Thread: Is soft resetting for shinies in Gen II even possible?

Hybrid View

Default Is soft resetting for shinies in Gen II even possible?

Cause on my Silver, I am currently SR for a sudowoodo, I already did 973 and I am doing it at this moment.

Did I do it for nothing?

I think you still can, because otherwise how in the world do we know every single Pokémon has a shiny form? Someone had to have gotten lucky enough to find it, and told everyone else, and someone discovered soft resetting, and found that it works. If it works for gender in starter Pokémon, I don't see how it can't work for wild Pokémon like Sudowoodo when it comes to getting a shiny.

It'll just take a lot of soft resets before you finally do get its shiny version, of course. You have a 1 in 8192 chance in finding a shiny. Though I did find this interesting thing from Bulbapedia:

"Shininess is inherent to an individual Pokémon; that is, a Pokémon that starts out Shiny will always be Shiny, and one that is not will never be (provided its data is not altered through cheating)."

So... I guess it's a no. It probably just depended on the version you got, from what I'm guessing, but a shiny Sudowoodo does exist. Think you'll just have to breed it for one.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by RegisteelX View Post
    Cause on my Silver, I am currently SR for a sudowoodo, I already did 973 and I am doing it at this moment.

Did I do it for nothing?
    No, you can soft reset for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I think you still can, because otherwise how in the world do we know every single Pokémon has a shiny form? Someone had to have gotten lucky enough to find it, and told everyone else, and someone discovered soft resetting, and found that it works. If it works for gender in starter Pokémon, I don't see how it can't work for wild Pokémon like Sudowoodo when it comes to getting a shiny.
    Untrue. The reason we know what we do is because we've extracted the data from the games themselves.

It'll just take a lot of soft resets before you finally do get its shiny version, of course. You have a 1 in 8192 chance in finding a shiny. Though I did find this interesting thing from Bulbapedia:

"Shininess is inherent to an individual Pokémon; that is, a Pokémon that starts out Shiny will always be Shiny, and one that is not will never be (provided its data is not altered through cheating)."

So... I guess it's a no. It probably just depended on the version you got, from what I'm guessing, but a shiny Sudowoodo does exist. Think you'll just have to breed it for one.
    You're misunderstanding. All that is saying is you cannot change a shiny Pokemon into a regular Pokemon or a non-shiny Pokemon into a shiny Pokemon. Once it's generated it stays that way. It does not mean soft resetting doesn't work.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |