Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 175

Thread: Exercise and Fitness Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    606

    Default Exercise and Fitness Thread

    I didn't see an exercise or fitness thread here, so I thought I'd make one.

    I've been exercising for a year now, and I'm in the best shape of my life. I haven't felt this good in years.

    I thought it'd be interesting to get a discussion going and to see how many people here go to the gym or live a clean and healthy lifestyle.

    I guess we can discuss this thread now

    PS. If this thread exists, feel free to delete it moderators.
    Nintendo Gamer since 1999.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Sadly the only time I exercise is when im in my gym class(weight room)
    Shiny Count: 50

    Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

    Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    There was a thread.. it died in page 2 and beyond of SPPF misc

    also, i have wanted to bulk up (ie: build muscles), but college course work has claimed my soul

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I like topic about wellness of the body too. I'm new here and this site really captured my interest because I love Pokemon. I exercise not that often but I ensure that I always eat nutritious foods.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    434

    Default

    i used to be on a swim team but then we lost our coach so i dropped out. since then i've been kind of working out on my own and keeping in shape, and it must be working because i have a better physique now than i did then. i'd still like to build up more muscle so people stop saying i'm scrawny and weak :P


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    There was a thread.. it died in page 2 and beyond of SPPF misc

    also, i have wanted to bulk up (ie: build muscles), but college course work has claimed my soul
    i'm going to mitigate this by bulking up BECAUSE OF a course next semester. same department in which i took a skydiving course a couple years ago.

    i love that entire goddamn department sometimes.
    last.fm
    facebook


    OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I had a buddy who was a fitness nut so I hit the gym with him regularly, I was in the best shape of my life, but when I moved that all changed.

    I have never been one to exercise. I was underweight as a kid and when I hit my 20s it caught up with me, I've had a gut ever since.
    I keep saying that I need to lose it, but I can never stick to an exercise regiment.
    I will start exercising and then something will throw me off track and it comes to a full and complete stop.

    Now I don't expect any sympathy or anything of the sort, but I know my flaws.
    What I could use is an exercise buddy or someone for moral support.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    There was a thread.. it died in page 2 and beyond of SPPF misc

    also, i have wanted to bulk up (ie: build muscles), but college course work has claimed my soul
    probably because nobody here takes fitness seriously

    I love to exercise. Weight lifting is my favorite thing to do. freaking love lifting man
    I do Powerlifting in High School, which is like, literally competitive weight lifting. The lifts you do at the Powerlifting Meets are Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. My first meet of the season (senior year btw) is sometime in January.
    If you lift frequently then you'll know what a Max is so I'll post my most recent numbers:

    Bench- 250
    Squat- 340
    Deadlift- 350
    Power Clean- 215
    these are all "raw" numbers, meaning I didn't use a Bench Suit, Squat Suit, or Knee Wraps to aide with my lifts.

    hopefully more people post in this thread because i enjoy talking about fitness and lifting man i love it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    This must be the place.
    Posts
    452

    Default

    I'm trying to get myself into a routine for sprints and various other workouts in between the days I go to the gym to practice my gymnastics. It's difficult to find the right balance because gymnastics requires basically every muscle in the body, and if I over-work something I'll be uncomfortably soar and unable to accomplish much. My legs are still stronger than my lungs though, so I can do difficult sprints to strengthen my lungs, without straining my legs too much.

    Also, I love gymnastics. Never had more fun in a sport since martial arts.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

    pock pock pock

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eBay Huckster View Post
    i'm going to mitigate this by bulking up BECAUSE OF a course next semester. same department in which i took a skydiving course a couple years ago.

    i love that entire goddamn department sometimes.
    i don't understand?
    but anyways, the classes i am taking tends to drain my energy and time just to get the information down LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    probably because nobody here takes fitness seriously

    I love to exercise. Weight lifting is my favorite thing to do. freaking love lifting man
    I do Powerlifting in High School, which is like, literally competitive weight lifting. The lifts you do at the Powerlifting Meets are Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. My first meet of the season (senior year btw) is sometime in January.
    If you lift frequently then you'll know what a Max is so I'll post my most recent numbers:

    Bench- 250
    Squat- 340
    Deadlift- 350
    Power Clean- 215
    these are all "raw" numbers, meaning I didn't use a Bench Suit, Squat Suit, or Knee Wraps to aide with my lifts.

    hopefully more people post in this thread because i enjoy talking about fitness and lifting man i love it
    Good luck. We'll see when this thread dies again lol. the old thread got up to page 2 or 3 before it dies

    what's a power clean?

    also, threads like this always surprise me... I never think weight lifting and pokemon go together

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    i don't understand?
    but anyways, the classes i am taking tends to drain my energy and time just to get the information down LOL



    Good luck. We'll see when this thread dies again lol. the old thread got up to page 2 or 3 before it dies

    what's a power clean?

    also, threads like this always surprise me... I never think weight lifting and pokemon go together
    How to Power Clean
    Firstly, this is Misc, a place on SPPf where pokemon discussion actually does not occur. (because it can be done on other parts of the forum newsflash!!!1)
    and why not? you don't have to be a skinny physically inept nerd to play pokemon. that is a very naive generalization you have going there

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    How to Power Clean
    Firstly, this is Misc, a place on SPPf where pokemon discussion actually does not occur. (because it can be done on other parts of the forum newsflash!!!1)
    and why not? you don't have to be a skinny physically inept nerd to play pokemon. that is a very naive generalization you have going there
    true. but i get the impression that i will only meet people who are into both physical activity and pokemon are only on the internet, hahaha.
    *not true in RL, at all lol

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    probably because nobody here takes fitness seriously

    I love to exercise. Weight lifting is my favorite thing to do. freaking love lifting man
    I do Powerlifting in High School, which is like, literally competitive weight lifting. The lifts you do at the Powerlifting Meets are Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. My first meet of the season (senior year btw) is sometime in January.
    If you lift frequently then you'll know what a Max is so I'll post my most recent numbers:

    Bench- 250
    Squat- 340
    Deadlift- 350
    Power Clean- 215
    these are all "raw" numbers, meaning I didn't use a Bench Suit, Squat Suit, or Knee Wraps to aide with my lifts.

    hopefully more people post in this thread because i enjoy talking about fitness and lifting man i love it
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...uff-Discussion
    13 pages of at least semi-serious discussions.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    i don't understand?
    but anyways, the classes i am taking tends to drain my energy and time just to get the information down LOL



    Good luck. We'll see when this thread dies again lol. the old thread got up to page 2 or 3 before it dies

    what's a power clean?

    also, threads like this always surprise me... I never think weight lifting and pokemon go together
    Brawley, Bruno, and the weird Fighting Dojo guys would challenge you haha
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/291z3g7.jpg[/IMG]

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScytheSwipe View Post
    Brawley, Bruno, and the weird Fighting Dojo guys would challenge you haha
    Oh snap! XD
    I better get my flying types.

    and wow, the other thread was 9 pages, I did not remember that haha

    On topic:
    you guys think I can do bodyweights exercise over the break?
    There's like no iron at home lol. I'll have to make do with something

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    Oh snap! XD
    I better get my flying types.

    and wow, the other thread was 9 pages, I did not remember that haha

    On topic:
    you guys think I can do bodyweights exercise over the break?
    There's like no iron at home lol. I'll have to make do with something
    Bodyweight exercises are good for stamina, but free weights are better for strength. However, with lack of other options, bodyweight exercises does suffice as substitute for short periods.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Wink

    I train 2 hours per day - work out for one hour in the gym at morning and swim in the pool for about one hour at afternoon. I have been exercising this way since March of this year.

    I'm in the best shape of these years, but it's still a lot of work yet. I want to obtain more results.

    I was about to make a similar thread soon, but you made it first! Nice thread, dude!
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 20th December 2012 at 3:56 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    I mainly do cardio and stuff. My sister is overweight so I'm trying to get her into working out now. We've only worked out once together so far though. Luckily, there's a break coming up for her and I'll probably get her moving throughout those days.

    Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    2,956

    Default

    I lift weights six days a week for around half an hour each day. I've been using this schedule for a couple months now, but I've been lifting for close to two years. What bothers me is that while I have built some muscle, it's not even close to how much most people who lift have. My guess is because my body is not fully grown yet and I'm still relatively young, so hopefully I will start to bulk up.

    Also, does anyone know if it is true that your growth is stunted by weight lifting? I used to be pretty tall, but ever since I started lifting my growth has gradually decreased and I am now of average height, but again, it may just be because I haven't finished growing yet.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    I lift weights six days a week for around half an hour each day. I've been using this schedule for a couple months now, but I've been lifting for close to two years. What bothers me is that while I have built some muscle, it's not even close to how much most people who lift have. My guess is because my body is not fully grown yet and I'm still relatively young, so hopefully I will start to bulk up.

    Also, does anyone know if it is true that your growth is stunted by weight lifting? I used to be pretty tall, but ever since I started lifting my growth has gradually decreased and I am now of average height, but again, it may just be because I haven't finished growing yet.
    What muscle gain you get from the training mainly depends on what exercises you do, how you perform those exercises, how heavy weights you lift, what and how much you eat and genetics. With unfavorable genetics, it doesn't matter how ideal your training is, you still won't get as strong as those with better genetics.

    The growth is not stunted by weight lifting, but your spine can be slightly compressed after a few years of doing squats, resulting in getting slightly shorter.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Believe it or not I actually take exercise pretty seriously. I run about 5miles on average a day excluding weekends where I may or may not take a break. I think the primarily reason I do not see big muscle mass gains is because I eat so much carbs and probably need to intake more protein. Even with bumping up the weights curling and the like have physically only left me more toned.

    People tell me more reps for tone and more weight for mass. Idk if that holds true for everybody though.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/291z3g7.jpg[/IMG]

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    I was never very good in PE to begin with (except in a few sports), so I'm not a fan of exercise, personally. I don't know if it's because I'm not very flexible, my small stature, or what, but I was always struggling in PE. (Seriously, I freakin' hated doing those stretching-machine thingies. The back of my knees tense up and hurt like hell whenever I do leg stretches, which is why I can't bend over to touch the ground without bending my knees. My father's seventy-one-year-old mother can do it without issue, that's how bad it is for my mom, my brothers, and I. It's a nasty effect from having a grandmother who contracted polio as a baby.)

    I will, however, go on walks with my brothers sometimes. We started doing that... if not last year, sometime in 2010. We would just walk around picking up cans so we can get some cash from the recycling places and save them for Disneyland (which we went to this summer). Ever since we got our PokéWalkers, we were more than willing to go out for walks because Pokémon. After we went to Disneyland, we've kinda stopped going on walks. And especially now that my brothers are working and the schedules are sporadic, I've kinda just given up. I'm not in bad shape, anyway. I've always been pretty thin (though I've gained a small muffin top since I began living with my grandparents xD, I like poking it) I'm of a healthy weight for my size (always remained around the 100-pound mark), and I'm not terribly ill or achy or anything. Besides, we got Wii Fitness that we'll pull out every once in a while for the heck of it.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    add me on kik winkface
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyy View Post
    I lift weights six days a week for around half an hour each day. I've been using this schedule for a couple months now, but I've been lifting for close to two years. What bothers me is that while I have built some muscle, it's not even close to how much most people who lift have. My guess is because my body is not fully grown yet and I'm still relatively young, so hopefully I will start to bulk up.

    Also, does anyone know if it is true that your growth is stunted by weight lifting? I used to be pretty tall, but ever since I started lifting my growth has gradually decreased and I am now of average height, but again, it may just be because I haven't finished growing yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What muscle gain you get from the training mainly depends on what exercises you do, how you perform those exercises, how heavy weights you lift, what and how much you eat and genetics. With unfavorable genetics, it doesn't matter how ideal your training is, you still won't get as strong as those with better genetics.

    The growth is not stunted by weight lifting, but your spine can be slightly compressed after a few years of doing squats, resulting in getting slightly shorter.
    There ya go. No it does not stunt growth
    the spine compression is temporary though, I am pretty sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScytheSwipe View Post
    Believe it or not I actually take exercise pretty seriously. I run about 5miles on average a day excluding weekends where I may or may not take a break. I think the primarily reason I do not see big muscle mass gains is because I eat so much carbs and probably need to intake more protein. Even with bumping up the weights curling and the like have physically only left me more toned.

    People tell me more reps for tone and more weight for mass. Idk if that holds true for everybody though.
    More reps (10-15) at light(er) weight equates to tonign, yes. While less reps (5-8) at heavier weight will give you more mass and more strength.
    I go for less reps for strength because of the sport I am in.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    This must be the place.
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    The back of my knees tense up and hurt like hell whenever I do leg stretches, which is why I can't bend over to touch the ground without bending my knees.
    That's a normal pain when you're doing stretches. If you stretch consistently and push through the initial pain, it'll become much easier and, well, obviously, you'll become more flexible. If standing stretches hurt too much at first, it might be easier to start with sitting stretches.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

    pock pock pock

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    There ya go. No it does not stunt growth
    the spine compression is temporary though, I am pretty sure.
    It's not temporary. I know people in their 40s that have gotten slightly shorter (about 1 inch) from doing squats weekly during many years.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •