Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Choice Scarf the best item in the game?

choice scarf is a very nice item, but definetly not the best, but it's somewhere uo there with life orb and leftovers. Why it isnt the best is because even though you have very fast speed, you might not be able to use that super fast move against another pokemon.

[Credit to DasBoot for the awesone banner!]

[Credit to Snowflake for making this!]
    ING: Gem
    Black FC: 4599 2292 5028

So, is it really possible to build a team that has no Choice Item (scarf, band, specs) and still win againt an opponent's professional choice Item user?

Possibly yes. But I just don't know how.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Practically all stall teams forgo running a choice user, including Choice Scarf. On stall teams, a choice scarf (or any choice item) isn't necessary because the goal of the team is to wear out the opponents team with residue damage. However, building an offensive or even bulky offensive team with a choice scarf is quite hard, as there are numerous fast and powerful threats (ex. DD Salamence/Dragonite, Keldeo, Terrakion) in this metagame.

Credits to Astral Shadow for both banners.

Choice Scarf is a good item for offensive teams, but there is no way that it is the best item in the game. The most popular item in the metagame is/has been Leftovers, and for a good reason.

I've never used a choice item. I don't like them and I think its a cheesy way to win. I have won and lost many competitions to People who use them. Even Ubers my teams will beat their choice items with a few exceptions being particularly tough but not unstoppable for me. I don't use Ubers or choice items but I'll still beat people who use both. They're good but don't depend on them to win. I don't. It's my goal to never use them but still win with some consistency.
    3DS FC 3780-9100-5377

Looking for Non-Kalos legends for Dex only.

Quote Originally Posted by Hells Envoy View Post
    I've never used a choice item. I don't like them and I think its a cheesy way to win. I have won and lost many competitions to People who use them. Even Ubers my teams will beat their choice items with a few exceptions being particularly tough but not unstoppable for me. I don't use Ubers or choice items but I'll still beat people who use both. They're good but don't depend on them to win. I don't. It's my goal to never use them but still win with some consistency.
    Legendaries =/= Ubers.

Ubers is a banlist that became its own tier.

I think it is definitely a must for offensive teams. It is, in fact, one of the better items out there, as otherwise speed boosting threats wreck your team, unless you go full stall or have haze or something.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Choice Scarf is a really awesome item and is basically necessary on any OU team, unless you have speed boosting moves or priority. However, there is also a ton of stuff in OU that can set up on something locked into an unfavorable choice scarf move. That's why I think it's a good rule of thumb to keep your Scarfer from entering the field unless you need to KO something before it sets up or if you see an opportunity to do a little sweeping/ wallbreaking. Otherwise you run the risk of becoming setup fodder plus you might lose your Scarfer before you really need it.

Choice Scarf is a very useful item, but if you don't know what item to use on a Pokemon you won't be thinking Scarf. You'll be thinking Leftovers, the most used item in competitive by far.
    Made by me, if you want one then PM or something.

For most situations, I personally don't like the item. Yes, it may make your team technically more powerful, but you have to ask yourself, why are you battling in the first place? To enjoy it and have fun. I find choice scarfs to be a very boring item to use.

Choice Scarf is an awesome item if you slap it on an already powerfully offensive monster. Otherwise, it's more or less a waste, which doesn't make it the 'best item in the game' at all.

The best item would definitely be Leftovers. Even set-up sweepers with moderate bulk find Leftovers more important than Life Orb in certain circumstances. Leftovers also turn many 2HKOs to 3HKOs, help in stalling and makes the walls the defensive behemoth they are today.

I would have to say that Leftovers easily takes the cake as one of the game's best items. It grants consistent recovery without need of a moveslot, and helps otherwise terrible Pokemon actually become viable in the current metagame.

I run a balanced offense team currently, and I have zero choice scarf users. Instead, I rely on boosting moves to carry the day. Even though this requires more prediction skills and overall playing skill, it's generally more rewarding to see one of my Pokemon end up on top because they're able to switch moves at will.

Overall though, I think it's more a matter of a player's overall style more than anything else. Do they like power over versatility in most battles? If so, you'll likely see them packing more Choice items than not on their teams.
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

To be honest, there really is no "best item" in the game, either ingame or competitively, because each serve a different function. It is true that there are some items that are better than others, either in functionality (Sitrus Berry > Oran Berry and the like), or just based upon the effects of the items themselves (such as Amulet Coin having no competitive purpose) but it is very difficult to claim that any item is the "best" out of all of the others. The popular use of an item does generally show that it is a good item, but once again there isn't a way to determine which of these commonly used items is better than the rest.

Choice Scarf in and of itself is a very useful item competitively as it provides a means of boosting the Speed of one's Pokemon, allowing many KOs on Pokemon that are usually faster, or have set themselves up to be faster. However, it is likely not the best item in the game (if there is such a thing) as it does have the crippling weakness of locking the Pokemon into whichever move you choose to attack with, allowing often for easy switch ins in addition to the problems that arise if you misplay and use the wrong move, expecting your opponent to do something else.

To address the query of the OP, competitive battling isn't completely centered around the use of Choice Scarf, but it is a pivotal part of the competitive metagame. Although many people use it on their teams (with good reason, it is a useful item), it is merely helpful, not crucial, for you to have a Pokemon holding it on your team.

Also, probably should've caught this necrobump when it happened, but ah well it's still a relatively valid point of discussion :$
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

I am happy they made Choice scarf, I dont think any item is the best. (Although If I had to chose it would probably be Leftovers, I think its the most used item of them all.)

Choice scarf gives certain pokemon the speed boost they need in order to actually be in the competive metagame.
    Krookdile would have alot of trouble fitting in UU without the Choice scarf, it would probably be in RU otherwise,

Choice scarf and Trick room are completely there to confuse the Speed tiers
    and for ultimate suprise revenge killing

Visit my Secret Base and let me know if you enjoyed it

Recent Hatch:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123