Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 425

Thread: How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Inside the GS ball.
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Man the Gary Ash battle ALONE trumps all of the Unova league. I think that battle was the pinnacle of league story arch's we've ever seen. Ash had to be at the top of his game to fight Gary and he really shown us how smart and strong of a trainer he had become. He really brought his A game in that fight. I wish more leagues were taken seriously like that one.

    1. Johto - the battles were just...epic. They didn't let down at all...and...I wanted gary to win. I cried when I seen how hurt he looked when he lost...literally...I'm a fangirl what can I say...

    2. Hoenn - While the series itself wasn't my favorite, it was still good. The battles were nice and it was fun.

    3. Indigo - I know this is mainly for nostalgia but come on, Kingler was amazing IMO >D that league just made me laugh more than any other. That and I to felt the pain Ash felt when he lost. The writers an artists did a good job showing the emotion and how hard Ash took it. Really made you feel kinda bad for him. This is more down to the emotions it gave me. It was more entertaining then Hoenn but because the battles were half written I felt Hoenn just deserved it more. Sure it was bad but it was entertaining, and the emotion it portrayed really moved you. Only league to make me feel as many feels as this one was Johto.

    4. Sinnoh - If it weren't for nostalgia this one would be 3rd. Only problem is I didn't really watch Sinnoh. I had kinda lost interest after the Hoenn league so I actually missed it, though I looked at clips and read up on it.


    5. Unova...I think you know why...
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 10th January 2013 at 5:16 PM.

    NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

    Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping


  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Sanctuary
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    I just don't understand why Ash didn't use his stronger Pokemon... I know the writer's were going to make him lose anyway but it could of been against Virgil. I hope next region Dawn comes back so Piplup can be the second mascot again and maybe Ash will start evolving his team again....end rant.

    Though if Ash gets the chance to rebattle Cameron 6vs6 in Episode N and defeats him I wouldn't really mind that he lost this battle.

  3. #78

    Default

    Oh god, the Unova League. Why did I anticipate it so much from BW001, it was absolutely horrendous. Besides the ending with Ash looking back at his Unova journey (doing what happened at the Indigo League), everything was awful.

    Ash vs Stephan was the best written battle but it definetly wasn't the best, none of them were. I can't even rank the battles because they were terrible. Let's have a look at the reasons why it sucked so bad, and the good points after (which is a minority lol).

    Bad:

    -6 Episodes long, 1 being a filler episode.
    -Battles were constantly being skipped making them seem much less important.
    -Ash regressed in the League.
    -Ash lost to an idiot Cameron in the League, his comedy went far beyond a joke and he just came off as stupid, Ash losing to him seemed ridiculous.
    -Ash lost 5 vs 6 to Cameron making him look even weaker.
    -Trip was knocked out staight away, no epic battle like Gary and Paul (the only thing i can say which would redeem this point is if the writers had planned all along a 6v6 with them at the end of the entire saga).
    -Ash only had 3 real battles in the League, one was skipped.
    -Ash's team seemed too weak despite being fairly powerful (this has been a problem all saga though tbh).
    -The League was treated practically as a Club Battle, making it much less effective and special.
    -Mr. Goodshow didn't appear at all.
    -Virgil became champion, but nothing glorified it at all besides him holding the trophy. He left within seconds.
    -None of the battles lacked any tension or thrill (this is my opinion however i'm sure people agree).

    Good:

    -Intro with Ash reflecting on each Gym Battle at night (nice reference to Sinnoh's League).
    -Pikachu's tactic to defeat Serperior was cool.
    -All of Ash's Unova Team got at least one battle.
    -Pikachu vs Lucario was a good fight.
    -Ending scene with Ash reflecting on his Unova Journey and meeting back up with Iris and Cilan was really nice to see (nice reference to the Indigo League too).
    Last edited by Haunter ゴースト; 10th January 2013 at 5:41 PM.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Oh god, the Unova League. Why did I anticipate it so much from BW001, it was absolutely horrendous. Besides the ending with Ash looking back at his Unova journey (doing what happened at the Indigo League), everything was awful.

    Ash vs Stephan was the best written battle but it definetly wasn't the best, none of them were. I can't even rank the battles because they were terrible. Let's have a look at the reasons why it sucked so bad, and the good points after (which is a minority lol).

    Bad:

    -6 Episodes long, 1 being a filler episode.
    -Battles were constantly being skipped making them seem much less important.
    -Ash regressed in the League.
    -Ash lost to an idiot Cameron in the League, his comedy went far beyond a joke and he just came off as stupid, Ash losing to him seemed ridiculous.
    -Ash lost 5 vs 6 to Cameron making him look even weaker.
    -Trip was knocked out staight away, no epic battle like Gary and Paul (the only thing i can say which would redeem this point is if the writers had planned all along a 6v6 with them at the end of the entire saga).
    -Ash only had 3 real battles in the League, one was skipped.
    -Ash's team seemed too weak despite being fairly powerful (this has been a problem all saga though tbh).
    -The League was treated practically as a Club Battle, making it much less effective and special.
    -Mr. Goodshow didn't appear at all.
    -Virgil became champion, but nothing glorified it at all besides him holding the trophy. He left within seconds.
    -None of the battles lacked any tension or thrill (this is my opinion however i'm sure people agree).

    Good:

    -Intro with Ash reflecting on each Gym Battle at night (nice reference to Sinnoh's League).
    -Pikachu's tactic to defeat Serperior was cool.
    -All of Ash's Unova Team got at least one battle.
    -Pikachu vs Lucario was a good fight.
    -Ending scene with Ash reflecting on his Unova Journey and meeting back up with Iris and Cilan was really nice to see (nice reference to the Indigo League too).
    That about sums up my thoughts... though I'd add that Virigil won the Unova league despite not owning a single Unova Pokemon. Great representation of this generation right there
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  5. #80

    Default

    This would be either the worst or 2nd worst for me. Ash went backwards in his league placement (like I predicted he would) and it sounds to be anticlimactic and a bore anyways. My rating for the leagues from favorite to least favorite would be: Sinnoh, Johto, Hoenn, and a tie between Kanto and Unova.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Oh this is definitely the worst league for me. Some people say Kanto, but at least in Kanto there was a reason Ash sucked, he was inexperienced. Not to mention I was a kid at the time, so just seeing him get there and beat Gary was hype city. As far as this one goes, I'm glad Palpitoad, Krookodile, and Leavanny got new moves... That's it. I hate everything else about this league.

    1.It only had six episodes contrary to the usual seven or eight (five if you don't count the Axew episode)
    2. The fact there was a whole episode dedicated to Axew getting lost (=.=).
    3. Ash lost to someone who thought you could get into the Unova league with seven badges in Ecruteak City with only five pokemon in a full battle
    4. Ash used freakin Oshawott against a Hydreigon
    5. Cameron lost to Virgil immediately after with Virgil only using five pokemon and Cameron using a Watchog (=.= =.=)
    6. Virgil added nothing to the league. Sure we met him for an episode, but other than that, nothing...
    Some Of My Sprites <333



  7. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,412

    Default

    I didn't watch the Unova League. I have just been going by what you all have been saying. Sounds like it was pretty horrible. Which is a shame, while I don't like Best Wishes, the league is something everyone should look forward to even in a bad region. I mean I have very mixed feelings about Johto, but IMO it had one of the most entertaining leagues of all. I was kind of hoping BW's league would do that for Unova. Oh well. It's all on Episode N now.

    Off topic, how can anyone dislike the Hoenn League? It was like the best one. The Hoenn team dominated the entire league as they should have with no reserves at all. Grovyle, Corphish, Swellow, Torkoal and Glalie got to be the sole Pokemon to take Ash far in that league without outside help from Pokemon that didn't do squat for the team during the Gym quest. Oh and Pikachu was there to of course :P
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Probably the worst one honestly XD

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I find it a bit insulting that this wasn't such a good league being based on the games' representation of the U.S...
    That may explain everything...
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

    [CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Terrible. And' I'm being gentle. Yeah, everyone knows Ash will lose at the end, and, while I have nothing against Cameron, this league as whole was a colossal pain... as the whole region. Well, it's with you now, N. Tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Basically any interesting idea you have when speculating about new regions invariably ends with:
    - Ash showing up in a new region with Pikachu without a clue how to do anything besides battling and breathing;
    - He accidentally runs into the new new girl who will be the main companion;
    - He meets a creepy older gentleman* who will follow him around and do the things Ash apparently is either not smart enough to do, or expects that someone will it for him.

    *Averted. Now, we have a gadget maniac and his hyper-active lil' sis.
    Platinum FC - 1075 8811 5380

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lakeland, FL 33810 in USA
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Well, to be honest, I thought that the Sinnoh League is far better than this Unova Conference and the rest of the Leagues. Let me compare to this...

    1) Sinnoh League
    2) Johto League
    3) Hoenn League
    4) Kanto League
    5) Unova League

    Although, Pikachu could have beaten Tyson's Meowth if he wasn't worn out from his battle with Metagross.
    Last edited by Shego; 10th January 2013 at 6:57 PM.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.


    FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Sanctuary
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shego View Post
    Well, to be honest, I thought that the Sinnoh League is far better than this Unova Conference and the rest of the Leagues. Let me compare to this...

    1) Sinnoh League
    2) Johto League
    3) Hoenn League
    4) Kanto League
    5) Unova League
    That's exactly how I would rate the Leagues too I had really high hopes for BW too but it just wasn't meant to be

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shego View Post
    Well, to be honest, I thought that the Sinnoh League is far better than this Unova Conference and the rest of the Leagues. Let me compare to this...

    1) Sinnoh League
    2) Johto League
    3) Hoenn League
    4) Kanto League
    5) Unova League

    Although, Pikachu could have beaten Tyson's Meowth if he wasn't worn out from his battle with Metagross.
    I might put Johto over the Sinnoh league and the Hoenn and Kanto Leagues are interchangeable to me but good list.

  14. #89

    Default

    I never actually ordered the Leagues, but here:

    1)Sinnoh
    2)Kanto
    3)Hoenn/Johto
    4'millionth) Unova

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    That may explain everything...
    They're just jealous that were better then them at the games
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    I really didn't like this league. It was very short and all the rivals that got tons of screentime and that the writers made effort to write them lost very early and we've seen only the new trainers that mostly relayed on non-Unova Pokemon, which really annoys me.
    In snow, the pure white coat covering its body obscures it from predators.
    Dewgong



  17. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IcySealeo View Post
    I really didn't like this league. It was very short and all the rivals that got tons of screentime and that the writers made effort to write them lost very early and we've seen only the new trainers that mostly relayed on non-Unova Pokemon, which really annoys me.
    The winner of the Unova League didn't even have a Gen 5 Pokémon. What's up with that?

  18. #93

    Default

    I hated the League but Pikachu vs Lucario was an awesome battle and one of the best in the Series.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    It was also the only league without Mr. Goodshow. His absence caused the league to suck.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Why am I hearing people say that the Sinnoh League was criticized by fans? Was it Tobias? DP TRio? I loved that League personally.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Sanctuary
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    I wonder why Cameron didn't use Watchog earlier in this battle. He probably forgot he even captured it though...

  22. #97
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    It was also the only league without Mr. Goodshow. His absence caused the league to suck.
    Old is probably the president of the Japan Pokeleagues not the american one.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The United States of America
    Posts
    72

    Default

    honestly, it has so much potential but was the most poorly handled of all leagues, in my opinion. They created some amazing Rivals for this series, some that would have put up great fights in 6v6 had they actually been given 6 Pokemon to work with. But we saw our main rival, Trip, obliterated in the first round in a 1v1. Then we had our other rivals eliminated early on, only be handed Cameron. Now honestly, if you took the team he had into the league and faced Ash, you probably could have won with 5 Pokemon too. A Hydreigon alone could probably sweep half of everyone's team. the sad thing was that Cameron had very little development and was shown as incompetent, yet he was given a Samurott, a Ferrothorn, a Lucario, and a Hydreigon. It was simply mishandled all around. We expect Ash to lose, but i personally like to see him beaten by someone who i believe is actually more capable than him, and that wasn't Cameron. I liked Virgil, but he also got zero development, so a loss to him may have felt similar. But at least he won, and did to Cameron what Cameron did to Ash (win with 5 Pokemon)

    My favorite league is still Sinnoh. Yes, Ash got beaten by a guy with a Darkrai and Latios. But Ash's team was very capable going in. And he was the ONLY trainer to defeat two of Tobais' Pokemon. Not even the finalist was able to do that. That showed us as viewers that he had the skill it took to get to the finals. Plus we had my favorite battle of all time, Paul v. Ash (put poor Torterra got treated terrible after evolution D: )
    Yellow Team [Currently In Progress]:
    () () . . () . () . . () . . ()
    Justin - Wilfred - Xavier - Tank - Raymundo - Dugtrio

    Black 2 Team:
    () () . () . () . () . ()
    Tidas - Hades - Odin - Valdosta - Stark - Oscar

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Gorgeous animation at the end of the episode when Ash was standing in the middle of the Stadium and Iris and Cilan call out to him. Seems like a powerful moment.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A Number from 0 to 100?
    Posts
    393

    Default

    I personally love the unique twists & turnouts of the league! Trip being beaten in the first round defys everybodys expectation of Trip against Ash in the final round!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

    I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

    I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

    I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •