Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Cartoon Network nowadays?

Default What do you think of Cartoon Network nowadays?

Are you upset because it's too different than it was a decade? Are you pleased that the future looks good for children's animation shows?
    Or are you neutral? Please share your thoughts!

I don't feel I have any right to comment since I don't have cable, and I hardly watched anything on Cartoon Network while I was at my grandparents as I went to college. The only thing I tried to keep up with on CN was Dragons: Riders of Berk, but that was only for the first season before I fell out of it. It feels different than it was a decade ago, that much I know for sure, though I do have to say that I'm glad they got rid of those damn reality TV shows and went back to all cartoons. Sure, some of the cartoons could be better, and they should have more variety in their line-up, but at least it's not like what you see on Nickelodeon, so they have that going for them.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Cartoonnetwork is pretty **** right now to be honest.

They only have like two good shows in Pokemon and Ben 10. They used to have more but ever since they got rid of Clone Wars, Young Justice, and Green Lantern, they literally have nothing to work with except for some random hipster cartoons.

Essentially all stupid shows that have no plot or development. They at least had Dragons Riders of Berk but then that is moving to Netflix now :/...
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

It completely sucks apart from Adventure Time and the current Ben 10 Series, which are both just mediocre to me (I think the Pokemon Anime is terrible nowadays, and the English dub hasn't been good since 4Kids and Kids WB stopped dubbing it to me- it actually got crappy to me when CN got it back in late 2006): I miss when it aired Toonami instead of during Adult Swim at night, and had more entertaining shows like The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Symbiotic Titan, and Young Justice, personally.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Not as good as they were back in the 2000's. Though there are some gems like Adventure Time, except people are apparently scared off or so closed minded by it's art style and surreal humor, even though it has more character development and world building then most shows could dream of.(And an entertaining and sometimes depressing plot, but people are too scared off by it to get to those great episodes)

Though bringing back Toonami was a great choice.
    FC: 2208-5493-1047

Might just be nostalgia talking but I think cartoons in general just lack the ideas they used to have circa late 90s so it's not just Cartoon Network that suffers. Granted I don't watch a lot of cartoons these days other than when I'm "forced" to but the options seem pretty bleak to say the least.

Regular Show is the only CN program that I can tolerate, and even then I find the newer episodes to be subpar compared to the older ones. Adventure Time was once my fave CN show, but I jumped off that bandwagon years ago when the hyped died.

Adult Swim has been bad for years but the rest of Cartoon Network isn't good either. Every single show they have feels like the same thing... over and over. No differences. They all have the same exact art-style, usually use the same voice actors and the same nonsensical plots/outright not using any form of plot and use the same exact shticks. (repetitively making annoying sounds/singing random things/etc)

Whenever CN does get something that's good or breaks their usual mold (which is rare, but it's happened), it gets promptly cancelled because it didn't follow the formula more stale than aged wine.

I think of it the same way I think of Nickelodeon and Disney Channel: Better 10 years ago. I swear, TV producers ask people what they want out of TV and give them the complete opposite on purpose.

I really miss Codename Kids Next Door, it was a really great show.

I don't really know honestly, its probably because I'm not a kid anymore but I find the cartoons these days uninteresting.....when I did watch it was back when they had all the old shows like Courage The Cowardly Dog and some of the other ones, those are the which I will reluctantly watch today because I remember enjoying them heaps, luckily though my relatives have cable and on that particular one they just re-air the old shows.
    I have claimed

Steven Universe and Clarence are definitely not bad, some the other shows however are.

From what I've actually seen and heard, Adventure Time and Regular Show aren't bad.
    Uncle Grandpa is too trippy and colorful for my taste.
    TAWOGB is too childish imo. :/

I'm not one for nostalgia, in fact I hate it when people act like anything not made in the mid 90's early 00's is cancer. But quality has sorta gone down hill. This applies to all major cartoon networks not just CN itself.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Steven Universe and Clarence are definitely not bad, some the other shows however are.

From what I've actually seen and heard, Adventure Time and Regular Show aren't bad.
    Uncle Grandpa is too trippy and colorful for my taste.
    TAWOGB is too childish imo. :/

I'm not one for nostalgia, in fact I hate it when people act like anything not made in the mid 90's early 00's is cancer. But quality has sorta gone down hill. This applies to all major cartoon networks not just CN itself.
    Clarence is one of the best examples of the typical CN show, looking exactly like every other show, following the same rules (random song-and-dance segments that are repetitive and annoying, random repetitive sounds that a character will make, etc).

I haven't seen a CN show that lasted (so the good ones like Sym-Bionic Titan, Young Justice and the Looney Tunes reboot don't apply) that wasn't just a lazy amalgamation of Chowder and Flapjack. Go figure considering they didn't even do well when it aired.
    I don't get it. You openly agree that CN/other channels have went to hell since the 00s but you hate it when people bring it up? Why?

I watched a bit of Adventure Time when it first started and couldn't really get into it, CN's horrid schedule didn't help though. The promotional commercials and general feel of the show is obnoxious as hell though, like the rest of CN's wonderful roster.

I'm not going to hate something because it's too "new" but I am going to be more willing to watch a new (to me) older show than I would a new newer show simply because quality, as mentioned... went to hell.
    Last edited by Trevenant; 28th August 2014 at 3:27 PM.

I used to like CN to some extent, but I can't really get into some of these new shows, with a few exceptions. They don't show enough of the older series, in my opinion. The only few new shows I can tolerate are Adventure Time and Regular Show.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

It's plain awful, it was much better ten years ago IMO. The only good shows they have that are watchable are Regular Show, Adventure Time, Ben 10 Omniverse, and Pokemon the Series XY.
    And to think they had some great shows before like KND, Symbiotic Titan, Toonami's entire block, etc.

I think's it all right, but not as good as it was before 2006. I liked Adventure Time at first, but now I think it's getting old. Gumball and Steven Universe are decent. Teen Titans Go is only good when you treat it as a parody of itself. The rest is pretty much garbage, especially Uncle Grandpa and Clarence. But at least it's not as bad as 2006-2010, CN had almost nothing that was watchable in that period.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

As horrible as 2006-2010 was with the stupid live-action shows, Total Drama garbage and the other shows by the creator (6teen was one I think?), I'm pretty sure it's worse now because every single show looks, feels, and sounds exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think's it all right, but not as good as it was before 2006. I liked Adventure Time at first, but now I think it's getting old. Gumball and Steven Universe are decent. Teen Titans Go is only good when you treat it as a parody of itself. The rest is pretty much garbage, especially Uncle Grandpa and Clarence. But at least it's not as bad as 2006-2010, CN had almost nothing that was watchable in that period.
    I've watched a few episodes, but I thought it was bad, even after hearing that it's a parody. This could be because I'm not a big fan, and it has been a while since I last watched an episode, and that I only watched a few episodes (but then again, that same logic would apply for Breadwinners, and I have very strong negative feelings about that), but I swear the characters just don't act like themselves. Beast Boy and Cyborg are the worst of the bunch, they're obnoxious and act childish, which I don't remember them being in the 2003 cartoon. Beast Boy was a jokester, yes, but he wasn't like how he is now. One of the other episodes I saw was with Aqualad, and I knew for a fact he doesn't act like that. Even in a parody he shouldn't have been as severely OoC like he was. Flanderization does not a good parody makes--if you could call his character in Teen Titans Go! a Flanderization of himself from the 2003 cartoon. (Any and all comparisons to the original comic don't apply here at this point, as the cartoons appear to be their own character.)

I dunno, I wasn't that excited about it when it was first announced (despite getting the original voice actors--I think all of them), but after having watched a few, I just couldn't get into it at all. None of the jokes were funny to me, and it was a bit cringe-worthy to see what happened to Cyborg and Beast Boy. It's okay to have a show be silly and comedic (as long as the jokes are fresh), but I guess the show's just trying too hard. But I heard it's actually a comic book as well, and thus the show's an adaptation/based off of those comics. So I don't know how true to those comic books the cartoon is, but I have a feeling there's not much of a difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevenant View Post
    As horrible as 2006-2010 was with the stupid live-action shows, Total Drama garbage and the other shows by the creator (6teen was one I think?), I'm pretty sure it's worse now because every single show looks, feels, and sounds exactly the same.
    I think it's because they're all trying to cash in on the success of Adventure Time, and thus why everything appears to be the same inside-and-out. It's like people are afraid to think out the box--and possibly for "good" reason, as any good, promising show gets itself cancelled because "they don't sell merchandise". Which, when you apply it to the superhero cartoons that were cancelled, sounds ridiculous.

Yes, money is important to keep a network and a production company up-and-running. Yes, I will not deny there are people out there who are afraid to try out new things because they're too used to the same old crap things to want anything new. (I'm looking at you, Hollywood, bunch of hacks.) But Cartoon Network took that risk when they first came on to the air, because they understood what cartoons are, and just how much potential and creativity there can be to cartoons that you just always can't get with live-action shows. They were all about quality and variety--each show was its own unique creation, with a few spin-offs here and there. Sure, they had their share of flops back in the day, too, but they kept trying. I think it also helped that, for a time, viewers got to vote for their favorite pilot so it could get green-lit. I don't think Cartoon Network, let alone Nickelodeon, does that anymore. They just go for the ones they feel are going to make them the most money, and because it's a bunch of business suits making the decisions and not the audience, a lot of what we get tends to be the same old song and dance, some more worse than others.

I love cartoons, I really do, but the animated movies (to me) feel like they're the only ones right now trying their damndest to show their love for animation, story-telling, and character development. There still do exist good modern TV cartoons, but there's only a few. The rest either suck, went on too long that they've grown stale, or are sadly decent from the start and/or are now starting to suck because they don't live up to their full potential.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 28th August 2014 at 5:05 PM.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Teen Titans Go is really annoying to me as well, even when I treat it as a parody (the only good thing about it to me is the voice acting): the original Teen Titans, on the other hand, was excellent.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Some of the shows on it are decent enough, but there's no variety. They spam double airings of Regular Show, Adventure Time, Gumball, and so on. Take a look at this schedule and tell me it couldn't use some improvement: http://www.locatetv.com/listings/cartoon-network

Also they need to stop airing DoaWK all the time.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Teen Titans Go's biggest problem is it uses generic cartoony humor to be funny.

It has charm from time to time, but it makes the whole crew look like idiots (especially Robin).
    I don't hate it but it's gotta be put to rest at some point soon. :/

It's a parody and nothing more imo.

as any good, promising show gets itself cancelled because "they don't sell merchandise". Which, when you apply it to the superhero cartoons that were cancelled, sounds ridiculous.
    Pretty much this. Because someone doesn't sell well sell to the overinflated expectations that bland garbage does, people tend to steal their success formula.

but the animated movies (to me) feel like they're the only ones right now trying their damndest to show their love for animation
    People still animate their movies? Haven't seen an American movie in so long---live-action or "animated" that wasn't abusing CG to high-heaven.

The worst offender is anything superhero related. Why in the hell does Spider Man's costume have to be rendered entirely in CG? lol.

even when I treat it as a parody (the only good thing about it to me is the voice acting)
    The voice actors are good. The direction and lines are nothing short of horrible. Who's idea was it for Cyborg to sound like the stereotypical (in entertainment) lisping, high-pitched gay person? Apparently it's his "grandma voice" or something, but no... it just sounds like he's making fun of the stereotypes of a gay man.

For that matter that purple blob from Adventure Time... (something Princess I think is the name? Not sure.) does the same exact thing.

Teen Titans can be funny and entertaining without needing to resort to being every other show and having god-awful, eye-bleedingly bad animation. The filler episodes in the original Teen Titans were very entertaining and (usually) humorous.

People still animate their movies? Haven't seen an American movie in so long---live-action or "animated" that wasn't abusing CG to high-heaven.
    Dreamworks, Disney, Pixar, Blue Sky, Universal now... animated movies are still going strong in the movie industry. Sure, the animation is more-likely-than-not outsourced (like with TV cartoons), at least in some areas, but like every other country out there who has their hands in the waters of 3D-animation, America still has their own 3D-animated movies. I do wish that there would be a 2D-animated movie, but unless Don Bluth gets his Dragon's Lair movie funded and he sticks to 2D animation, only chance we'll ever get one is a foreign film (not counting Japanese animation).

Speaking of animated movies, I'm surprised Cartoon Network hasn't made an attempt to return to it. Though after what had happened with the Powerpuff Girls movie (thanks to bad marketing for whatever stupid reason), I can't blame them. At least they haven't gone down the same route Nick's done with Fairly Oddparents (DEAR GOD THAT CGI), so... props.

The voice actors are good. The direction and lines are nothing short of horrible. Who's idea was it for Cyborg to sound like the stereotypical (in entertainment) lisping, high-pitched gay person? Apparently it's his "grandma voice" or something, but no... it just sounds like he's making fun of the stereotypes of a gay man.

For that matter that purple blob from Adventure Time... (something Princess I think is the name? Not sure.) does the same exact thing.
    Hadn't noticed that with Cyborg. But I think it may be more intentional with Lumpy Space Princess since she's more of an original character than Cyborg is, so there's more leeway to do what they want with her.
    I survived Pupa.

It's not even the live action shows that bothered me about 2006-2010. It's Chowder and Flapjack. They were absolutely horrid, unfunny, random, and trying too hard to be Spongebob. And these were their best shows? That just goes to show how awful the entire lineup was.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    It's not even the live action shows that bothered me about 2006-2010. It's Chowder and Flapjack. They were absolutely horrid, unfunny, random, and trying too hard to be Spongebob. And these were their best shows? That just goes to show how awful the entire lineup was.
    I thought Chowder was pretty cool. :/

Flapjack can go die a horrible fiery death, that much I'll agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    I thought Chowder was pretty cool. :/

Flapjack can go die a horrible fiery death, that much I'll agree with.
    I completely agree with you: Chowder wasn't so bad, but Flapjack was terrible and obnoxious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast