Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me who doesn't hate the fillers of Johto?

Default Is it just me who doesn't hate the fillers of Johto?

I started watching the anime again after about ten years or so (I lost Kids WB around 2002 or so), and I actually enjoyed the Johto episodes so far. Not sure what I see in them that others don't seem to, but I enjoy the fillers.

I haven't watched Johto for quite a while and so can't say anything, but I've seen other people defending Johto before. Besides, it's a big fandom- I'm sure there's someone else out there somewhere who shares your opinions.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

I love Johto.

That said the general population doesn't like Johto for a number of reasons. Extremely poor writing, pacing, episode structure, and Team Management among the top offenders. The opening is pretty strong, and so is the Whirl Islands Arch, but sometime in between there's this feeling that Ash is drifting from place to place without any destination in mind. Granted, that was the type of structure I wanted for this Anime we have to remember that Ash is supposed to be training towards the League and he just plain didn't do much of that in the end. As a result we got one of the most interesting groups of weak Pokemon Ash has ever trained. The League seemed to handle it that way too with Ash largely relying on his Reserves to win his battles, especially Charizard.

... anyhow ...

Like any other Region there were good and bad Fillers. We had Fillers like Little Big Horn, For Crying Out Loud, and Forest Grumps that are completely watchable. Then we have episodes where Ash and Co. stand around and do the bare minimal while the Character of the Day solves their own problem. That actually happened. More then once.

No, there's also this guy called pokemon fan 132 who will slam you with a wall of text for hating on anything johto.

Some of those were decent, it was just that there was too many.

Lucky for me I don't fit that category

I can see there was lots of filler, but I was still entertained, though.

Johto had its share of enjoyable episodes whether they were filler or not. The same could be said about any region though.

Johto League Champions wasn't nearly as bad as the second half of Galactic Battles.

It is only you.

I LOVE Johto. The fillers are really great and memorable. Only episode I didn't like was LOL "The Whistle Stop" Anyways I enjoy the fillers but not AG fillers, those are boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    I LOVE Johto. The fillers are really great and memorable. Only episode I didn't like was LOL "The Whistle Stop" Anyways I enjoy the fillers but not AG fillers, those are boring.
    You didn't even watch much of the show past Johto, so why are you commenting on series you've seen nothing of?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Wasn't that the one with the swarm of Ledyba? Not one of my favorites either, though it had its moments.

As for AG, I'm not at that point yet, so I don't know how bad or good the fillers (or the saga in general) are.
    Last edited by Brownie; 22nd December 2012 at 3:41 AM.

Hey, I enjoyed them. Few of the fillers made me laugh =]
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I enjoyed Johto a lot! The way I see it, I feel that many who complain do so because Johto was simply the first "long" series; people weren't used to it's casual pace. Many still aren't. But that doesn't make it bad. I think its great to showcase some everyday heroism. And if it's just not your cup of tea, that's totally fine. But from my experience personally, too many people disregard fillers instead of enjoying them for the simple entertainment they are.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

I've seen all OS, AG, DP and Chronicles episode, and a few BW ones, and I like the OS fillers, including Johto, while the AG ones seem less entertaining to me, and the DP and BW ones bore me. It's probably because I care more about the OS characters (Misty is there, and in OS, I still liked Brock, who went downhill for me in AG and DP, and I already stopped caring about Ash), but also because everything is less game-like. And I just like the Gen I and II Pokemon a lot. I can't really give one clear explanation, but I think the Johto fillers are fine, and better than the AG, DP and BW fillers.

I never disliked Johto myself. I hated more of the DP fillers over the Johto fillers tbh.

I'm admit, some fillers were decent like Forest Gumps and Gligarman but the rest urks me. This is why Johto is my 3rd favorite overall saga.

Probably not, by looking at the thread. But I watched Johto and found it boring~

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    As for AG, I'm not at that point yet, so I don't know how bad or good the fillers (or the saga in general) are.
    Neither is the person you're replying to~~~

Wasn't that the one with the swarm of Ledyba?
    It was also One of the few times Jessie used her Lickitung before losing it.

Johto is pretty good. I like Kanto much more but Organe Islands/Johto is good too. Hoenn is much worse and I don't even wanna know how much worse the rest is (but I will watch everything).

Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaUGS View Post
    Johto is pretty good. I like Kanto much more but Organe Islands/Johto is good too. Hoenn is much worse and I don't even wanna know how much worse the rest is (but I will watch everything).
    Considering how obviously biased you are towards misty I really doubt it.

Yeah I really like that char and I do understand the fact that you question me on how biased I maight be.
    But I really like Brock too and should be very "biased" there too. Even then I consider Orange Islands like a good saga.

Misty leaving the cast is a big reason I don't like Hoenn as much but it is tons of other things too.

-The Pokemons does not feel like Pokemon for me. I guess this maybe makes me "biased" but what the hell if we keep going like this we are all biased and it comes to personal taste.
    - Emotions: Worse for sure. The connection between mostly Ash and the Pokemons he has feels not as big as they used to in the early parts of the anime
    - I like when Ash do have more of a "rivalry" thing with gym leaders in Kanto then this friendly thing he has with pretty much everyone in all the other sagas (but a combination of both would be good too)
    - Re learning much stuff. Seriously after 300 episodes he is trying to catch Pokemons by just throwing the ball (after telling May she can't do it that way)
    - He wanna become a champion but refuse to actually use the strongest Pokemon he has (Charizard) in the Hoenn League
    - Less fun in generall. Also personal taste (like everything) but I do think Misty adds a extra spice that is really fun to watch.

One thing that is really good in Hoenn though (Yes Im not completly biased like you/others maybe think)
    - Gave May more episodes as a own char then they gave Misty. Even if I don't like contests (Im not a fan of "judgeing" sports in generall so it maybe is because of that) it is good they try to develope the char but then Max should have had a bit more but yeah great thing they tried to make May a better char

And yeah probably something else too but I can't really remember atm.

Edit:
    Yeah the fact that they don't have as many "stupid wins" in Hoenn is also good. Ash Pikachu had tons of random victorys by aiming his thunder to the horn/tongue etc
    Some strategys Ash use in Hoenn while fighting is also pretty good and shows that he is actually learning much
    Last edited by ArmadaUGS; 27th December 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Johto is pretty amazing. Those who hate it are not real Pokémon fans.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Johto is pretty amazing. Those who hate it are not real Pokémon fans.
    So not having your opinion makes someone not a Pokemon fan?

Well it's good that you have reasons, but most just bash everything after Hoenn with no reasons other than Misty isn't there.

Tbh many people bash even Hoenn cause that was the region that had Pokemons many old fans don't recognize. So Pokemon was not "outstanding" anymore (like basically every kid was playing Pokemon or had the cards/watched the anime or doing Pokemon related stuff)
    But yeah this is probably different depending on where you live (and when it came to that specific country) so Im more talking about Sweden in this specific answer. But yeah I don't like when people hate on things without giving it a chance.

That's also why I decided to watch the entire anime after many years without it cause I actually wanna see how everyting turned out and not just hear what people say without even watching it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast