Thread: When it Rains it Pours Like Summer Storms

Default When it Rains it Pours Like Summer Storms

When it rains it pours
    Like summer storms, the skies as grey as these.
    The rivers flood the banks and spill into the streets.
    But the people laughed and swore that they'd restore
    The city piece by piece.
    And then the clouds gave way as if to agree;
    When it rains it pours.

(A cookie to anyone who can tell me what song those lyrics are from!)

So, alongside my Monotype project and a collaborative team, I've got a few side projects in the making. One is a Double Weather team that'll also be here at some point, but that's still a work in progress. I haven't even picked my two setters yet, actually. This was the other one, Uber Rain. I really love Rain, both in real life and in Pokemon and OU Rain was my first 5th-gen team. Now, I'm moving it up to Ubers. In its inaugural battle, it won 4-0 in 12 moves and it's done quite well since. BUT. It can be better. That, my fellow forumites, is why I'm asking you to look over it! (As if that wasn't completely obvious xD) So. ONWARD WE GO!

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Water Spout
    - Thunder
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

The original Drizzler returns just as powerful as it left. With a Scarf, Kyogre's Base 90 Spe stat, fairly average in Ubers, outpaces every unboosted Pokemon in the tier bar Deoxys-S, which isn't a threat to the giant whale anyway. The EVs are a pretty standard Special attacker's spread, with a Timid nature to outspeed (or at the worst, speed tie) Dialga and other Base 90 Scarfers. Water Spout is my STAB move of choice and it brutally murders everything that doesn't resist it. 150 Base Power + STAB + Rain + 399 SpA = devastation on par with that in the movie 2012 (now in the Comedy section at your local movie stores). Thunder gets perfect accuracy in the rain and, as I've learned, has a chance to break Protects. I believe it's 50% for Thunder, or maybe 30%, but either way it's a (situational) plus. Ice Beam forms the infamous Bolt Beam combination resisted by not a single Uber. In fact, I'm fairly sure Lanturn is all that resists it at all. Surf is for when my HP falls, as it provides consistent and accurate damage. While 2 STABs is generally best avoided on single-type Pokemon, with Water Spout's mechanics it's good to have stable damage.

Dialga @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 SAtk / 200 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunder

Dialga gives me some nice defensive presence. Its typing is fantastic, leaving it with weaknesses to only Ground and Fighting, both of which conveniently covered by Giratina. It also brings Stealth Rock, which is a fantastic move in all tiers, and a very respectable SpA score of 385, which I'll take any day. Draco Meteor punches holes in everything, also 2012-style. It OHKOs Palkia and Reshiram always, which is always great. It also hammers Groudon. Fire Blast may seem counterintuitive in the Rain but it still 2HKOs Ferrothorn and in the sun 2HKOs most Groudon. Thunder is here for Rain abuse and because it's generally awesome. I also already have Phazing present so I didn't see it necessary twice. This isn't a spikestacking team (it can stack, but that isn't a focus. It's mostly just helpful). It checks opposing Kyogre and rain teams in general. Dialga also gets great synergy with the rain, as do all Steel-types. It isn't naturally weak though so the rain effectively gives it an extra resistance.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SpD
    Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn is here for the same reason I so often use it: Support. Spikes throws down another hazard, which is tremendously helpful to my attackers. Thunder Wave further supports the entire team by quartering Spe of anything not Ground or Electric-type which means everything I have except probably Ferrothorn will outrun it. Leech Seed is for stallbreaking and providing Ferrothorn with recovery which it loves. Power Whip is the only attack I ever run with Ferro. It wallops other Weather leads, that's more or less it's one job. And by that, I mean Groudon and Kyogre. This is more or less the same set I always run, but with an EV spread tailored to the Uber tier. It's designed to maximize Special bulk while still being able to one-shot 252-HP Arceus subs that don't resist it.

Arceus-Electric @ Zap Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunder
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover

The Creator descends upon the soaked battlefield, smiting all those who dare defy Him with STAB perfect-accuracy Thunders and unleashing the power of Fimbulvetr on all who would resist. Calm Mind is His boosting move, used to boost His SpA to titanic levels befitting of the Creator of all things Pokemon. Thunder is His wrath manifested, all of His tremendous power poured into one colossal bolt. He knows the benefits bestowed upon it by the rain and takes full advantage of these terrifying boons. And of course, He has access to the frightening BoltBeam combination as well (and why shouldn't He? He created it), and with an Ice Beam drawing power from the legendary Fimbulvetr lays waste to Dragons and Ground-spawn that would forsake Him. His immortality takes the form of Recover, with which He can endure eternally. He is.... Arceus. Defy Him at your peril.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
    Lonely Nature (+SpA, -Def)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Tail
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Earthquake

Giratina-O is a fantastic offensive spinblocker It's got excellent Base 120 attacking stats and the Griseous Orb backing its STABs and solid typing. It also retains Giratina's spectacular Base 150 HP stat, making it an excellent bulky attacker. Draco Meteor exists to rain utter devastation upon the heads of everything ever that is not Steel-type. Dragon Tail phazes and gets STAB, although phazing is the main reason for it. It spreads hazard damage and removes annoying boosts. Shadow Sneak gets priority and lets Giratina-O function as a revenge killer. Earthquake is used in the last slot primarily for opposing Dialga, but it also hammers things like Excadrill and Tentacruel that are often used in Ubers.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    -Draco Meteor
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunder
    -Spacial Rend

Manaphy was pretty good but anything physical that could come in while it was setting up gave me fits. So I brought in the lord of Space itself, Palkia, per justin's suggestion. I did not regret it. Palkia is vicious. Palkia rips holes in many, many things. Palkia's Draco Meteor adds to the sheer destruction so many in this team contribute to. Arceus with its Thunder, Dialga's Draco Meteor, Kyogre's Water Spout, Giratina-O's Draco Meteor... Hydro Pump also gets STAB and washes away anything that doesn't resist, especially with Rain up. I'm using it over Surf for the power. I really don't mind slightly lower accuracy. Thunder is for rain abuse and erasing opposing water-types from existence. Spacial Rend.... tears holes in space itself. It's here for when I need to pound on things with Dragon-type devastation without losing SpA and having to switch. Palkia is pimarily a revenge killer but it can punch through unbalanced teams beautifully with a bit of prediction.

When it rains it pours,
    When they die we mourn,
    When it hit, we swore,
    That we would not mourn.
    Like a saint reborn,
    Like a rose's thorn,
    Like a child un-born,
    A child un-born...
    Last edited by loco1234; 31st December 2012 at 7:23 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

O.O Very solid team lol. There are a few nitpicks here and there, but it really doesn't matter if you actually use the suggestions lol
    Scarfed Palkia > Manaphy
    Scarfed Palkia is a monstrous revenge killer, practically outspeeding everything in the meta game besides Deo-S.

Palkia@Choice Scarf
    EVS: 252 Speed / 252 Sp Atk / 4 Sp Def
    Timid/Modest
    Ability: Pressure
    -Draco Meteor
    -Surf/Hydro Pump
    -Thunder
    -Spacial Rend/Aura Sphere
    Pretty straightforward set, nothing really hard to understand. Draco Meteor coming off of a base 150 Sp Atk really hurts, losing only to Kyurem W. Hydro Pump is to abuse the rain and coupled with STAB, rips through everything not named Blissey or Chansey. Surf can be used over hydro pump if you're paranoid bout the accuracy. The power decrease is noticeable, though. Thunder is your Kyogre counter and deals nicely with Lugia. The 30% chance of paralysis doesn't hurt, either. Spacial Rend is there to use if you don't want to switch out after using Draco Meteor. Aura Sphere can be used over Spaciel Rend to deal with Dialga, but it usually won't OHKO, and you'll be OHKOed with the latters Draco Meteor.

hope this helped!
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 28th December 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Hm, Manaphy's need to set up, physical weakness and general lack of coverage does get annoying. I'll give that Palkia a try, thanks!
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Bump. I could use some more feedback.

Playing ubers right now so I'll get back to you when I figure out Ubers a bit more.

Cool, very much appreciated.

On Ps as Atrocious if you wanna battle and test it there.

Alright, done with my Ubers experiment. I see CM Ghostceus destroying this team especially if your Arceus is gone. Sure Giratina can phaze it but not before it takes heavy damage from a +1 or +2 Judgment. I'd add Toxic or something on someone but it's hard to find a moveslot anywhere, maybe a Stallbreaker can swap out for ehh, idk. Can't really suggest anything although I can try to identify threats. Blissey and Chansey wall this team for days on end as your best damage output to them is either boosted Thunder or Power Whip from Ferrothorn while they can just proceed to Toxic almost your entire team while not doing much back.