Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Episode N - Ash Speculation (Reserves, Quest) - NOT FOR CAPTURES/EVOLUTIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    If that was the case why is Misty and Brock not everyone's favorite companions?
    I would argue that they are; they are definitely the most recognizable/known.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Even if the show does have a final season, again why do you think characters who have been gone for a decade, especially in Misty's case compared to Brock's, would be revived?

The show would likely end with whoever Ash's friend are at the time. A quick Pallet Town party should suffice for everyone else.
    If there is something this show taught us is how long absence of character doesn't mean anything with writers not having any problem in reviving older characters who we haven't see for even longer(like Jessibelle, Butch and Cassidy, Giovanni etc) when they find their return could hold some significance behind it.

If anything when someone returns after very long absence he creates bigger hype and tension among fandom than someone who just recently left shaking up story with his unexpected and anything but predictable return. Additionally it attracts more of older audience toward anime while sparking interest among new generations to get know character and better comprehend show past.

You asked why would writers do such thing? There are several valid reasons. One of them being:making more sense to close down series with first Ash traveling companions forming group with who everything started adding for bigger impact.
    Likewise if writers hypothetically speaking ever decide reuniting first group its pretty obvious how it wouldn't happen in middle of series to avoid clashing with proper promotion of new games making sense only to do it when show comes to an end for continuity purposes and to emphasize better on writers intention of anime going back to its roots.

If that was the case why is Misty and Brock not everyone's favorite companions?
    Someone doesn't need to be liked by everyone to be most popular. Individually characters like Misty and Brock probably aren't more popular than May, Dawn and mot of other characters. But as group judging by backlash their split caused, strangely big demand for reunion and strong following which maintained itself for years after departure serves as pretty good indication how original trio seem like most popular cast.

EDIT: About May switch, most people might know about her and Dawn but Misty and Brock are more recognizable and iconic as characters than those which came afterwards. That's not only case with pokemon, but most other shows as well. For example in Yugioh Yugi and original cast is much more recognizable than Jaden, Yuma, Yusei and any other protagonist which came afterwards never building such brand around themselves.

Likewise popularity of May and contests kinda lose its significance when taken in account how writers still replaced her with Dawn, along with fact that series before that(Johto)had bigger, more solid ratings than Hoenn really had.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 23rd December 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    I would argue that they are; they are definitely the most recognizable/known.
    May was introduced in the anime 10 years ago. Most people know who May and Dawn are. In fact it was May's popularity and the success of the Contest episodes in the anime that likely convinced the writers not to go back to the original trio.

Otherwise the switch would have been reversed like the Brock/ Tracey one was.

May was introduced in the anime 10 years ago. Most people know who May and Dawn are. In fact it was May's popularity and the success of the Contest episodes in the anime that likely convinced the writers not to go back to the original trio.

Otherwise the switch would have been reversed like the Brock/ Tracey one was.
    Everything I've said only applies to a distant final season. I'm not saying Misty and Brock are going to reappear in the middle of Unova, or any other normal season except for cameo appearances.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Everything I've said only applies to a distant final season. I'm not saying Misty and Brock are going to reappear in the middle of Unova, or any other normal season except for cameo appearances.
    And I've said even at the end of the show its unlikely.

And I've said even at the end of the show its unlikely.
    Well, neither of us are going to know anytime soon. Agree to disagree?

Well, neither of us are going to know anytime soon. Agree to disagree?
    Just curious, why do you bring it up? Nobody expects them to do anything important with Misty/Brock outside of minor roles.

Just curious, why do you bring it up? Nobody expects them to do anything important with Misty/Brock outside of minor roles.
    The thread was about re-challenging a League. My first comment said I believed that if Ash was to ever re-challenge a league, it would be Kanto at the very end. I just briefly mentioned that he would be rejoined by all his friends at the end if this happened.

Perhaps because he would like to see them reunited again? I share same sentiment too being intrigued to see Ash old traveling companions joining him on last ride being refreshing for change to see rekindle of friendship between well known friends since they know themselves being more mature nowadays, which could allow for build up on their relation taking it forward.

Misty and Brock are also very popular characters with many missing them liking to see sequel to their stories made getting some more growth. You can be realistic and still want something to happen, right?

And in reality while chance is small, when everything start to be build up toward pokemon conclusion approaching its last season Misty and Brock playing important role in anime again would have certainly bigger chance to happen than now. Since their return would hold actual significance in that case.

But to each their own i guess.

Of course he won't challenge it again. If this is about how short the Unova League was then that could easily be explained by the writers not wanting to put in the effort to actually show some of the rounds and also their haste to start Episode N. And I hope nobody is using the "Champion League" excuse again because it was never mentioned nor implied that we would see it here.

I'm aware of that, and you have a good point; Pokemon was much more popular back then however.
    Well, yeah. Way more people watched Pokémon back in Kanto so Misty and Brock obviously have a huge advantage of being the most recognizable. The games sold better then so everyone who played the games knew who they were and the ratings were better then. But May and Dawn are probably starting to be more nostalgic to people as the years go by like Misty and Brock are nostalgic to us. Personally, I would start to argue May is starting to get a little nostalgic as well. Misty and Brock may be the most recognizable but I have no doubt in my mind that May, Dawn, Cilan and Iris are starting to pick up fans. In fact, I know some people who have watched the show since Kanto who actually don't choose Misty or Brock as their favorite companion.

It will be weird after 15 year of doing something that help him with his goal!!

It's no surprise that the topic has been derailed by sudden Misty and Brock talk.

As for this arc, I hope it brings back DP Ash's anger. He is way too happy-go-lucky in BW. I really liked that Paul, Hunter J, and Team Galactic made him show emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Actually that would be an aweful idea. He might just lose that one too he couldn't beat this pathetic league.
    nd sleep is deadly in kanto

Ideal team in my opinion(if he doesn't actively rotate)...

Pikachu(lol Pikachu)
    Charizard(confirmed, even though I loathe the fact)
    Muk(Among Ash's Kanto mons, he gets the least usage in big battles) or Primeape(lol, dream on).
    Totodile(got shafted in Johto, the wimp of the water-types)
    Torkoal(still the wimp of the Hoenn team, and the overall fire-type wimp)
    Torterra or Buizel. Both suffered in late Sinnoh. Buizel could evolve. Torterra just needs to win a battle, badly.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Well, yeah. Way more people watched Pokémon back in Kanto so Misty and Brock obviously have a huge advantage of being the most recognizable. The games sold better then so everyone who played the games knew who they were and the ratings were better then. But May and Dawn are probably starting to be more nostalgic to people as the years go by like Misty and Brock are nostalgic to us. Personally, I would start to argue May is starting to get a little nostalgic as well. Misty and Brock may be the most recognizable but I have no doubt in my mind that May, Dawn, Cilan and Iris are starting to pick up fans. In fact, I know some people who have watched the show since Kanto who actually don't choose Misty or Brock as their favorite companion.
    Exactly, I've watched the show since I was 6 and Dawn would be my favourite travelling companion but as a whole I prefer the Original Trio and not just for nostolgia either. OT could make filler episodes appealing and it was great to see Ash develop under their coaching especially in the Indigo and Johto Leagues.

Back on topic though I can only see Gible returning to the cast and maybe evolving into Gabite. It would however be great if Bulbasaur or Squirtle or both would show up as well reuniting the Kanto Starter glory

Unfortunately, Charizard coming back is just pandering for the fans, and no other reserves are likely to return.

I guess we should really be focused on Ash's Unova team, which is collectively crap. They (minus Pignite and Krookodile) need some major battle screen-time. The reserves are getting new moves, but we need Oshawott and Snivy to power-up big time.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Gible teaching Axew Draco Meteor would be so awesome. Look out Oshawott

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Unfortunately, Charizard coming back is just pandering for the fans, and no other reserves are likely to return.
    Other reserves can return. Ash being able to transfer his old pokemon to Unova may be explained in the Juniper's Lab episode.

I guess we should really be focused on Ash's Unova team, which is collectively crap. They (minus Pignite and Krookodile) need some major battle screen-time. The reserves are getting new moves, but we need Oshawott and Snivy to evolve big time.
    I took the bother to fix that lol
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    I took the bother to fix that lol
    You RUINED it.

I would rather them retain their personalities since they're unlikely to get much use out of evolving to battle anyway.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

You RUINED it.

I would rather them retain their personalities since they're unlikely to get much use out of evolving to battle anyway.
    Tepig sucked in battles then he evolved and everybody started spouting off these BS claims of how pignite was too good of a battler.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Tepig sucked in battles then he evolved and everybody started spouting off these BS claims of how pignite was too good of a battler.
    Lol, wow. People complain about that? Isn't that a good thing?

You RUINED it.

They can evolve and retain their personality. There was a post about that some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    Lol, wow. People complain about that? Isn't that a good thing?
    Maybe because people don't give a damn about Tepig and prefer the other 2 starters to evolve.

More evolutions would make Satoshi's team look more decent, Scrafty being one of them.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    It's no surprise that the topic has been derailed by sudden Misty and Brock talk.

As for this arc, I hope it brings back DP Ash's anger. He is way too happy-go-lucky in BW. I really liked that Paul, Hunter J, and Team Galactic made him show emotion.
    Ha! It seems I am not the only one to remember that. I rewatched DP episodes yesterday. Even Rica Matsumoto's voice acting was rough in DP. I agree with Ash's personality being toned down this saga. I loved his reactions to few things back then.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Dawn-fave
    that is all. .-...

But old pokemon coming back always brings up hype... I'm gonna quote parts of my conversation in the manga vs anime thread.

"But to be honest, that never bothered me as a child ._...characters coming in that he knew before hand never bothered me. hell, even now, older characters returning, even if you don't even remember them that well, STILL feel new and refreshing. Despite being a Dawn fanboy, I distinctly remember being relatively sad and upset with the pokemon anime when I found out May was going to be replaced. I didn't wanna see her go. Granted, I saw Dawn and the new region (I just hit puberty around that time, don't attack me. @.@), and I got back into it."

And oh boy, if charizard comes back, insta jump back...

Honestly what are people complaining about now? I'm to tired to read it all...if no one wants to answer then thats okay, I'm just too tired to read all of this...
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast