Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever mistaken a characters gender?

Default Have you ever mistaken a characters gender?

Once I mistook Cheryll for a boy. Anyone else had those moments?

Saaatoshi!

I wasn't sure about Bugsy's gender at first. And I also thought that Tate & Liza were both girls.
        Spoiler:- Signature: 3DS FC & in-game character:

At first I thought that Colress was a girl, but I wasn't watching the trailer properly that time. (I also thought that Colress was going to replace Professor Juniper as well.) I also thought that Tate was a girl until I watched the anime.

~My Black team~

The userbar is made by Sworn Metalhead!
    The team pose is made by Eeveelover824!
    I have claimed the PS1 game Crash Bandicoot!

Nope, although there is a little exception to Anabel where a lot were screwed.

Bugsy, and at first, i was a little confused when i got to falkner. xD

I always thought Liza & Tate were identical twin sisters until the PWT came along and called Tate a guy. But I suppose it's only natural - I never watched much of the Advanced Anime, and their genders are never directly referenced in the Gen III dialogue.

Seriously. All they ever do in Gen III is laugh and talk about how awesome they are at reading minds. Considering the circumstance and their visual similarities, it's not hard to mistake them as the same.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

The only time this happened was with Tate & Liza, the twins of the seventh gym of Hoenn.

I thought they both were female, but actually they're a couple. Tate is male, and Liza female.

I remember thinking Tate and Liza were both girls. Aah the memories.

Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

Silver, the rival in Gen 2.
    Mine is an unchanging love, higher than the heights above, deeper than the depths beneath, free and faithful, strong as death.

William Cowper, "Lovest Thou Me?" Olney Hymns

I choose my words carefully, but they may still hurt someone accidentally...

Marley, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

And, look you, there is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man who knows his business.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Images removed for making the signature too tall.

(Another post yay!) I mistook Ash's Snivy as a male.

Saaatoshi!

Outside of Tate and Liza, i have never made this particular mistake in a pokemon game..,
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

True. I remember confusing Tate and Liza's gender for a moment there
    . Pokemon Black FC : 2151 3135 7016

. Pokemon White 2 FC : 4814 6076 9041

. Pokemon Y FC : 3325 1707 2950
    | shiny pokemon caught (and bred) in Y : 36

Maddie's successful MM shinies in White 2
    . no shiny charm used .

Current shiny hunt: Torchic - 500+ eggs hatched

Spoiler:- MM results:

I thought Busy and Silver were girls.

Bugsy and Tate, yeah. I always mistook them for girls.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I also assumed Bugsy and Tate were girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I once thought Grimsley and Saturn were girls.
    岩根雅明=♡

I thought Saturn, Silver, and Roark were girls. :\

a very important video - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

I always think that Bugsy is a girl.
    I'll put something here...eventually

I only found out just now Liza and Tate aren't both girls due to this thread, even after seeing the episode with them in it long ago (I swear they both sounded like girls...) Time to rethink my childhood.

Also, Bugsy and Yellow
    Last edited by Sceptile Master; 24th December 2012 at 6:27 PM.
    Take it easy
    "See you next summer..."
    (S2 is coming out very soon!)
    I'm looking for an old piece of art I requested on here years ago and lost. It was a brown-haired girl with a pink wristband riding a Torterra. If you think you have this picture saved or have seen it somewhere please let me know and send it to me.

Bugsy stumped a lot of us lol. When I first played Pokemon Silver I thought he was a girl for sure.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

I think I mistook Cheren as a girl when he was first revealed.

I have claimed Alucard (Hellsing), Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji), and Laguna Loire (Final Fantasy VIII).
    Hellsing, Street Fighter, The Elder Scrolls, Dangan Ronpa, Bleach, Homestuck, Black Butler, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica fan.
    Sig made by Izagar.
    3DS FC: 3738 0398 8876 Mikan
    Friend Safari: Ground (Wooper, Camerupt, and Palpitoad)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    Actually I'm back b/c I plugged in my amp and playing one note when my grandpa came in and told me to stfu

So now I'm just sitting here stroking my guitar while naked

I don't remember a lot of these, but I think I could agree to the Tate and Liza thing. I figured they were a pair of sisters as well. I actually think I got a pass on Bugsy and Harley because I read about them before actually seeing them. Bugsy in one of Tracey West's novelizations of anime episodes, and Harley in Dogasu's episode reviews.

What I do remember happening is mistaken assumptions on certain pokémons' genders in the video games. Some people tend to assume pokémon as male by default if they don't take a hard look at at their gender on the card or whatever. I have memories of my cousin referring to my female lotad as "he", and I actually assumed a female electrike I caught was male in Sapphire. Cue my hurriedly rushing to the Name Rater to change "Sparky"'s name to "Sparka". At least electrike are caught right by Slateport, so he was real close, right?
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Definitely Bugsy. I was so convinced Bugsy was a girl until the recent advent of the internet. O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Master View Post
    Also, Bugsy and Yellow
    You're talking about during the Yellow series with Yellow herself, right? That was the point, she was disguising herself as a boy to go on an adventure to find Red. If you're talking about before or after, though, that'd be less understandable, especially with that long ponytail.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    I don't remember a lot of these, but I think I could agree to the Tate and Liza thing. I figured they were a pair of sisters as well. I actually think I got a pass on Bugsy and Harley because I read about them before actually seeing them. Bugsy in one of Tracey West's novelizations of anime episodes, and Harley in Dogasu's episode reviews.

What I do remember happening is mistaken assumptions on certain pokémons' genders in the video games. Some people tend to assume pokémon as male by default if they don't take a hard look at at their gender on the card or whatever. I have memories of my cousin referring to my female lotad as "he", and I actually assumed a female electrike I caught was male in Sapphire. Cue my hurriedly rushing to the Name Rater to change "Sparky"'s name to "Sparka". At least electrike are caught right by Slateport, so he was real close, right?
    Speaking of confusing Pokemon genders, I was (and still am) positively baffled by the decision to make Braviary and Mandibuzz male only and female only, neither really looks distinctly gender specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal Zero View Post
    Definitely Bugsy. I was so convinced Bugsy was a girl until the recent advent of the internet. O.o
    I really thought he was a girl too. But I figured it out eventually... obviously. xD He is very androgynous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast