Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Choice Scarf the best item in the game?

The reason why the Choice Scarf is so helpful is that it gives a Pokemon a chance to sweep. It's helpful. Beyond that, I'd actually say it was useless. Here are so many Pokemon who don't use or just straight up find it useless (like Scizor mentioned above) that it is easily not the best item in the game.
    Plus only being able to use one move sucks.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Choice scarf is definitely not the best item in the game, but one of the greatest.
    Its so good because say a pokemon that is faster then all your pokemon is sweeping.
    Then you can get out your say terrakion with choice scarf and eliminate it.

Its useful because it allows you to stop pokemon you normally wouldn't have been able to stop
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

Given certain circumstances, Choice Scarf can be one of the best items...otherwise it's just an okay item at best. I'd personally say that Focus Sash, Leftovers, and Life Orb/Expert Belt are overall the better items because of their benefits. Choice Scarf isn't gonna help you beat a Sword Dance Scizor (or any strong priority user) unless you resist it's moves and either cripple it or flat out KO.

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    The reason why the Choice Scarf is so helpful is that it gives a Pokemon a chance to sweep. It's helpful. Beyond that, I'd actually say it was useless. Here are so many Pokemon who don't use or just straight up find it useless (like Scizor mentioned above) that it is easily not the best item in the game.
    Plus only being able to use one move sucks.
    I actually find Scarfed Scizor to be amazing... getting off an unexpectedly fast U-Turn can surprise the opponent to no end. In place of Bullet Punch you have Iron Head which appreciates the added flinch and overall power.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

In terms of revenge killing defenitely since you can take out any weakened Thundurus-T, Venasaur, etc but in terms of offensive/defensive boosting/utilities no since you basically don't obtain the needed power of a Choice Band or get the recovery you need from leftovers. So in conclusion each item is great in a certain category. Who knows, maybe the Choice Scarf may get a buff or debuff in X and Y.

You can say that, its obviously one of the best item in competitive scene. Free +1 speed with the cost of being restricted into one move is a pretty damn good deal if u ask me!
    That's why every team mostly have at least 1 choice scarfers, whether its for revenge killing purpose or to avoid avoid being swept by naturally fast sweepers.
    Also, with Trick you can turn walls into junk.

"It's not god the people fear; people's fear is God."

The effectiveness of an item depends on the pokemon that uses it.

That's what most of the people here are saying anyway.

/end discussion.

Of course its not the best, some pokemon like Dancers and Calm Minders need to be able to use all of their moves in order to have coverage and even attack. leftovers is arguably the best item, but there are some pokemon that dont use it like Glass cannons and Dual Screeners.
    [IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/no61ic.jpg[/IMG]

Credits to FairyWitch for the buttons and Sworn Metalhead for the Userbar!

Yeah I would not say its the best item mainly because well you can only use one move but it is easily one of the most useful especially when the metagame right now is a very offensive and fast paced one. I mean with it lets you revenge kill outspeed where you normally would not etc. But it falls short because of the fact you can only use one move. As someone else said this is why a lot of the time I prefer moves like Agility or Rock Polish over a Choice Scarf because I am then free to use any move I wish and in most cases after Agility or RP you will actually be faster if your opponent has the scarfed Pokemons. So yeah basically that one move trade off is what makes choice items fall short. But it is for good reason I mean if you could still use any move and still have the stat boost from a choice item I wonder if the item would even stay legal aha...
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Choice Scarf is definitely not the best item, but it's still very good.

It's great, but worse than Focus Sash. An item that can prevent ANY pokemon from dying in one hit, even when hit by a super-effective move or by a pokemon with a massive attack stat. That item has no competition.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/tahegy.png[/IMG]

The New Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Pookey-man View Post
    It's great, but worse than Focus Sash. An item that can prevent ANY pokemon from dying in one hit, even when hit by a super-effective move or by a pokemon with a massive attack stat. That item has no competition.
    Take in account that Focus Sash is ruined by Fake Out and entery hazards and some status. As you probably know entery hazards bacame a huge part of the metagame. Choice Scarf and Choice items in general are not the best as has been said 9001 times by now but they are for sure better than Focus Sash which I see is becoming less and less useful because of hazards etc. Basically what I mean is to say a Focus Sash has no competition is silly when the pros are very outweighed by the cons.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Pookey-man View Post
    Other than using Focus sash for a lead, which will only last for less than 4 turns, common residual damages such as stealth rock, spikes, and sandstorm will turn your focus sash into a pain in the ***. Choice Scarf gives you a lot of benefits from the beginning to the end of a match, which is better in my point of view.

"It's not god the people fear; people's fear is God."

I always saw it as a way to give slower pokemon a way to sweep. Personally I do not use it much. I hate being limited to just one move. I agree though. Many people online have choice scarfed pokemon but it will not always give them the advantage. You can easily cripple them with trick in a single battle. When Chandelure with shadow tag is released and somebody is locked into choice scarf with a move that has no effect or little to no effect on Chandelure well guess what? It is goodbye for the most part.

Choice Scarf isn't the best item game because it doesn't benefet every Pokemon that holds it. However, it is one of the best if you consider that most of the overused Pokemons are sweepers. Choice Scarf is a nice acessory for fast-offensive Pokemons like Infernape, Blaziken, Garchomp, Espeon, Gengar, etc, but it can screw you in the other hand if foe launches a Pokemon which type is resistant to the last move your Pokemon used. On that way, the item can harm you if don't have a nice counter in your team. Choice Scarf will help you a lot if your opponent uses a monotyped team, but this rarely or never happens in the competitive enviroment.

I don't really like the choice items, what good is the boost if the one move you're locked in is rendered useless?
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    I don't really like the choice items, what good is the boost if the one move you're locked in is rendered useless?
    Well, that's why it is not the best item. The reason why it is so highly valued is that the +1 boost in Speed is usually
    enough to outspeed the foe currently out. If the foe has already taken damage, most likely the case it has already KO'd one of your pokemon, and your scarfed pokemon is able to hit it for SE damage; you are likely to KO the opponent (if they don't switch, though). Being locked into one move is just the price of having an otherwise free +1 speed boost because, unlike all other stats, the difference of just 1 Speed point can easily make the difference between winning or losing the match.
    Current IV hunt:
    - Perfect IV w/ Anticipation. Current progress: 31/31/31/??/31/31 IV w/ Anticipation.

Previous hunts:
    - 31/31/31/??/31/31 IV w/ Huge Power and Adamant Nature.

Single best item in the game is Leftovers. This is pretty much non disputable.

In terms of the most influential items, Gen II was entirely defined by Leftovers, Gen III by Leftovers and Choice Band, and DPP by Lefties/Band/Scarf/LO

it really depends on which pokemon you are using. they are good, but certain pokemon may need the healing of leftovers or the freedom to choose moves. it is good, but not always what you need for your pokemon.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

i dont consider it the best

once its revealed that a pokemon is scarfed, it becomes fairly predictable

dont get me wrong, its a great item and defiantly should be used, but i dont consider it the best
    Black 2 fc: 4771 7715 3926
    feel free to pm me anytime for a battle

There are too many of these "the best _" threads. Like so many other things in pokemon, including stats, moves, types, and pokemon themselves, you can't flat out say "this one is the best because of this". Choice scarf is a great item, with its one obvious drawback, move locking.

It's great on, say, a Heracross, but terrible on an Aerodactyl. We can't say anything is the best. Everything's got its uses and drawbacks.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Gothitelle is a great user of choice scarf, despite its current BL status. A common set would be:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

This set, while lacking the power of a specs set, can still revenge kill several threats given some prior damage. It can OHKO 252HP/0SpD Gliscor 31% of the time, 100% if you have rocks up. Gothitelle also stops threats such as Tornadus and Starmie with t-bolt, and can revenge kill Landorus/Salamence, assuming no rockpolish/dd boosts. The best move here however is Trick, which guarantees Gothitelle can cripple any opposing walls such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, Blissey, etc., courtesy of shadow tag.

The main point here is that the choice scarf turns a mediocre base 65 speed pokemon into an effective trapper/revenge killer, and it holds its niche as the most speedy/reliable shadow tag pokemon in OU (It was banned from UU for a reason...)

Is choice scarf the best item in the game? No, you can't really say that about any item, as they all serve their own purpose. Defensive mons do best with leftovers, eviolite, rocky helmet, etc. Offensive mons who are already pretty fast may prefer the extra power brought by a band or specs, or they may prefer the freedom of switching moves and run life orb. A better question might be: is choice scarf absolutely necessary on every viable team? Again, no, as with all choiced items, it can be played/predicted around, however having one or two powerful scarf users on a team can really save you in tight situations. And outrage sweeping becomes much easier with mons such as Moxie Salamence and Kyurem-B once the opposing steel types have been eliminated.

Honestly, each to their own. Trick Room teams don't need scarfers.
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Demon View Post
    Honestly, each to their own. Trick Room teams don't need scarfers.
    Not really, TR teams usually carry one scarier (or so I heard) to clean up late game. It would suck if all your TR mons are dead and you're letting with a bunch of -speed nature 0 speed investment mons.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Not really, TR teams usually carry one scarier (or so I heard) to clean up late game. It would suck if all your TR mons are dead and you're letting with a bunch of -speed nature 0 speed investment mons.
    It really depends how many Trick Roomers you have. If you have 1-2 TR, or a very light Trick Room team, carrying a Scarf Pokemon is useful. For fully dedicated TR teams (3-4, sometimes 5 Trick Roomers), Scarfers and fast pokemon in general are pretty useless.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Choice Scarf is so good because it gives you a surefire chance to outspeed and revenge kill. That's my number-one use for the scarf. I don't actually have a Scarfer on my team, but I have Mach Punch on Breloom, a max speed Jolteon (which is pretty damn fast), and two ridiculously bulky walls that can take pretty much anything down. So the scarf's speed is what makes it great, but that's just it: speed. Speed is what makes it the best, and so there are alternatives.
    Life is a funny thing. I have something of a love-hate relationship with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast