Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me who doesn't hate the fillers of Johto?

It depends on which fillers are we talking about because there weren't many that I did like.

Wired for battle was my favorite.
    The Smoochum one.
    The Houndoom one. (would have been better if Togepi wasn't there)
    The Ashuchu one was cool.
    The grass competition
    The seaking competition was awesome.

I can name more but I don't have the time.

My ideal battle ever!

I don't hate them. Even the lamest episodes usually had a redeeming feature. Johto's best fillers were better than any other sagas fillers and the lamest fillers werr better than the other sagas lamest fillers.

I agree. The fillers had their own story. I really liked the ruins episode with the staff to control pOkmeon in a certain area. Too bad I didn't see a whole lot, but I saw a good bit.
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

I found Kanto and Johto were my two favorite regions in the show, and game.
    Yes, I do actually like the fillers. They're always entertaining, and have good little mini-plots, even though they don't contribute to the overall story of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    I agree. The fillers had their own story. I really liked the ruins episode with the staff to control pOkmeon in a certain area. Too bad I didn't see a whole lot, but I saw a good bit.
    It was too funny was Jessie was using that thing. xD
    Last edited by Sushi; 1st January 2013 at 6:51 PM.

I watched the fillers in Kanto/Johto, but later gens I only really watch Gym battles, Tournaments and Leagues.

My fave Pokemon ^.^

Don't click this. Really.

I remember the Johto fillers. It just felt like a really long time waiting for the next gym to come. I think they got progressively better with Hoenn and Sinnoh and Unova is too short to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I started watching the anime again after about ten years or so (I lost Kids WB around 2002 or so), and I actually enjoyed the Johto episodes so far. Not sure what I see in them that others don't seem to, but I enjoy the fillers.
    Nope. I'm actually with you on this opinion: I liked the Johto fillers. It's the Sinnoh fillers I wasn't too keen on, namely the ones from the Snowpoint City Gym to the Sunyshore city Gym (7th to 8th Gym Badge). Too long a gap from gym to gym there. XD.

Though I thought it could be because Johto was the first region to feature such extensive amount of filler episodes, but I've been rewatching and loving all the Johto episodes, so I don't think that's the case anymore. I don't really know why I like them so much either.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 1st January 2013 at 9:38 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

IMO the better Johto fillers were the ones that focused on Team Rocket, oddly enough. The fillers that were just made to introduce a new pokemon and for Ash to help its trainer were usually the terrible ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    IMO the better Johto fillers were the ones that focused on Team Rocket, oddly enough. The fillers that were just made to introduce a new pokemon and for Ash to help its trainer were usually the terrible ones.
    I liked the ones that focused on TRio the best as well: definitely more than the ones where Ash had to help a trainer while introducing a new Pokemon, which are worse to me, but I didn't think they were terrible (IMO, of course).
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I liked the ones that focused on TRio the best as well: definitely more than the ones where Ash had to help a trainer while introducing a new Pokemon, which are worse to me, but I didn't think they were terrible (IMO, of course).
    Depends which ones. I hated the fillers about Ledyba, Hoppip, Wooper, Sunflora, Remoraid, Snubbull, Chinchou, Murkrrow, etc. for example. Such boring repetitive episodes.

Although there were some good ones early on like the Houndour one and the Hoot Hoot forest ep. The Ursaring ep was great too.

Depends which ones. I hated the fillers about Ledyba, Hoppip, Wooper, Sunflora, Remoraid, Snubbull, Chinchou, Murkrrow, etc. for example. Such boring repetitive episodes.

Although there were some good ones early on like the Houndour one and the Hoot Hoot forest ep. The Ursaring ep was great too.
    I definitely liked the Hondour and the Hoot Hoot ones lol. I can see why someone would dislike the others- it does get very redundant after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I definitely liked the Hondour and the Hoot Hoot ones lol. I can see why someone would dislike the others- it does get very redundant after a while.
    The Wobbufett fillers were very funny. Sadly Wobbufett does very little to nothing in AG and DP so this is the only saga it was actually good in.

The Wobbufett fillers were very funny. Sadly Wobbufett does very little to nothing in AG and DP so this is the only saga it was actually good in.
    I have to agree with that one. Ever since then, he just annoyed me for the most part. lol.

You're not alone; I actually enjoy Johto fillers! They're entertaining, and in the end, that's really what counts.

~marioluigifan05

Most weren't though. The eps that were entertaining were probably the eps that weren't really fillers like those tournament episodes, which were one of the few highlights. Mainly the Sumo competition and that other one where TR battled with the Kanto starters.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    You're not alone; I actually enjoy Johto fillers! They're entertaining, and in the end, that's really what counts.

~marioluigifan05
    I agree, they're more entertaining than the dull Hoenn fillers.

The vast majority of Johto's fillers followed the same boring, repetitive formula of Ash helping a one-dimensional filler character with a problem, TR stealing Pikachu, Misty/Brock being background, and Ash doing his usual routine.

Occasionally there was an ep that broke out from the norm, and those were the better eps.

But overall a large chunk of Johto, especially the middle, was god awful and a chore to sit through.

The fact that Takeshi Shudo acknowledged the disdain for them says a lot in itself. In fact Shudo stepped down from the anime becaus he was so disgusted with the direction Johto went in. Say what you will about Shudo but the man was a genius.
    Last edited by CyberCubed; 19th January 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    And DEFINITELY better than every DP filler ever thought up.

Why do you keep commenting on sagas you never watched?
    I'm pretty sure she watched at least a decent amount. It doesn't take 100+ episodes to decide if something is good or bad. No one decided they were OS fans after 251+ episodes.

The vast majority of Johto's fillers followed the same boring, repetitive formula of Ash helping a one-dimensional filler character with a problem, TR stealing Pikachu, Misty/Brock being background, and Ash doing his usual routine.
    The same can be said for most fillers in general, it really depends on how they are executed.

~marioluigifan05

The thing about "fillers" is, episodes that did little in terms of tournaments, gym battles, or even bonding between characters aren't necessarily bad. Some people find pleasure in the simple little everyday heroism, some people don't. That's the bottom line. Sure there may have been some long moments, but I've enjoyed every bit of it. And Cyber, you're gonna need to link to a blog from him or something if you expect anybody to take that statement seriously.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

I like them all too.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Hoenn's fillers were just dreadful. Always the same thing over and over again. At least Johto's fillers had some variety.

I've never hated Johto's fillers to be honest. I think a few were tedious, but many of them were enjoyable. It's the pacing of that saga that bothers me more than the fillers.

For me, it's always been a matter of what kind of filler.

I don't really like the:
    "Help hot girl with Pokemon of the day achieve career goal" kind of fillers.

But there have been some that I've really enjoyed. I remember really liking the one with helping the baby Stantler. Like anything else, some fillers are creative, some are cookie cutter.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Why do you keep commenting on sagas you never watched? The vast majority of Johto's fillers followed the same boring, repetitive formula of Ash helping a one-dimensional filler character with a problem, TR stealing Pikachu, Misty/Brock being background, and Ash doing his usual routine.
    Now that you mentioned i really think your exaggerating a lot in here.

There were plenty of episodes which anything but followed same form. Such as episodes "Hour of Hondour" or "Unbearable" which dealt with wild pokemon who either tried to help sick comrade or manipulated others. There were plenty episodes where we learned more about Misty or Brock. Like "Just Waiting on a Friend" where Ninetales hypnotized Brock with Misty slapping him trying to snap him out. "Some Like it Hot"where we saw nice bond between Misty and Egan revealing why she likes water types.

"Fortune Hunters" where we had characters identifying themselves with pokemon in horoscope being fun to follow their reactions.
    Such as Misty going berserk after finding she is Gyarados, James becoming egocentric when thinking he is like Moltres etc. Interestingly enough when being under such illusion he battled great for change whiping away Butch and Cassidy.

There were many episodes where we got surprising return of Kanto characters like Koga sister Aya, photographer Todd and whole special arc about Articuno or disguise master Duplica which were for most part enjoyable to watch.

Nevertheless all those episodes about side competitions like grass tournament which Ash entered with Bulbasaur, competition where objective was to put down fire, bug competition where Ash went to catch bugs much to Misty dismay or balloon race Ash and co entered.

Or recurring pokemon like Snubull or Delibird which were usually fun to watch.

Seriously Johto had many hidden gems and truly fun episodes with many of them being wrongly labelled as fillers, even when this wasn't the case. But i guess to some its easier to remember something only by its negative parts.

But overall a large chunk of Johto, especially the middle, was god awful and a chore to sit through.
    I was thinking about this lately and when i look at episodes like "Sick Daze", "Better Pill to Swallow", "Wayward Wobbufet", "Heartbreak of Brock", "Hook, line and Stinker" , "Joy of Water Pokemon", Trouble Brewing" etc i ask myself. Was this season composed of only bad things?

Because many episodes like ones i counted were really enjoyable to watch revealing more about Ash, Misty or Brock characters giving us lot of humor and fun interactions.

Say what you will about Shudo but the man was a genius.
    Only negative thing was his tendency to favor certain characters over other ones. I still think removal of redhead was not necessarily most optimal move, but ill save that subject for another day.

It really depends on which fillers you would consider good. Most people say that most of them are pretty boring and pointless. But some are nice just like in the Hoenn and Sinnoh sagas as well. Like I said it all depends.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post

~marioluigifan05
    Exactly. They were all pretty entertaining, and that's all I care about, and it's all the animators cared about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast