Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

Yeah, I definitely agree with those who say the Hoenn League is the best. I haven't seen the Hoenn League since I was about nine or ten, so I went back and watched a two episodes, I was trying to wait for my AG rewatch to make it to the league though. The battles were entertaining, the animation was beautiful, and we got a cast of interesting competitors compared to the Sinnoh and Unova Leagues which relied solely on rivals. Katie, Clark the Conductor, etc. I especially loved the premilinary round where Pikachu only relies on Iron Tail to win in similar vain to Morrison's Beldum only relying on Take Down and the final Iron Tail was just amazing animation wise from mid-air. Ash just faced off against Nando, Conway, and Paul in his League with wins, and the only really good battle was the Paul battle. One good battle does not a good league make, we got equally as good battles in the Hoenn League.

Ash used his Grovyle and Glalie against a Charizard and Quilava, no that doesn't make Ash a *******, it's typical Ash shenanigans and behavior he even said he would show type wasn't the only thing that mattered.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 13th January 2013 at 11:50 AM.

I think that Hoenn, Johto and Sinnoh leagues were equally good. I'll admit, I prefered the Sinnoh one because of the battle with Paul, but I liked all of them. Kanto and Unova were jokes comparing to these ones

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    By Reserves, I mean he only had 6 Pokémon with him that League. In all other Leagues he had 7+ Pokémon to choose from.
    Lol that is not the part I had a problem with.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Lol that is not the part I had a problem with.
    Then which bit did you have the problem with?

Then which bit did you have the problem with?
    The last bit. That was the only league that gave the team a decent chance to shine.
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

The last bit. That was the only league that gave the team a decent chance to shine.
    Something I loved about it is how Pikachu did basically as bad as Torkoal. Torkoal got 1 win, Pikachu got like what, 1 or 2 wins as well xD I do love how Swellow and Glalie were such beasts in that league.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    It was completely on par with a Sinnoh Battle, DP is not the end-all be-all. Nothing about DP battles made them stand-out anymore than a Hoenn Battle, aside from Ash VS. Paul. Ash used zero strategy against Nando and just had his Pokemon pretty much attack head-on over and over and the only good battle out of the Nando Battle was Heracross VS. Kricketune. Ash just attacked head-on against Conway as well as the only strategy was Gible crunching on its opponents and using Draco Meteor at close-range, otherwise Noctowl and Donphan just used straight up power and the former beat Lickylicky very fast doing that. The Stephan battle was perfectly fine, if not completely similar to the Sinnoh League 3 on 3 battles.

Do I hate Sinnoh? No.

Do I think Best Wishes is perfect or the Unova League is good? No.

Am I tired of fans overrating DP as the best thing since sliced bread? Yes.

I guess comparing Ash's Stephan battle to a Hoenn battle is an insult since it's not Sinnoh-compared.
    I'm a Sinnoh Fan, but how does he saying that BW not having a full battle anything associated with Sinnoh?

vs Stephan is almost like vs Nando. Except Sinnoh had Nando and Conway. Conway's one actually relied on strategy and quick thinking. No, I'm not treating Sinnoh is the best thing since sliced cheese, but I don't understand why you're suddenly bringing up Sinnoh when he did not associate Sinnoh with BW or Hoenn?

Lol.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Something I loved about it is how Pikachu did basically as bad as Torkoal. Torkoal got 1 win, Pikachu got like what, 1 or 2 wins as well xD I do love how Swellow and Glalie were such beasts in that league.
    Didn't Corphish get like 3 wins in a row at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    He got Metagross and Hitmonlee if I'm not mistaken. I wish Torkoal got a little more though . Everybody else was treated great .

Didn't Corphish get like 3 wins in a row at one point?
    Not sure actually, don't remember. I know Swellow and Glalie were beasts, and Grovyle and Corphish did great too, while Pikachu and Torkoal were pretty bad

He got Metagross and Hitmonlee if I'm not mistaken. I wish Torkoal got a little more though . Everybody else was treated great .
    Yeah. I know he was also used as a fall guy against the trainer before Morrison. I'm just happy Glalie got a good league after failing in the last gym xD

If this League is like the Indigo League, then will Episode N be like Orange Islands and 6th Gen be like Johto? Because that would honestly be refreshing.

Torkoal tied with a Tropius in the Hoenn league and defeated Tyson's Shiftry. It didn't do that badly.

My ranking of the Leagues:

1) Johto- It felt believable and not forced like people were just thrown in to defeat Ash. Moreover, his rivals were interesting and the League was well-executed.
    2) Hoenn- See Johto.
    3) Sinnoh- Excellent and would've been the best were it not for Troll-bias ruining the league with his unfair advantage.
    4) Kanto- It was the first league, so it would make sense for Ash to make rookie mistakes here.
    5) Unova- Absolutely terrible. Done poorly and rushed, and ended up with Ash regressing in rank. :/

If this League is like the Indigo League, then will Episode N be like Orange Islands and 6th Gen be like Johto? Because that would honestly be refreshing.
    Yeah, good point. Here's hoping! I think Ash/Satoshi's journey really has jumped the shark in this saga though. :/
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 13th January 2013 at 3:19 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Its weird that the writers made sure each of Ash's older Pokemon got a time to shine in league battles. Not a single one was ever screwed over completely.

Then Torterra failed in the Sinnoh league and now his Unova Pokemon all failed with little wins.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Its weird that the writers made sure each of Ash's older Pokemon got a time to shine in league battles. Not a single one was ever screwed over completely.

Then Torterra failed in the Sinnoh league and now his Unova Pokemon all failed with little wins.
    Yeah, agreed. That's a good point about the older leagues that I liked.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

To be honest it was obvious that some in Unova would fail. I didn't expect so many to fail though

In my honest opinion, the Unova League has been the worst one yet.

Not only were the battles sub par, but Ash didn't even rank higher than he did in the previous League. They also let a guy with a team of Eeevee's take the Championship... like, WTF?

It was simply awful all around...

I lol'd when Cameron's 6th Pokemon was revealed to be a Watchog, like whut xD

1) Hoenn & Johto - The best Pokemon Leagues are the Hoenn and Johto Leagues because unlike the others, THE WRITERS ACTUALLY TREATED THEM LIKE A SERIOUS COMPETITION. Ash went up against COTDs and rivals and in each battle he had to work hard to get his wins. They didn't throw around OHKO scenes like in Unova, each and every battle were treated perfectly. Ash overcame his first rival in Johto and he actually was able to hold his own against a professional in Hoenn. And the sole fact that Ash could have won BOTH Leagues if it weren't for his Pokemon being too tired to fight any longer (Pikachu and Charizard) boosts the epic points x1000

2) Sinnoh - The Sinnoh League was my 2nd favorite because of the battles. Sinnoh and Hoenn Ash are the only versions of Ash that actually have him acting like a professional. He actually showcases his experience in the Sinnoh League unlike no other. I mean the whole Trick Room thing and the bug on bug battle, AND EVEN ****ING COUNTER SHIELD made the League what it is today. The only reason I could ever dislike the Sinnoh League was the small number of battles. Ash only fought 4 people (I don't count OHKOs) and one of them went on for 3 episodes lol! And bump all the hates, Tobias is a badass character and even more of a badass trainer because he made Ash GET SERIOUS!

3) Kanto - The Kanto League used to be my least favorite only because of the way Ash lost and the fact that there were no full battles. Ash's battle against Ritchie is 100x worse than Ash VS Kotetsu because he lost to a BEGINNER. Imo, I don't even know how Ritchie managed to get through the first round with a freaking Charmander, a Spearow, a Butterfree (WHUT?!), and a Pikachu that needs a haircut. If you watched the rest of Ash's battles, you would see that he actually managed to put up against trainers with some pretty freaking strong Pokemon. This chick had a high-as-hell Bellsprout teeter dancing all around as a trick to let your guard down. All Ritchie had was a disgustingly awful choice of a team that even makes Kotetsu look badass.

4) Unova - Cuz the only good battle was Ash and Stephan's. The Twin Tag Team episode was more entertaining than this.

I'll do my best to review them all fairly:

Johto
    Johto as a whole was really disappointing, but the writers began to pick up the pace near the end of the saga. Right around the time the Whirl Cup began. If the saga was like this throughout it would have been one of my favorite. Why do I bring this up? Because despite the saga itself being weak, the League was the best we've ever had. All of the battles were awesome, all of Ash's pokemon from TWO regions at least got to battle something with the minor exception of Kingler, and it was the first time they made Ash actually seem like he was a competitive battler against his rivals. It was the climax of Ash's first main rivalry. I'm not even one of the people who considers AshXGary a good rivalry, but the Johto League was definitely the high point of that rivalry and that, at least, was very well done. As usual, a rival got tacked on for the purpose of beating Ash. I won't dock points for this since that is the case in every League we've had so far. And Harrison was probably the best characters they've ever added in the League to defeat Ash. He really seemed experienced enough to give Ash a run for his money since they actually bothered to give him a backstory and his addition successful hyped a lot of people up for the incoming Hoenn saga (and games). And the layout of the League was the best we've ever had. Of course it's not perfect. Snorlax and Charizard took too many Leagues that could have gone to something like Totodile, Nocotowl, Kingler, or Muk. Too many match ups ended with one-hit KOs. 9/10-"Great"

Sinnoh
    The entire saga was leading up to the battle between Ash vs Paul. Does that lean in this League's favor? Eh... Sinnoh is the opposite of Johto in that I felt it was incredibly strong in the beginning but began to fall apart near the end of the saga. It's like they realized they spent too much time setting up all of these character arcs, which were legendary by Pokemon standards, but had no time to do anything with them. Grotle-Torterra's weight issues are probably the best example of this. Were they ever addressed outside of Turtwig's evolution episode? The League made it seem as if Torterra had now become useless. Other problems like there being only one full battle, Barry ending up as a completely useless rival for Ash, and too many disappointing exclusions from Ash's team hold this League back for me. The battles that Ash did have were pretty decent though. I don't mind the fact that Ash and Nando's battle was blended with Team Rocket stuff. They just used up the time that would usually be spent on Ash's friends commenting on the battle. That battle actually ended up being pretty epic. Ash vs Conway was very tactical, I liked it a lot. And Ash vs Paul...almost lived up to the hype. I also didn't mind Tobias. Why? Well why do most people dislike him, because he was added just to beat Ash? That's a terrible reason. Ritchie, Harrison, Tyson and Cameron were added for the same reason. Why does it matter if it was done with a legendary or a normal pokemon? At this point in Ash's career I accepted it as the natural progression. Him being the first to topple that Darkrai actually made him look like a better trainer in my opinion. The fact that Tobias's final opponent couldn't even do it made it look like Ash actually had a good chance of winning that League. Good League but it didn't live up to the hype that the saga was so successful at building up. 8/10 - Good

Hoenn
    Not much to say here. Every battle was amazing. My only issues were that it was the only saga that Ash didn't have a full-time rival and Ash only used his Hoenn team. There don't hurt the League too much though. They can both be seen as pros or cons depending on the person. Ash's Hoenn team are probably the most even team he's had because of this and Morrison was a better rival in the short time he was around than all of his full-time rivals in the Unova League. It amazes me how Morrison was only there for like ten episodes and got a full battle with Ash that led to more character development for him than what Trip got in 90 episodes. It's pretty close to matching Sinnoh, but personally I would have liked to see more fleshed out rivalries and more variesty in Ash's pokemon team. 7.5/10 -"Good"

Kanto
    Actually surprisingly decent. Aside from Ash vs Blaine, his battles at the League were some of the only battles in the saga that were done well. Tauros and Pidgeoto were ignored completely and Ash's battle against Ritchie seemed thrown together last minute, but Ash vs Mandy, the Nidorino trainer, and the Bellsprout chick were some of the first good battles in the series. It would be higher in the list, the only thing holding it back is that it's competition was much better. Unfortunately, being the best battles in the Kanto saga still doesn't amount to much as even most normal gym battles thereafter were better than these League battles. It's not just because of advances in animation either, so don't blame it on that. Battles that came shortly after, like in the Orange Islands or early-Johto fared several times better. 6/10-"Okay"

Unova
    What happened? I realize this saga is shorter than Hoenn and Unova, but the writers must have realized this. When Black/White released so late in the DS's lifespan most of us called it; the 6th generation wouldn't be too far off. Why did the writers clearly bite off more than they can chew with this saga? Why give him so many rivalries when none of them are going to amount to anything? Why give Ash more pokemon than ever when more than half of them are going to end up colossal disappointments? Why put more effort into the goddamn Don tournaments than the climax of the saga? Aside from Ash vs Stephan being standard, I really can't think of one nice thing to say about this League. When I heard Ash's battle with his main rival would be one on one and the very first battle of the League I thought a troll was just posting a very convincing fake link. I know why the writers did it; to avoid routine. They know they've spent the saga building up Trip to be a failed clone of Gary and Paul mashed into one character. They didn't want him to be completely similar to the two of them so they made him lose early on. It really didn't seem like the writers knew what to do with this character since the first Don Tournament. Was it worth it? It made Trip an even more forgettable, useless character as far as i see it. At least if he had a good battle Ash we would have that to look back on to remember him by, but no. Bianca ended up failing without battling Ash, as usual. Why was she even a rival again? like I said, his battle against Stephan was standard. The battle itself was nothing special and the rivalry is just as dull as the rivalries between Ash and one of the one-shot League rivals such as Katie from the Hoenn League. If I was watching this league out of context, without having seen the rest of the saga first, I would never guess that Trip and Stephan were around since near the start of the saga. And Ash vs Cameron, our only full battle this time, ends up disappointing most of all. Ash took down a Legendary in the last League. You're telling me he can't beat a kid who can't even remember to pack a full team of six now? That leads me to my next point. I guess the animation budget for this League was low, because what was the point of Cameron not bringing six? Were they actively trying to kill any character development they've established for Ash over the years? Oshawott, Snivy, Boldore, Unfezant, Palpitoad. Will there be time for any of these to redeem themselves in Episode N or will they go down as some of the worst pokemon Ash has owned since Totodile? The way this saga's going, I'd bet on the latter. Some of the choices the writers have chosen this saga are just baffling. It has carried over to the League and has probably highlighted everything wrong with the Unova saga as a whole. I really hope the X and Y saga can improve, because this saga has done something the anime couldn't do in fifteen long years: make me lose interest in it. 3/10 -"Awful"

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

why do people fell ash regressing in rank is bad. i think it makes things a little more realistic. in real life do sports champions always stay sports champions. NOO they some times regress in rank becasue they are not as good as they were before so they train for the next championship to do better. i think that is what is going on here. to the league itself i actually like it. ash vs trip could have been done better but i liked it. cameron vs bianca. good shows how strong cameron's riolu really is. ash vs stephan. i liked that to only problem i had was krookodile beating sawk but besides that it was good. ash vs cameron. i thought this battle was amzing. not as good as ash vs gary paul or harrison. but i thought it was amazing. riolu evolving into lucario was nice twist. even though pignite and pikachu got most of the ko's. infernape got most of the ko's in ash vs paul and charizard getting most of the ko's in ash vs gary some of which could have gone to his other pokemon. over all it rank this league at number as 3. above it would be hoenn and sinnoh below it would be johto and kanto.
    My Pokemon Teams
    Pokemon Platinum Version

Pokemon Black Version 2

I'm an Atheist and I'm proud to be one if you are one too paste this in your signature

I hated it. I feel like Ash hasn't accomplished anything this region.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

I wanna talk to more people on here. VM me? I'm a little shy, but I wanna make more friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyPokemon inc. View Post
    why do people fell ash regressing in rank is bad. i think it makes things a little more realistic. in real life do sports champions always stay sports champions. NOO they some times regress in rank becasue they are not as good as they were before so they train for the next championship to do better. i think that is what is going on here. to the league itself i actually like it. ash vs trip could have been done better but i liked it. cameron vs bianca. good shows how strong cameron's riolu really is. ash vs stephan. i liked that to only problem i had was krookodile beating sawk but besides that it was good. ash vs cameron. i thought this battle was amzing. not as good as ash vs gary paul or harrison. but i thought it was amazing. riolu evolving into lucario was nice twist. even though pignite and pikachu got most of the ko's. infernape got most of the ko's in ash vs paul and charizard getting most of the ko's in ash vs gary some of which could have gone to his other pokemon. over all it rank this league at number as 3. above it would be hoenn and sinnoh below it would be johto and kanto.
    Lol they felt Ash was regressing not solely based on the league, but also how the pokemon got development. Over development... Forgotten in the boxes... It doesn't help the matter that Pikachu, Pignite, Krookodile were the only one who got wins in the entire league, as if they weren't developed enough already.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

It's not even about the regression. It's the context of the battles. Cameron beat him five on six. Trip, a brand new trainer, gave him a hard time. He barely beat Roxie and that battle was 3 on 6. He constantly makes armature mistakes this saga and people seem to value his off-the-wall (DEM) tactics as superior to when he actually used strategy to earn his victories in AG and DP. "But using strategy isn't Ash" is always their excuse. And my response is always "well maybe it should be." All of Ash's greatest rivals, even the champions, have been shown to use strategy. These characters are the ones that Ash aspires to be like, so it's not like they're trying to make Ash seem like the holy grail of pokemon trainers by being able to win without strategy. Again it seemed like natural progression for his character to finally adopt strategy in his battle style. And now we're back to the "hey, Pikachu. Skate on the ice or some stupid thing....YAY I won"-********.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Lol they felt Ash was regressing not solely based on the league, but also how the pokemon got development. Over development... Forgotten in the boxes... It doesn't help the matter that Pikachu, Pignite, Krookodile were the only one who got wins in the entire league, as if they weren't developed enough already.
    alot of people have blatantly said this league is terrible becasue he regressed in league ranking not becasue of the lack of character development that is mostly said when talking about best wishes as a whole.
    My Pokemon Teams
    Pokemon Platinum Version

Pokemon Black Version 2

I'm an Atheist and I'm proud to be one if you are one too paste this in your signature

For me, it would be:

1: Sinnoh. Had the best battles overall, IMO.
    2: Hoenn. Lots of Full Battles.
    3: Unova. Pikachu vs Lucario was good.
    4: Johto. Not great. The new and improved animation makes the newer battles look better to me, so that is one reason. Also, I don't like the battles as much as in the latter three Leagues.
    5: Kanto. Battling was never really the focus of Kanto, so I can understand why the League wasn't so great.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast