Thread: Writer's Block

Default Writer's Block

So I was writing a story that I already posted here. I typed like four chapters..... but I started to lose motivation to type the fifth one. I mean, I wrote the outline and the sypnosis for the fifth chapter.

So, is there any way to let myself to write a fifth one without force? Because like I originally typed the fourth one a month ago, but for the fifth one, it felt as if I didn't want to enjoy typing it.
    Last edited by Quilava42; 30th December 2012 at 7:03 PM.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

There's two types of writer's block. There's the type where you genuinely can't think of any ideas, which is what most people have fountains of advice for. The second type, your type, is less creativity block and more you just don't have motivation.

It's key to know the difference because the solution for the second type is actually very simple, and that's probably why most people don't spout advice for it. Think of it like this: when there's something you really don't want to do, what do you do?

What I'm trying to say is you've got two choices, and both are going to sound counterproductive. If you feel like you need to get the chapter written, you really have no choice but to buckle down, ignore the motivation block, and work through it. No matter how you think about it or what you do in addition to it (like play music to get you motivated or review the outline again and again), the heart of it is you're pushing yourself to work anyway.

The second option is to take a break. Yes, it's been a month since you've written new material, but if you really can't push yourself to write and don't want to do so, then you don't have to. Work on more side projects. Do something else in real life. Come back to it later when you miss it and feel ready to work on it.

Of course, if it still feels like a chore, then chances are it's not a fic you should be working on. Fanfic is in part something you do because you like doing it. (Don't get me started on the other parts that exist just as a disclaimer against people who do what they want in fanfiction because they think they can. That's an entirely different subject anyway.) If you don't enjoy doing it, then it's rather silly to keep doing it. It's perfectly A-OK to discontinue a work and start on another fic or another field of fan-created work that catches your interest more.

Point is, you really have two options. If you like the fic, you can push yourself to work, but that puts you at risk of hating writing it. If you don't really care, you can take a break or even discontinue it and start up a new project, but... yeah, that'd be discontinuing the work. Neither answer is probably one you want to hear, but motivation block is really one of those nasty, unpleasant conditions that don't really have much of a pleasant answer.

Good luck!

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

True to your case. If you check my original novel, my chapters are on constant edit due to having writer's block myself. But right now, I got 23 out of 60 chapters done. I couldn't find any inspiration for chapters 21 - 24. Just one week before christmas last year, I had an encounter where my mom's best friend is dying of High Blood Pressure. That tragic event gave me motivation to implement that tragedy to my entire fourth arc of my Original Feli Chroicles Novel.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I either wait for inspiration, or force it.

Inspiration comes from (for me) drawing, or yeah, my art. Video games, books, and just doing nothing and resting helps me too.

Forcing it makes less quality chapters, but gives me a sense of satisfaction, too. You can always go back and change it, anyways! Good luck!

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

I either wait for inspiration, or force it.
    I don't think you can really force inspiration. I mean, maybe it's just me but if I forced it then it gives me less of a reason to write.
    岩根雅明=♡