Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rank the Unova league in comparison with past leagues?

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Demon View Post
    I personally love the unique twists & turnouts of the league! Trip being beaten in the first round defys everybodys expectation of Trip against Ash in the final round!
    I hated that. Trip would have been a much better opponent to face in a full battle.

if i had to number them then

1. Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Johto
    4. Unova
    5. Kanto

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    if i had to number them then

1. Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Johto
    4. Unova
    5. Kanto
    Where would you put Unova if Cameron won?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Where would you put Unova if Cameron won?
    same place haha still not a good league either way :P just wouldve been better for me :P

It was disappointing. From Ash only having literally three consistently strong Pokemon, to some idiot who forgets his sixth Pokemon winning (2-0 pretty much) to there only being like two decent battles, (even the Indigo League had a few more entertaining battles) it was just not that great. They've had better Club tournaments.

However, it's over any now we can look forward to Episode N, which looks to be really promising.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    1. Johto-Notable for having 2 of the best 6v6s we have ever seen and most of all because Charizard was the main pokemon not Pikachu. Also the Gary battle was the only one where Ash went all out with his selection of pokemon and harrison's was just fast paced and frenetic. Plus it had a unique score system and aside from bulbasaur and squirtle stealing too much glory from his johto team in the prelims it was excellent.

2. Sinnoh- Ash had 4 battles, but all were excellently done from the Nando Bug off to Conway( AKA trainer which follows the games the best) using all sorts of strategies from trick room to power trick as well as Draco meteor it made things a real treat to watch. Ash and Paul was a 3 part battle(only 1 to date) and surprisingly there wasn't much filler or outside interruption. trollbias ruined it though.

3. Hoenn- While Ash fought the most and his 2 league rivals were interesting and 3 6v6s were always welcome, I sometimes had to pinch myself in disbelief at how sturdy his team was and how much damage it could dish out vs much tougher species. So if everything was the same and Crawdanut and sceptile was there instead it would have been higher.

4. Unova- 3 battles, the main rival gets kicked out early, random mid league filler in an already short league, Ash losing vs the dumbest trainer ever. At least Ash vs Stephan and the first half of Ash vs Camoron was decent

5.Kanto- Kingler was awesome, I don't remeber much else, but Ash's last battle was so bad to this day nothing could top it.
    I for the most part agree, but Kanto League outside of that horrible last one, had for the most part had better battles.

The ONLY battle I liked in the Unova League was Ash vs Stephan.

As for just Pokémon match-ups for the rest of the matches, I also liked Hydreigon vs Pignite. But that's IT.

Kanto, I liked every single one of them (for the most part), EXCEPT Ash vs Ritchie. But since Ash got Top 16, in the most hideous way, I can agree Kanto was lesser than Unova.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I for the most part agree, but Kanto League outside of that horrible last one, had for the most part had better battles.

The ONLY battle I liked in the Unova League was Ash vs Stephan.

As for just Pokémon match-ups for the rest of the matches, I also liked Hydreigon vs Pignite. But that's IT.

Kanto, I liked every single one of them (for the most part), EXCEPT Ash vs Ritchie. But since Ash got Top 16, in the most hideous way, I can agree Kanto was lesser than Unova.
    At least he was a beginner in Kanto... even though Ash lost because two of his Pokemon fell asleep. I for the life of me still don't know why he sent out Squirtle first if he knew that Charmander was one of Rithcie's favorite Pokemon
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    At least he was a beginner in Kanto... even though Ash lost because two of his Pokemon fell asleep. I for the life of me still don't know why he sent out Squirtle first if he knew that Charmander was one of Rithcie's favorite Pokemon
    Same logic as sending a Oshawott out to get steamrolled by hydregion instead of just going with Pignite .
    pkmn white FC - 5286 0901 4548
    SSBB FC - 2878 9266 7327
    mario kart wii 4682-8852-9467

Quote Originally Posted by AhTreyYou View Post
    I wonder why Cameron didn't use Watchog earlier in this battle. He probably forgot he even captured it though...
    Nope, he thought you only use 5 pokemon in a full battle >.<
    Some Of My Sprites <333

Just my two cents

1) Johto - Johto had some unbelievable battles, such as the matches against Harrison and Jackson. On top of that, it did a great job balancing a narrative for the league with the battles. Even moreso, we got to see Gary and Ash finally clash in a showdown over 250 episodes in the making. Ash fought through 6 trainers before losing to Harrison, and placing in the top 8. Some of the show's best battles that made full use of the benefits of Anime Style battling, a good plot, and natural progression earn it the top spot for me.

2) Sinnoh - Sinnoh had many of the same strengths the Johto league did, though the overall plot wasn't as cohesive and fun as the Johto league episodes for me. The matches against Paul and Tobias in particular are still arguably Ash's best matches. For fantastic battles, long awaited Rival showdowns, and a decent narrarative, I award Sinnoh the number 2 spot.

3) Kanto - Ash's very first league showed just how much the series had progressed in 80 episodes. Sure the battles weren't epic the way they were in subsequent leagues, but up to that point, the only battle comparable to the league battles was the match against Blaine! More importantly, the league arc focused on Ash's development from a novice trainer to a competent one, as well as showcasing the bonds between his pokemon. It also was a big step foward to have him outplace Gary, his rival, and show he still had a long way to go through the character of Richie. The league ended with a promise of even better showings to come. Because I value narrarative over battle substance, I award Kanto the third spot.

4) Hoenn - Hoenn had good battles. In fact, most people remember this league as THE battle league. It earned points for having different battles, for Ash focusing on his Hoenn pokemon, and such. It's not a bad league at all. It's just that I found the other three to be more enjoyable. So Hoenn lands in at number 4

5) Orange Islands - It's not really fair, as it was still Pre-Johto and it was only one match, but Orange Islands league match was still pretty epic. It was Ash's first league win, his first 6 on 6 battle, etc.

6) Unova - So we all have our criticisms of this league. Therefore, let me start with the benefits. The matches were VERY well coreographed. I enjoyed seeing all the rivals have decent showings in the league. The match against Stephan was another one of Ash's really great league matches. I did think it was very ironic to see the Evolution=Win trope being used against Ash for once. Now the negatives. I don't think that having Ash and Trip's final rival match be a one on one with their Starters was a wise move. Even worse, Serperior goes down to ONE electro Ball? Then again, I've never been the biggest fan of electro ball, since I think it was silly for it to replace Volt Tackle, but whatever. Of course, having Cameron beat Ash was certainly disappointing, especially since Cameron seemed to be a bit of an airhead. Virgil being a red herring was something that was beyond lame. And of course, the WORST part is that they wasted a whole episode of the shortest league in HISTORY on AXEW. They also ripped that ending montage with ash running to Iris and Cilan STRAIGHT from the last episode of the Kanto league.
    "I'm the best there is at what I do"

For give a official League order:
    1. Johto; 2.Sinnoh; 3.Hoenn; 4.Unova; 5.Kanto
    I rectify and put the Unova League better than Kanto ecause >I remember better than in Kanto through 3 episodes, the only battle was Ash vs Ritchie (that lkasted 4 minutes) and screenshots of Ritchie vs Assunta. Including the pats of the first three episode that aren't the League Deserves a 4, not more. Not only it's a letdown compared to other leagues but also it's a letdown compari9ng with other parts of the Best Wishes (BW had great arcs). The lack of at least one more battle and the first part of Ash vs Cameron dissapoint me.

I expected since the start that the league are going to be worse than Johto, Sinnoh and possibly Hoenn. But I don't expected that dissapointment of League. Then, what I expected from the league?

I expected that Ash gets Top 8 since the start. I'm surprised that Ash could get Top 4 because Ash was resetted in the start of Unova. And my outcome of the league has changed during the process.

-When Cameron was revealed:
    Prelim 1 (1vs1), Prelim 2 (1vs1), 1/16 VS Cameron (3vs3 or 4vs4 Double), 1/8 VS Trip (6vs6) and 1/4 VS Bianca (6vs6). Trip or Bianca defeats Stephan.
    -When Virgil was revealed:
    Prelim 1 (1vs1), Prelim 2 (1vs1), 1/16 VS Bianca (same as above), 1/8 VS Trip (full) and 1/4 VS Virgil (full).
    -When Ash vs TRip was confirmed to be in Round 1:
    1st round VS Trip (3vs3)*, 1/16 VS Bianca (same as above, 1/8 VS Cameron (full) and 1/4 VS Virgil (full).
    -When we know that Ash is facing Stephan and Kotetsu: The same as now but with Ash facing Virgil. I thought that Ash facing Virgil was confirmed.
    -The final result:
    Prelim. VS Trip (1vs1),1/8 VS Stephan and 1/4 VS Kotetsu.

And I give my prediction of the league when Ash vs Trip was announced:

-When Virgil was revealed.
    Episode 1: Introduction.
    Episode 2: Prelimaries
    Episode 3: More preliminaries of the rest of rivals. Stephan vs Bianca.
    Episode 4: Ash vs Bianca, Cameron vs Trip.
    Episode 5: Ash vs Trip I
    Episode 6: Ash vs Trip II
    Episode 7: Ash vs Virgil (yes, only 1 episode)- Virgil wins.

In fact, the League has had 7 episodes when we consider that in leagues like Hoenn and Sinnoh, the battles doesn't started until a bit later in the second episode, giving 6 episodes (Hoenn) and 7 episodes (Sinnoh) of battles.

I remember the Unova compared eith past league and OI just remember that in Unova with the excpetion of the Axew plot, all the episode was almost dedicated to the League from start to finish. The only League that I remember something similar at the end was Hoenn and his three full battles (when in Unova we got 9, in Hoenn we got 18).

I think that the Sinnoh saga was too good. Until I know that BW was coming, I thought that Ash would win that league and start taking the Elite 4 members. And that the league will last like 11 episodes. And I thought that Dawn is really winning the GF AND that the Glameow episode was a "fake" episode made by OLM to hide the celebration party.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 10th January 2013 at 10:12 PM.

1.Sinnoh
    2.Hoenn
    3.Johto
    4.Unova and Kanto
    My Final B2-normal mode- team:

Well I am sure he win the next league right RIght RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by jdgjordan View Post
    Well I am sure he win the next league right RIght RIGHT?
    Uh... rrrright
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    The problem wasn't because Ash was a beginner.

The problem is Ritchie couldn't beat Ash had the battle been actually written well. It was obvious Ash was superior to Ash, and the only reason Ash lost was because Ash was a beginner.

Had the battle been written well, as in not devoted it's time to Team Rocket, maybe I wouldn't have a had a problem with it.

The thing that makes it worse is Ash almost got disqualified because of Team Rocket.

And because of Team Rocket, Ash was forced to use Charizard.

That battle can't even be called a battle, it was just a horrible rushed mess, that will always earn its place as the worst battle EVER.

Ash didn't even call out any attacks, that's how rushed it was. At least every other 'horrible' battle at least resembles and anime Pokémon battle.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

The problem is Ritchie couldn't beat Ash had the battle been actually written well. It was obvious Ash was superior to Ash, and the only reason Ash lost was because Ash was a beginner.

Had the battle been written well, as in not devoted it's time to Team Rocket, maybe I wouldn't have a had a problem with it.

The thing that makes it worse is Ash almost got disqualified because of Team Rocket.

That battle can't even be called a battle, it was just a horrible rushed mess, that will always earn its place as the worst battle EVER.

Ash didn't even call out any attacks, that's how rushed it was. At least every other 'horrible' battle at least resembles and anime Pokémon battle.
    I'll admit I had no problem with the episode when I was younger... but looking back, yes, the episode wasn't league worthy

I've noticed you've gone crazy over this battle hundreds of times, so i'd like to take the time to say that I actually enjoyed the battle because of the outcome. Ash has never been disqualified from a battle before, so why not in a unique way which cost him the League? I loved the idea of it.

I do agree that TR should not have interupted though, they shouldn't have been in the episode and at the very least could have been looking from afar. I'd have preferred the 3v3 drawn out over the episode instead of being rushed in the last 5 minutes. The quality of the Indigo League battles was awesome, so if the finale had been like the rest, i'm sure people wouldn't rage so much on Charizard disobeying Ash and costing him the battle.

1. Hoenn
    2. Sinnoh
    3. Johto
    4. Unova
    5. Kanto

Hoenn was the best and had some really good battles. There was more 6 vs 6 battles too, which I liked, and the CotDs didn't seem lifeless and created solely to be beaten. It also had the best handling of Ash's team.

Sinnoh was good but it had some relatively small issues. Skipping an entire battle, weird use of reserves (some appeared and weren't touched), Tobias having a Latios. Ash vs Paul is definitely the highlight that bumps it ahead of Johto.

Johto. I honestly can't remember it well. I liked the format and the final two battles.

Unova was a mess, but at least it had the fruits of Best Wishes, like... uh, good animation.

Kanto had nostalgic value, but the battles in retrospect were so crappy. The exposure of certain Pokemon was handled weirdly too.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I've noticed you've gone crazy over this battle hundreds of times, so i'd like to take the time to say that I actually enjoyed the battle because of the outcome. Ash has never been disqualified from a battle before, so why not in a unique way which cost him the League? I loved the idea of it.

I do agree that TR should not have interupted though, they shouldn't have been in the episode and at the very least could have been looking from afar. I'd have preferred the 3v3 drawn out over the episode instead of being rushed in the last 5 minutes. The quality of the Indigo League battles was awesome, so if the finale had been like the rest, i'm sure people wouldn't rage so much on Charizard disobeying Ash and costing him the battle.
    The thing is disqualifying Ash for what happened would be so B.S. If he didn't make it in time.

If any sport that existed that involved animals, and your animal was being kidnapped, I really don't think it's right to disqualify anyone for that.

Seeing as how that's an extreme extenuating circumstance, I understand that there is time factor, but for all anyone knew (I know this is for kids but still), Ash and Pikachu could've been lying somewhere dead or dying, and all anyone seemed to really care about was "No one's here battling Ritchie, oh well let's disqualify him and move on, we have better things to do." How about you pause the tournament and have everyone out looking for him. Seriously he's 10 years old. You don't just wait hours and hours hoping he shows up. Seriously that's one of the reasons I disliked the episode.

The battle however will always be the worst thing that happened to Pokémon, it can't even be called a battle. It's not like anything really fainted. Ritchie's Charmander only lost because it ran away from Charizard like a coward on top of falling asleep.

And Ritchie only won because Charizard refused to battle.

I've seen better rushed battles, that actually resemble battles.

The Unova league has to be the worst league by far.
    First of all he fought Trip way to early. I think DP got it right with Paul. Also a mere 1 vs 1 with the main rival is just a stupid idea in my opinion.
    The Axew filler was random and didn't make a lot sense either.
    But Ash losing to Cameron was probably the worst. It's not only that he defeated Ash with only 5 Pokemon but it's also that he is the world's dumbest trainer.
    Such a shame that Ash lost to a guy like that.
    Virgil is probably the only thing I liked about this league but other then that I am glad that it's over. The Don tournaments were probably even better then this.
    Episode N looks promising and I am glad we can put this league behind us and forget about it.

For me it goes: Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Sinnoh >>>>>>>>>> Unova. Like seriously, I cannot even begin to describe how many things were done wrong in the Unova League. I just feel that I wasted my time following it. I thought it would redeem some of the travesties that occurred during the rest of BW, but it ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back, for me anyway. I don't know how other people feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    I don't know how other people feel about it.
    Most people seem to hate it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    For me it goes: Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Sinnoh >>>>>>>>>> Unova. Like seriously, I cannot even begin to describe how many things were done wrong in the Unova League. I just feel that I wasted my time following it. I thought it would redeem some of the travesties that occurred during the rest of BW, but it ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back, for me anyway. I don't know how other people feel about it.
    Haha i'm sure if you read through the comments you'll realise that everybody feels the exact same way.

The only things I truly liked was the flashback of Gym Battles, Pikachus combo attack against Serperior, Pikachu vs Lucario and the final flashback ending scene.

I would have to say that I think the handling of the Pokemon leagues have been deteriorating since the end of the Houen league. Skipping over matches is never a good thing in Pokemon leagues, this is one of the few times in the series that we see a series of Pokemon battles back to back to back. I also disliked having two on two battles instead of double battles or just skipping to three on three. I was actually fine with the one on one battles but only if none of the major rivals were eliminated.

Kanto:
    Pros: First pokemon league; nice usage of Pokemon that were never used in battle before (Muk and Krabby/Kingler); character development for Gary; Ash losing and dedicating himself to try harder
    Cons: Skipping over parts of battles; Team Rocket tiring out Pikachu and Pidgeotto before the last battle;

Johto:
    Pros: Detailed preliminary rounds, great rotation of Pokemon; 6 on 6 battle between Ash and Gary; Ash doing better than the previous league
    Cons: Kingler missing out on battling

Houen:
    Pros: Detailed preliminary rounds; double battles; interesting choice to use only his Houen team; 3 six on six battles
    Cons: Ash making stupid mistakes (Pikachu vs Steelix); no rivals until the league

Sinnoh:
    Pros: Introducing an opponent with legenday Pokemon; six on six battles; Ash making it to the top 4
    Cons: Skipping over the screening rounds straight to the preliminaries; having Tobias appear with 2 legendary Pokemon without making an appearance before the league; Skipping over one of Ash's preliminary battles despite skipping the entire screening round

Unova:
    Pros: Detailed preliminary rounds;
    Cons: Only 1 six on six battle; skipping over matches; Ash making stupid mistakes (Pignite vs Swanna); eliminating Trip in the screening round; Ash placing worst than the last league

The thing is disqualifying Ash for what happened would be so B.S. If he didn't make it in time.
    Don't get me wrong, I know full well if Ash had made it on time he wouldn't have even considered Charizard, but personally if the writers dedicated the whole episode to the 3v3, i'd have still preferred Ash to risk using Charizard at the end and get disqualified. It's just so unique and effective if you ask me. It was his most important battle and to lose because a Pokemon was disobedient gives you the "wow what a shock" kind of factor.

How about you pause the tournament and have everyone out looking for him. Seriously he's 10 years old. You don't just wait hours and hours hoping he shows up. Seriously that's one of the reasons I disliked the episode.
    Hmm, it's not entirely possible to send a search team though. Ash could have been absolutely anywhere in the world which could have taken weeks/months to find him. The League battles needed to keep moving forward so it does seem like a standard procedure to disqualify the opponent if he doesn't show.

I'm sure if we had a Football game about to begin and a player didn't show, the team would still carry on with another player making the replacement. No search team until after the game if at all.

Also, the fact that Ash is 10 years old travelling the world alone is much more drastic than missing a battle.

The battle however will always be the worst thing that happened to Pokémon, it can't even be called a battle. It's not like anything really fainted. Ritchie's Charmander only lost because it ran away from Charizard like a coward on top of falling asleep.

And Ritchie only won because Charizard refused to battle.

I've seen better rushed battles, that actually resemble battles.
    Alright, I can definetly see why you hate this battle so much but I did actually enjoy it for what it was. Squirtle and Pikachu vs Butterfree did exist, and Charmander vs Pikachu existed too. Just because of the Charizard incident didn't mean those two battles didn't take place. I do agree the battle (heck the episode) definetly could have been TONNES better, but it wasn't and i'm fine for what it was. As I said above, it would have been much better if TR didn't do anything and the whole episode was based on the 3v3, much like Ash vs Stephan. This way the battle could have been more effective and interesting, instead what we got was rushed which is a real shame.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast