Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Genderless Pokemon

I remember when GSC came out, I just figured that legendaries were genderless so people wouldn't try to shove them in the daycare to get more. That theory was proven false once I saw Lati@s.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I didn't know what genders were until DP. From that point on, I wanted Pokemon of the gender they looked like such as male Garchomp or whatever.

Help these dragons live, click on them.

It doesn't make sense to me. Even if they don't procreate, they still have sort of "mind" gender
    I absolutely LOVE Raichu.

i remember when i didnt 'get' attract and i tried using it on everything and i hated genderlesses cuz it wouldnt work.
    and (maybe this has already been touched on, but...) how the heck do genderless pokemon reproduce in the wild?
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddysTurtwigFanClub View Post
    This is also something i find quite akward and confusing.
    I can see why most legendaries cannot be either gender. I see them as a 'higher power' in the pokemon universe leaving them no need to have a gender. But as the OP said there are some genderless legends that are clearly more masculine than feminine and vice-versa. This is justified with their inability to breed (except manaphy).
    But the bit that I cannot understand is regular generless pokemon. I understand how they are genderless because most genderless pokemon are based around man-made objects such as magnets with the magnemite line. But how can they breed with ditto?
    Ditto is a special case i know, being able to transform into whatever it likes.
    As we all know, Ditto is a big bundle of DNA, effectively making it a cell, or at least a nucleus/nucleoid/nucleolus. When in the DayCare, it Transforms into its partner, and, being in a highly romantic area (scented candles and saxophone music to get you in the mood?), receives the urge to reproduce. Cells reproduce asexually, so it then undergoes cell mitosis. After Telophase+Cytokinesis, you have two new cells: Ditto (which then undergoes a state of growth), and a smaller (baby) Magnemite.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

I always felt that ditto copied its love body, stole a bit of DNA/RNA and used it to make a copy of it within itself. With asexual breeding not being perfect and making mistakes (ditto could probably do this intentinaly) creating a slightly diffrent version of what it collected DNA from. AKA a parent voltorb with a docile nature loving to run, would have a child with a ditto that has a brave nature and loves to eat. almost as if it were a shared breeding but only with one parents DNA being manipulated to construct a mutation in the child, instead of shared genes to create a "natural child" with the soul characteristics of its parents.
    LG: Bug Type Love
    E:
    HG: Bug Type Love
    SS: New Game Dream Team:
    Black:
    Black 2: Bug Type Love

I never understand how slowking can be female I mean his name is slowking
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

Quote Originally Posted by !jirachi! View Post
    I also get disturbed by female Machokes...

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hankka View Post
    they can be female... after taking steriods

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

Genderless Pokemon.. Well, it would be hard imagoning Porygon, Metang or Cryagonal to have genders, imo.

I don't think it's always "genderless" so much as "gender unknown."
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

I don't really care about Gender in generally, I call every Pokemon "it" for the most part anyways, even the ones that only have one gender.

Which means nothing really. Pretty sure there are Animals with "King"(Maybe even "Queen" and other words that are associated with gender) in their name, yet can be either gender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_mackerel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingbird
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsnake
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenfish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_snake

Quote Originally Posted by Hankka View Post
    Meh, there are females that can have a lot of muscles. The only thing with the Machop line is their breast, for humans it's seen social wrong(Or whatever) for females to have their breasts exposed where it's fine for males, I think they should have just slapped a bra onto female Machop lines.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Genderless pokemon make me mad. Meloetta = girl. I just know it. xD
    ~Working on getting a sig~

Or one really creepy guy...
    LG: Bug Type Love
    E:
    HG: Bug Type Love
    SS: New Game Dream Team:
    Black:
    Black 2: Bug Type Love

haha just noticed nidoran(m) is genderless

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

While there is nothing wrong with the concept of genderless pokemon, their presentation is more often than not rather confusing. For one thing, the fact that they can breed with Ditto but not with themselves is rather stupid in my opinion. What, if they don't find a Ditto they go extinct? The second thing is legendaries, which are genderless for no physically justified reason for the most part. So what, Moltres can't reproduce normally but Heatran can? I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but there isn't anything sensible about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMasterCait View Post
    I think it's kind of silly to have genderless pokemon...I never thought about the breeding part of it before..It just always bothered me that Mew especially is genderless... :/ I really want to know their reasoning behind genderless pokemon...
    It's to stop people from breeding legendaries.

haha just noticed nidoran(m) is genderless
    What do you mean by this exactly? It's a Male only species.

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    While there is nothing wrong with the concept of genderless pokemon, their presentation is more often than not rather confusing. For one thing, the fact that they can breed with Ditto but not with themselves is rather stupid in my opinion. What, if they don't find a Ditto they go extinct? The second thing is legendaries, which are genderless for no physically justified reason for the most part. So what, Moltres can't reproduce normally but Heatran can? I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but there isn't anything sensible about it either.
    Them not being able to breed with one another is probably due to the fact they have no way to reproduce, Ditto gives them their break as it can copy their DNA and as such can probably just produce an egg of it's own for the species.

Legendary Pokemon being genderless could be more of a "unknown gender" kind of deal, Legendary are rare and as such it may have not been easy for those who study on Pokemon to find out what their gender is. Also, Heatran can't breed, the only Legendary capable of breeding is Manaphy and Phione(Which the former only makes the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWarrior View Post
    It's to stop people from breeding legendaries.
    Oh... I can't believe I never thought of that. It makes sense...
    I always kind of assumed that it was so that you weren't almost forced to have a Pokemon of a gender you didn't think it should be. A good example of that for me would be Mew. I always think that Mew should be a girl, I don't know why, I just do.

That's how I always thought of it, but I think that they don't want you breeding legendaries makes a lot more sense. xD

Quote Originally Posted by MuseHarmonia View Post
    Genderless pokemon make me mad. Meloetta = girl. I just know it. xD
    Exactly!!! Heck! Even the anime advertises it with Oshawotts crush on her!
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    I think the reason Moltres is genderless is because it's one of a kind. Heatran isn't, since there is one for each volcano.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    What do you mean by this exactly? It's a Male only species.
    behind every pokemon's name is a gender icon. it's blue (male) or red (female)
    well nidoran(m) hasn't such a gender icon it has his gender icon in his name >.> how strange is that!?

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

behind every pokemon's name is a gender icon. it's blue (male) or red (female)
    well nidoran(m) hasn't such a gender icon it has his gender icon in his name >.> how strange is that!?
    Figure that's what you meant. The only reason that's the case is because it was given a gender in the first generation when genders weren't actually something any Pokemon had besides those two. Once the gender was fully implanted into the games in generation 2, they probably decided it would be redundant to have the male or female symbol for the Nidoran and just figured it would be best to let them have the symbol in the name so they have something unique to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    Figure that's what you meant. The only reason that's the case is because it was given a gender in the first generation when genders weren't actually something any Pokemon had besides those two. Once the gender was fully implanted into the games in generation 2, they probably decided it would be redundant to have the male or female symbol for the Nidoran and just figured it would be best to let them have the symbol in the name so they have something unique to them.
    didn't know these thing. and yea it's kinda cool pokemon with genders in their name. But why didn't game freak change that in gen 2 when gender's were introduced?

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

didn't know these thing. and yea it's kinda cool pokemon with genders in their name. But why didn't game freak change that in gen 2 when gender's were introduced?
    Like I said, they probably just wanted to keep them with their uniqueness so they just left the symbol in their name.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345