Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #104

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Though, this does bring up a point I'd like to make; A modest nature is actually extremely viable in Ubers. To give you a good taste of how fast Mewtwo is, a modest, maximum speed Mewtwo will still outrun a timid, maximum speed Latios.
    No it isn't. Darkrai, Shaymin S, and Arceus exist. You also speed tie with other Mewtwo as well. 10% more SA is nice but outrunning EXTREMELY common ubers is more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    No it isn't. Darkrai, Shaymin S, and Arceus exist. You also speed tie with other Mewtwo as well. 10% more SA is nice but outrunning EXTREMELY common ubers is more useful.
    Oh, now I feel like an idiot.

Next time I guess I should look at speed tiers instead of trying to do it from memory...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Why do you need Miracle Eye? I can guarantee you Aura Sphere will hit harder then any good dark types you'll come across in Ubers, and even if you face something like a Skuntank, you'll be giving it a whole extra turn to night slash you or something.
    Does Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, or Energy Ball make a better alternative? I think Flamethrower is the best bet.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Does Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, or Energy Ball make a better alternative? I think Flamethrower is the best bet.
    Ice beam: destroys garchomp,rayquaza, latios, thundurus, shaymin-s, etc good for giratina.
    Thunderbolt: hitting kyogre hard, and stops manaphy, and other water types
    Flamethrower: for steel types that have a resistance to fighting type moves. You still have aura sphere that hits neutral.
    Energy ball: not really worth it. Go with ice beam or thunderbolt

That ok for you to decide which to use

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    question. why did you add options just to say "oh don't uswe this"?
    I included them to be thorough, and because there are people in the world who will criticize someone for not giving them all possible options.

It is worth noting that even if you run a Scarf Mewtwo (which isn't a terrible set, albeit a rare one), you should still run Timid over Modest. It may seem like overkill, but it does give you the ability to outspeed and check a +2 Spe Blaziken and the occasional Scarf Darkrai. Of course, Mewtwo will usually want to run a LO set so that it can abuse its great coverage anyways, and the so-fast-it's-ridiculous Scarf set is usually better pulled off by Shaymin-S with its STAB Air Slash and Seed Flare with Serene Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    ...Scarf Mewtwo...does give you the ability to outspeed and check a +2 Spe Blaziken...

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; is +2 Spe Blaziken really that big of a threat now, that one of the mentioned benefits of running a Choice Scarf on Mewtwo is being able to outrun & check it? (Not that the fact that Mewtwo already has a type advantage over it means Blaziken ought to be retreating anyways.) I mean, true it has some pretty good offensive stats and now carries Speed Boost, but it's defensive stats are marginally better than Absol's; Arceus probably doesn't even need STAB on Extremespeed to OHKO the fire chicken.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

-Take up thy cross and follow Christ Jesus.
    ~Don't underestimate my God~
    ♥I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.♥

I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar, "I don't use "uber" Pokemon," edited out by me because I do use "uber" Pokemon on occasion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask; is +2 Spe Blaziken really that big of a threat now, that one of the mentioned benefits of running a Choice Scarf on Mewtwo is being able to outrun & check it?
    Not so much the reason to run ScarfTwo, just one of the reasons to run Timid ScarfTwo over Modest. And yes, Blaziken is a notable threat in Ubers. It's pretty common, usually around 12% or so usage in Ubers (more than Terrakion in OU last month), and it's one of the more dangerous sweepers of the tier. Literally the only Uber-viable counter to it in the Sun is Giratina, so things like ScarfTwo and Extreme Killer Arceus are other good ways to keep it in check.

(Not that the fact that Mewtwo already has a type advantage over it means Blaziken ought to be retreating anyways.)
    Blaziken easily OHKOs Mewtwo with a +2 Flare Blitz even outside of Sun and can outspeed an unboosted Mewtwo by hitting Protect to stall for a Speed Boost, so if Mewtwo lacks a Scarf, it loses.

I mean, true it has some pretty good offensive stats and now carries Speed Boost, but it's defensive stats are marginally better than Absol's; Arceus probably doesn't even need STAB on Extremespeed to OHKO the fire chicken.
    Arceus's Adamant LO Extremespeed maxes out at about 93% damage, so Blaziken isn't exactly going to roll over and die to just any priority attack. Besides, ScarfTwo isn't something you throw on a team just to check Blaziken. But if you're running one, then you should just use Timid in case you're up against a +2 Blaziken.

Question: How viable is the Event Mewtwo's Electro Ball compared to Tbolt? I haven't had a chance to crunch the numbers yet...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Question: How viable is the Event Mewtwo's Electro Ball compared to Tbolt? I haven't had a chance to crunch the numbers yet...
    Electro Ball generally wouldn't be worth it in Ubers due to the fact that a lot of Pokemon either resist it anyhow, or in the case of pokemon like Kyogre which it would hit super effectively, it will not do more to it than Thunderbolt.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

Electro Ball is useless. Even with Scarf Mewtwo vs Defensive Dialga you are only hitting with a pathetic 80 base power. Thunder, and even Thunderbolt are better. Slower things that MIGHT be hit with 120 or higher BP Electro Ball are things like Chansey or Ferrothorn who are better off being hit with different moves anyhow.

Also Thunder has a 30% Paralysis rate which is cool.

With amnesia mewtwo's special is raised by 2 making him specially bulky and strong.
    i would use this set
    Amnesia
    Psychic
    Blizzard
    Recover
    Amnesia is for the obvious reason of setting up. Use amnesia twice then spam psychic g.g TGOD. Blizzard is there for pokes like exeggutor who would be a dick and live psychic. Recover is good for that longevity. Rest could be used in place of recover to get rid of status but ewww RBY sleep mechanics. Starmie and Slowbro both resist all of mewtwo's attacks but mewtwo doesn't give a **** he just wins. Mewtwo has 130 base speed meaning you do need to watch out for thunder waves coming from a jolteon speed tie or electrode outspeeding. Overall Mewtwo is the best pokemon ever and he totally centralizes the RBY Ubers metagame.

Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

In the couple of RBY Ubers games that I've played, I ran Thunderbolt over Recover for jerks trying to delay the inevitable with Slowbro (and to a lower extent Starmie). I never really found time to use Recover since I was busy spamming +2 attacks left and right. I guess it's not super necessary, though, because you can usually muscle your way past those two anyways by boosting up and fishing for a crit.

I'll got with a physical set, just for the fun:

Pressure @ Life Orb
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

- Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch/Psycho Cut
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Punch

Not really the best set, but it's always a fun change.

What's that? What'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthatwhat'sthat what'sthatwhat'sthat?

AS: Sceptile, Sableye, Flygon (?), Relicanth, Muk, Girafarig

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    In the couple of RBY Ubers games that I've played, I ran Thunderbolt over Recover for jerks trying to delay the inevitable with Slowbro (and to a lower extent Starmie). I never really found time to use Recover since I was busy spamming +2 attacks left and right. I guess it's not super necessary, though, because you can usually muscle your way past those two anyways by boosting up and fishing for a crit.
    yeah if you feel confident in your mewtwo to not take hits and really don't want to stall out slowbro or starmie thunderbolt > recover is a definite option

Quote Originally Posted by Mav-san View Post
    I'll got with a physical set, just for the fun:

Pressure @ Life Orb
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

- Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch/Psycho Cut
    - Stone Edge
    - Ice Punch

Not really the best set, but it's always a fun change.
    Fighting/Psychic is actually some pretty good coverage. The only thing you'll really fear is opposing Psychic types, so I'd keep both Psycho Cut and Drain Punch, along with Ice Punch to hit Latios, Latias, and Lugia for super effective damage.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Nothing is more powerful than friendship. Well, except a +2/+2/+2 Adamant Kyurem Black. In which case, you're done for.

Quote Originally Posted by Miror View Post
    Electro Ball generally wouldn't be worth it in Ubers due to the fact that a lot of Pokemon either resist it anyhow, or in the case of pokemon like Kyogre which it would hit super effectively, it will not do more to it than Thunderbolt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Electro Ball is useless. Even with Scarf Mewtwo vs Defensive Dialga you are only hitting with a pathetic 80 base power. Thunder, and even Thunderbolt are better. Slower things that MIGHT be hit with 120 or higher BP Electro Ball are things like Chansey or Ferrothorn who are better off being hit with different moves anyhow.

Also Thunder has a 30% Paralysis rate which is cool.
    Thanks, guys. Hadn't had the opportunity to do any number crunching due to illness, so I had to get that particular Move option analyzed. Duly noted.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Wide Lens

Nobody gives a crap about Wide Lens do they. It boosts accuracy of each attack by 10% so you have pretty accurate moves.

Psystrike
    Blizzard/Thunder
    Focus Blast
    Fire Blast

Wide Lens

Timid

252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def

If you're gonna dare try this, good luck.

Or you can run Life Orb + Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Flamethrower / Aura Sphere and hit harder while being more accurate.

Only a masochist should should run focus blast on mewtwo

Yeah... I know... I'm too late! But I got very busy this week and totally forgot that this week is one of my favorite legendary pokemon. I use one in my uber team. While I do agree, that mewtwo fell of grace since it's introduction back then, It is still one of the best special sweepers in the game. It's typing let's it down a little for lack of resistances and it's defenses are somewhat low in the uber tier (Same problem with rayquaza). Mewtwo compensate it's weak points with a movepool as vast as space and a speed stat so horrifying, that it can outspeed a very large amount of the uber metagame and hit them hard with that 154 special attack stat, again one of the highest in the game! With the introduction of new pokemon, threats have emerged, notably extreme killer arceus as it can take an unboosted aura sphere from mewtwo while doing serious damage to it with extremespeed. But even that is not sure of a counter as mewtwo can take an extremespeed and since most mewtwo's run life orb or expert belt, that aura sphere will be doing a lot of damage.

My personal set:
    Mewtwo@life orb/expert belt
    Evs: 252Sp ATT/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp DEF or HP
    Nature: + Speed / - ATT or + Sp ATT / - ATT
    Movepool:
    -Psystrike
    -Ice beam
    -Thunder / Thunder bolt
    -Aura sphere

An all out special attacker set. Very useful, very effective and scary... I run expert belt over life orb because I hate the 10% HP loss and I cannot stand choice items! Psystike is for STAB and does more damage than aura sphere to chansey and blissey. Ice beam is for all those dragons that fill the uber tier especially rayquaza. Thunder is a good options in rain teams as it has riddiculous power and hits kyogre for a lot of damage. Thunderbolt is if you are not using mewtwo in rain. Aura sphere rounds out the coverage by hitting darkrai, and dialga hard. Dialga walls all your other moves!

EVS are obvious while nature is tricky! I used to run +Sp ATT / - ATT nature until I faced a darkrai. Stayed in thinking that mewtwo naturally outspeeds darkrai and aura sphere is more than enough for bringing it down. Until poof! Drak pulse and mewtwo got creamed! From that typical battle, I changed mewtwo's nature to boost speed instead just in case I faced another similar darkrai!

Mewtwo appreciates a little team support like double screens and why not a little special attack boost to be all great! I usually baton pass shell smash boosts to rayquaza with a focus sash that often sweeps entire teams with it if done successfully, but once I baton passed them to mewtwo. It managed to kill one opponent before arceus put a stop to it! It was a disaster! I lost that battle because rayquaza is very bad without the boosts!

All in all, mewtwo is fearsome, it rightfully deserves the title of legendary and most of the times it will do serious damage to opponent's team before falling down!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12