Thread: Mono Ice and Hail Team

Default Mono Ice and Hail Team

I've been going to Smogon lately, and I've been planning an Ice Type Hail team lately for Random Matchup. I didn't plan this for battling friends yet, so I'll test it for this to see if it's good enough. I don't have White 2, but here's how I'll set it:

Walrein w/ Calm Nature
    Trait: Thick Fat
    Holds: Leftovers
    252 HP/6 Def/252 Sp. Def
    Encore
    Toxic
    Protect/Roar
    Ice Beam/Surf

Spoiler:- Detail on Walrein:

Jynx w/ Timid Nature
    Trait: Forewarn
    Holds: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    252 Sp. Atk/6 Spe/ 252 Sp. Def
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Psychic/Psyshock
    Lovely Kiss/Energy Ball
    Focus Blast

Spoiler:- Detail on Jynx:

Articuno w/ Modest Nature
    Trait: Pressure
    Holds: Life Orb
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spe/6 Spe
    Roost
    HP Ground/Hp Flying
    Substitute
    Ice Beam/Blizzard

Spoiler:- Detail on Articuno:

Mamoswine w/ Jolly Nature
    Holds: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry
    252 Atk/144 HP/112 Spe
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Ice Fang/Superpower/Stone Edge

Spoiler:- Detail on Mamoswine:

Abomasnow w/ Lonely Nature
    Trait: Snow Warning
    Holds: Expert Belt/Leftovers
    252 Atk/114 HP/144 Spe
    Blizzard/Ice Shard
    Wood Hammer
    Leech Seed/Earthquake/Focus Punch/Avalanche
    Substitute

Spoiler:- Detail on Abomasnow:

Froslass w/ Timid Nature
    Trait: Cursed Body
    Holds: Focus Sash/Shadow Tag/Choice Scarf
    252 Sp Atk/144 Spe/112 Sp. Def
    Trick/Taunt/Disable
    Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Psychic
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Shadow Ball

Spoiler:- Detail on Froslass:

So, is this OK with a Mono Ice Team, or do I have to change a few things? I've been doing an old one, and it failed since I tried Rotom and an unbalanced team with Lapras there, but I changed a lot of Pokemon to do the trick.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 25th December 2012 at 8:50 PM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

this is just my obsevation that it may be a little counter-intuitive to have jinx with dry skin it just takes more damage from fire attacks the only perk being water immunity just saying
    Steel is the type of science

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish View Post
    this is just my obsevation that it may be a little counter-intuitive to have jinx with dry skin it just takes more damage from fire attacks the only perk being water immunity just saying
    I'm thinking of changing Dry Skin, thanks for pointing that out.

[*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    I'm thinking of changing Dry Skin, thanks for pointing that out.
    your welcome if you want I can give you pokemon with B/W2 move tutor moves

Alright, I'm back rating teams for a few days, so this is as nice a place to start as any. After all, I love monotype teams.

Personally, I'd go Specs on Jynx. People often overlook how much of a monster Specs Jynx is.

Froslass seems pretty meh to me. Use her as a Spikes lead or don't use her at all, she's not good at anything else except maybe Specs. I'd recommend replacing Froslass with...

Cloyster @ White Herb
    Nature: Jolly
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell

After a single Shell Smash, this thing will absolutely demolish anything not named Skarmory. If you manage 2 Shell Smashes, Skarmory has like a 70% chance of being OHKO'd by Icicle Spear, and nothing else can really handle his attacks. Rock Blast and Razor Shell are for coverage.

Hurricane > Hidden Power on Articuno, and Icicle Crash on Mamoswine in the 4th moveslot.

Actually, I forgot about Hurricane's accuracy drop in Hail, and I also realized you have no spinner. Replace Articuno with Cryogonal so Stealth Rocks doesn't screw you over.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP, 248 Sp. Def, 8 Sp. Atk
    -Rapid Spin
    -Ice Beam / Frost Breath
    -Recover
    -Toxic

Cryogonal is really your only option when it comes to Ice spinners, but he's a great option. His unique typing and ability let him go one on one with most Ghosts and win, except Gengar and Chandelure. Levitate also gives him an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which is a nice bonus. Most people use Ice Beam, but I personally love Frost Breath as it has only 15 less base power and lets him beat defensive boosters like Sigilyph because critical hits ignore defence boosts. Toxic and Recover let him toxic stall threats.

Last edited by Divine Retribution; 25th December 2012 at 9:14 PM.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

10 hour ear orgasm, courtesy of Gamefreak

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Alright, I'm back rating teams for a few days, so this is as nice a place to start as any. After all, I love monotype teams.

Personally, I'd go Specs on Jynx. People often overlook how much of a monster Specs Jynx is.

Froslass seems pretty meh to me. Use her as a Spikes lead or don't use her at all, she's not good at anything else except maybe Specs. I'd recommend replacing Froslass with...

Cloyster @ White Herb
    Nature: Jolly
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell

After a single Shell Smash, this thing will absolutely demolish anything not named Skarmory. If you manage 2 Shell Smashes, Skarmory has like a 70% chance of being OHKO'd by Icicle Spear, and nothing else can really handle his attacks. Rock Blast and Razor Shell are for coverage.

Hurricane > Hidden Power on Articuno, and Icicle Crash on Mamoswine in the 4th moveslot.
    I'll try changing Froslass. Just by thinking of it, she's like Jynx in a way, though Jynx is stronger. And I'll try finding an Articuno that has Hurricane by trade. And how do I get Mamoswine that has Icicle Crash?

Get a male Beartic that knows the move and a female Piloswine or Mamoswine, and breed the two.

Alternatively, if Black Kyurem is an option, you can try out this monster.

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
    Nature: Rash
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 100 Attack, 156 HP
    -Outrage
    -Fusion Bolt
    -Blizzard
    -Hidden Power (Fire)

While it lacks Banded Kyurem-B's wallbreaking prowess or Kyurem-W's special offense, it carries a little bit of both, is legal in OU, and will easily maim any team that isn't prepared for it. Outrage is a devastating physical STAB that will rip through entire teams with ease, while Fusion Bolt slams bulky Waters. Blizzard offers a special STAB with 100% accuracy in Hail, and Hidden Power (Fire) handles his mortal enemies, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

“The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Get a male Beartic that knows the move and a female Piloswine or Mamoswine, and breed the two.

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
    -Outrage
    -Fusion Bolt
    -Blizzard
    -Hidden Power (Fire)

While it lacks Banded Kyurem-B's wallbreaking prowess or Kyurem-W's special offense, it carries a little bit of both, is legal in OU, and will easily maim any team that isn't prepared for it. Outrage is a devastating physical STAB that will rip through entire teams with ease, while Fusion Bolt slams bulky Waters. Blizzard offers a special STAB with 100% accuracy in Hail, and Hidden Power (Fire) handles his mortal enemies, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

If I get White 2, I'll try that. And for Cryogonal, I'll test it out to see if it can work despite the horrible Defense. And thanks for telling me of Crygonal's pros, since it won't deal with Earthquake.

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
    -Outrage
    -Fusion Bolt
    -Blizzard
    -Hidden Power (Fire)

I think this team is for random matchup so no zekrom then

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish View Post
    I think this team is for random matchup so no zekrom then
    Ah, sorry, I was assuming Smogon OU, didn't see the bit about random matchup. I'd still strongly recommend Cryogonal as a spinner, because your team is going to hate switching into Stealth Rocks so much.

~Richard Dawkins

PsyShock doesn't lower the opponent's specail attack... It hits the opponent's physical defense. Lovely Kiss cause sleep, not confusion.

Dunno how that Walrein works for you, I recommend classic Stallrein instead, since in random matchup 32 stalling turns will be enough.

Mamoswine 4th slot --> Icicle Spear, for breaking subs and sashes.

Aboma Adamant nature, never lower your defense, as it already is weak to many priority attacks. Use Ice Shard.

Froslass is too weak for OU. as said before, replace it or make it Spikes lead. Btw Shadow Tag is not a hold item. It's an ability Froslass could never legally get.

Use Blizzard where you slashed Ice Beam/Blizzard

gl with the team ^-^
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    Eon Ticket distributed on December 6th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Groningen, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Breda, Amsterdam and Utrecht
    And then via StreetPass!

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDriver View Post
    PsyShock doesn't lower the opponent's specail attack... It hits the opponent's physical defense. Lovely Kiss cause sleep, not confusion.

Dunno how that Walrein works for you, I recommend classic Stallrein instead, since in random matchup 32 stalling turns will be enough.

Mamoswine 4th slot --> Icicle Spear, for breaking subs and sashes.

Aboma Adamant nature, never lower your defense, as it already is weak to many priority attacks. Use Ice Shard.

Froslass is too weak for OU. as said before, replace it or make it Spikes lead. Btw Shadow Tag is not a hold item. It's an ability Froslass could never legally get.

Use Blizzard where you slashed Ice Beam/Blizzard

gl with the team ^-^
    Did you read the description of Walrein? It's a stall/supporter when it comes with Toxic/Protect. And I'll take it in consideration. And I switched Froslass with Cloyster.

In Black 2 you get Kyurem-B, not White 2.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

I've been going to Smogon lately, and I've been planning an Ice Type Hail team lately for Random Matchup. I didn't plan this for battling friends yet, so I'll test it for this to see if it's good enough. I don't have White 2, but here's how I'll set it:

Walrein w/ Calm Nature
    Holds: Leftovers
    252 HP/6 Def/252 Sp. Def
    Encore
    Toxic
    Protect/Roar
    Ice Beam/Surf

Spoiler:- Detail on Walrein:

Jynx w/ Timid Nature
    Trait: Forewarn
    Holds: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    252 Sp. Atk/6 Spe/ 252 Sp. Def
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Psychic/Psyshock
    Lovely Kiss/Energy Ball
    Focus Blast

Spoiler:- Detail on Jynx:

Articuno w/ Modest Nature
    Trait: Pressure
    Holds: Life Orb Leftovers
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Sp. Def/Def/6 Spe
    Roost
    HP Ground/Hp Flying
    Substitute
    Ice Beam/Blizzard

Looks like your going for a defensive move set so I changed the rest
        Spoiler:- Detail on Articuno:

Mamoswine w/ Jolly Nature
    Holds: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Sitrus Berry
    252 Atk/144 HP/112 Spe
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Stealth Rock
    Ice Fang/Superpower/Stone Edge

Spoiler:- Detail on Mamoswine:

Abomasnow w/ Lonely Nature
    Trait: Snow Warning
    Holds: Expert Belt/Leftovers
    252 Atk/114 HP/144 Spe
    Blizzard/Ice Shard
    Wood Hammer
    Leech Seed/EarthquakeFocus Punch/Avalanche
    Substitute

Spoiler:- Detail on Abomasnow:

Froslass w/ Timid Nature
    Trait: Cursed Body
    Holds: Focus Sash/Shadow Tag/Choice Scarf
    252 Sp Atk/144 Spe/112 Sp. Def
    TrickTaunt/Disable
    Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Psychic
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Shadow Ball

Spoiler:- Detail on Froslass:

So, is this OK with a Mono Ice Team, or do I have to change a few things? I've been doing an old one, and it failed since I tried Rotom and an unbalanced team with Lapras there, but I changed a lot of Pokemon to do the trick.
    Changes and rates in bold. Your team had a lot of choices and I tried to narrow it down for you. I hope I helped you.

Omega - 1/1/13

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstrike18 View Post
    Changes and rates in bold. Your team had a lot of choices and I tried to narrow it down for you. I hope I helped you.
    Ok, so I need to like make some of them as Offense to do the trick, like Abomasnow?

Ok, so I need to like make some of them as Offense to do the trick, like Abomasnow?
    Yeah, I guess so. I'm more of an offensive guy so uh you could but its up to you xD

Omega - 1/1/13

Cryo is essential to any ice mono team as the need for a spinner cannot be emphazied enough. You take 25-50% damage every time you switch with Rocks and with it's massive SpD it can actually take hits from many of the current spinners as most of them are special attackers. Classic Stallrein is fun, fun, fun and pretty effective too. I'd honestly try it out.

Yes. But it lacks in Defense.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but...

Why doesn't Walrein have Ice Body? Thick Fat is virtually worthless on Walrein, whereas an Ice Body Walrein can stall indefinitely in Hail, assuming it has Substitute and Leftovers.
    Last edited by Rebel562; 27th January 2013 at 6:43 PM.
    - The whole Stallrein thing? He does it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel562 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but...

Why doesn't Walrein have Ice Body? Thick Fat is virtually worthless on Walrein, whereas an Ice Body Walrein can stall indefinitely in Hail, assuming it has Substitute and Leftovers.

I might give Ice Body since I tested my Sealeo with it. But Thick Fat is there in case it needs to wall Fire Attacks. So I may get one with Ice Body. I put it there as an idea in case I need to pick one of these two.

Use Ice Body. If your Walrein isn't a Stallrein, it isn't really worth using. Something else will do every other job better.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis