Thread: First Attempt At A Rain Team

Threaded View

Default First Attempt At A Rain Team

Hello smogon forums. I have decided to go beyond my realm of team building and run my very first Rain team. I am pretty sure it is going to have some flaws considering the aforementioned fact, but I hope to use some constructive criticism. I honestly don't know what to look for, because whenever I test my teams, even after doing so, I could never figure out what changes I should make. With that being said, I hope you guys will help me out with my uncharted territory of weather teams. Anyway, enough of the introduction, here's my team!

Team Building Process

Spoiler:- spoiler:

A Closer Look..

Politoed @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Moves:
    Hydro Pump
    Focus Blast
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power [Grass]

Ah, the source of eternal rain, here to bless my Pokemon with its presence. I decided to go with SpecsToed for more offensive prowess. Hydro Pump is the STAB of choice, as I'd much rather KO an opponent's Pokemon than regret having Surf not finish the job. The 80% accuracy doesn't bother me. Anyway, it is insane in the rain. To show you how much power Hydro Pump has, in a sandstorm against support Tyranitar, it does an insane 59.9% - 71.29%, a guaranteed 2HKO. Focus Blast is a more reliable means of handling most Tyranitar, who is OHKOed. Support Tyranitar has a small chance of being OHKOed with SR up. Ice Beam helps against most OU dragons, who are OHKOed (only the bulkiest Dragonites survive, but take over half damage after SR damage). Hidden Power Grass does a number on Gastrodon. With the suggestion by Mosquiton, I switched the Speed and HP EVs around. With 252 Spe, I outspeed and deal with Breloom, CBNite, Scizor and Mamoswine. I am debating whether or not to use Surf instead of HP Grass, for reliability against weakened foes. Any ideas?

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
    Moves:
    Hurricane
    Superpower
    U-Turn
    Taunt

Meet the main rain sweeper of my team. This thing is a beast under the rain. Hurricane is mainly STAB, which hurts a majority of the metagame, even some things that resist it. I chose Superpower over Focus Blast because my whole team is pretty lacking in the physical department and I want to hurt Blissey harder so it doesn't wall me. U-Turn has great synergy with Regenerator. Incase I have SR on my field and my Rapid Spinner is dead, Regenerator mitigates the damage. Taunt is to shut down Deo-D leads from setting up on me.

Thundurus-T @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Moves:
    Thunder
    Agility
    Hidden Power [Ice]
    Grass Knot/Focus Blast

Behold the thunder god of chaos. This monster has the highest SpA of all Electric types. Thunder is STAB, allowing me to hurt most things that aren't resistant to it. Another one of Mosquiton's suggestion was to replace Volt Switch with Agility. Volt Switch is not always ideal on Thundurus-T due to reason mentioned in the Thundurus-T analysis. Agility allows me to sweep late-game. HP Ice allows me to 2HKO Dragonite through Multiscale and OHKO all other OU Dragons. Grass Knot is to nail Gastrodon and Hippowdon. However, I could use Focus Blast to hit Ferrothorn and Magnezone. Any ideas on which one I should use? I mentioned under Politoed's explanation that Mamoswine is pretty threatening to my team, so I changed the item to Yache Berry, again, as suggested by Mosquiton.

Starmie @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Moves:
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Thunder
    Rapid Spin

Here's my Spinner, one of the most reliable in OU under the rain. This is because he has an offensive presence as well with his great SpA, as well as decent defenses. Rapid Spin is self explanitory. Hydro Pump serves as his STAB, and I prefer power over accuracy. Ice Beam hits dragons and the grass types. However, Ferrothorn completely walls this set. Thunder hits pretty hard the many Bulky Water types lurking in OU, even the most Specially Defensive of Jellicent, who are 2HKOed.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
    IVs: 2 Spe (for HP Ice)
    Moves:
    Stealth Rock
    Gyro Ball
    Earthquake
    Hidden Power [Ice]

As suggested by Mosquiton, I have changed Metagross to Bronzong after testing out his changes (don't worry, I tested everyone's changes out but I found his to work the best for me). Stealth Rock is required for almost every team, so it's a given. Gyro Ball allows me to deal with threatening Pokemon such as Terrakion, Kyurem-B, etc. Earthquake handles Jirachi, Heatran, and Magnezone. HP Ice is for Dragons who think they can take me on as well as Landorus. I made him specially defensive so he can tank Hurricanes from Tornadus-T and go for the KO with Gyro Ball.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Moves:
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    X-Scissor
    Rock Slide

Thanks to his awesome coverage and offensive stats, he makes a great revenge killer and late-game sweeper. Close Combat and Stone Edge serve as STAB, hitting everything commonly seen in OU super effectively (trivia: the only two Pokemon who resist his STAB are Medicham and Gallade). X-Scissor allows it to damage Psychic types. Rock Slide is for those times I need to reliably take down a Pokemon. EVs maximize his cleaning potential. He is the most dispensable member of my team, so please suggest changes for him.
    Conclusion
    Here is my team. Please critique it as best as possible. I really want to get better at making Rain Teams. Thanks!
    Last edited by azeem40; 4th January 2013 at 6:54 AM.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.