Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball series discussion

I think Goku vs Freiza took about 30. I'm not sure, but it took a long time though. So did Gohan vs Cell, but not as many episodes.

Gohan vs Cell was so interesting I remember being 8 years old and sneaking out of my room to watch it because it was past my bed time lol
    Walker Sleepover

Dragon Ball Z was probably the 1st Anime I ever watched as a kid. That or Sailor Moon which I also loved. Hey what do you expect? It was a series about high school girls in mini-skirts fighting demons. I was just a kid with developing hormones at the time. XD

But yeah DBZ was always awesome to watch. Especially after coming back from a crappy day in school then catching Toonami in the late afternoons to night. Yeah those were the days... when I watch it now as an adult there is definitely a lot of flaws I can find with it such as some of the obvious plot holes with the writing. Though I still love it for the animation and the over the top fighting. My favorite Saga is the Android Saga and my favorite character is Gohan. I especially loved him in the short Great Saiyaman Saga. It was freakin hilarious.

I also loved the original Dragonball for its comedy and light-hearted tone. GT however I'm not a big fan of. I remember watching it years ago with friends and I was very disappointed with almost every episode. Hell I even thought the ending was stupid. Overall it just wasn't a satisfying way to end the Dragonball series for me.

As for DBZ Kai I do think its quite good. I'm not sure if I like it more than the original but I do like the fact that its gets straight to the point unlike the original series. I actually prefer their version of the Frieza Vs. Goku fight more than the original. My only problem with Kai is that I wish it would have just redrawn the animation from scratch instead of having to cut and splice the old one. The reason why I say that is because Fist Of The North Star and Fullmetal Alchemist did precisely that and ended up with great results. If Kai had a fresh new coat of paint I think it would have stood out even more.

I guess that's all I need to say. I am looking foward to the upcoming DBZ movie just for the simple fact that there is going to be a fight above planet Earth!

Cool

DRAGONBALL Z ROCKS!!!! although i hate to admit i am one of those people who consider gt non canon.
    yep dbz even was made into an excellent abridged series by a group of geniuses named teamfourstar.
    personal i wish they would have made a sequel series to dbz where the other NON SAIYAN characters got redemption oh and hercule`s little secret was exposed and then he was killed off and NEVER REVIVED!!!
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Quote Originally Posted by pokedigijedi View Post
    although i hate to admit i am one of those people who consider gt non canon.
    Why would you hate to admit it? GT was a pile of crap aside from the music.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed GT. It was enjoyable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    Why would you hate to admit it? GT was a pile of crap aside from the music.
    actually im not sure why i said it. probably because id rather consider a piece of the dragonball franchise non canon since it is a part of my childhood. but other than i agree with you it was bad it was so unfairly unbalanced it wasnt even funny they might as well have killed off all the other characters and not revived them until the series finale if goku was the only thing that mattered in the battles.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Childhood or not, it doesn't make sense to feel bad about not considering that piece of the franchise non-canon when it officially isn't canon. The main canon ends with the manga's ending, and continues off to DBO's story. Toriyama doesn't recognize GT as being canon to his original story, so anyone that considers it canon at all is wrong no matter how stubborn they are and in the end, you not considering canon is right.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 21st January 2013 at 2:00 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Dragon Ball canon is just weird. There's no official canon, and yeah, Toriyama considers GT a "side-story" to the manga but... that doesn't make the series any less official or valid, especially with the (relatively) huge merchandising push Toei's been conducting with the DB Heroes game.

There's also the issue of who killed Cargot on Namek. In the manga, it was Freeza. In the anime, it was Dodoria. So the anime isn't merely some "expanded universe".

Like, the manga itself is fairly consistent (with a few rather notable plot holes in the Androids/Cell arc), but the anime is just... whew.

Follow Steven Stone on his journey from bored rich boy to hardened Champion! Click the link and let the adventure begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    Dragon Ball canon is just weird. There's no official canon, and yeah, Toriyama considers GT a "side-story" to the manga but... that doesn't make the series any less official or valid, especially with the (relatively) huge merchandising push Toei's been conducting with the DB Heroes game.

There's also the issue of who killed Cargot on Namek. In the manga, it was Freeza. In the anime, it was Dodoria. So the anime isn't merely some "expanded universe".

Like, the manga itself is fairly consistent (with a few rather notable plot holes in the Androids/Cell arc), but the anime is just... whew.
    Well, that's the thing. It's definitely official, but just because it's official doesn't make it valid to a specific canon, the main canon (manga). Toriyama has stated that DBO takes place after the manga's ending and that game totally disregards GT as whole.

What Toei considers canon is another matter. The anime canon is a total mess as it is, retconing filler and such even if the filler takes place a few episodes before it. Even the sequels of some of the movies clash with their prequels, and GT tries to shoehorn some of these movies into canon. It's completely safe to say that in terms of the anime, it's safe to disregard everything that isn't considered part of the manga when it comes to debates on the original story and such. At least by Toriyama (Burdock as a character, at least, exists in the manga to some extent so bits of his special may be taken into consideration). The massive amount of plot holes gives it a lot of dis-credibility.

It's kind of like Yuugiou, where the anime canon is a complete mess and the spin-off sequels and their stories/atmosphere don't fit at all in the manga's canon.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 21st January 2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

hey guys and gals if you could kill off any 1 character for good from dbz who woul it be?
    I know I already said this but I would kill off hercule.

I wouldn't kill off anyone, since I really don't hate anyone. Even though Hercule is physically useless, he did help save the world from Kid Buu.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi View Post
    Well, that's the thing. It's definitely official, but just because it's official doesn't make it valid to a specific canon, the main canon (manga). Toriyama has stated that DBO takes place after the manga's ending and that game totally disregards GT as whole.

What Toei considers canon is another matter. The anime canon is a total mess as it is, retconing filler and such even if the filler takes place a few episodes before it. Even the sequels of some of the movies clash with their prequels, and GT tries to shoehorn some of these movies into canon. It's completely safe to say that in terms of the anime, it's safe to disregard everything that isn't considered part of the manga when it comes to debates on the original story and such. At least by Toriyama (Burdock as a character, at least, exists in the manga to some extent so bits of his special may be taken into consideration). The massive amount of plot holes gives it a lot of dis-credibility.

It's kind of like Yuugiou, where the anime canon is a complete mess and the spin-off sequels and their stories/atmosphere don't fit at all in the manga's canon.
    Oh, I definitely agree that the manga is the only definite canon. I just disagree with the idea that GT is explicitly non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    I wouldn't kill off anyone, since I really don't hate anyone. Even though Hercule is physically useless, he did help save the world from Kid Buu.
    And Cell. Don't forget he threw #16's head over to Gohan.

Follow Steven Stone on his journey from bored rich boy to hardened Champion! Click the link and let the adventure begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    And Cell. Don't forget he threw #16's head over to Gohan.
    That too. How could I forget about something like that and I'm a major Android fan? xD

Dbz is one of my favourite shows of the 90's so nostalgic

The only good thing about GT is the music. Seriously, OP 1 is fantastic.

So much hate for GT! It's just more of the same which was bad to begin with (but we ate it up as kids).
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Stop hating on good shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Stop hating on good shows.
    Well I liked it as kid, now I'm embarrassed and think it's rubbish.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

i think that it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if Goten was killed, forcing Trunks to grow up into the same type of character as Future Trunks.

I'd love to watch another anime-like DBZ come out.
    Pokemon White 2_Hours: 714_Medals: 247/255_National Catcher 647/649 Missing Manaphy, Shaymin
    Pokemon X_Shiny_Octillery_Alomomola_Clawitzer x2_Goldeen_Luvdisc_Quilfish x4_Magicarp_Gyrados

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    The only good thing about GT is the music. Seriously, OP 1 is fantastic.
    i really loved the ending myself i thought it was a great way to end the show. with Goku saying goodbye to everyone, sparring with Krillen one last time, And telling piccolo how good of a friend he was.

i found Gt very entertaining and liked how it showed what happened to the z fighters that slacked off. which is why Gohan Goten and Trunks are weaker. btw i love all three of the characters
    My Pokemon Teams
    Pokemon Platinum Version

Pokemon Black Version 2

I'm an Atheist and I'm proud to be one if you are one too paste this in your signature

GT for me is only tolerable with the Japanese score over the English dub and I dont think I could get through it otherwise. I'm also partial to the Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku opening.

Default are they going to bring the rest of dbz out

does anyone know if kia is really coming out with more episodes i read it on google some where but they could be lying and can you post a pic of any body on tne db series even gt and i love gt i do not like goku wearing pink fur and him being a kid and i hate pan and that stupid outfit Trunks wears

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast