Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where does Pokémon stand as your favorite anime?

Default Where does Pokémon stand as your favorite anime?

Remake of one of my old threads, but more fleshed out. You can have negative opinions, but no bashing. You can also feel free to break it down to individual sagas.

For me, Pokémon is among the top, it has good music, good characters that are not cliche anime stereotypes, humor (it ain't Animaniacs, but it's funny), and doesn't have stupid, ridiculous deus ex machina after stupid DEM, and doesn't take itself too seriously. The only anime for me that beat Pokémon at its best are YYH and Rurouni Kenshin.

If Pokémon isn't one of your favorites, what aspects do you think it beats other anime in?

BONUS QUESTION: For those who don't like at least one of the sagas, where would you rank each other one? (Can include Kanto, OI, Johto, Hoenn, etc.)
    Last edited by Brownie; 30th December 2012 at 12:43 AM.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

Doesn't even register as a blip on the radar for me anymore. Best Wishes effectively killed any interest I had left in the series.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Its the only anime I watch....
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

LOOKING FOR: Modest, 4/5 IV from Alpha Sapphire
    PM me for offers!! PLEASE!!

Pretty low, but it's good enough to make me avoid watching the new Beyblade.

And even then, The Legend of Korra is the top anime I have ever watched (despite the awful ending), yet it's an Americanized anime!

It's been dead last on my favorites list ever since Best Wishes started. The writing and the action for this series has been a huge let down for me. I prefer anime that are written well and have lots of intense action in it like Naruto and DBZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Nostalgic-wise, it's up there. But as I haven't watched the anime all the way since the end of Hoenn, and I have found much better anime in that time frame, it's really low on my list to date. While it's my least favorite nor do I completely hate the anime, I wouldn't watch it unless I really want to return to my childhood for a half-hour or so. Or just for the laughs, since the 4KIDS dub had fun with the writing... in a way. At least with Team Rocket's characters. They were probably the reason why we watched the anime for as long as we have, they're really fun characters.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Roll Tier, but I watch it anyway out of habit.

I don't know why but it's still my favorite anime for some reason (Maybe because of the characters and it's movies) I do think Best wishes is my least favorite saga and have hopes that the next saga will be better as I hope for!

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

To those who ranked it low because of BW (or a newer saga), where would you place the older sagas?
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    doesn't have stupid, ridiculous deus ex machina after stupid DEM
    Yes it does. That is how Pokémon typically evolve - not through training, but through miraculous Arceus-given strength at a convenient moment.

And really, my appreciation for the show has gone rock bottom, honestly. Every episode is mostly the same, every movie is mostly the same, little effort is put into the writing and the whole thing is made for one reason: to sell toys.

Hell, even Transformers and My Little Pony are trying to appeal to fans both old and new and have shows that have decent writing. Pokémon? Focus only on kids, pretend everyone else never existed, don't try making a good story, just write anything and here comes the moolah!
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

It's not as bad as in other anime, I heard the DEM gets much worse later on (I'm on a Master Quest).

Out of curiosity, what does DEM stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does DEM stand for?
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Deus Ex Machina
    Oh, I should've known.

It's the only anime I watch.. but then that's only out of habit after growing up with it in my life since the age of six.. But anime as a whole is complete garbage, especially that Dinosaur King crap that keeps popping up on my tv before Pokemon. I've tried watching Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon and many others out if curiosity and felt like killing myself after five minutes, promptly turning it off and watching something that takes a bit of talent to make instead.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Yes it does. That is how Pokémon typically evolve - not through training, but through miraculous Arceus-given strength at a convenient moment.

And really, my appreciation for the show has gone rock bottom, honestly. Every episode is mostly the same, every movie is mostly the same, little effort is put into the writing and the whole thing is made for one reason: to sell toys.

Hell, even Transformers and My Little Pony are trying to appeal to fans both old and new and have shows that have decent writing. Pokémon? Focus only on kids, pretend everyone else never existed, don't try making a good story, just write anything and here comes the moolah!
    Congratulations, you are doing it right. It is really disappointing that this is all we have...the B2/W2 anime preview was good imo, but instead we get a little 10 year old DEMing episode-after-episode.
    Last edited by SapphSabre777; 29th December 2012 at 8:57 PM.

Focus only on kids, pretend everyone else never existed, don't try making a good story, just write anything and here comes the moolah!
    Summed it up beautifully. It's a truly terrible show.

Welp, so much for not bashing.

I have no idea where Pokemon lies compared to the other animes I watch because I don't really bother to rank things like that, but it's up there somewhere. It's definitely not a masterpiece of a show, but it's a lot better than certain sectors in the fandom make it out to be, and it has quite a few charms. For one, it's pretty much the only Pokemon adaptation that actually looks at how Pokemon and humans live together aside from training and battling, and it comes up with some fairly interesting ideas and stories in the process. Not to mention it's just plain heartwarming and funny and cute.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

It doesn't really rank anywhere really, my interest died in the third generation. But even as I continued, there were rehashes and boring fillers which really didn't interest me in the slightest. Now, I just watch it as a hobby and to grade the episodes in their respective threads.
    Last edited by Blessed; 31st December 2012 at 5:01 AM.

It was actually my favorite anime, when 4Kids was dubbing it that is (aka the first eight seasons of the English dub). When TPCi took over, I was less than enthused... and outraged to say the least. Eventually, however, I've gotten used to TPCi's style of dubbing as well. True, the anime has so many various flaws, but it's a nice show and has a lot of good qualities for all the crap it has as well. I do wish the dub had: 1) retained the original dub voice actors and 2) those who had made those music albums and the intros/endings. As for the show: 1) it would completely reboot and Ash and TRio would leave, 2) characters would be replaced only when necessary, and such, but Pokemon also teaches you one important thing: that you must accept change for what it is. You may not like it, but you have to adapt to different circumstances. I have a lot of friends who like OS, AG, DP, and BW, and like the current seasons better as well. However, I also have many friends who like the older seasons more.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th December 2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Pokemon also teaches you one important thing: that you must accept change for what it is. You may not like it, but you have to adapt to different circumstances.
    Ironic, considering the formula of an episode/season practically NEVER changes.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

He was talking about the voice actors.

True, the anime itself is considered very repetitive and stale these days and clearly many ideas have been recycled, but much has changed. For example, several characters have been replaced and new ones brought in to take their place. Furthermore, key elements and personalities have been changed along the way. From Ash's maturation in AG/DP to his regression in BW, and TRio's serious nature in BW as opposed to their more goofy personas in OS, AG, and DP. Not to mention the replacement of the original dub voice actors, writers, musicians, and so forth after Advanced Battle (3/4 of the way through AG).

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    He was talking about the voice actors.
    Yes, but also in regards to the replacement of characters, the writing style has also changed somewhat, and the introduction of new faces to the Pokemon anime. Whether all of these changes are for better or worse are purely subjective, though. I mean, several people like the idea while several others hate it as well.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 29th December 2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

It's the only anime that's kept me interested this far.

I've watched other shows in the past, but nothing really compares in my book.

For those who didn't like at least one of the sagas, where would you rank each other one in comparison to other anime? (From Kanto to Unova, you can include any one.)
    Last edited by Brownie; 30th December 2012 at 2:00 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast