Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 125

Thread: Genderless Pokemon

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I can understand some legendary pokemon being genderless, but I think it's pretty lame that pokemon like magmemite and voltorb are genderless



    http://www.marapets.com/refer.php?id=jbla

    Please go to this website and make a FREE account! You will have a virtual character, virtual pets, and virtual friends! Similar to Neopets but WAY better!!!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576

    Default

    I always considered Virizion as a female. It's crazy to think something as complex as a pokemon is genderless. The only things in our world that are "genderless" are certain types of bacteria that reproduce asexually. Back to what's been said before I don't understand how some Legendaries, like Heatran, can have a gender and yet the more popular legends are never justified with genders. We hear the Lugia in Pokemon 2000 speaking telepathically with Ash, and it is obviously male. Mewtwo was clearly a male, and Entei from the 3rd movie was also male.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Abysmal Pit
    Posts
    143

    Default

    I'm kinda with you guys on the Staryu one--the regeneration makes sense for no-gender Starmie and Staryu. As for other Pokemon, I kinda like some of the approaches taken by Pokemon Stadium, like when the Magnemite form together to make Magneton. Maybe Magnemite form by putting together excess scrap and being charged by another Magnemite. Maybe after a Magneton evolves into Magnezone one of the Magnemite fall off and become a new one. Who knows. Maybe they disassemble themselves to build new babies of themselves, but can only sacrifice so many parts to create the babies and so need Ditto to reproduce in order to use an example of which "organs" they can lose and which ones they can't, like a 3D diagram.

    I always thought of the genderless legendaries as beings who have evolved past the need for genitalia and base reproduction, and when they need to reproduce they do so by disconnecting their energy from themselves or something.

    And my scifi speculation is done for the evening.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal Zero View Post
    Maybe after a Magneton evolves into Magnezone one of the Magnemite fall off and become a new one.
    Actually, no. All that happens when Magneton evolves is that one of them gets bigger and all three of them fuse together.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Abysmal Pit
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Actually, no. All that happens when Magneton evolves is that one of them gets bigger and all three of them fuse together.
    ...Yeah, you're right on that one. ^^ The whole of the genderless Pokemon's existance is odd and speculative.

    For all we know, it's Dr. Wily sitting in some basement somewhere creating all of the Beldum, Magnemite, and Voltorb of the world.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal Zero View Post
    I'm kinda with you guys on the Staryu one--the regeneration makes sense for no-gender Starmie and Staryu. As for other Pokemon, I kinda like some of the approaches taken by Pokemon Stadium, like when the Magnemite form together to make Magneton. Maybe Magnemite form by putting together excess scrap and being charged by another Magnemite. Maybe after a Magneton evolves into Magnezone one of the Magnemite fall off and become a new one. Who knows. Maybe they disassemble themselves to build new babies of themselves, but can only sacrifice so many parts to create the babies and so need Ditto to reproduce in order to use an example of which "organs" they can lose and which ones they can't, like a 3D diagram.

    I always thought of the genderless legendaries as beings who have evolved past the need for genitalia and base reproduction, and when they need to reproduce they do so by disconnecting their energy from themselves or something.

    And my scifi speculation is done for the evening.
    lol, but I understand most steel types being genderless like beldum, kink, magnamite, bronzor because there somewhat artificial magnamite=magnet thing, beldum=robot, kink=gears, and reameber it's lugias not one lugia or there are more than one shaymin as well.
    But what I really don't understand is why male togepi are more common than female
    GF reasoning is beyond me
    Steel is the type of science


  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576

    Default

    At least Porygon has an excuse for being genderless. But that doesn't back up the organic/nonmechanical pokemon. If Shedinja is the shed skin of a Nincada as it is about to evolve, wouldn't it make sense that Shedinja should have the same gender as the Nincada it came from?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Defying Gravity
    Posts
    215

    Default

    There's no rhyme or reason to which pokemon are genderless and which aren't. For example, some legendaries are genderless, but Heatran, Cresselia and Delibird (don't know if that's legendary but I've heard it is) do have gender. Since I don't like saying 'it' when referring to pokemon I generally assign gender to all legendaries. Garantina is male, Palkia is female, Dialga is male, zekrom is male, reshiram is female, etc.
    Uh ...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    At least Porygon has an excuse for being genderless. But that doesn't back up the organic/nonmechanical pokemon. If Shedinja is the shed skin of a Nincada as it is about to evolve, wouldn't it make sense that Shedinja should have the same gender as the Nincada it came from?
    yeah and look at grimer/muk they should be genderless along with most other artificial pokemon
    Steel is the type of science


  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Wasn't jirachi referred to as "he" in the movie? I'm pretty sure it was at least said that jirachi and Max were like brothers. And the lugia in Whirl islands seemed pretty obviously meant to be a mother. Besides that, I personally don't think of that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if most saw more legendaries as being male, seeing as people tend to see animals whose gender is unknown as such.
    I believe Jirachi was, at least in the English dub.

    Well, we know there are more Lugia out there. Obviously, the Lugia in the second movie wasn't the same Lugia from the Whirl Islands though my brothers and I joke the Lugia from the movie fathered baby Silver. Though it reminds me that there seems to be more Darkrai out there as Tobias had one on his team. So would that suggest there are both male and female Darkrai out there, even though it looks like the most popular gender choice for Darkrai is a male? I mean, we were never told there was only one Darkrai... Cresselia is probably the only one of her species, but we'll never know, possibly.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    Entei from the 3rd movie was also male.
    Remember, that was Molly's vision of Entei. Her father role-plays as Entei earlier, and in her grief when she heard her father disappeared, imagined her father as an Entei, and thus he came to being. There's a possibility there are multiple Entei out there, as--according to one of its PokéDex entries--an Entei is born every time a new volcano erupts. And considering a shiny Suicune, Raikou, and Entei showed up in Zoroark - Master of Illusions, that pretty much answers that question.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    tobias also has a latios on his team
    Steel is the type of science


  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish View Post
    tobias also has a latios on his team
    Yes, but it was established in the games that Latias and Latios live in small herds, and that easily applies to the anime (even the fifth movie confirmed this). And as they were the first Legendaries with gender, people assumed there were more than one of the Lati@s.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Yes, but it was established in the games that Latias and Latios live in small herds, and that easily applies to the anime (even the fifth movie confirmed this). And as they were the first Legendaries with gender, people assumed there were more than one of the Lati@s.
    good point, I don't watch the anime mutch past Johto after that it whent downhill
    Steel is the type of science


  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Tell that to the supporters of the pokémon-use-celebi-and-jirachi-to-reproduce theory supporters XD

    Though in seriousness, I can see why magnemite and voltorb are genderless, being seemingly robots, the beldum line may or may not be robotic but are obviously based on non-animals and could reproduce asexually, and ditto are apparently hermaphrodites, but I do have to wonder about things like staryu. How exactly do those reproduce in the wild?

    Come to think of it, I am starting to wonder if that statement actually makes sense. Banettes are spirits possessing stuffed toys, which obviously don't have genitals, but they can have genders. Gastly don't even have bodies and are just made of gas, but they can have genders and can breed. And koffing don't look any more organic than solrock, yet only koffing can be male and female and actually breed. It's quite odd, really.
    About the ghosts we don't have much to talk about them. Ghosts are still a mysterious thing in our world, we have lots of theories about their existence. Some people believe that ghosts exist, some people doesn't. In this case, Game Freak has its own freewill to make ghosts look like what they think that fits well, and if a ghost can breed with another Pokemon, it should be considered something natural, at least in that world, as we don't have solid arguments from our world to indicate what ghosts can or what they cannot do in the world of Pokemons.


    Quote Originally Posted by GONZOglasses View Post
    I think a feminine Pokemon should only be a female. Masculine Pokemon should only be male.
    No, this thing to think that a creature should be only male because it looks like male doesn't make sense. Female and males exist, though it seems odd in some cases. For example, the male ladybug from the movie A Bug's Life, he gets pi$$ed off often when the other insects thinks that he is a girl just because all the ladybugs look like female. And in the move 1 of Sherk, when the donkey notice that the dragon was actually female, he gets a bit surprised about that (and the public too), he probably didn't imagine that a female dragon could be as scary and ferocious as a male dragon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrox View Post
    The real answer to this question:
    Pokemon don't breed like that, remember. A mysterious man comes and leaves an egg. Pokemon don't have sex organs. The man just doesn't give eggs to Pokemon if they're not compatible (egg groups).
    Oh, do you really think members will accept this as answer?

    If they didn't have sex organs, how would they pee? And poo? And don't dare to say that they don't do that. If they eat berries and drink water, the urine/faeces must come out by some way.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    If they didn't have sex organs, how would they pee? And poo? And don't dare to say that they don't do that. If they eat berries and drink water, the urine/faeces must come out by some way.
    Well if they all lay eggs, I guess they have avian anatomy, so their waste looks like... well, bird poop. Unless the mammals are just all egg-laying mammals in which case, the same way echidnas and platypi urinate/defecate.

    *beat*

    Yeah...
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    between 2 ocean & 2 continents
    Posts
    9,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 02939 View Post
    Delibird (don't know if that's legendary but I've heard it is)
    you definitely remembered the wrong Pokemon







    Anyway, I do consider some genderless Legends as having a certain gender.

    Virizion = female
    Terrakion & Cobalion = male
    Mesprite = female
    Uxie & Azelf = male
    Mew = female
    Meloetta = female (this one is really puzzling, no one will ever know why GF didn't give it a female gender, despite the obvious little girl appearance, not to mention apparently the suffix -etta only applies to female's names)
    Shaymin = female
    Dialga-Palkia-Giratina = male
    Raikou-Entei-Suicune = male

    As for the other genderless Legends, I simply believe there are both male and female variant, or in the case of the Weather Trio and the Regi Trio + Regigigas, they are indeed genderless.

    My shinies. Just click the links~

    ~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

    My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Well if they all lay eggs, I guess they have avian anatomy, so their waste looks like... well, bird poop. Unless the mammals are just all egg-laying mammals in which case, the same way echidnas and platypi urinate/defecate.

    *beat*

    Yeah...
    Pokemons have sexual organs. They just aren't shown because of age restrictions.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Riding on my Crimson Loftwing
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    There are genderless pokemon, yes, but I have come to the assumption that the it is up to the player, or viewer, to decide what gender a genderless pokemon is. Like Mewtwo, for example, is clearly male in the movie, while it can be assumed that Mew is female. Their outward appearance followed by a possible human voice and personality attributes greatly to whether one can assume if its a boy or a girl.

    Another example is Mesprit. Mesprit is genderless, but in just about every let's play or fanfiction I've read, Mesprit is referred to in the female perspective. This is most likely due to it having pink tendril like appendages off of its (her) head and it (her) being the being of emotion. Whereas Azelf and Uxie are referred to in the masculine term. The being of willpower and knowledge, although these terms are characteristics to females also, have more of a masculine tone. I don't know if that came out quite right. I'm not saying that boys are smarter than girls or vice versa, I'm just saying that for the sake of the trio (that usually has one female esque member, excluding trios when needed) the emotion third is more suitable for a female.

    Anyway, it's really up to you to decide for genderless pokemon. I usually like to say Manaphy is a girl, but I kinda think its a boy from time to time. So it really is just up to the player : )
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

    Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Pokemons have sexual organs. They just aren't shown because of age restrictions.
    well imagine one off your favorite pokemon with a ****, they way they is egg forms around the female pokemon and it taken by the day care man and given to you and when it ''hatches'' it transforms into the pokemon rather than come out of an egg or at least that how it's been described
    Steel is the type of science


  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576

    Default

    To add on to Shine's confusion about Meloetta, it is shown in the recent Japanese airings of the anime that Oshawott actually fell in love with the Meloetta in the anime. Since Oshawott is clearly male, Meloetta must be a female (in the anime at least.)

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    you definitely remembered the wrong Pokemon

    Anyway, I do consider some genderless Legends as having a certain gender.

    Virizion = female
    Terrakion & Cobalion = male
    Mesprite = female
    Uxie & Azelf = male
    Mew = female
    Meloetta = female (this one is really puzzling, no one will ever know why GF didn't give it a female gender, despite the obvious little girl appearance, not to mention apparently the suffix -etta only applies to female's names)
    Shaymin = female
    Dialga-Palkia-Giratina = male
    Raikou-Entei-Suicune = male

    As for the other genderless Legends, I simply believe there are both male and female variant, or in the case of the Weather Trio and the Regi Trio + Regigigas, they are indeed genderless.
    Two things.
    Firstly, Suicune is clearly more feminine than masculine. The way it moves, walks, and looks lead me to this conclusion.
    Finally, and most importantly, Shaymin a girl? I guess it's appearance is why most people think this, but the anime (and whatever movie with Giratina) show a ton of Shaymin appearing, and the games mention multiple Shaymin at once. In it's appearance with Giratina, it's voice was a lot more masculine.
    Mine is an unchanging love, higher than the heights above, deeper than the depths beneath, free and faithful, strong as death.

    William Cowper, "Lovest Thou Me?" Olney Hymns


    I choose my words carefully, but they may still hurt someone accidentally...

    Marley, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl


    And, look you, there is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man who knows his business.

    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

    Images removed for making the signature too tall.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrox View Post
    Two things.
    Firstly, Suicune is clearly more feminine than masculine. The way it moves, walks, and looks lead me to this conclusion.
    Finally, and most importantly, Shaymin a girl? I guess it's appearance is why most people think this, but the anime (and whatever movie with Giratina) show a ton of Shaymin appearing, and the games mention multiple Shaymin at once. In it's appearance with Giratina, it's voice was a lot more masculine.
    it's a matter of opinion
    Steel is the type of science


  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,820

    Default

    I call all of the legendaries except Latias, Cresslia, and Virizion males.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm here but not all there
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    And all this talk about regeneration reminds me, why in Arceus' name does Staryu/Starmie not have Regenerator?
    I believe Regenerator came out in GenIV

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    I always considered Virizion as a female. It's crazy to think something as complex as a pokemon is genderless. The only things in our world that are "genderless" are certain types of bacteria that reproduce asexually.
    Imagine the animals that are hermaphroditic, like those mussels. They change from male to female all the time, but in a Pokemon game, that'd be hard to program. So they become "genderless" to avoid confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    At least Porygon has an excuse for being genderless. But that doesn't back up the organic/nonmechanical pokemon. If Shedinja is the shed skin of a Nincada as it is about to evolve, wouldn't it make sense that Shedinja should have the same gender as the Nincada it came from?
    When your skin falls off, is it male? female? I'd say neither. It is dead, genderless, and it can't reproduce.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    To add on to Shine's confusion about Meloetta, it is shown in the recent Japanese airings of the anime that Oshawott actually fell in love with the Meloetta in the anime. Since Oshawott is clearly male, Meloetta must be a female (in the anime at least.)
    Or that particular Oshawott's homosexual.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I keep in mind the anime =/= game rule. So for genderless Pokémon like Legendaries, I just go by what I think they look like. I consider Mew to be pretty girly, but it's very possible the Mew from the eighth movie is an entirely different Mew--even then, I consider the Mew we know as a female. I believe Darkrai is a male (the voice helps), just like Dialga and Palkia are both male as well as Giratina. I also think Celebi is a male (unless there are actually more than one Celebi out there, the fourth movie screwed that up with the ending), as well as Jirachi, and a few others. Yeah, I think there are more male Legendaries than there are female for some reason.

    As for the normal genderless Pokémon, chances are majority of them are genderless, but as they're odd-looking Pokémon, the humans probably haven't been able to figure out where the sex organs are on them--if they have any to begin with. I'm not even sure if they do lay eggs to begin with, but as there are a bunch of them running around, they probably do breed. Thus this whole entire paragraph got contradicted left and right.

    So it's more-or-less an opinionated question, since the franchise is never going to answer this.
    Agree to this. Though this is how I perceive the Legendaries Genders. (some will be repeated)

    I. either Male / Female (due to sprite color/aesthetics)
    Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, Shaymin (both formes), Victini, Uxie, Azelf, Phione, Suicune, Heatran, Arceus

    II. Mostly feminine
    Cresselia, Shaymin (both formes), Latias, Kyogre, Mesprit, Meloetta, Reshiram, Mew, Celebi, Phione, Suicune, Arceus

    III. Mostly Masculine
    Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Entei, Raikou, Latios, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo, Zekrom, Kyurem, Jirachi, Manaphy, Victini, Uxie, Azelf, Heatran
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •