Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

I actually liked thrift shop lol. It really satirizes America's obession with saving money. No way in hell Britney or Bmars should ever get #1 again, I can't stand either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Juanes is a wonderful musician, Id like to see an album in English from him.

IDK if any of you guys saw the Latin Grammy's a while back but his performance with Carlos Santana was awesome!
    I did I did!
    It was fantastic.
    He should so crossover and fill in the void Shakira left.
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Oh Britney will be number one again some day. May not be with Scream and Shout but she will get there one day :P

Meanwhile, Lady Gaga has been forced to cancel her tour since she has to undergo hip surgery for an injury. She could be in recovery for up to six months so it's beyond safe to say ARTPOP won't be coming out til at least the end of the year now. Hope she recovers well. Glad I got to see the born This Way Ball before she canceled.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Oh Britney will be number one again some day. May not be with Scream and Shout but she will get there one day :P

Meanwhile, Lady Gaga has been forced to cancel her tour since she has to undergo hip surgery for an injury. She could be in recovery for up to six months so it's beyond safe to say ARTPOP won't be coming out til at least the end of the year now. Hope she recovers well. Glad I got to see the born This Way Ball before she canceled.
    *Suicides*

There is a god...
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kreis
    Edit: What I mean to say about them is that, from what I've seen, they tend to put down the music, not the artist (or if they do, they're tactful about it and it's done in a tasteful manner). Some of you feel the need to put down the artist completely in order to disregard their music. It just seems like a lot of you are doing that to bring reactions out of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    *Suicides*
    Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan
    There is a god...
    i sense a little viciousness here, 1rkhachatryan

i hope lady gaga has a successful surgery. it's always a bummer when life problems interfere with an artist's career because it's harder to make a comeback, especially for someone who's been out of the picture like gaga, and with an interesting? album that mainstream may or may not accept
    Last edited by flamebeam; 14th February 2013 at 10:04 AM.

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake" Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake" Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake"

It's a real shame for Gaga and the fans who never got to see the tour. Although, I suspect that her condition was probably exacerbated by her stubbornness to seek help so to an extent I can see that part of this may have been her own doing. I hear the surgery's not too serious, so she'll hopefully get better soon.

In other news, two months in and possibly the worst thing to come out of mainstream music for 2013 has arrived:

I actually enjoy the original Scream and Shout as a mindless bop but this - this is just terrible, which is demonstrably shown during the part where Lil Wayne actually has the best verse in the whole song.

Lana Del Rey also released a video for 'Burning Desire' which is neither her best song or video.

Just to shoehorn in some more links, I don't even know what Disclosure is but they're probably my new favourite thing at the moment considering Azealia Banks' "Broke With Expensive Taste" seems to get further and further away from release. Here's their song Latch which is absolutely brilliant, and the slightly less amazing White Noise which is pretty high on the UK iTunes at the moment. I would say that Bastille are my new favourite thing, but apart from Pompeii all their other stuff is intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake" Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake" Azealia Banks - "Harlem Shake"

It's a real shame for Gaga and the fans who never got to see the tour. Although, I suspect that her condition was probably exacerbated by her stubbornness to seek help so to an extent I can see that part of this may have been her own doing. I hear the surgery's not too serious, so she'll hopefully get better soon.

In other news, two months in and possibly the worst thing to come out of mainstream music for 2013 has arrived:

I actually enjoy the original Scream and Shout as a mindless bop but this - this is just terrible, which is demonstrably shown during the part where Lil Wayne actually has the best verse in the whole song.

Lana Del Rey also released a video for 'Burning Desire' which is neither her best song or video.

Just to shoehorn in some more links, I don't even know what Disclosure is but they're probably my new favourite thing at the moment considering Azealia Banks' "Broke With Expensive Taste" seems to get further and further away from release. Here's their song Latch which is absolutely brilliant, and the slightly less amazing White Noise which is pretty high on the UK iTunes at the moment. I would say that Bastille are my new favourite thing, but apart from Pompeii all their other stuff is intolerable.
    And again I ask, what is britney's reason for being in this vid?? She doesn't do anything...it's almost as useless as Avril Levine being on that one Rihanna song.
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Because she's on the original version of the song. She's also the only reason many people even have an interest in this song in the first place. She's the only reason I bothered watching this video. I really like the original version of Scream and Shout but the remix is God awful. At least Britney looks fierce in the video.

She hid it really well too. I saw her in concert just a week before she canceled the remainder of the tour and she showed no signs of weakness or injury at all.

Because she's on the original version of the song. She's also the only reason many people even have an interest in this song in the first place. She's the only reason I bothered watching this video. I really like the original version of Scream and Shout but the remix is God awful. At least Britney looks fierce in the video.

She hid it really well too. I saw her in concert just a week before she canceled the remainder of the tour and she showed no signs of weakness or injury at all.
    Ya, I was referring to the original version too lol.

Funny how we should be discussing the point of having Britney Spears on Scream & Shout. For the past couple of days, there's been rumours that she didn't even sing on the song at all, and it's really somebody else. Britney's rep has confirmed it was in fact her on the track, but I thought this was worth mentioning anyways because it's been a pretty big rumour these past couple of days.

It sucks how Gaga needs surgery, but kudos to her for still performing for her fans and putting on a good show even though she was injured. A lot of people think that Gaga's fake in terms of how nicely she talks about her fans, so I hope that this will be enough to disprove them (but haters gon hate, so it won't). Also, even though the surgery isn't supposed to be too serious, it's still going to delay the release of Artpop yet again. I read somewhere that it's now going to be released in Q4 of 2013, which means she'll have gone 2.5 years in between album releases. I really hope that radio and the public will still embrace her return, but I'm a bit afraid that she's starting to fade a bit.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Funny how we should be discussing the point of having Britney Spears on Scream & Shout. For the past couple of days, there's been rumours that she didn't even sing on the song at all, and it's really somebody else. Britney's rep has confirmed it was in fact her on the track, but I thought this was worth mentioning anyways because it's been a pretty big rumour these past couple of days.

It sucks how Gaga needs surgery, but kudos to her for still performing for her fans and putting on a good show even though she was injured. A lot of people think that Gaga's fake in terms of how nicely she talks about her fans, so I hope that this will be enough to disprove them (but haters gon hate, so it won't). Also, even though the surgery isn't supposed to be too serious, it's still going to delay the release of Artpop yet again. I read somewhere that it's now going to be released in Q4 of 2013, which means she'll have gone 2.5 years in between album releases. I really hope that radio and the public will still embrace her return, but I'm a bit afraid that she's starting to fade a bit.
    They were actually just referring to the part with the british accent.

I don't see why. She loves talking in her British accent.

I don't see why. She loves talking in her British accent.
    It just doesn't sound anything like her...

[
    And again I ask, what is britney's reason for being in this vid?? She doesn't do anything...it's almost as useless as Avril Levine being on that one Rihanna song.
    It's called a sample

Just to re-iterate, the situation is not as if Britney just latched herself onto the track with minimal contribution (which is what you seem to be implying). will.I.am would have asked her to be on there. Believe it or not she's still quite a large force in the market who easily snaps up at least a number one debut single from her new albums. will.I.am's intention to have her on the track is largely for success (although she does add character to it) which is largely evidenced by the fact that it's probably the only solo track of will's which America has given a damn about.

Whoah, damn you're lucky. Yeah, for some reason she was fine on the final show she played yet ended up not being able to walk straight after.

I read somewhere that it's now going to be released in Q4 of 2013, which means she'll have gone 2.5 years in between album releases. I really hope that radio and the public will still embrace her return, but I'm a bit afraid that she's starting to fade a bit.
    I'm starting to doubt this comeback too. I'm wondering whether ARTPOP's going to pull a Warrior, and whether radios will have abandoned dance/electropop by then. There's also a worry of whether the music's going to sound dated by that time considering that many sources are suggesting how dancepop the album is, which is all well good if it's going to be released two years ago. I'm beginning to think that she's creating the album the fans wanted instead of Born This Way, but with the extra time off after the tour cancel hopefully she'll be working a lot on it. I heard that the plan was to spend three weeks re-recording the vocals after the tour finished anyway, so I might guess at a June/July release for the first single.

It just doesn't sound anything like her...
    probably because she usually has an American accent
    Last edited by Geekachu; 16th February 2013 at 10:50 PM.

[

It's called a sample

Just to re-iterate the situation is not as if Britney just latched herself onto the track with minimal contribution (which is what you seem to be implying), will.I.am would have asked her to be on there. Believe it or not she's still quite a large force in the market who easily snaps up at least a number one debut single from her new albums. will.I.am's intention to have her on the track is largely for success (although she does add character to it) which is largely evidenced by the fact that it's probably the only solo track of will's which America has given a damn about.

Whoah, damn you're lucky. Yeah, for some reason she was fine on the final show she played yet ended up not being able to walk straight after.

I'm starting to doubt this comeback too. I'm wondering whether ARTPOP's going to pull a Warrior, and whether radios will have abandoned dance/electropop by then. There's also a worry of whether the music's going to sound dated by that time considering that many sources are suggesting how dancepop the album is, which is all well good if it's going to be released two years ago. I'm beginning to think that she's creating the album the fans wanted instead of Born This Way, but with the extra time off after the tour cancel hopefully she'll be working a lot on it. I heard that the plan was to spend three weeks re-recording the vocals after the tour finished anyway, so I might guess at a June/July release for the first single.

probably because she usually has an American accent
    A what??

But I mean usually when people fake an accent, you can still hear some of their actual voice. She just sounds auto tuned as heck at that part.

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    i sense a little viciousness here, 1rkhachatryan

i hope lady gaga has a successful surgery. it's always a bummer when life problems interfere with an artist's career because it's harder to make a comeback, especially for someone who's been out of the picture like gaga, and with an interesting? album that mainstream may or may not accept
    Wasn't Gaga due to release an album last month. I don't know where I heard that.
    Signature edited due to exceeding the gif size limit. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonn98 View Post
    Wasn't Gaga due to release an album last month. I don't know where I heard that.
    either way, it's gonna be delayed now due to Gaga's injury/surgery. and like SC said, ARTPOP will be released 2.5 years after her previous album, Born This Way, so it's gonna be much more difficult than any of us initially assumed for her to successfully make a comeback

Credit to Brutaka

There was speculation she was going to release a single around Feb/March since ARTPOP was supposedly going to be released around May/June, but will her injury all plans are on hold.

I know it would be kind of difficult and would also be a bit of an unethical move, but it would almost benefit Gaga to release a lead single really soon instead of post-surgery. After MTN flopped, people kind of stopped talking about her and she wasn't really getting that much public attention even with her tour starting. Now, though, a lot of major Internet pop culture websites and radio stations are talking about her because of her injury, which is bringing her back in the public eye. That would mean this would actually be a great opportunity to release a lead single - but like I said, trying to capitalize on your injury is kind of uncool.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

did anyone catch Beyonce's HBO documentary? i saw a little bit of it. from what i collected, it was her struggling to hide her pregnancy because she didn't want people to know about it before the safety point. and she kept thanking God for everything. and then there was other stuff like how she's learned about the music biz from her father and husband. overall, the message was pure and she's an amazing vocalist/performer, so i was content

Credit to Brutaka

Major chart news: Billboard has now added YouTube views to its Hot 100 formula.

With that in mind, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out tomorrow (dated March 2nd):

1. "Harlem Shake" - Baauer (21ST #1 DEBUT EVER!)
    2. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (-1)
    3. "Stay" - Rihanna (+54)
    4. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (-1)
    5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (=)
    6. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-2)
    7. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (-5)
    8. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars (+1)
    9. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z (-1)
    10. "Started From The Bottom" - Drake (+51)

Personal comments/my rant on the new YouTube addition:

Firstly, this is completely unfair to "Thrift Shop" that this change happened when it did. It's currently coming for #1 on airplay, is selling 400K+ weekly sales and is breaking records for on-demand streaming. Under the old formula, this would have led it to possibly get up to 10 or more weeks at #1 on the Hot 100. But now with this stupid YouTube addition, there's no way "Thrift Shop" will be able to compete with "Harlem Shake" and it will be stuck at #2 for weeks even though it rightfully deserves to spend those weeks at #1.

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that "Harlem Shake" gets to debut at #1. It only debuted at #3 on Digital Songs this week (selling LESS than 300K), it has practically zero airplay and it has a tiny amount of non-YouTube streaming. Being a viral hit on YouTube should not deem a song to be the most popular song in the country, especially since this is the US Hot 100 but YouTube is worldwide. If people don't like the song enough to buy it or it's not being advertised through radio, it shouldn't be able to let its views carry it to a high overall ranking. Plus, even if Billboard still insists on adding YouTube views, "Harlem Shake" should only be getting points from the official audio on YouTube, not from every single individual user uploaded video of people dancing to it.

Also, if YouTube views are to be included in the Hot 100 formula, it should really be weighted a lot less than it is now. "Thrift Shop" broke streaming records with 1.6 million streams, but now with YouTube, "Harlem Shake" got 103 million streams. That probably means they're counting every view as a point, which is waaaay too over-weighted. Making every 1000 views = 1 point or even every 100 views = 1 point would make more sense.

This also gives too much power to random, non-paying music users in determining what does well on the Hot 100. Before, a song's success was deemed by radio, digital and streaming - one of those is not controllable by the public and the other two are controlled by the public provided they pay. If people aren't willing to pay for a song - a common occurrence in the music industry - it doesn't deserve to be considered popular over another song that people are willing to pay for. This also puts way too much power in music video releases in general. A brand new music video gets way more views in its first week than a video that's been out for months, so now every time a song's music video is released, it will see a massive jump on the Hot 100.

I know this is practically an essay that very few of you (if any) will read, so...

tl;dr: "Harlem Shake" is a very undeserving #1 debut, "Thrift Shop" is getting majorly snubbed because of this, YouTube is weighted way too much in the formula and non-paying stans have too much power.

Even though this is a hectic Top 10, I'm not going to comment on the rest of it because I'm too annoyed by this.
    Last edited by Silent Conversation; 21st February 2013 at 12:47 AM.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

SC, i read your essay. don't feel special, though, because I read everybody's everything. and I totally agree about YouTube videos being overweighted. songs that get this popular from YouTube this quickly are usually wacky songs that are #1 for a couple weeks, like gangnam style. i mean, think about this: if they did this 2 years ago, rebecca black would've been a #1 artist. oh, the monstrosity! i thought it was a crime for CMM to steal #1's from lights, wide awake, etc. but for youtube hits to steal #1's from beautifully composed and executed songs, that would be even worse. so yeah, they need to fix that...

but i must admit that harlem shake is my guilty pleasure. there's something wrong with you if that song doesn't make you wanna shake
    Last edited by flamebeam; 21st February 2013 at 1:19 AM.

Credit to Brutaka

The Youtube formula is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the entire BB Hot 100 entirely. Its a foolish move. They need to just go back to radio and digital sales.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Major chart news: Billboard has now added YouTube views to its Hot 100 formula.

With that in mind, here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 coming out tomorrow (dated March 2nd):

1. "Harlem Shake" - Baauer (21ST #1 DEBUT EVER!)
    2. "Thrift Shop" - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz (-1)
    3. "Stay" - Rihanna (+54)
    4. "Scream & Shout" - will.i.am & Britney Spears (-1)
    5. "I Knew You Were Trouble." - Taylor Swift (=)
    6. "Ho Hey" - The Lumineers (-2)
    7. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars (-5)
    8. "When I Was Your Man" - Bruno Mars (+1)
    9. "Suit & Tie" - Justin Timberlake ft. Jay-Z (-1)
    10. "Started From The Bottom" - Drake (+51)

Personal comments/my rant on the new YouTube addition:

Firstly, this is completely unfair to "Thrift Shop" that this change happened when it did. It's currently coming for #1 on airplay, is selling 400K+ weekly sales and is breaking records for on-demand streaming. Under the old formula, this would have led it to possibly get up to 10 or more weeks at #1 on the Hot 100. But now with this stupid YouTube addition, there's no way "Thrift Shop" will be able to compete with "Harlem Shake" and it will be stuck at #2 for weeks even though it rightfully deserves to spend those weeks at #1.

Also, it's absolutely ridiculous that "Harlem Shake" gets to debut at #1. It only debuted at #3 on Digital Songs this week (selling LESS than 300K), it has practically zero airplay and it has a tiny amount of non-YouTube streaming. Being a viral hit on YouTube should not deem a song to be the most popular song in the country, especially since this is the US Hot 100 but YouTube is worldwide. If people don't like the song enough to buy it or it's not being advertised through radio, it shouldn't be able to let its views carry it to a high overall ranking. Plus, even if Billboard still insists on adding YouTube views, "Harlem Shake" should only be getting points from the official audio on YouTube, not from every single individual user uploaded video of people dancing to it.

Also, if YouTube views are to be included in the Hot 100 formula, it should really be weighted a lot less than it is now. "Thrift Shop" broke streaming records with 1.6 million streams, but now with YouTube, "Harlem Shake" got 103 million streams. That probably means they're counting every view as a point, which is waaaay too over-weighted. Making every 1000 views = 1 point or even every 100 views = 1 point would make more sense.

This also gives too much power to random, non-paying music users in determining what does well on the Hot 100. Before, a song's success was deemed by radio, digital and streaming - one of those is not controllable by the public and the other two are controlled by the public provided they pay. If people aren't willing to pay for a song - a common occurrence in the music industry - it doesn't deserve to be considered popular over another song that people are willing to pay for. This also puts way too much power in music video releases in general. A brand new music video gets way more views in its first week than a video that's been out for months, so now every time a song's music video is released, it will see a massive jump on the Hot 100.

I know this is practically an essay that very few of you (if any) will read, so...

tl;dr: "Harlem Shake" is a very undeserving #1 debut, "Thrift Shop" is getting majorly snubbed because of this, YouTube is weighted way too much in the formula and non-paying stans have too much power.

Even though this is a hectic Top 10, I'm not going to comment on the rest of it because I'm too annoyed by this.
    Sweet, I'm loving Stay so I'm happy .

Go Bruno Mars <3!!!

Where on earth did this Harlem shake thing start anyways -.-

Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast