Thread: Not a weather team

Default Not a weather team

This team is designed to have a Pokemon that can switch into any enemy and hit them with a super-effective move or do some damage to them in another way (e.g. Pain Split, Spore)
    I had an old team which was Staraptor/Heatran/Gastrodon/Lucario/Reuniclus/Latios. I had it for about a year but because of the poor effect it had on my rating I finally decided to change it.

Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 Hp /252 SpAttack /252 Speed
    Nature: Modest
    Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Focus Blast
    Grass Knot

Thundurus is longer lasting and faster than the Staraptor that I am used to but it has weaker attack power and people see Thundurus a lot more than Staraptor and so they are ready to counter it but Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Ice, and Focus Blast have good coverage. I haven’t used grass knot much yet and I don’t mind replacing it but I can see its usefulness on stuff life Swampert that my team would otherwise struggle against. When Thundurus faints I am left open to dragon types, flying types, water types that Breloom can’t handle and other stuff that Thundurus is helpful for.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swarm
    Moves:
    Flamethrower
    Bug Buzz
    Quiver Dance
    Roost

Whenever a Pokemon destroys me I feel the need to put it into a team. Volcarona is one such Pokemon. A few quiver dances and it is great, although Life Orb means it dies sooner than I would like so I added Roost as a recovery move. Flamethrower and Bug Buzz hit pretty much everything and with Quiver dance Volcarona gets better Special Defence, Speed and Special Attack which makes him a huge threat.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    Moves:
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute
    Pain Split

I love Gengar. It has got me out of some tight spots and it is another Pokemon that my old teams struggle to combat. Pain Split is very useful, especially in conjunction with substitute. Focus Blast has good coverage, Shadow ball is reliable for accuracy and respectable power and together they take on most things that switch in.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 58 Hp /252 SpAttack /200 Speed
    Moves:
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Signal Beam
    Rapid Spin

I think Starmie is pretty good but it doesn’t survive long in my opinion so I added some more Hp EVs. I calculated that the fastest fire type is Infernape with a maximum speed of 346 so I gave Starmie 347 and gave the extra EVs to Starmie’s Hp. I had a Keldeo but I switched it for Starmie so I could have rapid spin. A strong accurate water move is essential for me but I don’t mind changing thunderbolt and signal beam.

Breloom @Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 4 Hp /252 Attack /252 Speed
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves:
    Bullet Seed
    Mach Punch
    Swords Dance
    Spore

Breloom extremely annoying so I of course wanted to incorporate it into a team. I don’t think grass types have a good enough coverage but it is good for attacking waters and if I use swords dance Mach punch actually becomes a viable attack. Spore is good but you can only use it on one Pokemon at a time so I have to use it on a Pokemon that is a threat to my team but one that Breloom can spore before it dies.

Metagross @Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    Nature: Adamant
    Moves:
    Meteor Mash
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    ThunderPunch

Meteor Mash is strong but hasn’t got good type coverage. I always hated water types with ice moves and ice types with water moves because I found them hard to counter but I figured out that steel types with electric moves are the key. Rock slide hits flying types and Volcarona (very handy move), Earthquake is strong and meteor mash is reliable and most Pokemon Metagross faces are neutral to steel.

How can I replace Breloom with something more useful and with better type coverage?

Can I get Starmie to take more hits?

Should I put Hammer arm or something on Metagross instead of Meteor Mash?

Focus Blast has shocking accuracy and I think it could do with a replacement. Hidden power fighting is a bit too weak, maybe I could boost it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Pokemon Online username is Oxydawn. If I battle you, feel free to talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyano View Post
    This team is designed to have a Pokemon that can switch into any enemy and hit them with a super-effective move or do some damage to them in another way (e.g. Pain Split, Spore)
    I had an old team which was Staraptor/Heatran/Gastrodon/Lucario/Reuniclus/Latios. I had it for about a year but because of the poor effect it had on my rating I finally decided to change it.

Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Focus Blast
    Volt Switch

Thundurus is longer lasting and faster than the Staraptor that I am used to but it has weaker attack power and people see Thundurus a lot more than Staraptor and so they are ready to counter it but Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Ice, and Focus Blast have good coverage. I haven’t used grass knot much yet and I don’t mind replacing it but I can see its usefulness on stuff life Swampert that my team would otherwise struggle against. When Thundurus faints I am left open to dragon types, flying types, water types that Breloom can’t handle and other stuff that Thundurus is helpful for.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Ability: Flame Body
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Moves:
    Fiery Dance
    Bug Buzz
    Quiver Dance
    Roost

Whenever a Pokemon destroys me I feel the need to put it into a team. Volcarona is one such Pokemon. A few quiver dances and it is great, although Life Orb means it dies sooner than I would like so I added Roost as a recovery move. Flamethrower and Bug Buzz hit pretty much everything and with Quiver dance Volcarona gets better Special Defence, Speed and Special Attack which makes him a huge threat.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Moves:
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute
    Pain Split

I love Gengar. It has got me out of some tight spots and it is another Pokemon that my old teams struggle to combat. Pain Split is very useful, especially in conjunction with substitute. Focus Blast has good coverage, Shadow ball is reliable for accuracy and respectable power and together they take on most things that switch in.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Moves:
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam/Psyshock
    Rapid Spin

I think Starmie is pretty good but it doesn’t survive long in my opinion so I added some more Hp EVs. I calculated that the fastest fire type is Infernape with a maximum speed of 346 so I gave Starmie 347 and gave the extra EVs to Starmie’s Hp. I had a Keldeo but I switched it for Starmie so I could have rapid spin. A strong accurate water move is essential for me but I don’t mind changing thunderbolt and signal beam.

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    Moves:
    Bullet Seed
    Mach Punch
    Swords Dance
    Spore

Breloom extremely annoying so I of course wanted to incorporate it into a team. I don’t think grass types have a good enough coverage but it is good for attacking waters and if I use swords dance Mach punch actually becomes a viable attack. Spore is good but you can only use it on one Pokemon at a time so I have to use it on a Pokemon that is a threat to my team but one that Breloom can spore before it dies.

Metagross @ Choice Band
    EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
    Moves:
    Meteor Mash
    Bullet Punch
    Hammer Arm

Earthquake

Meteor Mash is strong but hasn’t got good type coverage. I always hated water types with ice moves and ice types with water moves because I found them hard to counter but I figured out that steel types with electric moves are the key. Rock slide hits flying types and Volcarona (very handy move), Earthquake is strong and meteor mash is reliable and most Pokemon Metagross faces are neutral to steel.

How can I replace Breloom with something more useful and with better type coverage?

Focus Blast has shocking accuracy and I think it could do with a replacement. Hidden power fighting is a bit too weak, maybe I could boost it?
    Changes in Bold. Not very good at suggesting substitutions, but I can help with movesets, items, and natures.

above rater said like everything that should be changed already, but for Metagross I recommend Ice Punch > RSlide, and Zen Headbutt > Meteor Mash, as Psychic is a better attacking type.
    Give Starmie some extra speed to outspeed Gengar.
    synergy seems good
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    Eon Ticket distributed on December 6th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Groningen, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Breda, Amsterdam and Utrecht
    And then via StreetPass!

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Quote Originally Posted by Cyano View Post

Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Focus Blast
    Grass Knot

Volcarona @ Leftovers
    Moves:
    Flamethrower
    Bug Buzz
    Quiver Dance
    Roost

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Moves:
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute
    Pain Split
    Now, if someone tricks gengar that is not poison type, will take damage.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Moves:
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid Spin

Breloom @Toxic Orb
    Nature: Jolly / Adamant
    Moves:
    Bullet Seed
    Mach Punch
    Swords Dance
    Spore

Metagross @Leftovers
    Moves:
    Zen Headbutt
    Earthquake
    Bullet Punch
    ThunderPunch

Changes and rates in bold. I really hope I helped.

Omega - 1/1/13

Well everything has been said, but I would changed Starmies EVs to: 4 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed. This allows you to get the jump on the Lat@is, and Gengar, any of whom can do some major damage to your team.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Thanks for that. I changed my team to this.

Moves:
    Thunderbolt
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Focus Blast
    Volt Switch

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Moves:
    Flamethrower
    Bug Buzz
    Quiver Dance
    Roost

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Moves:
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Substitute
    Pain Split

I don’t think I need black sludge because to recover I can just use pain split but I might need it in case I don’t have time to use pain split and I need to attack.

Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 46 Hp /252 SpAttack /216 Speed
    Moves:
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rapid Spin

Latios and Latias have a maximum speed of 350 and Gengar has a maximum speed of 349. With 216 speed EVs, Starmie has a speed of 352.

Breloom @Toxic Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    Moves:
    Bullet Seed
    Mach Punch
    Swords Dance
    Spore

I think Breloom needs Jolly nature more so that it can do things before it faints. I think I can make up for not having Adamant nature because I have swords dance.

Metagross @Leftovers
    Moves:
    Zen Headbutt/Hammer arm
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    ThunderPunch

If someone could answer these questions that would be great:
    What is better, Zen headbutt or Hammer arm?
    Should I swap Breloom for Virizion?
    My Pokemon Online username is Oxydawn. If I battle you, feel free to talk to me.

Probably Zen Headbutt for a STAB move as EQ already takes out steels and rock types. I am a little curious as why you didn't opt for Meteor Mash over T-Punch/Rock Slide as you're basically hitting flying types and like Gyarados with Punch while I guess Volcorana with Rock Slide but powerful STAB that can boost attack seems hard to pass up IMO.