View Poll Results: Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 17.33%
  • No

62 82.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

Default Are Pokemon designs getting lazy?

People often point to the the Vanillite line and Trubbish line as examples of this but in reality all gens have their lazy Pokemon designs.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

What your signature is evolving? dun dun dun dun dun duuuuuun your signature has evolved into BEEN HEAR AWHILE. What do you want to nickname it? I'LL BE BACK!

I can't wait for Pokemon X and Y
        Spoiler:- shinys to date:

Arcanine the LEGENDARY Pokemon FTW
    GEN 3 RSE are still the BEST!!

No way ! the fact that Sugimori still does the art tells you how passionate he is towards each poke design. Heck I think they gave as much as thought to each gen 5 poke as they did to gen 1. Not all designs should be cool you know. They have to have some gimmick pokemon, some cute ones, some normal ones and some powerful ones. Due to their nature some designs say not appeal to everyone. But, you cant say a design is lazy.
    I love vanillite and my bro loves garbador ( probably coz he is so dirty )

A dozen of Pokemon you dislike and you say the Pokemon serie is getting lazy? Of course not. Pokemon surprised the majority of fans by now and will surprise even more further. Just don't expect to like all the Pokemons they'll create, it's predictable that the design of some will disturb you.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 2nd January 2013 at 3:33 PM.

I know earlier gens had bad ideas for pokemon, but I just can't get over the fact the really based a pokemon off ice cream.
    1st X run:

Quote Originally Posted by Change is good View Post
    People often point to the the Vanillite line and Trubbish line as examples of this but in reality all gens have their lazy Pokemon designs.
    You just answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by SimH8 View Post
    but I just can't get over the fact the really based a pokemon off ice cream.
    But you're fine with eggs, piles of sludge, and magnets, of course.

I'd say that Sugimori wanted to make these Pokemon(though he didn't even make the Trubbish line). Creativity comes in hand. What matters is if you enjoy them, not by their designs. And really, if they are lazy, then they shouldn't even be official Pokemon then.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Vanillite and Trubbish just get exaggerated to be uncreative, lazy, running out of ideas, etc... none of which is the case, they are simply less used concepts, but there still has been Pokemon based on food as well as gross things. Vanillite and Trubbish are just proof that Pokemon is still able to use new things each time and make it work, everyone may not like them for whatever personal reason, but it's irrelevant, no Pokemon is universally liked, each one will have at least one person who doesn't like it to some degree.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

My opinion..;Please don't be rude and my apologies if this may be disagreeable just for future notice, Okay I feel like the pokémon are getting sloppy...truth is..not really their best work..I look back at the gens before the 5th gen and seem...just plain..you know... I agree that pokémon from the past weren't as great as well like the egg xP

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartCookiesMunchMunch View Post
    My opinion..;Please don't be rude and my apologies if this may be disagreeable just for future notice, Okay I feel like the pokémon are getting sloppy...truth is..not really their best work..I look back at the gens before the 5th gen and seem...just plain..you know... I agree that pokémon from the past weren't as great as well like the egg xP
    Um, explain which ones were plain and why? I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about~

Quote Originally Posted by IHeartCookiesMunchMunch View Post
    It's a matter of personal perception, people are going to like different things or simply lose interest(And it's really usually the latter). When it comes down to it though, each generation introduces at least 100 new Pokemon, there's going to be a bunch of diversity. Each generation has Pokemon with different concepts put into it, simple, complex, different/weird and they each add a few to each.

There's really nothing wrong with any of the Pokemon designs though, people are just always going to like and dislike all of the designs is all.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I honesty don't really care. There just designs, big deal. That doesn't separate the fact that just like their older designs, they are just creatures with elemental powers and design aspects.
    I feel like I'm the only person in this planet who doesn't really care if the pokemon is old or new. They're still imaginary creatures made by Gamefreak and I feel like this debate of "designs are different" is utterly pointless and is not worth your time at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    There's really nothing wrong with any of the Pokemon designs though, people are just always going to like and dislike all of the designs is all.
    Yes, Pokemon is most a matter of like and dislike. Some people like Trubbish and Vanillite, for example.

Maybe, it is easier to accept a Pokemon as young as you are.

It's natural to people who play the game for more time to think that the new Pokémon are not as good as the old ones. I mean, most people from here have grown up with the Gen I Pokémon. But the design is not getting lazy. It would be lazy if they lacked details and seemed like made in a rush, but they probably took a while to be drawn. Even ugly designs, such as Trubbbish, had a lot of effort put into them.

And, about the inspiration: I don't see any problem with an ice-cream or thrash Pokkémon. We've had eggs, piles of sludge, magnets. Pokémon are not only animals, they're based on every type of thing that may or may not exist in the real world. Each region has its bad designs and cool designs. And, honestly, is not getting worse. Gen V has some of the most cool designs ever. I mean, Eeleektross, Serperior, Swanna, Reuniclus, Gigalith, Cofagrigus and others are just awesome
    Friend Safari
    Type: Poison
    Pokémon: Venomoth, Gloom, Drapion
    FC: 3969-5407-3750
    If you add me, please PM me so I can add you back

I find the whole notion of people who are sitting at their computers browsing a forum in between rounds of playing pokemon accusing full-time professional game developers of being "lazy" to be ludicrous.

Please look at zeckrom and reshiram com paired to other legendaries if anything there getting more complex

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    You just answered your own question.

But you're fine with eggs, piles of sludge, and magnets, of course.
    I did kind of acknowledge "earlier gens had bad ideas for pokemon" :P
    1st X run:

Quote Originally Posted by SimH8 View Post
    I did kind of acknowledge "earlier gens had bad ideas for pokemon" :P
    You acknowledge that other generations had equal shortcomings, but single out Gen V anyway?

No. If anything, I think they are getting more effort put into them.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

The amount of rehashing they've been doing lately is a bit problematic, but aside from that, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I don't understand why people have a problem with those lines anyway. Are they implying that because they look so similar to an Ice cream cone and a Garbage bag that they are lazy? If that is the case, why does something have to be overly complex? Why can't some designs be basic looking. Or are they implying that they've seen it before? Then that is false because no where(in the Pokemon world at least) have they made something based off of garbage and ice cream.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

No, not really. Like other's have said, they're getting more complex. Take Munna, for example. It has actual flower markings on its body, and that alone is a significantly higher amount of detail than the amount found in the designs of Gens 1 and 2. Of course, this is mostly because of the newer and more powerful hardware that Game Freak has at its disposal, which allows them to include more intricate designs in their Pokemon.

Also, the Vanillite and Trubbish lines aren't nearly as, well, let's say "simple" as Electrode (the upside-down Voltorb, which is already just a two-colored ball with eyes), Dugtrio/Magneton (3 Diglett/Magnemite fused together), or Ditto (a pink blob with dots for eyes). Vanilluxe, on the other hand, has two faces, a straw-like protrusion that emits chilled air, a criss-cross pattern on its lower body, and crystals all over its upper body (with the ones on the back even coming together to form a smiley face).
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfitz View Post
    Please look at zeckrom and reshiram com paired to other legendaries if anything there getting more complex
    I agree. These 2 have to be the most complex and best designed legends to date.
    On another note, for those who dont like vanilluxe and trubbish's line, it's not that easy to think of pokemon like that. It is hard to make garbage look good and make ice cream more life like. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw vanilluxe for the first time in bw. I felt like it was the first time they made a new and unique type of ice poke.

"Lazy physical design" and "lazy concept" should really be differentiated. From what I see, Pokemon like the Vanilite line are accused by some of being in mainly the latter category. (It's "for an ice cream-themed Pokemon it was drawn lazily" vs "the idea of choosing an ice cream as a theme for Pokemon is lazy").
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

I misclicked and voted yes... ARGH!!!

> Vanilluxe and Trubbish have lazy pokemon concepts
    > Charizard the overused fire breathing dragon...
    > Problemo Solved.

Vanilluxe and Trubbish are quite creative. It's not everyday in RPGs that you see random ice cream monsters that blow ice and cute rubbish monsters right?

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Lazy? That's not my problem. I think the legendaries are too "over the top" now. I'm kind of tired of dragons who rule time and space. Legendaries used to be simple birds or dogs with a deep story and lore. That's mainly what I miss - the simplicity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast