Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

For me, it's without question that the Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh leagues were better than the Unova league. The only league that people could make an argument for being worse than the Unova league is the one in Kanto, but even then I'd say these people are clutching at straws. The Kanto league was better than the Unova league in my opinion, mainly because there was no expectations of Ash at the time. Ash was a rookie, it was his first ever league and I was just happy to see him battle a couple of episodes centered around battling rather than humour. The battles against Mandy and Jeanette were cool, I liked the elemental battlefields, the fact that Gary was beaten kind of threw me off guard and most importantly, I liked the way Ash reacted to his defeat against Ritchie. That loss contributed to his development as a trainer, it gave him the kick up the *** he needed. The only pro that can be taken out of the Unova league is the battle vs Stephen, everything else was e_e.

There was so many things wrong with the Unova league. Little to no strategy used by Ash, one of his most recognisable character traits has always been his ability to come up with a novel and unique strategy in the heat of a battle. The closest we got to seeing this side of Ash in the Unova league was when he came up with the iron tail/electro ball combo, and even then, it didn't really make sense. Serperior had earlier dodged an electro ball with consumate ease but the minute Pikahoe uses it in conjuction with Iron tail it suddenly connects. Serperior was portrayed as a God of speed, how would using iron tail to fire electro ball make it any more difficult to evade? And more importantly, how was it strong enough to knock the serp out? The icing on the this **** flavoured cake was that Ash not only regressed in placement, but he lost to a total moron with a handicap of -1 pokemon. After defeating a Darkrai that nobody else in Sinnoh league could beat and a Latios AND finishing in the semi finals, the Unova league was a really hard pill to swallow.

1.Johto
    2.Sinnoh
    3.Hoenn
    4.Kanto

5.Unova

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Why do you hate the Sinnoh League so much?

*cough* People are entitled to their own opinions, though Kanto being so high up is weird... Anyways, but that's just me.

*Voice from my heart* Genwunnnneeeerr!

just kidding
    I just explained why, Tobias made absolutely no sense. People complain about "charizard fell asleep", but it was at least plausible. It wasn't some out of nowhere DEM plot device *coughTobias!cough*

You guys can complain about Sinnoh league all you want, but Ash ended up taking down 2 legendary Pokémon, one of which was used by Tobias to sweep through all eight gyms of Sinnoh. Tobias may have been a cheap way to get Ash to lose, but it truly showed that Ash was powerful and capable trainer despite losing. In contrast, Unova League just made Ash look pathetic.

It's like the writers had a meeting and then someone said: "Hey, let's make a completely crappy league everyone will hate!"

Simply awful. Sinnoh and Hoenn leagues are two of the best leagues in Pokémon anime.

I agree that it's still not as bad as Unova, but Tobias ruined Sinnoh's, pretty much, the final battle should have been Ash vs Paul, considering how drawn out it was.

I think I've worked out why the BW Series is so bad.
    In the Indigo League, Ash was new and he travelled around with Brock and Misty until AG, where May and Max joined. AG was a start of a new Series, where Ash was a more experienced trainer and May was new.
    Now, when DP started, May was already experienced enough so she could travel on her own. DP was another new start where Dawn joined Ash and Brock as the new Trainer.

The series tends to let Ash do better when there's a new Trainer travelling with him, but neither Cilan or Iris are new to Pokémon, which is probably why Ash did so badly in BW.

This would probably explain why Johto had so many fillers, because there were little slip ups to make, as it was the third League he'd been in.
    Last edited by blob; 14th January 2013 at 2:36 PM.
    I hate Pikari. She stole all of Takeshi's screen time, Plus Poké Balls, and along with her evil Penguin, Spammed all of Takeshi's Pokémon with Everstones.
    That explains so much of what happened to him in DP, and why he didn't speak to Dawn much... or ever.
    The only time a character truly dies is when you don't see them in shows anymore. RIP Takeshi.
    http://gpxplus.net/user/Blob55

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    In the Indigo League, Ash was new and he travelled around with Brock and Misty until AG, where May and Max joined. AG was a start of a new Series, where Ash was a more experienced trainer and May was new.
    Now, when DP started, May was already experienced enough so she could travel on her own. DP was another new start where Dawn joined Ash and Brock as the new Trainer.

The series tends to let Ash do better when there's a new Trainer travelling with him, but neither Cilan or Iris are new to Pokémon, which is probably why Ash did so badly in BW.
    All the series had an amateur at some point.

OS - Ash, and less to an extent, Misty
    AG - May, and sometimes Ash, though he takes on a more... mature role.
    DP - Dawn, and occasionally Ash slips, but he still take on a more mature role.
    BW - Ash, Dawn and Iris are no newbs to Pokemon, but BW Ash gives me the feel.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

There was no reason why they couldn't have Ash have at least ONE full battle this league, really Kotetsu beating him only using 5 Pokemon just seems like another concentrated effort to make Ash look bad in BW...just like with Roxie (barely winning in a 6 v 3 match.)

Skipping two rounds for Axew and Oshawotts antics for the umpteenth time is head-scratching as well, especially since nothing came out of it and Oshawott got curb-stomped couple of episodes later.

So!! Iris was still a big kid!!

CYNDAQUIL IS FINALLY MINE <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
    Pokemon Y FC: 1693-2261-4948
    Friend Safari: Poison(Venomoth, Toxicroak, and Seviper)

This would probably explain why Johto had so many fillers, because there were little slip ups to make, as it was the third League he'd been in.
    Even in the Johto League, Ash and his Pokemon overall came off as more impressive than in Unova.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Even in the Johto League, Ash came off as a more impressive trainer than he did in Unova.
    As sad as that makes it, I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    So!! Iris was still a big kid!!
    I'm just saying that BW was the only series where a new trainer didn't join Ash, so he had to be the inexperienced one.

Now, the reason why they made him so inexperienced in BW is so that kids who are new to Pokémon can learn from his mistakes.
    I hate Pikari. She stole all of Takeshi's screen time, Plus Poké Balls, and along with her evil Penguin, Spammed all of Takeshi's Pokémon with Everstones.
    That explains so much of what happened to him in DP, and why he didn't speak to Dawn much... or ever.
    The only time a character truly dies is when you don't see them in shows anymore. RIP Takeshi.
    http://gpxplus.net/user/Blob55

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    As sad as that makes it, I have to agree.
    Outside of Tobias, I don't think there's ever been a full battle (then again Kotetsu wasn't even a proper full battle) where only two of Ash's Pokemon get wins.

Outside of Tobias, I don't think there's ever been a full battle (then again Kotetsu wasn't even a full battle) where only two of Ash's Pokemon get wins.
    At least the Tobias battle had Darkrai and Latios so it's understandable.

But Kotetsu ... wow, 5 Pokémon only. lol

I'm just saying that BW was the only series where a new trainer didn't join Ash, so he had to be the inexperienced one.

Now, the reason why they made him so inexperienced in BW is so that kids who are new to Pokémon can learn from his mistakes.
    Meh, Iris was for all intensive purposes a newbie in here field. She just had a powerhouse with her.

CYNDAQUIL IS FINALLY MINE <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
    Pokemon Y FC: 1693-2261-4948
    Friend Safari: Poison(Venomoth, Toxicroak, and Seviper)

Outside of Tobias, I don't think there's ever been a full battle (then again Kotetsu wasn't even a proper full battle) where only two of Ash's Pokemon get wins.
    And even then, at least it was only one win each and not 2+ for two Pokemon.

Considering how popular Oshawott is, I'm surprised they didn't give it any wins at all. It was fodder for Hydreigon. I mean, he could have really just sent out Pignite after Boldore failed, and used Oshawott against something else.

Considering how popular Oshawott is, I'm surprised they didn't give it any wins at all. It was fodder for Hydreigon. I mean, he could have really just sent out Pignite after Boldore failed, and used Oshawott against something else.
    Like I said, they obviously didn't even try to make this league even remotely decent.

And Oshawott is only there to sell merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post

And Oshawott is only there to sell merchandise.
    I would think having a cute little starter kick butt, would make it even more popular and sell more. :P

I would think having a cute little starter kick butt, would make it even more popular and sell more. :P
    Snivy and Scraggy aren't any better tbh. At least Oshawott has a decent-----good battle record.

I would think having a cute little starter kick butt, would make it even more popular. :P
    You see, Oshawott doing something useful would be good writing. We can't have that with Ash's team. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Snivy and Scraggy aren't any better tbh. At least Oshawott has a decent-good battle record.
    Yeah, true. The only Pokemon I felt were truly ready for the league this time around were Pikachu, Pignite, and Krookodile. At least, IMO.

Yeah, true. The only Pokemon I felt were truly ready for the league this time around were Pikachu, Pignite, and Krookodile. At least, IMO.
    I'm more surprised why the freak the writers had Scraggy master FB before the league, I was certain he would kick Hydreigon's *** as a reference to the Victini movie, but no. Long-range attack against a flyer like Hydreigon would have been nice. Leavanny was league ready as well and Oshawott just needed a weaker opponent.

Snivy, Boldore, Palpitoad, and Unfezant not quite.

Considering the outcome of certain battles, its good that Oshawott didn't battle much. I don't want to know WHAT DEMs they would use for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    I'm more surprised why the freak the writers had Scraggy master FB before the league, I was certain he would kick Hydreigon's *** as a reference to the Victini movie, but no.
    I don't recall, did Scraggy even use FB against the Darumaka? XD

I don't recall, did Scraggy even use FB against the Darumaka? XD
    Dunno, think he won with a Headbutt. Not like FB ever failed for him before, he knocked out Larvitar with it before "officially" mastering it. I'm more disappointed since he's one of my favorite Unova Pokemon and he could have put all that Dragon-type training against Axew to use with something stronger like Hydreigon :P TBH, Scraggy, Pikachu, Pignite, Oshawott, and Krookodile are the true core members of the team for Unova. The others are just...err.....nonexistent. Snivy might as well have been caught by Cilan given her connection to Emolga and the fact Iris borrowed her, making her a competent Pokemon from the beginning is why I feel she's so static right now.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast