Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    PSY the one hit wonder who?

Already Top 10 on numerous iTunes charts
    My country being one of those that have it in the Top 10

While the song itself is garbage, I give props to Psy for knowing where his strengths lie - in his ability to create great music videos. It's not a particularly interesting song, but the music video is hilarious, he created another simple dance like GS had and it was just enjoyable to watch to make up for the fact that it wasn't really enjoyable to listen to.

It looks like this is gonna be our second real test of Billboard's new YouTube formula. In the US, the song isn't high enough on iTunes and doesn't have enough airplay to warrant a strong debut on the Hot 100; however, he broke records by getting 22 million views in less than a day, and a lot of those are probably US watchers, so how high of a debut will his huge YouTube numbers get him?
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Yea just saw it on the UK i tuntes chart there at #9. No doubt it will climb and probably get to #1. You can see PSYs video budget has increased a little too. But lets face it, its unlikely that Gentleman will emulate gangnam styles success, it will sell, but i dont see another global invasion happening. But believe it or not, its a good try at following gangnam style.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Quote Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
    Lol Im not surprised that Bruno's new song reached #1 I mean it had a iTunes discount and every thing so whats so surprising about it?? I really dont like the song personally it just sounds like many of his other songs but congrats on getting another #1 I guess. I really wanted Ariana's song to be a smash hit but it barely made the top ten which is too bad. I hope P!nk gets another #1 I just think her song deserves it
    I think his song had a radio deal or some thing too at least thats what I heard. Regardless I think the song is just ok but I don't think it deserves outstanding success.

Since when did having a second top ten song mean you weren't a one hit wonder?? I must've missed some thing lol. The song itself is **** just like his previous one IMO but the video is kind of cool. It's fun and not too serious but I don't think it's gonna be a huge hit unless it gets a ton of promo and even then I don't think it'll be another internet sensation but I'll leave it at that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty-Skitty View Post
    Since when did having a second top ten song mean you weren't a one hit wonder??
    Well simply put, if you have more than one hit, you can't be called a one hit wonder. In just over one day of being released, Gentleman has reached the Top 10 of multiple countries and has gained over 32 million views. That's clearly a hit, and because it's his second one, he's not a one hit wonder.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Well simply put, if you have more than one hit, you can't be called a one hit wonder. In just over one day of being released, Gentleman has reached the Top 10 of multiple countries and has gained over 32 million views. That's clearly a hit, and because it's his second one, he's not a one hit wonder.
    I was kinda of wishing for him to be a one-hit wonder. I was at least hoping Gotye would have a second hit before him. STIUTK >>>>>>>>> Gangnam Style + Gentleman

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

IF Gentleman debuts at number one due to Youtube I will burn Billboard down.

Meanwhile, Emblem3 released their debut single "Chloe". I am beyond disappointed. I think it sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgdMDCJ-28A
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post

Meanwhile, Emblem3 released their debut single "Chloe". I am beyond disappointed. I think it sucks.

Could I have a link to the billboard charts please? I want to spam likes for other songs to try and keep Gentleman under #10.

It's unfair that just because Psy is a more renown Korean artist that he gets his music more endorsed than other Korean artists. He makes me ashamed of my Asian-ness with his rudeness and idiocy in that MV.
    Looking for:
    - 5-6 IV Beldum Family Member (Non-English)
    - HA Fletchling Family Member
    - Drifloon Family Member (Non-English)

Assuming that the YouTube tracking week ends on a Sunday like the digital sales week ends, then I don't think it will debut at #1. As of Sunday night, it had 32 million international views. Out of those 32 mil, I'd say probably around 15 million came from the US. Even if Billboard is using a 1 view = 1 point formula, then 15 million streaming points isn't enough to warrant a #1 debut. Harlem Shake lost the #1 spot when it had 20 million streams, a bigger sales number and a bigger airplay number.

However, regardless of whether it debuts at #1 this week, it's shooting straight up to #1 next week. It's at 70 million views right now, and I'd say a good 30-35 million of those are coming from the US alone.

Well, it's not like they were ever good to begin with...

Surprisingly though, I'm actually kind of happy that it's doing well on iTunes so far (it was at #27 last time I checked). This proves that X Factor can in fact make genuinely popular artists, so when Fifth Harmony releases their masterpiece of a first single, it should do well too.

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    I was at least hoping Gotye would have a second hit before him. STIUTK >>>>>>>>> Gangnam Style + Gentleman
    I hoped for it too, but his record label is extremely disorganized. He released "Eyes Wide Open" only to alternative when it could have done well on pop purely by following the hype that STIUTK had created. Then he planned on releasing "State Of The Art" as a single, but that would have been a horrendous single choice and his label probably figured that out, so it was never released and he never released anything else to replace it.
    Last edited by Silent Conversation; 15th April 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Meh, I like it, it's catchy .

I wouldn't call it terrible. it's “meh" at best. but I gotta say that it's clever of them to sing about that girl that guys don't want, because that's how every girl from their fan base probably feels, so the song will probably make them some green.

about this song and I swear I didn't read this anywhere did anybody think, even for a second, that they're singing about X-Factor host Khloë Kardashian Odom? think about it: her sister (Kim) is the one that most guys want. maybe they want Khloë???

Credit to Brutaka

Pfft, Emblem3's song >>> Gentleman. Gentleman relates way too much like Gangnam Style in rhythm and leg work in its dance.

Just Give Me A Reason is one of the best collabs in P!nk and pop/pop rock history IMO. It's a simple tune with really pure P!nk vocals and Nate's young, simple addition made this song great!
    Looking for:

The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (dated April 27th):

1. "Just Give Me A Reason" - P!nk ft. Nate Ruess (+2) (1st week @ #1!)
    2. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=)
    3. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars (-2)
    4. "Stay" - Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko (=)
    5. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton (+2)
    6. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z (-1)
    7. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake (+5)
    8. "Feel This Moment" - Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera (+2)
    9. "Started From The Bottom" - Drake (=)
    10. "Heart Attack" - Demi Lovato (+5)
    ------
    12. "Gentleman" - Psy (DEBUT)

Personal comments:
    -YAY FOR "JUST GIVE ME A REASON" HITTING #1! It's definitely one of my favourite P!nk songs if not my favourite, plus it gives Nate his second #1!
    -Assuming that WIWYM doesn't return to #1 (and it won't), then it's the first one week #1 since "Part Of Me", which was #1 over one year ago. Interesting how #1s are starting to reign for a lot longer
    -Woah, "Thrift Shop" has been in the Top 2 for FOURTEEN consecutive weeks! Good job M&RL, and for having two songs in the Top 5!
    -Didn't expect Heart Attack to make it into the Top 10 - I guess it got more Youtube views than I thought it would. Well, good for Demi, she deserved a Top 10 with GYHAB considering how huge it seemed to be, so at least this makes up for it
    -Oh god. "Gentleman" got 8.6 million streams... in two days. That means next week it's going to have way more than the 20 million that it needs to hit #1. Looks like we're going to have another "Harlem Shake"-like #1 reign just over a month afterwards
    -EDIT: Woah, I did not realize that Harlem Shake isn't in the Top 10! It's about time that washed up meme got out!
    Last edited by Silent Conversation; 17th April 2013 at 10:24 PM.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Yes! My favorite P!nk song since So What and Raise Your Glass.
    As for Justin Timberlake, I hope his song Mirrors becomes more popular than Suit and Tie.
    Can't Hold Us sounds better than decent in the way that this guy isn't using the same tunes like Psy.
    Speaking of Psy…

-Oh god. "Gentleman" got 8.6 million streams... in two days. That means next week it's going to have way more than the 20 million that it needs to hit #1.
    >Puts on murder face<
    We can't do anything about the video's view growth. We can only hope there's another K-Pop song to watch and override it in views.
    I say we watch this over and over and make it more popular than Gangnam style and Gentleman combined
    Looking for:

2. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (=)
    3. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars (-2)
    4. "Stay" - Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko (=)
    5. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton (+2)
    6. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z (-1)
    7. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake (+5)
    8. "Feel This Moment" - Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera (+2)
    9. "Started From The Bottom" - Drake (=)
    10. "Heart Attack" - Demi Lovato (+5)
    ------
    12. "Gentleman" - Psy (DEBUT)
    •well it's officially NOT unanimous in this thread: I don't care for JGMAR. I'm actually pretty surprised that it's #1. I haven't really liked any singles from fun. or P!nk's new album. meh :/
    •I'm starting to really like Macklemore. I want his new single to become #1. I really, really want that. but a certain Korean man my screw this up. wow, imagine if Macklemore loses the #1 to ANOTHER viral video. that would suck
    •I'm actually not surprised that Heart Attack is in the Top 10, because it's ALWAYS on the radio, and it's very popular right now. at first, I found it annoying, but now it's only of matter time that I download it
    •Hey, Psy! if you truly are a gentleman, then stay away from Macklemore; he owns the top

Credit to Brutaka

but a certain Korean man may screw this up.
    Yeah, I'm pretty mad Kim Jong Un might mess up the charts if he destroys the west coast and New York, too.

•Hey, Psy! if you truly are a gentleman, then stay away from Macklemore; he owns the top
    Amen! Psy needs to stop being endorsed fully and let better K-Pop artists trying to break into the American scheme have a chance. I hope Macklemore works hard to stay in the top ten for the next year or so with more good (and relateable) music.
    Looking for:

May as well rename this the Billboard hot 100 chart thread lol. I'm glad P!nk's new single topped the chart this week tho. It's just refreshing to see a good song top the charts for once. It will probably fall next week because of Psy's new song which will probably top the chart with its streaming points alone. I sincerely hope that Billboard changes its rules again because streaming seems to count for too much these days like for real.

well, for some non-Billboard related news because I forgot to subtlety insert this into my previous post Ke$ha has an MTV reality series coming out. idk when, nor do I care, because I am not a Ke$ha fan. (but I know she has stanners in this thread)

Credit to Brutaka

18. Default

well, for some non-Billboard related news because I forgot to subtlety insert this into my previous post Ke$ha has an MTV reality series coming out. idk when, nor do I care, because I am not a Ke$ha fan. (but I know she has stanners in this thread)
    Ke$ha isn't a fave of mine, but her trashy style and behavior will likely make this special a worthwhile watching endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Durian Seed View Post
    Ke$ha isn't a fave of mine, but her trashy style and behavior will likely make this special a worthwhile watching endeavor.
    She's not trrashy because she's different in artistic style. She's just unconventional by being hip and a better rapper than Nicki (refer to C'Mon especially). However, she could just turn down the glitter-overuse a bit.
    Looking for:

Finally, a number one that is actually good. Only took 18 weeks too.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Do Youtube views also count for streaming or is that seperate?

We Animal$ are taking over

So glad that my fav is getting some attention cuz she really needs some promotion for her new album. I was so excited for the possible new singles from Warrior until she said that her label wouldnt allow her to release the ballads which really sucks. Looks like shes gonna have to release more dance songs instead of her personal songs sigh

Warrior (Ke$ha's not B.A.P's) is a really good rebellion song and was surprised it didn't get too much attention as C'Mon. What is with American's and hard electro rebellious pop songs? Young, Wild, and Free by Wiz, Snoop, and Bruno Mars got lots of attention because it was a softer couldn't-give-a-c**p rebellion pop song, but why not electro, hip-hop pop songs. It's much more engaging than soft pop IMO.
    Looking for:

Okay, I hate will.i.am, but I did not him to be stealing ****ing entire parts of other music for his Justin Bieber credited album.
    hi

I don't think B.E.P will get back together. will.i.am's singles with Miley, Justin, Brtiney, Eva Simons, and Bom and CL from 2NE1 are horrible and he should just let the featred artists just have the song to themselves. His rap and autotuned "singing" destroys the song. I bet If Britney sung the whole Scream and Shout and will.i.am just worked the instrumentals, it would be even more of a hit.
    Looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by parasky View Post

Okay, I hate will.i.am, but I did not him to be stealing ****ing entire parts of other music for his Justin Bieber credited album.
    I'm not trying to defend will.i.am because I don't like his music either, but he almost definitely had permission from the original artists to use their music for his song. It's not like he actually stole it.

(If I happen to be wrong and he actually did use the song without permission, then I've lost the respect I already didn't have for him. But I doubt that's the case, sampling happens all the time)
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast