Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: POP MUSIC THREAD: Taylor Swift officially joins us

Ok just watched Thrift shop and I had the da fuq face on the whole time lol.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

If only Terrakion was still here, he'd have something to say about this.

But lmao, they included this AFTER everyone and their grandmother seethed at One More Night taking Gangnam Style's number one? I can understand their intentions which is to try and quantify the pop culture influence of songs at a moment in time. After all, it is called the Billboard Hot 100 which indicates it ranks songs on their popularity, and there are other charts for strictly digital sales if anyone wants them. Furthermore, money is generated from views so it is arguably part of the music market.

Although, I don't think this is going to have that a profound effect on the charts really. Sure, viral sensations like Harlem Shake and acts like 1D and Justin Bieber (with their obsessive teen girls) will experience boosts but the main people from whom we can expect number ones this year - Katy, Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce - rack up plenty of views anyway. It's an understandable addition, although I will be pissed when this helps Rihanna get lord-knows how many undeserved number ones.

I admit though that it is scary to think Harlem Shake would have debuted at #15, but thanks to its YouTube hits, most of which are around forty seconds, it stole Macklemore's number one with (apparently) 3.5x the amount of chart points. The only explanation is that they're doing a 1 hit = 1 point system, which is dubious especially considering that this comes a few weeks after many Vevo accounts were stripped of 'fake' views.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Being a viral hit on YouTube should not deem a song to be the most popular song in the country, especially since this is the US Hot 100 but YouTube is worldwide.
    I'm sure Nielsen will easily have their methods (using IPs, for instance) to get the American views.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaru View Post
    The Youtube formula is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the entire BB Hot 100 entirely. Its a foolish move. They need to just go back to radio and digital sales.
    Where-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh have you been?

Also I doubt that anyone cares but the BRIT awards were hosted last night. It's possibily the worst award show in music but Frank Ocean won 'Best International Male', so for once I was happy with their 'you attend, you win'-policy. Lana Del Rey and Adele also won stuff and T-Swizzle and JT also performed.

Wow I havent even heard most of the new top ten songs and whats with Stay climbing to number three so fast?? I didnt think it was so popular or are the Youtube views helping it? This is why i dont usually pay attention to the charts cuz I think its ridiculous how some songs do well on the charts even if theyre not that good

Quote Originally Posted by geekachu View Post

where-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh have you been?
    atrl.....:i
    #BuyUltraviolance

So I flicked onto atrl randomly and found this thing Kelly Clarkson wrote to Clive Davis in response to his memoirs. Apparently he said that she broke down crying or something when he asked for 'Since U Been Gone' to be included on her album. idk

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Clarkson
    Hey y'all,

So I just heard Clive Davis is releasing a memoir and spreading false information about me and my music. I refuse to be bullied and I just have to clear up his memory lapses and misinformation for myself and for my fans. It feels like a violation. Growing up is awesome because you learn you don't have to cower to anyone - even Clive Davis.

First, he says I burst into "hysterical sobbing" in his office when he demanded Since You Been Gone be on my album. Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way.

But, yes, I did cry in his office once. I cried after I played him a song I had written about my life called "Because Of You." I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a "sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me." He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with.
    But I continued to fight for the song and the label relented. And it became a worldwide hit. He didn't include that in the book.

He also goes on to say My December wasn't successful because I co-penned the album and it didn't have "pop hits". Well, first let me say, I've co-penned many of my "pop hits." Secondly, My December went platinum (It sold 20,000 less than All I Ever Wanted which followed My December.) Hardly a huge failure. Never Again, the ONLY single they released in the US from that record was a Top 10 hit. I am very proud of that and I have my fans to thank. But, again, what's most interesting about his story is what he leaves out: He doesn't mention how he stood up in front of his company at a convention and belittled me and my music and completely sabotaged the entire project. It never had a chance to reach it's full potential. My December was an album I needed to make for myself for many reasons and the fact that I was so completely disregarded and disrespected was so disheartening, there really aren't words to explain….

Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans. I love my label and all of my professional relationships… now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference.

Cheers to another amazing year! And, as always, thanks for listening!

KC
    atrl.....:i
    welp

don't. And bring back terrakion too. We're not as bad as we used to be any more. I think.
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
    Wow I havent even heard most of the new top ten songs and whats with Stay climbing to number three so fast?? I didnt think it was so popular or are the Youtube views helping it? This is why i dont usually pay attention to the charts cuz I think its ridiculous how some songs do well on the charts even if theyre not that good
    Hey!!! Stay is amazing

I miss this kind of music from Rihanna, I'm tired of her ****ty nasty faze...
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Where on earth did this Harlem shake thing start anyways -.-
    It came out in 2012,got relesed on itunes in Jan and some people made videos of it around feb and it became popular.

I find the Youtube formula to be rather stupid. Should only be a billboard chart that isn't the main chart.

The more I've thought about it, the more I realize it's not even the inclusion of Youtube views that bothers me. It's that part of those included Youtube views are any user-submitted video that uses any part of the official version of the song. "Harlem Shake" is getting its massive amount of views not from its official channel's video, but from random 30 second videos of people dancing. If they kept it to just music videos or official videos released by the artist/record label, that would be fine - but now every single time a viral video includes a song in its background, that song is going to fly up the charts, even if nobody's coming to the video to listen to the actual song.

Also, where was this Youtube rule when "Friday" was popular? I would have loved to see it dominate the charts with 10+ weeks at #1
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    welp

don't. And bring back terrakion too. We're not as bad as we used to be any more. I think.
    I never thought ya'll were bad, I just wanted to engage in more conversation. But I can never leave this place, its been six years and I still come back.

OT:

So since Ke$ha's second single C'Mon flopped and destroyed her top ten streak :L

What should her third single be?
    #BuyUltraviolance

I never thought ya'll were bad, I just wanted to engage in more conversation. But I can never leave this place, its been six years and I still come back.
    We were, the messes that thread used to get into

As for Ke$ha, I think her under-performing is pretty simply because she hasn't released anything as novel or fun as TiK ToK. All her singes up to Blow rode on the success of her debut, so the average singles from Warrior and the hiatus have damaged her severely, which is a shame considering Warrior was actually quite good in comparison to other 2012 releases (MDNA, Unapologetic, Electra Heart, etc). I mean, I actually quite like C'Mon, it just isn't anything as good as TiK ToK. I know Ke$ha's fans seem to like Supernatural, but imo Gold Trans Am would be a perfect single choice. It's definitely one of the better tracks off Warrior, and it's catchy and has the distinct, fun nature of TiK ToK. I really like it, actually.

I also like Wonderland but we all know that's not going to see the light of day.

On another note, in the space of a few days Rihanna's been criticised by Beyonce and Dido. Beyonce doesn't actually refer to Rihanna, but it's pretty blatant who she's talking about.

Beyonce: "People don't make albums any more. They don't make albums any more. They just try to sell a bunch of lil quick singles. And they burn out, and they put out a new one, and they burn out, and they put out a new one"
    Dido: "Rihanna seems to release every week an album on the market. Incredible! When does she has time to write her songs? I could never publish music that means nothing to me."

Anyone else disapprove of Rihanna's method of yearly releases?

Well I think Beyonce has a point, and when she said it, Rihanna was the first to come into mind, you know, people like Katy , GaGa, and Ke$ha try to come up with a concept for their albums. Partly because they write a lot of what goes on their album so they can stick to a concept. Teenage Dream for example at least had this whole bubble-gum candy feel that went with the whole that stereo-type of a teenager.

With Rihanna, her albums all sound like four singles packed with filler album tracks, mostly her last three efforts: Loud, Talk That Talk, and Unapologetic. Especially, Talk That Talk. I think Rihanna has just sort of become molded into that, I can't blame her, its what her label wants. Hopefully though she's gained enough respect in her career to be able to have a say in what she wants. Cause you never really hear Rihanna talk about what the album is going to be like, she usually says "Yeah it'll be out soon, I just recorded some tracks #Navy".
    #BuyUltraviolance

So since Ke$ha's second single C'Mon flopped and destroyed her top ten streak :L
    It didn't flop to say but it didn't do as well as some other singles by her.
    I think no more singles will come out due to the album flopping compaired to Animal/Cannibal.

Yes. She should take a few years off and write a really good album where most/every track is good.

On another note, in the space of a few days Rihanna's been criticised by Beyonce and Dido. Beyonce doesn't actually refer to Rihanna, but it's pretty blatant who she's talking about.

Beyonce: "People don't make albums any more. They don't make albums any more. They just try to sell a bunch of lil quick singles. And they burn out, and they put out a new one, and they burn out, and they put out a new one"
    Dido: "Rihanna seems to release every week an album on the market. Incredible! When does she has time to write her songs? I could never publish music that means nothing to me."

i can't say I disapprove Rihanna's method because I've enjoyed all the singles she has released from We Found Love to today. I've also enjoyed her collabs with Kanye and her voice is just so good to me, so it's hard for me to dislike her. but i understand where dido is coming from: albums should be released the most every other year. maybe she should take a lesson from Katy Perry's most recent album lol. and tbh i don't understand why Beyonce is getting in the middle of this. don't get me wrong; i LOVE Beyonce, much more than i do Rihanna, but it is really a good idea to pick a fight after her most recent publicity? i mean, there was the hospital drama after blue ivy was born, the lip synching that stole everyone's attention from obama, the power outage that followed her Superbowl performance, and the mixed reviews of her HBO doc “life is but a dream". does she really think subtlety criticizing a currently relevant artist is good publicity when she's trying to make 2013 her year?

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    maybe she should take a lesson from Katy Perry's most recent album lol.
    If you mean re-relese it a year or so later she has already done it

Quote Originally Posted by kuzronk View Post
    If you mean re-relese it a year or so later she has already done it
    not exactly. I was referring to how Katy Perry's last 8 or 9 singles were from the same album that was released in 2010. in contrast, rihanna releases a bunch of songs from a bunch of albums.

Credit to Brutaka

So the Oscars take place tonight in which Adele will be performing Skyfall to tie in with her nomination for Best Original Song. Anyone fancy her chances?

Cause you never really hear Rihanna talk about what the album is going to be like, she usually says "Yeah it'll be out soon, I just recorded some tracks #Navy".
    lol so true

I totally get what you mean though. It's almost pretty difficult to differentiate between Loud, Talk that Talk and Unapologetic because all three were just slapped out one after the other and completely ride on mainstream trends. I guess part of it too is that those three albums between them only just have enough good material to constitute one good album. I wouldn't mind her methods if she actually rolled out a good album each time, but...

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    does she really think subtlety criticizing a currently relevant artist is good publicity when she's trying to make 2013 her year?
    I dunno, I've heard her ticket sales for the Mrs. Carter tour have been pretty good. So many people on my facebook and twitter have desperately been trying to get them.

So the Oscars take place tonight in which Adele will be performing Skyfall to tie in with her nomination for Best Original Song. Anyone fancy her chances?
    i think she deserves it, that song is top notch
    i say this as neither an adele fan or bond fanatic
    life is
    a game

as i mentioned before in this thread without a reply from you guys, Adele won the Golden Globe Award for Skyfall, meaning she'll probably win the Oscar. i guess she has a kind of magnet for these awards lol 6 Grammys in one night lol. imo i LOVE skyfall and Adele slays that songs so I'm really rooting for her

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Ok just watched Thrift shop and I had the da fuq face on the whole time lol.

We actually agree on something lol.

DIRTY LOVE!

So I flicked onto atrl randomly and found this thing Kelly Clarkson wrote to Clive Davis in response to his memoirs. Apparently he said that she broke down crying or something when he asked for 'Since U Been Gone' to be included on her album. idk
    Good for her for standing up for herself. He's never liked her.

I've been preached my "disgust" for her for a while. I've been slowly losing respect for her since Loud came out. She's so manufactured now.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

…so Adele won. feel free to be happy for her and stuff... yay

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    We actually agree on something lol.

DIRTY LOVE!

Good for her for standing up for herself. He's never liked her.

I've been preached my "disgust" for her for a while. I've been slowly losing respect for her since Loud came out. She's so manufactured now.
    I like his rap a lot(especially on Same Love) but the video was just freaking weird lol. Never thought I would see a rapper in footy pajamas O_o...

Woah. I knew that Demi Lovato had a pretty significant stanbase but I didn't realize just how big it was until today. She released her brand new single "Heart Attack" today and it shot up to #1 on iTunes in around 9 hours. As for the song itself, it's certainly nothing special or unique, but it sounds nice enough. Her voice sounds really good on it - I think she's very underrated in terms of vocal ability, as she keeps on proving she has a very strong voice. Here's the song for anybody who wants to listen:

YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Woah. I knew that Demi Lovato had a pretty significant stanbase but I didn't realize just how big it was until today. She released her brand new single "Heart Attack" today and it shot up to #1 on iTunes in around 9 hours. As for the song itself, it's certainly nothing special or unique, but it sounds nice enough. Her voice sounds really good on it - I think she's very underrated in terms of vocal ability, as she keeps on proving she has a very strong voice. Here's the song for anybody who wants to listen:

Lol anybody who underates her voice obviously hasn't heard La La Land.

the real question is, is she still doing the XF, or will Simon give her the boot? i actually liked her as a judge, but she was a very bad mentor. Britney was the exact opposite. but, umm, congrats to her for her career success

Credit to Brutaka

I decided to listen to some of Demi Lovato's vocal performances, and if she keeps hitting notes outside of her natural range, she's going to end up like Christina Aguilera.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast