Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 125

Thread: Genderless Pokemon

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cometstarlight View Post
    Like Mewtwo, for example, is clearly male in the movie, while it can be assumed that Mew is female. Their outward appearance followed by a possible human voice and personality attributes greatly to whether one can assume if its a boy or a girl.
    If Mew is female and Mewtwo is a clone of Mew, then Mewtwo should be also female. o.O

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post

    Imagine the animals that are hermaphroditic, like those mussels. They change from male to female all the time, but in a Pokemon game, that'd be hard to program. So they become "genderless" to avoid confusion.


    Or that particular Oshawott's homosexual.
    But Cryogonal is not a mussel, frog, or fish. A lot of frogs in the world are hermaphroditic and yet the Poliwag, Croagunk, and Tympole lines have genders.

    And im pretty sure Japan never intended Oshawott to be homosexual in a show that targets younger children.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Is it also irritating for you that Rufflet/Braviary and Vullaby/Mandibuzz are gender counterparts? They're totally different from each other, based on different birds. While Rufflet and Braviary were based on sort of an eagle, Vullaby and Mandibuzz were based on vulture. It's not the same case of Nidoking and Nidoqueen, which share several similar aspects being both based on a rhino or dinossaur-like creature. It was a surprise for me when I noticed that Rufflet/Braviary were only male and Vullaby/Mandibuzz were only female.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoruagible View Post
    I call all of the legendaries except Latias, Cresslia, and Virizion males.
    Virizion honestly looks more male-ish than Meloetta.

    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrapion View Post
    In the Anime, Virizion is referred to as "she" iirc,
    and Terrakion/Cobalion are males, not saying
    you can't think any way though.
    Well, it's not like the anime is even canon anyway. We've seen a Lugia baby too, and that's impossible in the games.

    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sigil Halls - Vesryn Region
    Posts
    127

    Default

    A male Gardevoir is weird because of it's looks so making a Gallade was a smart idea since Gallade is only male.

    Created by Inferno Productions

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrapion View Post
    In the Anime, Virizion is referred to as "she" iirc,
    and Terrakion/Cobalion are males, not saying
    you can't think any way though.
    which is odd given that virizion is based on Aramis who is a man.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Is it also irritating for you that Rufflet/Braviary and Vullaby/Mandibuzz are gender counterparts? They're totally different from each other, based on different birds. While Rufflet and Braviary were based on sort of an eagle, Vullaby and Mandibuzz were based on vulture. It's not the same case of Nidoking and Nidoqueen, which share several similar aspects being both based on a rhino or dinossaur-like creature. It was a surprise for me when I noticed that Rufflet/Braviary were only male and Vullaby/Mandibuzz were only female.
    This. Nothing about their design suggests that they are gender specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    This. Nothing about their design suggests that they are gender specific.
    It doesn't make sense at all, I guess Mandibuzz was meant to be
    more feminine and braviary more masculine, but they barely resemble it.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrapion View Post
    It doesn't make sense at all, I guess Mandibuzz was meant to be
    more feminine and braviary more masculine, but they barely resemble it.
    I thought their design made them pretty gender specific already, especially for Mandibuzz. As for being gender counterparts to each other, it's definitely weird to link two unrelated species. Then again, gender counterparts have been pretty irregular since the beginning. We have totally separated Pokemon families that resembles each other (Nidoran's family), we get those that only differ by forms (Jellicent, Unfezant), and now we have counterparts that aren't even related by design and/or species. The breeding rule makes it all the more confusing.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrapion View Post
    It doesn't make sense at all, I guess Mandibuzz was meant to be
    more feminine and braviary more masculine, but they barely resemble it.
    Yep. I got twice shocked when I discovered that Mandibuzz and Braviary were gender counterparts.

    First, for designing them as gender counterparts. How could someone imagine they as relatives?

    Second, for not stopping them to be gender counterparts before the release of the Gen V. Anyone could have said "It is odd they being related! Change this now!"

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    America
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Ya same here I always thought mew was a girl
    Pokemon W:
    Pokemon W2:

    PokémonSean

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I don't understand how you get new ones.
    Do they breed asexually? Do they divide like amoebas? Do they pop out of the ground? D:

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Giving Pokemon genders always seemed so gimmicky to me.
    Obviously they wanted to be able to have a way to replicate Pokemon, to give a reason for coming up with Magby, Smoochum, Elekid etc. etc.
    I just wish they would have found a better way to accomplish that.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    i also always thought for some pokemon to have a certain gender was odd like you guys mention a machamp being female o.O

    but anyway i thought mew was a baby pkm? least i remember some were in the show saying that it was one and it being male too just since its a baby it can come off as female same with celebi and jirachi o.o

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    578

    Default

    The thing with being genderless, is that it seems to serve no purpose. Sure this means legendaries cannot breed, but baby pokemon have genders and are designed to be unable to breed. The only upside is that the legends cannot be affected by attract, but what is the main reason for this? Why don't these pokemon have genders? Is there some hidden reason behind this all? Only some legendaries in my opinion have an excuse to not have genders: Deoxys, the Regis,[Dialga, Palkia, Dialga, and Arceus (due to being godlike)].

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    If ungender Pokemons were gender since Generation II, nobody were going to complain about they being gender, but as in the introduction of genders they made some Pokemons being ungender, people now discuss why some gender Pokemons aren't ungender and why some ungender aren't gender. Well, the most acceptable theory is that non-legendary ungender Pokemons are based on objects in the real life. Hence they were not given gender. Voltorb, for example, is based on Poke Ball, Magnemite is based on a Magnet, Klang is based on gears, Metagross seems to be based on a cyborg-robot, etc. Then, any members might quote "And Geodude? Solrock? They are objects and have gender!". Well, I add a new detail, they were not based on objects made by humans, they are made of minerals made naturally by the nature. It seems that everything which is robotic or artifical is ungender in the Pokemon world.

    Now, Pokemons that are based on living creatures (the majority) were given a gender, but we have exceptions. Most of the exceptions are legendaries and legendaries were not given gender probably to become unable of breeding. But this isn't indeed true. If a legendary shouldn't be breedable, Game Freak could just make them incapable of breeding, what happens with Nidorina, that in spite of not being a legendary, she is unable of breeding by any reason as long as her male counterpart, Nidorino, is able to.

    As many members above said, I agree that:

    -some ungender Pokemons should become gender (most legendaries);

    -though some legendaries becoming gender, they were still unbreedable;

    -ungender Pokemons should be able to breed with other of the same specie;

    -some ungender Pokemons should be able to breed alone. Like some animals are capable of cloning/duplicating/regenerating themselves in real life.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lumiose City, Kalos
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    If ungender Pokemons were gender since Generation II, nobody were going to complain about they being gender, but as in the introduction of genders they made some Pokemons being ungender, people now discuss why some gender Pokemons aren't ungender and why some ungender aren't gender. Well, the most acceptable theory is that non-legendary ungender Pokemons are based on objects in the real life. Hence they were not given gender. Voltorb, for example, is based on Poke Ball, Magnemite is based on a Magnet, Klang is based on gears, Metagross seems to be based on a cyborg-robot, etc. Then, any members might quote "And Geodude? Solrock? They are objects and have gender!". Well, I add a new detail, they were not based on objects made by humans, they are made of minerals made naturally by the nature. It seems that everything which is robotic or artifical is ungender in the Pokemon world.

    Now, Pokemons that are based on living creatures (the majority) were given a gender, but we have exceptions. Most of the exceptions are legendaries and legendaries were not given gender probably to become unable of breeding. But this isn't indeed true. If a legendary shouldn't be breedable, Game Freak could just make them incapable of breeding, what happens with Nidorina, that in spite of not being a legendary, she is unable of breeding by any reason as long as her male counterpart, Nidorino, is able to.

    As many members above said, I agree that:

    -some ungender Pokemons should become gender (most legendaries);

    -though some legendaries becoming gender, they were still unbreedable;

    -ungender Pokemons should be able to breed with other of the same specie;

    -some ungender Pokemons should be able to breed alone. Like some animals are capable of cloning/duplicating/regenerating themselves in real life.
    Nice explanition.
    Also, the last point gives me an idea. Maybe, we should a cloning system for these ungendered man made pokes, that would make more sense then breeding ungendered pokes

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Nice explanition.
    Also, the last point gives me an idea. Maybe, we should a cloning system for these ungendered man made pokes, that would make more sense then breeding ungendered pokes
    Yes., For example, if a Staryu were left alone in the day-care, after sometime it could appear another Staryu, at Level 1 (not in egg). This is my idea.

  20. #70

    Default

    Sometimes its stupid. There are pokemons with gender that makes less sense than a Solrock. And i find it weird that Nintendo put in gender differances but didnt change lets say Machoke. Im not asking for anything big, atleast put a lipstick on it.
    And some of the legendaries really look like males. Terrakion for example.
    Last edited by escargon; 3rd January 2013 at 2:23 PM.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Brazil
    Posts
    4,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doux View Post
    I don't understand how you get new ones.
    Do they breed asexually? Do they divide like amoebas? Do they pop out of the ground? D:
    You either breed them with Ditto, the universal solution, or they don't breed at all (legendaries).

    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by escargon View Post
    Sometimes its stupid. There are pokemons with gender that makes less sense than a Solrock. And i find it weird that Nintendo put in gender differances but didnt change lets say Machoke. Im not asking for anything big, atleast put a lipstick on it.
    And some of the legendaries really look like males. Terrakion for example.
    and some are defiantly female like virizion
    Steel is the type of science


  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Undella town
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    This is also something i find quite akward and confusing.
    I can see why most legendaries cannot be either gender. I see them as a 'higher power' in the pokemon universe leaving them no need to have a gender. But as the OP said there are some genderless legends that are clearly more masculine than feminine and vice-versa. This is justified with their inability to breed (except manaphy).
    But the bit that I cannot understand is regular generless pokemon. I understand how they are genderless because most genderless pokemon are based around man-made objects such as magnets with the magnemite line. But how can they breed with ditto?
    Ditto is a special case i know, being able to transform into whatever it likes.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

    5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

    6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

    Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

  24. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Growing up I did think Mewtwo was Male and Mew was Female just based on the colour and design of them.

    As for Genderless Pokémon it's a little complicated for me. Non-Legendaries such as Staryu, Electrode and Metagross never really struck me as being gender specific. They seemed more ambiguous and gender neutral.

    Where as the Legendaries such as Azelf, Meloetta and Manaphy, they seemed to strike me as more gender specific. The colours and designs of them seem to suggest a certain gender as Azelf seems more masculine and Meloetta seems more feminine yet neither one of them have a clear cut gender. I guess this was implemented to stop us from breeding them to get more legendaries but then again baby Pokémon can't breed either which just complicates matters even more.

    I guess since Legendary Pokémon are seen as the Gods of Pokémon who have created Time, Space, Land etc. that they much like some of the Gods of Mythology, don't have a clear cut gender. They're just powerful.

    Pokemon Omega Ruby: Badges: 6
    Pokemon X Badges: 1
    Pokemon Platinum: Badges:7
    Pokemon Emerald Badges: 3
    Pokemon Leaf Green Badges: 8

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    578

    Default

    But in mythology the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian gods actually had clear genders.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •