Thread: Pokemon Platinum RMT?

Default Pokemon Platinum RMT?

Hey guys, im gonna try my luck with platinum. I used to be the guy that breezed through the game with my starter. Not anymore. This time Im going to plan out a good team to make it easy for me on the road ahead(cause that damned Garchomp kept owning me). Here we go.

Infernape lv 100
    Blaze/Rash,Mild,Lonely, or Naughty
    Holding Brightpowder
    No EV training
    Close Combat
    Flamethrower
    Thunderpunch
    Grass Knot

Staraptor lv 100
    Intimidate/Adamant,Lonely, or Naughty
    Holding Muscle Band
    No EV training
    Close Combat(love this move)
    Brave Bird
    U-Turn
    Steel Wing

Gastrodon(West Sea) lv 100
    Sticky Hold/Quiet, Mild, or Modest
    Holding Shell Bell
    No EVs
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power
    Sludge Bomb

Rotom(Fan) lv 100
    Levitate/Modest or Quiet
    Holding Quick Claw
    No EVs
    Air Slash
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderwave

Lucario lv 100
    Steadfast/Rash,Mild,Lonely, or Naughty
    Holding Wise Glasses
    No EVs
    Aura Sphere
    Dragon Pulse
    Rock Slide
    Iron Tail

Weavile lv 100
    Pressure/Lonely, Adamant, or Naughty
    Holding Scope Lens
    No Evs
    Ice Punch
    Night Slash
    X Scissor
    Brick Break

Basically, not EV training(as you can tell). All will be level 100 for the Elite 4 rematches(probably gonna train through them lol). I also plan on challenging the battle fronteir(lets see how much Evs really matter) afterwords. Anyway, as you can see Im flexible with natures since Ill allow multiple ones that dont cripple my best usable stats. So any improvements?
    I AM NERDZ! YOU SHALL OBEY ME OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES!

I think Im posting too many teams to rate lol

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosPMC View Post
    Hey guys, im gonna try my luck with platinum. I used to be the guy that breezed through the game with my starter. Not anymore. This time Im going to plan out a good team to make it easy for me on the road ahead(cause that damned Garchomp kept owning me). Here we go.

Infernape lv 100
    Holding Brightpowder
    No EV training
    Close Combat
    Flamethrower
    Thunderpunch
    Grass Knot

Consider U-Turn and/or a Rock type move. Grass Knot is unreliable for Water types and you already have Thunderpunch for them and Close Combat for Rocks. All there's left is ground types, which you can hit for roughly as much damage with your STAB than you will with super-effective grass knot unless they're very heavy. Finally, consider Fire Blast over Flamethrower as you're going mixed without any boosting move. But that's personal.

Staraptor lv 100
    Holding Muscle Band
    No EV training
    Brave Bird
    U-Turn
    Steel Wing

Steel Wing kills Rock and Ice, and you already have Close Combat for them. Return for a strong STAB tha doesn't give you recoil, or Roost to directly mitigate Brave Bird's recoil are both solid options.

Holding Shell Bell
    No EVs
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power
    Sludge Bomb

Sludge Bomb is pointless, only hitting Grass types super-effectively which are already covered by Ice Beam. Go with Toxic or Recover or any other decent support move for a slow bulky poke.

Rotom(Fan) lv 100
    Levitate/Modest or Quiet
    Holding Quick Claw
    No EVs
    Air Slash
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderwave

This is pretty ok, though its usable speed and the presence of Thunder Wave make Quick Claw pretty useless as a held item.

Lucario lv 100
    Holding Wise Glasses
    No EVs
    Aura Sphere
    Dragon Pulse
    Rock Slide
    Iron Tail

Once again Iron Tail is not worth a slot, 100 power with 75 accuracy is a pretty bad deal. If you really want STAB go with Flash Cannon, but since you lack a boosting poke, I'd rather go fully physical with a Swords Dance, Close Combat, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Crunch/Ice Punch/Extremespeed set. Whatever your decision is, ditch Iron Tail for something more useful and reliable, and remember that Dark Pulse only covers Dragons, which are hit harder by Ice Punch most of the time due to the frequent 4x weakness. You can use Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse as a special move to get perfect neutral coverage with Fighting.

Weavile lv 100
    Holding Scope Lens
    No Evs
    Ice Punch
    Night Slash
    X Scissor
    Brick Break

X-Scissor will be situational at best, as you already cover grass with ice, dark with fighting and psychic with dark. Get Swords Dance (good alternative to Lucario), or something like Ice Shard, Fake Out etc. If you really want extra coverage, go with Dig or Aerial Ace...

Basically, not EV training(as you can tell). All will be level 100 for the Elite 4 rematches(probably gonna train through them lol). I also plan on challenging the battle fronteir(lets see how much Evs really matter) afterwords. Anyway, as you can see Im flexible with natures since Ill allow multiple ones that dont cripple my best usable stats. So any improvements?
    You got the patience to grind an ingame team to level 100 and not to EV train? it takes less time and it doesnt get you insanely overleveled.
    You will need EVs for the frontier because at higher stages your enemies will be EV trained. that, or expect getting constantly outsped/overpowered by stuff that's not normally supposed to do it...
    Last edited by edonub; 2nd January 2013 at 2:09 PM.

Yep. and honestly, you get way more out of EV training than you do for breeding for a positive nature, and usually spend less time doing it. so good luck.

Infernape lv 100
    Holding Brightpowder
    No EV training
    Close Combat
    Flamethrower
    Thunderpunch
    Grass Knot
    You're training it to become a mixed sweeper? I suggest to train it into a physical sweeper.

Nature suggestion: Adammant, or any that raises Attack or Speed (except Brave and Timid)

EV's suggestion: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Item suggestion: Shell Bell/Leftovers/Charcoal

Moveset suggestion:
    *replace Flamethrower with Flare Blitz
    *replace Grass Knot with Stone Edge
    *replace Thunderpunch with Swords Dance

Staraptor lv 100
    Holding Muscle Band
    No EV training
    Brave Bird
    U-Turn
    Steel Wing
    I would put another flying over Staraptor. We have Skarmory, Crobat, Xatu, etc. I have no suggestion to this moveset. I am not fan of normal/flying birds because they cannot properly cover the weakness to electric and ice. Anyways, if you want to keep it:

Nature suggestion: Adammant or any that raises Attack or Speed

EV's suggestion: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 6 Speed

Item suggestion: Muscle Band/King's Rock

Holding Shell Bell
    No EVs
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power
    Sludge Bomb
    Gastrodon goes well as special sweeper, but if is a special sweeper you're looking for. I recommend Milotic or Vaporeon. Training Gastrodon into a special sweeper, I cannot imagine a better moveset than the one you built.

Nature suggestion: Modest or any that lowers Attack

EV's suggestion: 252 Sp Atk, 252 HP, 6 Speed

Rotom(Fan) lv 100
    Levitate/Modest or Quiet
    Holding Quick Claw
    No EVs
    Air Slash
    Thunderbolt
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderwave
    Rotom is one of the worst ghosts in my viewpoint. His movepool isn't so large like other ghosts, just make a comparison with Gengar and Banette, for example. I have no suggestion for the moveset of this Rotom.

EV's suggestion: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Sp Def, 6 Spd

Item suggestion: Magnet, Spell Tag

Lucario lv 100
    Holding Wise Glasses
    No EVs
    Aura Sphere
    Dragon Pulse
    Rock Slide
    Iron Tail
    Nice Lucario. Lucario got large movepool, high Attack and Special Attack, so it can be trained either to become a physical, special or mixed sweeper. Lucario is a surprise!

Nature suggestion: Neutral

EV's suggestion: 252 Atk, 252 Sp Atk, 6 Spd

Item suggestion: Black Belt

Moveset suggestions:
    *why do you want Dragon Pulse? Replace it with Psychic to cover your weakness to fighting types
    *Rock Slide to cover weakness to fire types? Replace it with Earthquake if you still have TM26 left
    *Iron Tail is powerfull, but lacks on accuracy. Replace it with Shadow Ball

Weavile lv 100
    Holding Scope Lens
    No Evs
    Ice Punch
    Night Slash
    X Scissor
    Brick Break
    I am not a fan of dark/ice (Sneasel and Weavile) because of being 4x weak to fighting. Weavile's movepool doesn't include many powerful physical moves. Ice Punch, Night Slash and Brick Break are respectively 75, 70, 75 of power base. X-Scissor is the strongest with 80 power base, but it is not stab and doesn't cover any of its weaknesses (fire, bug, rock, steel, fighting). I would replace Weavile with another Pokemon. No suggestions for its moveset.

Nature suggestion: Adammant or any that lowers Sp Attack

EV's suggestion: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Item suggestion: Nevermeltice

Quote Originally Posted by edonub View Post
    You got the patience to grind an ingame team to level 100 and not to EV train? it takes less time and it doesnt get you insanely overleveled.
    You will need EVs for the frontier because at higher stages your enemies will be EV trained. that, or expect getting constantly outsped/overpowered by stuff that's not normally supposed to do it...
    I see your point but I dont really like breeding that much(always a gamble and hatching eggs takes awhile), so say for example I get my Chimchar. Hes got the right nature and everything. Then boom! A bunch of required trainer fights. How can I EV train properly when to get to a specific point, it would have already gotten some unplanned and not useful EVs. After thinking, I calculated you could waste only 2 EVs before screwing your training over. Then, when I finally get to a point where there's an Abra, it flees before I kill it, are encountered rarely. Budew is an option but its not going to appear 50% of the time or anything. Then by some ungodly force, I gain the patience to train anyway, and I have an unfair advantage, considering I'd have it at like LV 20 by the time I beat the first gym. But I see your logic, hope you see mine, and hopefully I can overcome my low patience. BTW nice suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    You're training it to become a mixed sweeper? I suggest to train it into a physical sweeper.

Nature suggestion: Adammant, or any that raises Attack or Speed (except Brave and Timid)

EV's suggestion: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Item suggestion: Shell Bell/Leftovers/Charcoal

Moveset suggestion:
    *replace Flamethrower with Flare Blitz
    *replace Grass Knot with Stone Edge
    *replace Thunderpunch with Swords Dance

I would put another flying over Staraptor. We have Skarmory, Crobat, Xatu, etc. I have no suggestion to this moveset. I am not fan of normal/flying birds because they cannot properly cover the weakness to electric and ice. Anyways, if you want to keep it:

Nature suggestion: Adammant or any that raises Attack or Speed

EV's suggestion: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 6 Speed

Gastrodon goes well as special sweeper, but if is a special sweeper you're looking for. I recommend Milotic or Vaporeon. Training Gastrodon into a special sweeper, I cannot imagine a better moveset than the one you built.

EV's suggestion: 252 Sp Atk, 252 HP, 6 Speed

Rotom is one of the worst ghosts in my viewpoint. His movepool isn't so large like other ghosts, just make a comparison with Gengar and Banette, for example. I have no suggestion for the moveset of this Rotom.

EV's suggestion: 252 Sp Atk, 252 Sp Def, 6 Spd

Item suggestion: Magnet, Spell Tag

Nice Lucario. Lucario got large movepool, high Attack and Special Attack, so it can be trained either to become a physical, special or mixed sweeper. Lucario is a surprise!

Nature suggestion: Neutral

EV's suggestion: 252 Atk, 252 Sp Atk, 6 Spd

Item suggestion: Black Belt

Moveset suggestions:
    *why do you want Dragon Pulse? Replace it with Psychic to cover your weakness to fighting types
    *Rock Slide to cover weakness to fire types? Replace it with Earthquake if you still have TM26 left
    *Iron Tail is powerfull, but lacks on accuracy. Replace it with Shadow Ball

I am not a fan of dark/ice (Sneasel and Weavile) because of being 4x weak to fighting. Weavile's movepool doesn't include many powerful physical moves. Ice Punch, Night Slash and Brick Break are respectively 75, 70, 75 of power base. X-Scissor is the strongest with 80 power base, but it is not stab and doesn't cover any of its weaknesses (fire, bug, rock, steel, fighting). I would replace Weavile with another Pokemon. No suggestions for its moveset.

Nature suggestion: Adammant or any that lowers Sp Attack

EV's suggestion: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Item suggestion: Nevermeltice
    How about an Absol? Dark type, same ability, decent speed, great move diversity, less weaknesses and can cover them, and can get better usages on those EVs.

Well You can EV train at the beginning of the game if you have the patience, and you're not overpowered because even if you have all 510 EVs already invested at lv 10, ( just a random low level, nothing specific) they don't all add at one time, they're distributed all the way until lv 100. So you're not going to be super over powered and breeze through the game, you'll just have a slight advantage in the game, and then don't have to farm EV berries and train later, or even worse, rebreed and completely re-train your team if you decide to go to the battle frontier or do wi-fi battling.