Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's not temporary. I know people in their 40s that have gotten slightly shorter (about 1 inch) from doing squats weekly during many years.
    Well granted, this is over the course of many years. Not quite an immediate occurrence.
    Though the "oh squats will stunt my growth" is not even a issue.
    oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by SugarFreeJazz View Post
    That's a normal pain when you're doing stretches. If you stretch consistently and push through the initial pain, it'll become much easier and, well, obviously, you'll become more flexible. If standing stretches hurt too much at first, it might be easier to start with sitting stretches.
    I've tried multiple times, I honestly hurt in the back of my knees whenever I do leg stretches. My brothers have this issue, my mom has this issue, even my cousins have reported this. My grandmother had polio as a baby, and she still suffers from the symptoms. There's reported cases of children and even grandchildren of polio survivors having similar symptoms of polio without having contracted it. One of the symptoms are aches and pains in the joints, and that's what I have. I've always had aches in the back of my knees, and occasionally in my elbows, and I can't run for very long without getting tired out quickly.

Looking this up, I think this is Post-polio syndrome. I hear there are ways to treat this, but I don't know what those are. I've been finding interesting articles about it, though. It's a pain (ha) to deal with when it presents itself, which is rare these days since I graduated high school, but I'm not one to complain. Even then, as long as I'm not over-weight or having heart problems, I'm fine with what I do. Seems to work for me just fine.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I exercise quite a bit. I walk and run a lot so it helped me get in shape. I race my little brother a bunch of times so that's more running. My physical education class helps me get in shape quite a bit. I am in a pretty good shape if I do say so myself.

Since I'm too occupied with homework after school, I get up at 5am on school days every day and go weight lifting.

And is there any way to get the same benefits of doing squats without compressing your spine? (besides leg press)
    HOW TO HEAR KYUREM'S CRY IN REAL LIFE:
    1. Blow your nose

I play tennis about 3-4 times a week outside of school when the season isn't going on.When it is happening, it it's 3+ hours a day, every day. In school for Pe, I have running on Monday/Tuesday, weight training on Wednesday/Thursday, and friday I do more running. I've slimmed down so much since 3 years ago. My BMI used to be like 22.3, and now it's 19.2

Thank you based Turpoo

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I've tried multiple times, I honestly hurt in the back of my knees whenever I do leg stretches. My brothers have this issue, my mom has this issue, even my cousins have reported this. My grandmother had polio as a baby, and she still suffers from the symptoms. There's reported cases of children and even grandchildren of polio survivors having similar symptoms of polio without having contracted it. One of the symptoms are aches and pains in the joints, and that's what I have. I've always had aches in the back of my knees, and occasionally in my elbows, and I can't run for very long without getting tired out quickly.

Looking this up, I think this is Post-polio syndrome. I hear there are ways to treat this, but I don't know what those are. I've been finding interesting articles about it, though. It's a pain (ha) to deal with when it presents itself, which is rare these days since I graduated high school, but I'm not one to complain. Even then, as long as I'm not over-weight or having heart problems, I'm fine with what I do. Seems to work for me just fine.
    Ah, I didn't know that was a thing, actually. It sounds a lot like arthritis.

I decided to look both of those up for clarification, and it turns out that symptoms of post-polio are arthritis and heart conditions, among a long list of other things. Oy, that sucks. Sounds like you're making the best of it though, which is good to hear.
    [IMG]http://i37.*******.com/2d164cz.png[/IMG]

pock pock pock

I mostly do interval training with some weight and resistance(I came up with my own work out regimen), but I have recently become interested in isometrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
    Since I'm too occupied with homework after school, I get up at 5am on school days every day and go weight lifting.

And is there any way to get the same benefits of doing squats without compressing your spine? (besides leg press)
    If you can do squats with the extra weight but without putting a barbell on the back of your neck, the spine shouldn't compress. This can be done by holding a dumbbell in each hand to get the wanted weight. There also are some machines that puts the weight on the top of your shoulders so that your trapezius muscle holds the weight, but otherwise are like squats. (Pic: link)

I've been a little hesitant on exercising lately, I plan to start on boxing within the next month, if I can find a place that does boxing in Massachusetts that is -_-

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

I'm not really the exercise person but I manage to keep my health in good progress so I can avoid diabetes and such.

I love exercising, I'm really young though (14). I have a routine and all (200 push-ups mondays, wednesdays, fridays with breaks and as many sit ups as I feel like + fitness (machine workout, weights) on tuesdays and thursdays). On weekends I don't really work-out, should do though. What I really can't get myself doing is get a good "diet", and find myself eating unhealthy stuff more than healthy stuff -.- I'm still trying to improve though. I've asked my mom to stop buying some of the unhealthy things I used to buy and she stopped, so I guess that's a plus. Anyways, I really like exercising xD

Oh and for anyone that needs motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Oh and for anyone that needs motivation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
    I was expecting a Rocky Balboa training montage.

i partake in yoga
    Bug-Type Represent !
    I am the Big Bad moth, if you want some, come get some..

I'm about to do an ab workout. Feeling pretty bad about myself this holiday season. As much as i thought I wanted to bulk up after I gained the weight I actually feel worse.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/291z3g7.jpg[/IMG]

I only excercise during football conditioning during the summer only (Thank god).But i eat to much **** sooooo. Ya

THE DANCE OF YOUR LIFE #TEAMVAGETA

Signature edited due to Rule Breaking- check this: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=430446

6th Gen Future Partner^

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    i partake in yoga :)
    See, now that's what I've been trying for some time now. It's pretty neat, I like how afterwards I never feel completely spent like I do when I, say, run. :P I've gotten much more flexible, and that's great, but now I have a different problem.

I have no endurance. My cardiovascular system has got to be garbage because I never stick to running. Yoga is easier to stick to because most of it just feels godly...some of those stretches will relax muscles you didn't even realize were tense before! It's incredible. D: Running on the other hand...I get exhausted quickly, and afterwards I don't feel all limp and noodly, I feel tense and suffocated.

I have a problem with the backs of my calves tightening when I'm running uphill sometimes, not sure why that happens because a few of my friends run track and field and they never have that problem.

One of them recommended a foam roller, and I don't own one but I use my can of hairspray and that seems to help...pretty much anything cylindrical rubbing on your muscles seems to be good. xD

Do any of you that run/walk for extended periods of time have any 'secrets' to keep from tightening up so badly? Or do you consider that part of the 'experience'?

I'm on my schools cross country and track teams, so I get my running in each day. We also hit the weight room, so I'm also sorta jacked.
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/343jiwx.png[/IMG]
    Keeping the classics alive

Quote Originally Posted by MasterLucario View Post
    I'm on my schools cross country and track teams, so I get my running in each day. We also hit the weight room, so I'm also sorta jacked.
    :)
    Do your calves get really tight by the time you're done? Maybe I just don't run enough and it'll stop hurting once I start doing it daily and am used to it. :P

I mainly focus on cardio work nowadays. I have neither the patience nor commitment to change my diet in a way which will see me put on muscle weight/bulk (plus lifting weights is ****ING BORING AS ****). I'm also of the thought that any weight I put on in my 20's when I'm fit and healthy will have to be maintained in my 40's when I'm beginning to decline.

Most of work then is done in the pool or on the treadmill / football pitch.

The only parts of my body that get exercised daily are my thumbs.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by Doux View Post
    See, now that's what I've been trying for some time now. It's pretty neat, I like how afterwards I never feel completely spent like I do when I, say, run. :P I've gotten much more flexible, and that's great, but now I have a different problem.

I have no endurance. My cardiovascular system has got to be garbage because I never stick to running. Yoga is easier to stick to because most of it just feels godly...some of those stretches will relax muscles you didn't even realize were tense before! It's incredible. D: Running on the other hand...I get exhausted quickly, and afterwards I don't feel all limp and noodly, I feel tense and suffocated.

I have a problem with the backs of my calves tightening when I'm running uphill sometimes, not sure why that happens because a few of my friends run track and field and they never have that problem.

One of them recommended a foam roller, and I don't own one but I use my can of hairspray and that seems to help...pretty much anything cylindrical rubbing on your muscles seems to be good. xD

Do any of you that run/walk for extended periods of time have any 'secrets' to keep from tightening up so badly? Or do you consider that part of the 'experience'?

Yeah yoga's pretty good bro, obviously if you can balance it with other physical activities you can become quite healthy, cause most of the stretches involved with often help regulate and improve circulation and blood flow. Not to mention it'll allow the energy centers in your body to be exercised by means in which otherwise wouldn't. Which in turn allows more body muscle to be increase and fat decreased.

Quote Originally Posted by Doux View Post
    Yoga is easier to stick to because most of it just feels godly...
    I love you. lol
    Bug-Type Represent !
    I am the Big Bad moth, if you want some, come get some..

I lift weights every other day, but I don't really have a strict diet. I eat well enough, but I have a high metabolism, so I could basically eat anything and work it off.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

I actually did cardio on my stair master for about 20 minutes. Then did a series of ab work outs (which I should've done more)

First Powerlifting meet coming up on the 12th of January. My squat suit doesn't fit they way I want it to, so I gotta find me a new one before then.
    oopsie

crossfit anyone?

I'm on a swim team. My best strokes are butterfly and freestyle

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast