Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

I've been a Nicki Minaj fan since her mixtape days. She has really established herself as not only an artist, but a businesswoman. The reason everything is "pink" with her is because she sees it as her brand. And others may not agree, but I want the Nicki Minaj swim trunks.

Her American Idol judging job wasn't really a method of abusing the spotlight for fame. It was more her way of showing that despite the struggles she has gone through (and believe me, she has gone through a lot) and the mass amount of criticism she receives, she can persevere. Maybe I am biased, but she is one of the best judges on the show in recent years. She actually gives a lot of insight into vocals, etc. She also tells the contestants not only how to sing properly, but how to succeed into today's music industry.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Tea View Post
    I've been a Nicki Minaj fan since her mixtape days. She has really established herself as not only an artist, but a businesswoman. The reason everything is "pink" with her is because she sees it as her brand. And others may not agree, but I want the Nicki Minaj swim trunks.

Her American Idol judging job wasn't really a method of abusing the spotlight for fame. It was more her way of showing that despite the struggles she has gone through (and believe me, she has gone through a lot) and the mass amount of criticism she receives, she can persevere. Maybe I am biased, but she is one of the best judges on the show in recent years. She actually gives a lot of insight into vocals, etc. She also tells the contestants not only how to sing properly, but how to succeed into today's music industry.
    as much as I don't like it, I kinda agree with this. from the short amount of American Idol I've seen (maybe 2/3 hours), she really does help the finalists with what matters: being successful outside of the Idol stage, which a lot of judges in other shows forget to consider, and the fact that she was able to make a name for herself outside of YMCMB and successfully cross over to pop (and have a killer verse in Kanye's Monster), she has proven that she's a force in today's culture. nevertheless, I still think she's overrated and not very talented

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

The Top 10 for the Hot 100 being released tomorrow (dated May 11th):

1. "Just Give Me A Reason" - P!nk ft. Nate Ruess (=) (3rd week @ #1!)
    2. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Ray Dalton (=)
    3. "Stay" - Rihanna (+3)
    4. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (-1)
    5. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake (+2)
    6. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars (-2)
    7. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z (+1)
    8. "Feel This Moment" - Pitbull ft. Christina Aguilera (+1)
    9. "I Love It" - Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX (+4)
    10. "Radioactive" - Imagine Dragons (+2)
    --------------------
    26. "Gentleman" - Psy (-21)

Personal comments:
    -Third week at #1 for JGMAR! I'm super happy at this point because even when JGMAR loses the #1 spot, it'll be replaced by CHU, which I also love!
    -It kinda sucks that "Stay" keeps on rising up to #3 only to fall afterwards (I'm assuming that will happen again because no way Stay is beating JGMAR or CHU). It deserved to go higher
    -LOL @ "Suit & Tie" losing a TON of airplay this week, yet rising a position. It kind of reminds me of "Let Me Love You"'s annoyingly long stay in the Top 10
    -OH MY GOD YES "I LOVE IT" IS IN THE TOP 10!!! This is probably the best dance song of 2013 so far, it's so much fun and sounds awesome and I'm so happy that it finally made it into the Top 10!
    -"Radioactive" back in the Top 10 Hopefully it's here to stay this time
    -Well, there goes the opinions of everybody who thought that "Gentleman" would be a "Gangnam Style"-esque smash...
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

I used to like “I Love It", but then I kept hearing it on various TV commercials/trailers/shows, such as this one:

Spoiler:- Stupid TV Show:

•i officially love JGMAR. first single from Pink's most recent album that i love. first single featuring anyone from fun. that I love. it finally happened
    •I'm still not over “Stay" so I'm more than happy with it rising.
    •can't wait for Macklemore to re-seize #1 as soon as next week!

•and Gentleman can SUCK IT!

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post

3. "Stay" - Rihanna (+3)
    --------------------

Personal comments:
    -Third week at #1 for JGMAR! I'm super happy at this point because even when JGMAR loses the #1 spot, it'll be replaced by CHU, which I also love!
    -It kinda sucks that "Stay" keeps on rising up to #3 only to fall afterwards (I'm assuming that will happen again because no way Stay is beating JGMAR or CHU). It deserved to go higher
    -LOL @ "Suit & Tie" losing a TON of airplay this week, yet rising a position. It kind of reminds me of "Let Me Love You"'s annoyingly long stay in the Top 10
    -OH MY GOD YES "I LOVE IT" IS IN THE TOP 10!!! This is probably the best dance song of 2013 so far, it's so much fun and sounds awesome and I'm so happy that it finally made it into the Top 10!
    -Well, there goes the opinions of everybody who thought that "Gentleman" would be a "Gangnam Style"-esque smash...
    Yes! Just give me a reason is still on top! But seriously, im not too fond of stay. Dont get me wrong i DO think both Rihanna amd Mikky Ekkos vocals are superb, but i just think Rihanna is trying to hard to tone it down.
    As for Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, atm they are easily the best success story of 2013! Hopefully next week cant hold us will reach the top.
    And of course there is I Love It. Its definitely getting promotion and one moment I love it (pun not intended) and the next i hate it.
    Radioative climbs back up! Great news! Im really beginning to like everything imagine dragons do.

Dear old psy, please release more music, your videos are quality.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaBang View Post
    Mariah Carey released a teaser video for her new song called "Beautiful" featuring Miguel! I'M EXCITED! I hope Mariah has a successful year with another #1 or at least a Top 10 hit!
    Beautiful Teaser
    I think it's safe to say that Mariah's done. She had more than a decades worth of success but the US music market just isn't here for her any more. She's made herself look bad on Idol any ways. She should focus on other things instead of trying to gain the general public's support again because it will just be a losing battle IMO.

3. "Stay" - Rihanna (+3)
    --------------------

Personal comments:
    Radioactive is finally in the Top Ten!!!11! (i feel it in my bones) (Welcome to the new age)
    I Love It has become a bit boring now. I hear it more than I hear JGMAR and Can't Hold Us combined! (4:1 ratio)
    WIWYM is not Bruno's best sad-song work. I personally think Grenade was his best solo after his pairing with B.O.B. and Travie McCoy.
    Rihanna, stahp! Stay is sung by everyone everywhere, and I think that's what's making me appreciate the song less.
    Psy will only be a one-hit wonder in the U.S. and a nobody in South Korea.

Can't wait for Mariah's and JLo's new singles next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Black View Post
    I think it's safe to say that Mariah's done. She had more than a decades worth of success but the US music market just isn't here for her any more. She's made herself look bad on Idol any ways. She should focus on other things instead of trying to gain the general public's support again because it will just be a losing battle IMO.
    People said that before We Belong Together back in 05 too... Just sayin'

twittertumblrlast.fm

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Tea View Post

Nicki stays worshiping the contestants clothing choices for days on end. That is annoying. You were hired to critique and cultivate their singing talent, not their fashion choices.

But the truth of the matter, and the reason she took the gig, is to increase her stan/fanbase and reach homes/markets she otherwise failed to. Given how her latest album re-re-release flopped she needs all the help she can get.

My favorite artist is Eminem even though I don't feel like his last few albums even remotely showcase his ability. He does have 4 #1 hits, though.

Immortal Technique is a close second, but of course he doesn't have any hits.
    You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness...

[IMG]http://oi46.*******.com/34si8ac.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Dj06 View Post
    My favorite artist is Eminem even though I don't feel like his last few albums even remotely showcase his ability. He does have 4 #1 hits, though.

my brother is a fan of Immortal Technique (or at least he was at some point). he played for me the song about his mother and rape and it really grabbed my attention. it's such a dark song but it was really good. and uh, this is a thread about pop music, so yeah, no more

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by Dj06 View Post

What the hell……
    This is a Pop Music thread. If you want to show your favorite songs in general go to theSong Review and Post Thread

I think Mariah Carey is becoming less and less to my liking. She only releases Christmas albums and the last one I ever heard from her was from 2011, so she's basically done.

Quote Originally Posted by Popboi View Post
    Can't wait for Mariah's and JLo's new singles next week!
    I'm excited for JLo's new singles since On the Floor was too conventional sounding, and Dance Again was just "On the Floor 2".
    Her older songs and her "I'm Into You" from 2011 were really good tracks, and I hope she returns to familiar styles as such.

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    I think Mariah Carey is becoming less and less to my liking. She only releases Christmas albums and the last one I ever heard from her was from 2011, so she's basically done.
    She has only released 2 xmas albums, 1 in 1994 and the other one in 2010...

I think Mariah Carey is washed out, honestly until Idol we really didn't even hear about her at all. Besides, there are bigger and better divas.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I think Mariah Carey is washed out, honestly until Idol we really didn't even hear about her at all. Besides, there are bigger and better divas.
    As Chris has already pointed out, no one expected success again from Mariah until she released 'The Emancipation of Mimi'. As a solidified legend of the industry it would be very hard for her to be 'washed out' or 'done' with one song.

Speaking of which, Beautiful is actually a pretty good track. I really like it actually.

Also Justin recently posted the below image on Instagram which basically confirms the rumour that he'll be releasing a second part to 'The 20/20 Experience' in late 2013. Woop.
        Spoiler:- "Image*:
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    As Chris has already pointed out, no one expected success again from Mariah until she released 'The Emancipation of Mimi'. As a solidified legend of the industry it would be very hard for her to be 'washed out' or 'done' with one song.

Speaking of which, Beautiful is actually a pretty good track. I really like it actually.
    really loving Beautiful a LOT! I wish she sang on it more.

Also people dissin on Mariah seriously tho, she may not be that popular right now and she may have a pretty mixed-bag discography, but she is still one of the best voices of our generation, anyone who disagrees needs to give some of her early 90s works a listen.
    Last edited by Chris-kun; 6th May 2013 at 8:00 PM.

twittertumblrlast.fm

Well I don't really care about Mariah Carey, so from a purely objective perspective I'll say that "#Beautiful" (oh god, why is this trend of hashtagging song titles becoming a trend?) is currently at #11 within its first couple of hours of release. That's a lot better than a lot of people were predicting, but then again she could owe the success to the massive radio deal she has today and possibly for the whole week.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Well I don't really care about Mariah Carey, so from a purely objective perspective I'll say that "#Beautiful" (oh god, why is this trend of hashtagging song titles becoming a trend?) is currently at #11 within its first couple of hours of release. That's a lot better than a lot of people were predicting, but then again she could owe the success to the massive radio deal she has today and possibly for the whole week.
    so her song is currently at hashtag 11?

that doesn't surprise me. if JT can make a comeback after years of only acting, then Mariah should be able to release a hit. plus, she's gotta keep up with her super young and relative husband

Mariah: “Hey, Baby, why do I see the pound symbol on the internet a lot?"
    Nick: “That's just the way people talk now."
    Mariah: “Oh, I should write that down so I don't forget... I wonder where I put my typewriter..."

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    so her song is currently at hashtag 11?

that doesn't surprise me. if JT can make a comeback after years of only acting, then Mariah should be able to release a hit. plus, she's gotta keep up with her super young and relative husband

Mariah: “Oh, I should write that down so I don't forget... I wonder where I put my typewriter..."
    You talk about Mariah like she's Madonna or Cher, but Mariah's only from the 90s....

twittertumblrlast.fm

Well I don't really care about Mariah Carey
    But what about the song tho?

(oh god, why is this trend of hashtagging song titles becoming a trend?)
    I can only think of Yung Rapunxel and willpower/ThatPower here. Plus I've read that the # isn't necessarily for the usual convention and is something to do with censoring or something or another.

is currently at #11 within its first couple of hours of release.
    And where is Crazy Kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-kun View Post
    You talk about Mariah like she's Madonna or Cher, but Mariah's only from the 90s....
    Oh lord, getting flashbacks from the Necki Menij show, *phone rings*, "oh look, someone retweeted me"
    Running for the thrill of it

I can only think of Yung Rapunxel and willpower/ThatPower here. Plus I've read that the # isn't necessarily for the usual convention and is something to do with censoring or something or another.
    I read somewhere there's an explicit version called "F**king Beautiful" and that's why there's a hashtag in the title of the clean version we have now

twittertumblrlast.fm

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    Mess. Mariah isnt that old and she deserves more respect imo

And where is Crazy Kids?
    Its gonna be at the top very soon so dont worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-kun View Post
    I read somewhere there's an explicit version called "F**king Beautiful" and that's why there's a hashtag in the title of the clean version we have now
    Artists should stick to astericks for censoring profanity, not hashtags. It'd become chaos for the ones that actually don't abuse hashtags and use them the right way.
    Btw was #willpower the first album to use hashtags in the album and in #thatPower?

disarm your claws, everyone. I was kidding. I think Mariah is great. and I'm pretty sure her most recent hit was Obsessed, and I love that song BTW. I was honestly just making fun of how people say she's so irrelevant which technically is false because she has inspired and will continue to inspire many artists in the music business. now, I'm not too sure how successful she would now, but anything she does now will never change her amazing career. plus, I would love to hear her 5-octave range on ze radio (unless she's using auto tune, which someone told me she's doing)

Credit to Brutaka

Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast