Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 63 of 63

Thread: What do you think about the names the gym leaders were given?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    If we can easily remember the names of 600-700 Pokémon, we can no doubt remember 80 gym leaders and 32 e4's.
    I disagree with you. It is easier to memorise the name of Pokemons than gym leaders and elite four members, though the ammount difference being higher. It's easier because a same Pokemon you can encounter in more than one area, in more than one trainer, in another region, and in another game.You see Pokemons all the time, but gym leaders not. They are encountered less times.

    If I stay one year without playing Pokemon, for example, I may forget the name of half of them. Pokemons and leaders with an important role I wouldn't forget the name (like Pikachu, Ash, Brock, Misty, Mewtwo, all the starters, Meowth, Elite Four Bruno, Blue, plot legendaries, and a special minority like Lucario, Yanma, Miltank.)

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    I agree with you. But if we reach 10 generations - around 80 gym leaders and 32 elite four members - it's gonna be rather hard to memorise all their names, though being related to the type they use.
    The ease of remembering their names may go down, but it's inarguable that having the names being related to their theme or type (most of them, anyway) serves as a memory aid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    I disagree with you. It is easier to memorise the name of Pokemons than gym leaders and elite four members, though the ammount difference being higher. It's easier because a same Pokemon you can encounter in more than one area, in more than one trainer, in another region, and in another game.You see Pokemons all the time, but gym leaders not. They are encountered less times.

    If I stay one year without playing Pokemon, for example, I may forget the name of half of them. Pokemons and leaders with an important role I wouldn't forget the name (like Pikachu, Ash, Brock, Misty, Mewtwo, all the starters, Meowth, Elite Four Bruno, Blue, plot legendaries, and a special minority like Lucario, Yanma, Miltank.)
    You mention that you wouldn't forget the names of people with important roles. What makes the gym leaders of the tenth generation have less important of a role than first-generation gym leaders?

    And besides, even if you don't encounter a gym leader that many times throughout the game, they're still central to the plot of the story and are analogous to, say, Lyra, Professor Birch, Team Magma, and Cheren.
    Last edited by Wishing Star; 27th December 2012 at 10:03 PM.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arcanum, Ohio
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstrike18 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the parents were the old gym leaders. Then, they new the children had to take their spot when they got older so they made the names similair to the typing.
    I don't think that's true. If Byron wanted to keep the Steel Gym thing going, why did he name his son Roark?

    Honestly, I like having the Gym Leader names match their types. And, maybe they also make aliases to suit the gym....
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

    FC: 5129-0492-5213

    LOOKING FOR: Modest, 4/5 IV from Alpha Sapphire
    PM me for offers!! PLEASE!!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstrike18 View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, the parents were the old gym leaders. Then, they new the children had to take their spot when they got older so they made the names similair to the typing.
    It's quite unlikely that each current gym leader has parents who used to be gym leaders themselves.

    It's even less likely that the parents would have given their child a name that fit the theme or type their gym had, and even less likely that they would force their child to become a gym leader.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azran Flame View Post
    Themed names are easier to memorise. If all the Gym Leaders had normal names like "Jonathan" and "Tess", people wouldn't be able to recognise them as easily, or be able to associate them with their typing of choice. An Electric-Type Gym Leader called Elesa would be more memorable than an Electric-Type Gym Leader named Alicia.
    Tess would actually be a good name for an Electric-type specialist. From tesla.

    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Tess would actually be a good name for an Electric-type specialist. From tesla.
    Or Ernest for a Flying-type gym leader. (:





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jubilife City, Sinnoh
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoPi View Post
    Actually Greek for earth would be γη (like gay) so that doesn't really work.
    What about geography?

    I believe that they all (or most of them) use stage names. Heaps of celebrities do it, so aren't gym leaders and elite 4's like the celebrities of the Pokémon world?
    Last edited by PKMN TRAINER Oliver; 28th December 2012 at 9:10 PM. Reason: I wanted to add more without double-posting.


    Magikarp used splash! It's a one-hit KO!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PKMN TRAINER Oliver View Post
    What about geography?

    I believe that they all (or most of them) use stage names. Heaps of celebrities do it, so aren't gym leaders and elite 4's like the celebrities of the Pokémon world?
    Yes, "Gio" can be a corruption of "Geo" from "Geography".

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Still think Skyla should've been called Skylar. Made a lot more sense at the time. Also, for some weird reason, I thought Elesa was going to be named Camille (I guess I thought it meant yellow in some language). Though, most other names make SOME sense, the overall naming for gen 5 was iffy (Marlon or TIDUS? Burgh or ARTY?) and their logic was list on me.

    Thank you based Turpoo

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    6,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    I admit that gym leaders and Elite Four members name are cool, but we're not here to discuss where their names are derived from. I wanted somebody to explain the following excerpt:

    If the name is given right at the moment the person is being born, how can his/her mother or father relate its name to a type of Pokemon?
    When Skyla were named Skyla, did her mother/father predict that she was going to have preference on flying types?
    And if she had decided to become a gym leader that uses fire Pokemons?


    This is the point of the thread.
    No one can explain. Period.
    For all we know, the names were obviously given to represent the type of their Pokemon.

    .: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  11. #61
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu725 View Post
    Still think Skyla should've been called Skylar. Made a lot more sense at the time. Also, for some weird reason, I thought Elesa was going to be named Camille (I guess I thought it meant yellow in some language). Though, most other names make SOME sense, the overall naming for gen 5 was iffy (Marlon or TIDUS? Burgh or ARTY?) and their logic was list on me.
    Marlon sounds better than Tidus.

    But I still like with what people guessed back in the time, it should have been Finn.

    It would be a reference both to fish fins and to him being the last leader, "fin" meaning "end" in some languages.

    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    If the name is given right at the moment the person is being born, how can his/her mother or father relate its name to a type of Pokemon?
    When Skyla were named Skyla, did her mother/father predict that she was going to have preference on flying types?
    You my friend are going way too in depth with this. I'm just throwing this out there but I don't think GameFreak has the life stories incorporated for each Gym Leader.

    Credit to zhanton
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    omg Larry is on! i can now sleep in peace knowing he is ok!

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    6

    Default

    whoa hold on a sec some dragons have horns which are shaped like lances (medival weapons used in jousts) so i just poked a hole in your logic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •