Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    It was already clear in the last episode, but after the one aired today I can confirm that: worst… League… to date! Not even the Kanto League or the Sinnoh one (that are the most criticized) were that bad. The only good match for me was Ash vs Stephan and I liked the clash between Lucario and Pikachu but the rest was rather meh. Here hoping that the next League will be better than that.
    Yah, lets hope they do a better job over all with the next series, in my opinion it wasn't just the league that was horrible but it didn't help things.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

The League and the whole Best Wishes was terrible...they didn't manage to make me feel anything...like root for Ash or be sad that he lost.Not even he was sad that he lost.God,it's just horrible.Ash is a robot.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

this is just a sugarcoated bash fest/venting thread--;

I believe the Unova League was inferior to Sinnoh and Hoenn, due to my belief that the victors of both previous leagues had stronger teams, and whom also had stronger competition.

I don't mean to deride the Unova Saga, but it seems like overall the people their have inferior teams. Gym Leaders and trainers from Unova in my opinion would struggle to compete with their equivalents from the other regions. So much for 'the boonies' being inferior, eh Trip? Just overall a weak region, not a shot at the actual saga itself.

Edit: To be fair, I don't particularly care. The strength of the league is not my main reason for watching Pokemon, so I'm not going to stop watching because I thought a league was lame, but no doubt many people will be let down.
    Last edited by pokeaussie37; 10th January 2013 at 1:23 PM.
    {Insert signature here}

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post
    I don't mean to deride the Unova Saga, but it seems like overall the people their have inferior teams. Gym Leaders and trainers from Unova in my opinion would struggle to compete with their equivalents from the other regions. So much for 'the boonies' being inferior, eh Trip? Just overall a weak region, not a shot at the actual saga itself.
    And that is why Trip got eliminated early on :P

Something I enjoyed since it was a nice plot twist, and other than Conkeldurr none of Trip's other pokemon stuck out besides it and Serperior...which Trip didn't raise well defensive wise

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    And that is why Trip got eliminated early on :P

Something I enjoyed since it was a nice plot twist, and other than Conkeldurr none of Trip's other pokemon stuck out besides it and Serperior...which Trip didn't raise well defensive wise
    Baha yes, I thoroughly enjoyed both that, and Serperior being OHKO'd by Bouffalant. I almost completely agree, except that I would call Conkeldurr sticking out because it wasn't very good, unless you implied that. My belief is that Trip was kind of like your novice Pokemon gamer, training his starter and not really anything else.

That was for me the one part of the League that was good, mixing it up a bit so Trip was put back in his place a bit. At the expense of a potential 6v6 battle maybe, but I think either way they went, it could expose the inferiority of the rest of his team.
    {Insert signature here}

Unova League is the worst league IMO to date. I'm not even going to lie, but even the Kanto league was better. I'm not a nostalgic person, and the Kanto league wasn't so horrible since it was the first league. Unova? Can't say the same. After three awesome leagues in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, the writers decided to throw us by what's by far the worst league in pokemon history, not even having one proper battle and the battles were horribly distributed in terms of screentime. Main rivals (Bianca and Trip) were knocked out early, basically throwing away what the writers had been building for the entire saga. The league didn't even have a good full battle. Ash losing to a guy with an IQ of a rock was depressing enough. Now add a horrible distributed battle screentime. Stephan was okay (still sore that Leavanny didn't even get a win), but Kotetsu. That battle was terrible. It was reduced into a Pignite and Pikachu vs Hydreigon and Lucario battle, as if those two weren't glorified enough already.

So yeah, worst league ever. To date. Hopefully X and Y will have better leagues. This league was a huge disappointment for me: Leavanny not getting a win, Bianca not even getting a battle with Ash, Katherine not winning or not appearing on screen... The only thing I decently enjoyed was the filler episode. Bianca and Virgil moments were really cute. :3 I hope those two show up more.
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 10th January 2013 at 3:07 PM.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post
    Baha yes, I thoroughly enjoyed both that, and Serperior being OHKO'd by Bouffalant. I almost completely agree, except that I would call Conkeldurr sticking out because it wasn't very good, unless you implied that. My belief is that Trip was kind of like your novice Pokemon gamer, training his starter and not really anything else.

That was for me the one part of the League that was good, mixing it up a bit so Trip was put back in his place a bit. At the expense of a potential 6v6 battle maybe, but I think either way they went, it could expose the inferiority of the rest of his team.
    I mean that Conkeldurr was the only other pokemon Trip owned that got more attention (therefore getting focus) than the rest of his pokemon did besides Serperior, yes it lost all three times he used it, but the fact remains he still used it and Serperior more than anything else he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I mean that Conkeldurr was the only other pokemon Trip owned that got more attention (therefore getting focus) than the rest of his pokemon did besides Serperior, yes it lost all three times he used it, but the fact remains he still used it and Serperior more than anything else he had.
    Ah well yes, either way the point stands, it does stick out, which I agree with. He used everything else once after all, they were basically nondescript. He had a Frillish and a Lampent? Oh yeah!

Back on topic: I also believe that this was more of a league where someone (aka Virgil) had to win it, rather than someone had to lose it. If my memory serves Virgil was considered as one of the big contenders. That says to me that there were no outstanding candidates.
    Last edited by pokeaussie37; 10th January 2013 at 1:52 PM.
    {Insert signature here}

The Unova League wasn't horrible. But was a clear case of bad writing and I think that some people around the anime agree with me.*

Why? Because Ash was only got 3 battles, we don't have enough opportunities for all his pokemon, half of his team don't get wins ro defeats and the league will need at least one episode. The problem is that you add the Ash vs Virgil battle in one episode in the Top 8 and suddenly I don't have any problem with it.

*I think that TV Tokyo, the magazines, etc. that aren't neutral (like Dengeki) tried to promote the League at the minimum possible. Only Pokemon Fan heavily promoted the people. That combined with the fact that during a big part of the League, TV Tokyo showed previews of Episode N. "The only special preview that the league had was a 20-second preview on 29th November, nothing more.

And we are waiting to the episode to finally air, we found about the International Pokemin Direct with a lot of information to take a distraction from the anime (and mainly for the league).

So yeah:

1. Kanto: NOSTALGIA, hate me.. Kingler was awesome, Muk was awesome, Bulbasaur vs. Scyther was awesome, Squirtle ramming Nidorino into a wall, awesome! Good memories.
    2. Sinnoh: I thought it was good. Quilava shouldn't have been skipped, and the writers deserve major props for Conway. Tobias didn't bother me, made me happy that Ash was unofficially second best.
    3. Johto: Good battles, two nice full battles, although it was the Snorlax/Charizard-show.
    4. Hoenn: Because I just don't have many memories off it. Had plenty battles, but I can't recall most as vividly, it's a personal thing as I didn't watch AG as vividly, not hate.
    5. Unova: Because nothing happened? Two rounds were skipped, and Ash looked like a tool.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

1)All leagues.

Not much into the whole comparing things that I like, and I like all the leagues. Unova may have not had that many battles which was something I was a little disappointed with, but it went ahead and broke patterns and whatnot, and I found it more realistic then other leagues. I only would have wanted a little more out of Kotetsu vs Ash, I would have wanted a 6 vs 6 with some wins for a few others then just Pikachu and Pignite, but even still I liked the league.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Yah, lets hope they do a better job over all with the next series, in my opinion it wasn't just the league that was horrible but it didn't help things.
    You're right, it wasn't just the League. But the Unova League is the thing that everyone will use for evidence in how bad the Unova Saga was, that and the Roxie Gym battle. The whole main story (4th Gym and beyond, especially Roxie's Gym) seemed to be subpar, with this league being the worst, and I've seen all four previous leagues. The league is basically a snapshot of Ash for the entire region and his regression. In addition, and I'm not the only one to note this, it seemed as if the league participants were not nearly as strong as participants in leagues past. I think that if trainers like Katie, Paul, Conway, Harrison, Gary, Nando, AG/Sinnoh Ash would have steamrolled the Unova League mercilessly (and that's not counting the champions Tyson and Tobias). It just seemed as if everyone in Unova was just that much weaker than the competitors in the previous leagues. Virgil did not seem like an unbeatable beast. Cameron had the tools to win and could have been unbeatable if he was smarter, but his stupidity greatly held him back. Looking back on it, I'm not sure I would say that any of the Gym Leaders were all that impressive, either. This saga has just been so disappointing, and the fact that it got off to such a good start and everyone had such high hopes for it just makes it all that much sadder.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

I actually really hope that the next league involves reserves again.. Many of them need the battles, especially the Johto and Unova teams.. and Torkoal too, if it doesn't go to France for an evolution anyway.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

1)Hoenn: Even though Ash didn't use reserves, his team was decent, his only unevolved pokemon was Corphish but has decent bulk, Grovyle was ok with his good speed and Swellow and Glalie were murder machines. Also Ash had most full-battles here.

2)Johto: This was better than Sinnoh for me because he used all the pokemon he had at that time and the main reason was Ash vs Gary.

3)Sinnoh: If someone complains that Johto was a Charizard/Snorlax fest, Sinnoh was an Infernape fest, Ash vs Shinji was 3-episodes-long!!!, they could've cut one episode of another full-battle.

4)Kanto: Kanto is only down compared to Sinnoh because of the animation and the ending. The preliminar matches were amazing, the cotd's were more impressive than most of the current rivals, and Ash lost because of his inexperience, not because he was an idiot (see Unova).

5)Unova: Bad matches, bad rivals, bad ending, bad team (bar Krookodile) and bad Ash. I liked Kotetsu but his battle with Ash was awful and got outclassed by Virgil.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Johto>Sinnoh>Hoenn/Isshu>Kanto

I mean I actually liked the figths up to Kotetsu but I think the Kotetsu figth was just awfully written.

Absolutely and unequivocally the worst league ever.

After how much thought and effort went into making Sinnoh great, they then insult us with this tripe? It's pathetic that this was allowed out of the office. Awful in so many ways; terrible rivals, mediocre battles, Ash actually REGRESSING.

In fact thays what makes me the most angry. Ash going from winning his greatest ever victory (over Paul) and giving Tobias a little bit of trouble, making the semi-finals in the process, to a meek
    loss to some idiot in the quarters.

This is the worst league because of the dangerous precedent it sets. Why can't Ash lose in the last 16 of Gen 6 now? Why can't he continue for the next four leagues, the next 10 leagues, to just bounce between top 8 and top 4? There is now no guarantee thay Ash will progress, so is there even a point in watching now?

Actually, screw it. I'm declaring Best Wishes non-canon. Except for Krook. He can stay. But yeah.

I'd go as far as to say that this league was even worse than things like Thunder Armour ane Ash vs. Ritchie. It sets a precedent that essentially ruins a major point of the show, which is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

Kanto was forgivable because it was the first. But now we know they CAN do a great league, to try and peddle this trash is nothing more than an insult.

There isn't really anything I need to add to this other than to say that I agreee with the consensus

I expected that Ash is going to get get Top 8 in the league since the start, to be honest. Because Ash was using his Unova Pokemoin apart from Pikachu and because, specially in BW, Ash's past accomplishments doesn't mean anything at all. In Best Wishes Ash is considered a new trainer. The reason that why it's Ash and not a new character is because Pikachu is way too popular to leave.

And with the exception of the Burgh-Elesa gap Best Wishes was rushed. Like the end of DP, the second part of BF, etc.

I think that Best Wishes doesn't need too many character if they aren't capable to give screentime to all of them. Specially for a saga that is more short than others.

The only passable part was Ash vs Stephan. That's pathetic. Kanto had better battles and that saga didn't even focus on the action.

1. Johto
    2. Sinnoh
    3. Hoenn
    4. Kanto]
    |
    |
    |
    72. Unova

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

1. Johto
    GOOD:
    1. ALMOST every one of Ash's Pokemon battled.
    2. Pikachu didn't hog.
    3. The teams Ash used were interesting (i.e not Pikachu, 3 starters, 2 randoms that get no wins).
    BAD:
    1.Kingler was maltreated for no reason.
    2. Kanto starters hogged a little too much.

2. Sinnoh
    GOOD
    1. A fair amount of reserve battles/Sinnoh team battles.
    2. A good amount of battles. (no only 2 non 1vs 1 battles)
    3. Fantastic tactics and strategies contributed to it being the most unique league.
    BAD
    1. Tobias.
    2. Certain Pokemon were given too much focus e.g Pikachu, Gible, Heracross and others e.g. Muk, Bayleef, Kingler etc. got nothing.
    3. Skipping battles as though they had no time, after one of the longest and most drawn out saga's in history!

3. Hoenn
    GOOD
    1. Loads of battles, inckluding multiple 6 on 6's.
    2. Interesting battles and league opponents.
    BAD
    1. NO reserves which made for Ash having the same 6 every battle, very boring in that respect.
    2. Torkoal was shafted for no reason, there was no excuse given it was in only 6 Pokemon were used.

4. Kanto
    GOOD
    1. The battles were enjoyable, particularly Kingler and Muk's.
    BAD
    1. No 6 on 6's.
    2. Charizard sleeping was PATHETIC of the writers.
    3. No battles for Pidgeotto was unfair.

5. UNOVA
    GOOD
    1.Stephan's battle, bar Leavanny being screwed over.

BAD
    1. No reserves.
    2. NO genuine 6 on 6, one 5 vs 6 (!), one 1 vs 1 and one 3 vs 3.
    3. Main Rival battle was a 1 vs 1, with a DEM Pikachu win.
    4. Skipping battles for no reason and instead showing a stupid Filler.
    5. TERRIBLE apportioning of wins, with Pikachu and Pignite hogging YET AGAIN as they had done in the gyms, and Krook getting an unfair extra win. Had they shown Ash lost to Cameron's 6th rather than 5th, and including Scraggy's win, there were 10 battles, meaning each Pokemon could have got one win each. Instead the favorites stole the spotlight.
    6. Ash losing to a moron.

In short Unova was by MILES the worst league in my opinion. At least I enjoyed the Indigo league even if it was bad.
    On Team:,:656:,:661:.

Oak's Lab: x30
    ()
    In Training:
    Released:

Advice to the writers for the 6th Gen:
    1. Give a fair distribution of screentime and battles- No Pika-Hogging.
    2. Give Ash as many Pokemon as you will bother with, and no more.
    3. Evolution is nothing to be scared of. Especially evolve Starters, please!

Default Ash came in Top *SPOILER*, but does anyone else think he looks weaker?

For example in the Johto and Hoenn leagues Ash came in the Top 8, same as in Unova. Yet for some reason it feels like the Ash of those leagues was stronger than the one in Unova.

Its easy to explain, as if you rewatch those leagues Ash actually had a number of great pokemon, (and in Johto he didn't just rely on his Johto team, which was underdeveloped), and used strategy to win.

It probably also helps that Ash just barely lost to Harrisson and Tyson, as if he could have beaten them with a tiny bit more stamina.

I also think this sets a terrible outcome for the future. Now the writers can just keep juggling Ash between Top 8 and Top 4 like the next 5 generations. I mean he came in the same rank 3 leagues already. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

His team is weaker. But it doesn't help that he was up against Cameron who has a good team.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Well that happened is all I can really say.

At the end of the day, this felt more like another Club tournament than an actual league. As much as a liked the club battles, this was kinda dissapointing.

Okay after a bit of thought, here's what I came up with

Hoenn > Unova> Kanto> Johto>>>>>>>>>>> Sinnoh. Tobias why
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast