Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 222

Thread: Would you like to see Contest again?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,127

    Default Would you like to see Contest again?

    Would you like to see them return in Gen VI Anime? I feel like they kind of spiced up the anime after Sinnoh it just seemed kind of dull without them

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Would you like to see them return in Gen VI Anime? I feel like they kind of spiced up the anime after Sinnoh it just seemed kind of dull without them
    We'd be sitting through a third female coordinator so not really.

    Do we really need 3 different girls doing contests?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    We'd be sitting through a third female coordinator so not really.

    Do we really need 3 different girls doing contests?
    It was better than Iris's "journey" which was only visited like every twenty episodes and she only trained her Pokemon like every twenty episodes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It was better than Iris's "journey" which was only visited like every twenty episodes and she only trained her Pokemon like every twenty episodes.
    I'd only prefer if the male companion does contests.

    Cilan would have been perfect for a coordinator to be honest. He fit right in with all those older coordinators.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'd only prefer if the male companion does contests.

    Cilan would have been perfect for a coordinator to be honest. He fit right in with all those older coordinators.
    I agree, if he continues to travel with Ash and Contest are still around I'd like to see him participate.

  6. #6

    Default

    Only if it means that May or Dawn will cameo/become main characters again or if the blonde female protagonist from the X and Y games participates in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    YES!!

    But it could be nice if Cilan is the coordinator or add a new twist to contest like dancing round or design round!!

  8. #8

    Default

    God no, they were alright for a one time thing, but then we got given them a second time which pushed too far for my liking. A third time around would bore me massively.

    Iris's treatment is fine for female companions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Between Noland and Adan <3
    Posts
    4,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'd only prefer if the male companion does contests.

    Cilan would have been perfect for a coordinator to be honest. He fit right in with all those older coordinators.

    I agree with this. For the 5 minutes I considered a filler saga in another region I thought Cilan would pick contests up after meeting Dawn.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    No, not really. Receiving third coordinator in a row doing same thing all over again would be beyond repetitive. At least in my opinion, and it would seem like step backwards too being discriminating toward females of each and everyone of them being forced to be put in role of coordinator.

    Initially contests felt refreshing being nice additional quest aside from gym battles for change in Hoenn when May came enjoying in her arc, rivals and growth.

    Admittedly i liked Dawn contest arc to extent too being nice surprise when she was able to almost win GF on first try, but by that point i felt they already run their course becoming stale. They started to lose their steam and appeal they originally used to have with too much focus being put on appeal rounds rather than battling along with many elements from past being overused .

    I actually appreciate that others like Misty, Iris etc have different goals because it adds to variety making them more unique with every character differentiating from each other more that way instead of making it feel like we are following some badly done rehash. Its interesting to see sometimes characters growing in different way than coordinators do not being necessary to enter competitions and collect tokens to measure someones growth.

    Yes they received less focus, but like saying goes its not about quantity, but quality. To this day i found their quests more captivating than contests since they have/had predispositions to be took in several directions rather than just one . Regardless of how i feel about way things were executed.

    So no, i would rather have next girl do something else for change instead of turning her into another coordinator being anything but creative.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    No. That'd be repetitive like others said, and also, do you want to hear THAT IS REMARKABLE for the next four years? Didn't think so.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    For me, it's a yes. I really like Contests. I prefer them more than battles, if Cilan sticks around, I hope there's Contests in the next region. The seem to be popping out of nowhere now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Undisclosed TR base
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Definitely a YES from me. It's been a while since May, Drew, Harley and Solidad went to Johto, which means they've probably already gotten their badges and competed in teh Gradn Festival. If contests come back, there's a good chance we'll see them again.
    Friend Safari: Fighting with Meditite, Tyrogue & Sawk.
    3196-3352-8113
    Kanto villains? Why are you here?!
    Because Unova villains are too stupid to take over Unova!
    [IMG]http://i57.*******.com/2a6uxwo.jpg[/IMG]
    Sig made by me, unfortunately.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Not in Obamaland
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Not after Generation 4 ruined absolutely everything Generation 3 laid out about the formula.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets


    At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

    I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,423

    Default

    No, and this is from a guy who actually liked the DP style of Contest more then the AG ones. I know I'm in the minority big time when I say that, but I'm not afraid to admit it. It's not because I think they have gotten stale, because frankly Ash's Gyms are a snore fest to me nowadays and they've been on the show forever, so if Contest are stale what does that make Gyms?

    The reason I don't want contest is because we already have two characters doing them. I'd like a new quest. Something a new character can call their own without having to constantly be in another girls shadow. This was one of Dawn's major problems, she never escaped May's shadow even after leaving the main cast, so I want a new side quest for the girl or guy to compete in. But if I had to choose between having Contest or another Iris, then I choose Contest. Anything over the treatment of BW which stands for Bad Writing.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I'd only prefer if the male companion does contests.
    I agree. I want to see a boy do them this time. Change it up a bit.

    Cilan would have been perfect for a coordinator to be honest. He fit right in with all those older coordinators.
    That true. He would have been a perfect fit for either that or musicals but they didn't give him anything. I don't think they should do it now after all this time. That would be confusing.

    My ideal battle ever!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Contests were one of my favorite additions to the games and to the show. So, I'd love to see them make a return, but I'm not so sure they will...

    I feel like since the games are becoming so much more advanced, though, that they could really make contests to be more like the anime, with combinations and battle rounds and everything. That would be fun.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Any competition that will keep the cast busy is something that is always welcome in my book. I think they see that kids are more attracted to other kids on this show doing competitions of their own verses those who don't really have anything to do. I think they remember them alot for their accomplishments as well as other things.

    My ideal battle ever!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    No thank you. They were fine in Advance. But in Diamond and pearl they went to far. It's like the show suddenly started starring Dawn instead of Ash. And it didn't help that they sometimes went on for multiple episodes.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    No thank you. They were fine in Advance. But in Diamond and pearl they went to far. It's like the show suddenly started starring Dawn instead of Ash. And it didn't help that they sometimes went on for multiple episodes.
    They didn't have to go to extreme with Dawn like they did but you have to remember that in DP, Dawn was the only new game character that was going to be on the show at that time, so she needed to find a way to stand out from May even though she was still doing contests as well. Back in AG, Ash was alone without Misty or Brock for the first time in a long while plus there was Max and tons of Misty haters. So they didn't want to rub May too much into people's faces at first. This is one reason why I liked May because she wasn't too over the top. However contests were good because it finally gave the girl something pokerelated to do than to sit there. I don't care if we get contests back but we should get some sort of competition so that the girl will have something to do for her sake.

    My ideal battle ever!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    I would love to see contests return. It gave more screentime to the coordinator's Pokemon and it was really fun to watch.
    In snow, the pure white coat covering its body obscures it from predators.
    Dewgong



  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    They didn't have to go to extreme with Dawn like they did but you have to remember that in DP, Dawn was the only new game character that was going to be on the show at that time, so she needed to find a way to stand out from May even though she was still doing contests as well. Back in AG, Ash was alone without Misty or Brock for the first time in a long while plus there was Max and tons of Misty haters. So they didn't want to rub May too much into people's faces at first. This is one reason why I liked May because she wasn't too over the top. However contests were good because it finally gave the girl something pokerelated to do than to sit there. I don't care if we get contests back but we should get some sort of competition so that the girl will have something to do for her sake.
    Agreed. As long as there is a competition that care is related to Pokemon and doesn't necessarily involve battles I'll be fine too. The Contests involved about using moves in different ways than the classic way (ergo, attack to damage or disrupt the foe), so something like that is welcome in my book.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! DP wouldn't have been as good without Dawn's contest arc, they were really fun to watch.


    ....and now, her story begins.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    However contests were good because it finally gave the girl something pokerelated to do than to sit there. I don't care if we get contests back but we should get some sort of competition so that the girl will have something to do for her sake.
    And Misty or Iris never did anything? Just because they didn't entered competitions on daily basis doesn't mean they did nothing seeing them battle, use pokemon, contribute to resolution of plot in episodes, bring humor and good interactions in cast along with getting focus and growth.

    Speaking of contests, now that i think about it i would be interested in seeing Cilan compete in one of them to try it out. But its obviously too late by now.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    If they are like they were in Advanced Generation, then I´s say yes, May and her gang ROCKED, and contests were more attack oriented than flashy crap ... the only good thing about DP contests was Ursula.

    I disagree with those who says Misty and Iris didn´t do anything, Misty got TONS of Water-type Pokémon (apart from Togepi and Azurill) and entered in Water-type competitions, and Iris even feels like a main character with all the development she has had by now, it feels like Ash´s and Iris´s journey (that is one of the things that annoys Ashliebers)
    Last edited by Squirtle_007; 12th January 2013 at 6:33 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •