I started work ona fic a year ago, but then stopped once school started getting busy. However I stumbled upon it again last night, and I was impressed with myself and found it quite interesting. So I've decided to start it up again. However, there's one slight problem with what I'd written up to that point...

Hidden Machines.

The reason it is there is because the main character meets this other character who needs to get to a certain underwater cave, but he can't because none of his Pokemon know the move Dive. So the main character, who has the HM, agrees to let him use it as long as the other character takes the main character with him. This gets the ball rolling with the story.

Now I was reading back over it, and it seemed a bit funky to me. The way I have the HM being used is that it's like a CD but thicker and with a few buttons on top, and, like in the little animations in FireRed and LeafGreen, the device is put onto the Pokemon's head, it glows, and the Pokemon learns the move.

That just seems a bit weird to me, especially with a move like Dive, which simply means that the Pokemon swims underwater (which it should already be able to do). Then that causes problems because they don't know the move Surf, so how are they even swimming at all?

Do you have any suggestions for this? Should I keep it with the HM or devise some other reason that the other character needs the main character's help? Thanks!