Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't Misty and Iris get a Pokedex?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Coordinators don't compete in leagues and they got Pokedex's.
    It's not about what they do, its about how much of a n00b said person is.

So....I vouch for the thread to be renamed "why do some main characters have a Pokedex while others don't? ". Anyways, I recall officer Jenny mentioning that your Pokedex is your trainer ID so there's really no reason not to have one. If you battle using a Pokemon, then you have to be an actual trainer (or have a jr. trainer license if you are under 10). Its possible that they did have regular ID cards and that some characters simply chose to carry those instead. Unfortunately, the only true explanation is that the writers for whatever reason wanted to have 2 people using Pokedexes from AG through DP.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Because they weren't badge hunters like Ash?

Because they didn't get a starter Pokémon from a Professor.

Coordinators don't compete in leagues and they got Pokedex's.
    Thats what I mean. Trains who get pokemon from the prof and go for a competition get the dexes. I view a contest journey the same as a league journey since they both gather badges/ribbons to compete in a larger bash.

I would assume that some trainers don't see or feel the need to whip out their PokeDexes to scan each and every Pokemon they see. That and it would be boring if every single trainer out there whipped out their pokedex every single time..

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

I don't understand why this matters. Like people previously said, they weren't starters like May and Dawn. They didn't start from a professor or an authorized nurse joy.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Because they never got stater Pokemon from the prof oak/junipher thus them not giving them five pokéballs and a pokedex
    (if u remember dawn and may got pokedexs and starters)

Because May and Dawn are playable characters that you can modifiy and play as in the games they star in and get a Pokedex the same way they get starters in the game. The anime just added that feature to the girls when they started out to further point out they are playable/important characters in the Pokeverse. Misty and Iris do not have the same features in the game and are treated differently then May and Dawn. The Coordinators even got multiple starters. 3 for May and 2 for Dawn which is also different then Misty and Iris. Please don't mention Brock's Mudkip. In the games May and Dawn have Pokedexs whether you play as them or not. In the games Misty and Iris are Gym Leaders that don't need them. The anime stuck with that.

By the way, Misty didn't need one in OS. Ash was the Pokedex button masher in the old days. May and Dawn usually served as Pokedexing old Pokemon that had already been seen but were new to them/new audience members who didn't watch OS. Dawn took this to the extreme and dexed everything that moved XD
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Hey at least we know in DP ash never had to do something as stupid as dexing a Koffing. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post

If you get your First Pokemon from a Professor or Authorized Nurse Joy you get a Pokedex.

If you get your First Pokemon from any other source you do not get a Pokedex.
    I agree with this. Plus Misty and Iris aren't beginner trainers like May and Dawn were.
    Owner of the Dawn/Hikari Fanclub v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Hey at least we know in DP ash never had to do something as stupid as dexing a Koffing. -.-
    Why not? That was the first time he scanned it.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    It was for the kids not Ash....It shocks me on how stupid some of the fanbase is and complains about this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DawnBoy View Post
    I agree with this. Plus Misty and Iris aren't beginner trainers like May and Dawn were.
    So? There are pokemon that even they didn't know about at first, so don't make it like their perfectionists or anything. Besides, Ash still holds his pokedex and he is supposed to be experienced too.

My ideal battle ever!

Misty and Iris didn't get their first Pokemon from a lab, they just had a Pokemon, and went on a journey with it. Notice that they didn't actually have a starter Pokemon? They didn't have a reason why they didn't have an official starter either, like Ash did.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    She probably got her first Pokemon from a Professor? We only know three of the Pokemon she has, so we can't exactly say she doesn't have a starter..
    Heck, with that logic, we'd have to question why Ash had a Dex pre-Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, as he didn't have a 'starter.'
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Well dawn and may had just started their journeys as trainers, which is when you get a pokedex. Iris and misty had at least some experience to start with, so maybe they don't have one or don't use them. Considering iris's background im not surprised she doesn't have one.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Why the hell does this even matter because starting another potential "female protagonist" war? Brock, Cilan, and Tracey didn't get Pokedexes either. It's not like the Pokedex is a special tool, item, and weapon in Pokemon Adventures, it's just something to check the data of Pokemon with for 15 seconds every episodes. Iris didn't get her Pokemon from a professor and Misty most likely didn't either, nor are either playable characters. Georgia did probably get her Cubchoo from a professor, Cedric Juniper I'm guessing.

Naturally, Pokédex are used to help the Professor of the region who needs to collect some informations of the Pokémon and study them. It's not a toy. So the professor is offering one to the trainers that are sure to go in a journey to help their researches. May and Dawn received one because they've choose a starter under the eyes of the professor.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Duh, it's because they aren't official trainers. Official meaning that they have received a starter Pokemon from an authorized dealer like the regional Professor or Nurse Joy.

Concerning Misty's first Pokemon, I think we were just supposed to assume that she grew up around all those Pokemon at the Cerulean Gym and bonded with them all. It does seem that Staryu has bonded with her more than her others. Heck, they even made it stronger than Starmie.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmccaskill View Post
    Concerning Misty's first Pokemon, I think we were just supposed to assume that she grew up around all those Pokemon at the Cerulean Gym and bonded with them all. It does seem that Staryu has bonded with her more than her others. Heck, they even made it stronger than Starmie.
    Probably true. Staryu was likely her first pokemon anyway.

Probably true. Staryu was likely her first pokemon anyway.
    I'm thinking she got a Staryu which she eventually used a Water Stone on to become Starmie, perhaps?

First off, we are assuming that Misty and Iris didn't get Pokedexes. By the time we meet them, they are established trainers somewhat, and have moved to a specific type of pokemon. Like I said earlier, maybe they had a pokedex when they likely first started, but as time went on, they felt that they didn't need one so they left theirs at home.

For that matter, we should also ask why:

AJ ( Kanto)

Casey ( Johto)

Damian ( Kanto)

Daisy, Lily, & Violet

And any other trainers do not have Pokedexes?

Lost my Platinum, so that's not good. On the other hand, I have heartgold and my FC is:

Jimmy

5070 6163 8015

With Misty, I think it was just a matter of the fact that the show was still finding its place, so some things likely weren't fleshed out yet. The production team of the Anime probably just forgot about it, since they were focusing on Ash, and coming up with new ways Team Rocket could pester him each week. As for Iris, she may have gotten one, but just doesn't use it. I'd call it a minor misstep, since it was established early in canon that every Trainer gets one.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast