Thread: azumanga daioh

Default azumanga daioh

ok I know I am probably gonna get a lot of weird looks for posting this from the more judgmental people here, but I figured what the heck and post an older anime on here (even if it isn't action)

so yeah just go ahead and talk about whatever you want about this show as long as it is at least semi-mature and doesn't get this thread closed like oh say 2 days later
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

You know, this isn't directed specifically at you, but it's much easier to talk about something if there's more to the opening post than "talk about this kthnxbai".

I consider Azumanga Daioh to be my gateway anime. I think it was the first subbed anime I watched, and I loved the characters as well as the comedy. No other character in anime has quite been able to capture Osaka's lovable spacey nature as far as I remember. Oddly enough, I also felt drawn to Sasaki's quest to find a cat to love. It is a comedy at heart, but it's also a very well-rounded series.

This was an early scene that made me fall in love with the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTMLpMgX-NA
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    You know, this isn't directed specifically at you, but it's much easier to talk about something if there's more to the opening post than "talk about this kthnxbai".[/url]
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reference hopefully I'll think of a good way to fix that opening post
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Quote Originally Posted by pokedigijedi View Post
    ok I know I am probably gonna get a lot of weird looks for posting this from the more judgmental people here, but I figured what the heck and post an older anime on here (even if it isn't action)
    You clearly haven't been in Alt. Anime long.

Anyway Azumanga Daioh is great. Jokes are the best part, but some of the timing can take too long and lessen the impact. Animation quality is also kinda bleh. Still, it's a classic and any anime fan should see it.

I'm probably in the small group that didn't like it

None of the jokes connected for me and I didn't like a lot of the characters
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

As if we'd make fun of someone because they like "old" anime.

Also lol@ the "even if it isn't action". I reckon if we got everyone who regularly posts here to post a top 5-10 anime, action would be in the minority.

Azumanga Daioh was pretty great, I only have one complaint about it. The author didn't like the way it was done (I know, crazy, right?) and as a result doesn't want Yotsubato! getting animated.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I prefer the manga for Azumanga Daioh anyways. I bought the Omnibus a few years after watching the anime and I laughed more at it than the show.

So I have a similar feeling. That Yotsuba&! wouldn't be as good. Then again, it's been a long time, anime has changed, it would probably get a better adaptation.

ha .. this is ridiculous if one is making mockery of some liking the old anime .. there is nothing like that you are joking upon but respect

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    So I have a similar feeling. That Yotsuba&! wouldn't be as good. Then again, it's been a long time, anime has changed, it would probably get a better adaptation.
    I remember seeing one of those fake charts early last year, and it had Yotsubato! Getting animated by KyoAni. How awesome that would be if it happened.
    My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    I remember seeing one of those fake charts early last year, and it had Yotsubato! Getting animated by KyoAni. How awesome that would be if it happened.
    I saw way too many people getting tricked by that.

Yeah. Okay. Brain's Base is doing a sequel to Spice and Wolf, Baccano!, and Durarara!!. All on one season. Sure.

My favourite is at the bottom of practically every fake chart. It has a FMP, and simply says "You know it's a fake chart when you see another season of FMP."
    My Anime List

My favourite is at the bottom of practically every fake chart. It has a FMP, and simply says "You know it's a fake chart when you see another season of FMP."
    I hate that that's true...

The author didn't like the way it was done (I know, crazy, right?) and as a result doesn't want Yotsubato! getting animated.
    I figured the author didn't feel like Yotsuba&! would work animated (similar to Bill Watterson disproving of Calvin and Hobbes being animated), which I can believe. There are just some things that work well animated and others that don't. Yotsuba&! is adorable and I would love to see it animated at some point, but it does work very well as a manga that I don't think an animated adaptation would do it justice without a really good director.

Anyhoo, I love Azumanga Daioh, though I haven't sat down to rewatch it in a couple of years (but I have a volume of the manga, so I'm good xD). I watched it dubbed on YouTube, and I remember losing it when Yukari took her student's bike in the first episode. It was that moment where I knew I was going to love the show, it hooked me in very quickly. I really love the characters in the show, they were the heart and soul (as should every show), and it took me back to high school almost immediately. I guess it helped that I had graduated high school a year before, so I still remembered how it felt to be with friends and just goofing around and talking about whatever. I would love to get the DVD, but it's freaking expensive, and it makes me sad. Did the license for the show run out by any chance?

And since watching the show, Mr. Kimura has become my favorite pervert--or at least the only pervert I can honestly 100% tolerate because he's so damn funny.

Opening homage time! Cake for you! Penguin Kirby kills you! <- No really.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Sakaki is the breast character.

This was actually my first slice of life/comedy anime and I loved every second of it. It isn't funnier than Nichijou but it's awesome in it's own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    And since watching the show, Mr. Kimura has become my favorite pervert--or at least the only pervert I can honestly 100% tolerate because he's so damn funny.
    "BECAUSE I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS OKAY?!"

Opening homage time! Cake for you! Penguin Kirby kills you! <- No really.
    Best version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Sakaki is the breast character.
    Truth. Anyone who says otherwise is a communist or something.

I watched that anime last year. It was a pretty neat slice-of-life anime. The scene with Osaka and Chiyo's "dad" in one of episodes was funny.

The scene where Nyamo gets drunk is funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFRmwQ_T23s

for me what i love about this anime i think its chiyo and sakaki (they were my favorite characters btw)
    chiyo despite her cuteness chibi mode, she seems to be a bit smart to me while sakaki is the neko girl(she loves cats)
    and i also love the cat (whatever her name is) keep biting on the finger on a character cause it always make me laugh.

I loved Tomoe and Osaka. Those two were comedic genius.