Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

Some of them were pretty memorable, like Duplica (though she came back in Johto), AJ, Giselle, and the hippie with the Pokéflute to name a few. They were probably better developed one-shot characters, but there were those whom you could tell were just made for that episode, and thus flat as the cel they were painted on (the brothers in the Eevee episode, the samurai and the biker punks, for instance). As a kid, I believed in Ash when he said "one day we'll see each other again".

I was such a fool.

Do I wish they would return in a future episode? Yeah, a few times whenever they came to mind I wished they would show up again, but it only happened at least three times when the plot called for them (Suzie, Todd and Duplica are the ones I can think of at the moment). Even then, my expectations for them weren't really as great, and it slowly made me realize that one-shot characters should just remain as one-shot characters unless the writers could give them a proper re-introduction and keep their characters the same, but add a little more development to them. That's why I feel Duplica is probably one of the few one-shot characters I really liked in the whole series. She was rather unique in that she was a copycat (probably based off Copycat from the games now that I think of it), and in her debut episode, they used her copycat talent to thwart Team Rocket (and poke fun of them), which you don't really get to see much in an episode, a Chekhov's skill--especially one that was a character's signature trait.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I think it would have been nice to see Giselle make a second apperance either in Johto or Hoenn. Would have been nice to see how Ash would react.to seeing her again. I was glad to see Duplica, Todd, and Aya come back a second time though but Giselle should have too!

There are some COTDs that I actually like. For instance, Marina, Evian, and Riku from my avatar. They're interesting and they can even help out the main characters. I know this wasn't introduced in Hoenn, but I remember when this firework guy told Ash and the group that Pokemon can feel with their Trainer is feeling and react to that. That's some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Some of them were pretty memorable, like Duplica (though she came back in Johto), AJ, Giselle, and the hippie with the Pokéflute to name a few. They were probably better developed one-shot characters, but there were those whom you could tell were just made for that episode, and thus flat as the cel they were painted on (the brothers in the Eevee episode, the samurai and the biker punks, for instance). As a kid, I believed in Ash when he said "one day we'll see each other again".

I was such a fool.

Do I wish they would return in a future episode? Yeah, a few times whenever they came to mind I wished they would show up again, but it only happened at least three times when the plot called for them (Suzie, Todd and Duplica are the ones I can think of at the moment). Even then, my expectations for them weren't really as great, and it slowly made me realize that one-shot characters should just remain as one-shot characters unless the writers could give them a proper re-introduction and keep their characters the same, but add a little more development to them. That's why I feel Duplica is probably one of the few one-shot characters I really liked in the whole series. She was rather unique in that she was a copycat (probably based off Copycat from the games now that I think of it), and in her debut episode, they used her copycat talent to thwart Team Rocket (and poke fun of them), which you don't really get to see much in an episode, a Chekhov's skill--especially one that was a character's signature trait.
    The Samurai was actually a well-developed character with a deeply hidden backstory and some really dark roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    The Samurai was actually a well-developed character with a deeply hidden backstory and some really dark roots.
    I probably don't remember him very well, then. Yeah, he's hard to forget, he was probably the first one-shot character in the series, but he just wasn't a personal favorite of mine. I wonder if he ever stopped training in Viridian Forest, though...
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I probably don't remember him very well, then. Yeah, he's hard to forget, he was probably the first one-shot character in the series, but he just wasn't a personal favorite of mine. I wonder if he ever stopped training in Viridian Forest, though...
    I thought I was the only one who didn't like Samurai and I also find Giselle to be overrated as well. She is pretty, yes but that does not make one an interesting character. But yeah, I agree with a lot of your choices from your earlier post. AJ was a huge favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Indigo League.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I thought I was the only one who didn't like Samurai and I also find Giselle to be overrated as well. She is pretty, yes but that does not make one an interesting character. But yeah, I agree with a lot of your choices from your earlier post. AJ was a huge favorite of mine and I would have loved to see him in the Indigo League.
    AJ probably could have made it
    Giselle was an interesting character because she contrasted the happy-go-lucky mood of the anime and brought out others' flaws (like Misty's arrogance).
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

I actually prefer that the COTD get development and have actual little stories, not just stand around and look on in horror as Team Rocket tries to steal their Pokemon. Those tend to be the worst kinds of COTDs.

Ah, COtD's. The plot of filler episodes. Couldn't care less about them.

There are really only a few that I like but most are really just to fill a episode, nothing more. There is hardly a CoTD lately that has left a decent impression on me.

Many CoTDs were not that interesting in my opinion. However, one that I really liked was the coordinator Jeremy, I don't know who remembers him, it was this guy: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...my_%28Kanto%29
    He is probably my favourite CoTD.

Pokémon Link is back!

Forget all the EV, EXP or whatever formulae, the most important and fundamental equation in the world of Pokémon is the following:

Games =/= Anime

I claimed

COTDs is one of the few advantages the anime has over mangas or fan fics. Because, well, they're more realistic. You can't honestly expect going through the region with only meeting your rivals, your mom, your long lost childhood friend blah blah blah. That's why I liked DP. It had a deeper depth of realism in the form of COTDs and fillers, as well as a darker theme sometimes.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    COTDs is one of the few advantages the anime has over mangas or fan fics. Because, well, they're more realistic. You can't honestly expect going through the region with only meeting your rivals, your mom, your long lost childhood friend blah blah blah. That's why I liked DP. It had a deeper depth of realism in the form of COTDs and fillers, as well as a darker theme sometimes.
    I think so too... in concept. Unfortunately, a lot of CoTD episodes have a predictable vibe to them outside of certain standouts and they could've been used to develop the main characters more. It just comes off as "meandering" at times and it seems like the writers are afraid of major plot progression. The concept is good as Doctor Who shows but in Pokemon, they started to get a bit... bland at some point and for me, it wasn't one of DP's finer points save for a few better episodes.

If htey did it write they could of done CoTD so much better. For example they could be arcs and not jsut one shot episodes and in the arc things could happen Ash,battles,gets new pokemon, learns new move etc. The way they do it all in a single is kinda of ehh becasue if you like the CoTD you only get 20 mins with them. also if done this wya they could return thouout the series in contests or other tournament episodes. Sadly the series takes a one story ep approach

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I think so too... in concept. Unfortunately, a lot of CoTD episodes have a predictable vibe to them outside of certain standouts and they could've been used to develop the main characters more. It just comes off as "meandering" at times and it seems like the writers are afraid of major plot progression. The concept is good as Doctor Who shows but in Pokemon, they started to get a bit... bland at some point and for me, it wasn't one of DP's finer points save for a few better episodes.
    Doctor Who has longer episodes, allowing more developed plots/COTDs. The older Doctor Who series was actually split into mini-arcs. I wonder if that wouldn't work for Pokemon.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I do quite enjoy their story's and often they can provide a good backdrop for one of the main character's development and progress, and that includes the Pokemon. I don't think that they've really done a bad COTD (in my personal opinion) in the recent series. Maybe some poor ones but they all appear relevant.

Most Recent Chapter - Chapter 31: Don't Forget Me - Posted 26/01/13
    Credits to Sweet May and DanChimchar

I will pursue You, I will pursue Your presence

Some were interesting and sometimes they have some Pokemon that I like, though some were bland also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Some were interesting, some were not.

It all depends on the character, TBh.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman000 View Post
    Doctor Who has longer episodes, allowing more developed plots/COTDs. The older Doctor Who series was actually split into mini-arcs. I wonder if that wouldn't work for Pokemon.
    Yeah, you gotta fit things into a certain timeframe but even then, thinking outside the box more never hurt. While BW has tried, the executions tend to be... yeah...

I try to not let myself get too attached to COTD anymore. Early on I remember particularly liking Samurai, A.J. and Giselle, and expected them to make comebacks later on, maybe even the Indigo Conference, but alas they never did. They're good though, wouldn't be much of an anime without them!

The best cotds I ever liked were in Hoenn and DP. BF was cool but Johto has some pretty good ones too.

My ideal battle ever!

Katharine was an interesting character including her Gothita.

I fount a lot of COTD to be boring. Also I never wanted one to return.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yeah, you gotta fit things into a certain timeframe but even then, thinking outside the box more never hurt. While BW has tried, the executions tend to be... yeah...
    I've been rethinking this. The Twilight Zone usually runs a half-hour, has no continous characterts, yet it's characters feel developed. If Pokemon had better writers, they could fit a complete story with well-developed characters into the same time frame.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12