Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Genderless Pokemon

I'll usually refer to my genderless Pokemon as "he" or "she" when I talk about them, so I guess I do see them as gendered. However, I can see most genderless Pokemon as being either male or female. The only real exceptions for me are Mewtwo, who is very masculine looking, and possibly Darkrai, who is very feminine looking (to me). Pretty much all other genderless Pokemon, though, look like they could be either. I really can't think of any exceptions except for the two that I've already mentioned.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    I'll usually refer to my genderless Pokemon as "he" or "she" when I talk about them, so I guess I do see them as gendered. However, I can see most genderless Pokemon as being either male or female. The only real exceptions for me are Mewtwo, who is very masculine looking, and possibly Darkrai, who is very feminine looking (to me). Pretty much all other genderless Pokemon, though, look like they could be either. I really can't think of any exceptions except for the two that I've already mentioned.
    I tend to refer to all pokemon as "it"
    Steel is the type of science

I just look at what gender of the Pokemon I see fit. The fact that there are genderless Pokemon doesn't bother me, if you want to give them a gender then just use the female/male symbol when nicknaming them (if it doesn't exceed the character limit)

Genderless Pokemon kind of concern me due to them having inability to breed except Ditto. They can't breed with themselves except Ditto which can breed with any non-legendary pokemon . Doesn't it feel sad how a creature is unable to love, while others can as you can never understand the warm feeling of someone caring for you and have children of your own while others can. You would feel incomplete without the emotion of love.

Here is a link that also explains the situation with a certain Ice type

http://www.rarecandytreatment.com/co...-dont-hurt-me/

Quote Originally Posted by escargon View Post
    Sometimes its stupid. There are pokemons with gender that makes less sense than a Solrock. And i find it weird that Nintendo put in gender differances but didnt change lets say Machoke. Im not asking for anything big, atleast put a lipstick on it.
    And some of the legendaries really look like males. Terrakion for example.
    It's not about what they look like. Terrakion doesn't have a vagina or a penis, nor any other type of sexual organ, like most of genderless Pokémon.
    Friend Safari
    Type: Poison
    Pokémon: Venomoth, Gloom, Drapion
    FC: 3969-5407-3750
    If you add me, please PM me so I can add you back

I was always bugged by how Alakazam could be female. I mean... It has a mustache...

Saaatoshi!

The Johto dogs should have genders, they were ordinary Pokémon before they burned to death in the Brass Tower.
    Perhaps their remains were too uhh.. burnt.. for Ho-oh to recognise them as male or female. Or Ho-oh needed to remove their abilities to reproduce in order t revive them.
    Black 2 FC - 2237 5230 0474

Inversively, I didn't get how Heatran could have genders, I mean, it's magma/lava. But then I relized it might have burnt so many Geofude, it absorbed the gender or something creepy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by supersmew View Post
    I was always bugged by how Alakazam could be female. I mean... It has a mustache...
    Some women have mustaches, don't they?
    AFTER STARTING OUT AS A POKÉMON TRAINER IN 1998, I FINALLY COMPLETED THE POKÉDEX ON NOVEMBER 16TH IN THE YEAR 2014
    Playtime in Pokémon Y: 513 hours and 50 minutes.
    Pokémon seen: 718
    Pokémon caught: 718

Future team for Omega Ruby: Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Gorebyss, Sableye, (event shiny) Metagross

"Trust me, any problem comes up, I'll stomp it into next week! I'll Bowserize it!"' —Bowser, Super Paper Mario

Maybe most legendary Pokemon just haven't been given genders because most of them are so elusive that no one's ever been able to study them enough to figure it out. I don't know how they did manage to figure it out for Cresselia and stuff though.

I don't have a problem with genderless Pokemon, but their decisions on which ones fall into this category are a bit odd. I mean Beldum doesn't have a gender, presumably because it's made out of steel. But Geodude's just a rock with arms. As someone else said, Gastly is just a ball of gas that can breed somehow.

3ds Friend Code: 3480-3956-6165
    In Safari: Onix, Dwebble, Barbaracle (Rock Types)
    Currently looking for HA Bulbasaur and Chespin family members. Please message if you want to add me.

Magnemite line: I do understand how they are genderless, but as to why a the ghastly line do have genders...
    ...Well, maybe that's OK because ghosts do have genders but as to how they can breed o_O

Magikarp used splash! It's a one-hit KO!

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN TRAINER Oliver View Post
    Magnemite line: I do understand how they are genderless, but as to why a the ghastly line do have genders...
    ...Well, maybe that's OK because ghosts do have genders but as to how they can breed o_O
    Yeah... I always thought the Ghastly line should be genderless too... They're a Pokemon that is literally made out of vapor...
    As for the last part of that post... Awkward question, but I guess pretty reasonable... Let's not answer it. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN TRAINER Oliver View Post
    Ghost Pokemons could transform into genitalia, on that way, they can breed with any Pokemon. That's my theory.

LoL! I have never though of it before.. I believe it is.. Male? LoL!
    Visit another Pokemon Forum @ http://pokedawn.cu.cc/
    ''An awesome Pokemon Fans Site''

Looking for staff member, maybe you can be one tomorrow.

I personally think that when Pokemon are genderless it's supposed to mean that they are so far away from common biology that the laws of gender don't apply to them. Pokemon like the Magnemite line are genderless because they're animated magnets and metal. Almost nothing about them resembles humans or animals, so they don't really need to have a gender. As for legendary Pokemon, while some of them are easy to apply a gender to, such as Mewtwo being male or Mesprit being female, and they are relatively close to common biology, the whole thing about genderless meant that they were so different from us due to their enormous powers that the rules of gender didn't apply. Just think, comparing a human or regular Pokemon to beings that rule, and can warp to their will, time and space, the gap is far too vast to assume they go by the same logic we do. Also, I'm sure the whole 'unbreedable' and 'genders didn't exist on normal Pokemon in Gen I' helped with that a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMasterCait View Post
    This is a random thing but I wanted to know what your opinions are. When I was younger and The First movie came out, I saw Mew and thought it was a girl...growing up I still believe Mew is a girl XD Do any of you guys do that (If it looks girly it's a girl and if it looks masculine it's a boy)??? or am I the weird one? and What do you think about them in general, like how do you feel about there being Genderless pokemon?
    First despite Mew having no offical gender I still like to refer to it as a girl. As for genderless Pokemon in general? The only gripe I have with them is the fact that there immune to infatuation. Unless Obivoius is one of there abilities they should be prone to infatuation REGARDLESS of the opponents gender! Apparently genderless Pokemon just don't have feelings.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Most pokemon look genderless for me. Well, Aside from the pink ones like Jingly Puff and Mew.

Yes, I think that it should be common practice for most pokemon to have genders.

Also, person above me, why the "nya~"? Is it really needed?
    I'll make you wet.

6th Gen Starter of Choice- Chespin

Hoenn's my favorite. So many memories...

The term Genderless seems to be misinterpreted.

It doesn't mean that it has no gender, it just means that it's unknown. Hell, in Pokedex 3D, it explicitly calls it "Gender unknown".

In some cases like Magnemite or Golurk, I dunno, really.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    The term Genderless seems to be misinterpreted.

It doesn't mean that it has no gender, it just means that it's unknown. Hell, in Pokedex 3D, it explicitly calls it "Gender unknown".

In some cases like Magnemite or Golurk, I dunno, really.
    So, the reason no-one can breed "Genderless" Pokemon is because we're just really unlucky and we just keep putting females together and we don't know it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

I always saw Mew as male. It's like Kirby...

I think they leave certain legendaries genderless so it can be left up to individual interpretation.

Genderless pokemon, sounds like ground worms to me, it's as if pokemon is trying to make pokemon even more based off of life and thats a neat concept, So what if it takes away from easy breeding, whats wrong with making the game a little bit harder for everyone.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    Genderless pokemon, sounds like ground worms to me, it's as if pokemon is trying to make pokemon even more based off of life and thats a neat concept, So what if it takes away from easy breeding, whats wrong with making the game a little bit harder for everyone.
    It's more of a nuisance rather than making the game harder. If they wanted to take away breeding to increase difficulty it would have been applied to all Pokemon, as is seen in B2W2 pre-E4. Moreover, none of the genderless Pokemon that can breed with Ditto are organic by nature, so your comparison with ground worms is rather illogical.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I think the animalian legendaries are really tough to breed in captivity which is why they are unable to breed in games. (just like many real life endangered species)

At first look, I consider Articuno and Moltres female, Zapdos male, Raikou and Entei male, Suicune can be either, Meloetta obviously female, Cobalion and Terrakion male, Virizion female, etc. Of course, the anime has shown that there are multiples of many legendary species, so if there are indeed more than one of a given legendary, then all bets are off. Then they either do have genders that people haven't found out yet, or maybe they're true hermaphrodites.

The Regis would always be genderless because they look like robotic lifeforms akin to Golurk, etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast