "Drowzee" and "Hypno" are just ugly, yellow and disturbing ripoffs of Munna and Musharna. Come on, you really need to do your homework man...".
    How strange that fake games would have a page on the official Pokemon website. Does he think you need magical powers to make computer graphics?

It can be hard to convince kids that they're wrong. In early Gen 4 I occasionally babysat my friend's 8-year-old son, who had Diamond. During his Infernape's attacks he would scribble on the touch screen because it makes the attack more powerful. I pointed out that if that was true the screen wouldn't be blank. Blank like the look he gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by stylesbk View Post
    With all the info that's on the internet in today's age most kids can look up what's true or not, personally I liked it all better when it was all a mystery until you figured it out for yourself.
    I suspect that kids do look things up online but they believe anything they see. If it's on YouTube, it must be true!
    Last edited by Lady Umbreon; 31st December 2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: adding

Wow... never had that happen. That's sad and hilarious at the same time. I have had some of my kids at work ask me who Mewtwo was, but even so they're fairly knowledgeable about older generations and they've never tried to tell me that real Pokemon are fakes.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

That is funny plus I find it a nice change from all the "There all only 150 Pokemon" "Gen 5 are not real Pokemon and suck!" ^^

OUCH! HOW DARE HE SAY BULBASAUR IS FAKE!!!*heavy breathing* hmmm i wonder..is there an iwata asks about pokemon? 'cause if so there might be some old pokemon in it...later if i find one i will put a link to it in my post, then you show it to him and say "this is one of the creators of pokemon." Maybye he will belive Iwata!

EDIT:Look at the quote i found! Morimoto: "Well, the original titles were released for the Game Boy Color, so with the Nintendo DS, the hardware has skipped over the Game Boy Advance to land two generations ahead, so..." Iwata: "So would you say the evolution is rather like that of a Bulbasaur that's skipped the stage of being an Ivysaur and gone straight to a Venusaur?"

And The link: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interv...ds/pokemon/0/5

Let me know if it works!
    Last edited by Espeon EX; 2nd January 2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Link
    {Credit to TheSketchQueen}

Two awesome characters I created: Mitzy the female , and Espeon the Male . Both were created for the forum game, Pokemon Big Brother.

Espeon EX

Yeah only It was a rumor that actually worked. It was Missingo

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Yeah only It was a rumor that actually worked. It was Missingo
    Mew also worked for me on pokemon red
    . Pokemon Black FC : 2151 3135 7016

. Pokemon White 2 FC : 4814 6076 9041

. Pokemon Y FC : 3325 1707 2950
    | shiny pokemon caught (and bred) in Y : 36

Maddie's successful MM shinies in White 2
    . no shiny charm used .

Current shiny hunt: Torchic - 500+ eggs hatched

Spoiler:- MM results:

the internet is how they knew.. stuff can survive forever online.. it's like urban legends passed on over the years...

but my most annoyed would be..

this gen is the last gen.. and then they give dumb reasons why -_-

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

I know a couple of kids who finally heard about Mew being under the truck. It's funny, because they only really have gen 4 games, so they don't know what this "truck" is.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    I've never met a kid with a generational preference. They tend to judge Pokemon based on looks and power. Most don't really have a concept of "generation" since they've only lived through one or two (this year's 5th graders were in kindergarten when Gen 4 started). To the first graders I was talking about Mewtwo is just as new as Genesect.

At least those kids listened to me. I've had kids stick with their misinformation even after I've pointed out the truth. One boy (who had previously told me he wasn't allowed on Pokemon fansites and his Internet usage was closely monitored) insisted that Wonder Guard Shedinja was given out as a Wi-Fi event.
    Last edited by Lady Umbreon; 19th December 2012 at 2:27 AM. Reason: clarifying

It honestly makes me so happy they even know about the original 151 Pokemon, lol.
    It makes me not feel like an old 18 year old fart.

Well, there are a lot of youtube videos about people modding the games to make it look like mewthree was a real event and catch them. I believed them as a kid so they probably also.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast