Thread: Sandstorm all-sorts (Competitive doubles team)

Default Sandstorm all-sorts (Competitive doubles team)

Hello folks, Philzone here.

Doubles, and VGC metagames, are my favourite battling environment. You need more strategy than in singles, and more pokemon can be used with "Viable" move sets, like musharna, and used with some good success.

The name is when I tried to think of something cryptic for a sandstorm goodstuff team. =]

So here they are:-

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect

Well here he is. That landshark who can decimate entire teams. Anyway he is very destructive, especially with Cresselia alongside him, with icy wind support. Dragon claw and Earthquake have good coverage, and good STAB. Rock slide is for flying types and bugs, namely volcarona and thundurus. Protect is standard for VGC, and here, it allows cress to slow down the foe with icy wind.

Yache berry is for ice moves, and adamant nature is to maximise damage, as icy wind helps alot

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 36 SAtk / 252 HP / 220 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Skill Swap
    - Psychic
    - Icy Wind
    - Helping Hand

The aurora that came too far south, Cresselia has a good place on my team, since it supports many and can hold its own in battle. Icy wind is crucial, since it can support many of the others in the team. Psychic gets STAB, and can stop conkeldurr and hitmontop in their tracks. Helping hand is a great support move, allowing chomp to get the KO he needs, or that extra oomph. Skill swap is special. After seeing it every where (inspired by Wolfe Glicke) I eventually gave in because of the effect. I can reset sandstorm, borrow the foes intimidate, and, most crucial, stop the common terrakion problem. Most whimsicott and terrakion combos start with terrakion protecting and whimsicott tailwinding, then beat up the next turn. I can then skill swap prankster while it tailwinds, then use prankster Skill swap to steal justified. It has saved me a few times. Swagger used to replace it, and actually won me some battles, by the foe hitting themselves instead.

Evs and nature are for special bulk, and a little offensive presence to destroy.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Rock Slide
    - Crunch
    - Fire Punch
    - Protect

This is my sandstorm setter. This guy is amazingly powerful. Rock slide stops flying types and bugs, while crunch halts cresselias, and other bulky ghost and psychic types. Ice punch is for dragons, like garchomp, but I am considering thunder punch. Fire punch stops scizor and ferrothorn, which i need soo much. Protect allows allys to stop fighting types.

Evs and IVs are so that it will be the sandstorm that is down (Hopefully), and so it has bulk and decent attack power.

Metagross @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Clear Body
    Adamant Nature
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Protect

This guy is very good. With thundurus, swag-lum is possible, and due to clear body, he is keeping that boost. Meteor mash hits very hard, and earthquake stops fire types. Ice punch is for chomp, ground types and flying types. Protect, again, is staple

Evs for a bulky tank.

Scizor @ Flying gem
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature
    - Bug Bite
    - Bullet Punch
    - Acrobatics
    - Protect

After a seemingly obvious ludicolo flaw, I added this guy. Technician bug bite is useful against cresselias, since most run sitrus berry, which I steal. Bullet punch can finish off foes, or seriously cause damage. Feint is rarely used, but good when it does. Feint wasn't used enough, so acrobatics was brought in to stop volcarona when he is out. Protect is so that the ally can nail the foe before it faints

EVs and nature are for bulk, whilst hitting hard. it also survives garchomps fire fangs

Thundurus (M) @ Red Card
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Swagger
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt

So common, but so good. This is the other side of the swag-lum with metagross, and scizor, but i rarely use scizor and swag-lum. Thunderbolt is so it isn't taunt bait, and deals reasonable damage to any non ground types, namely gyarados. Swagger for swag-lum. priority thunder wave is useful for metagross, so he can destroy. taunt stops stallers, and spore users, especially breloom and amoongus.

EVs for a fast and bulky support.

Here is the exportable version, for testing
        Spoiler:- Sandstorm all-sorts:

Improvements: Something other than thundurus for dealing with gyarados.

Have fun rating!
    Last edited by philzone; 4th January 2013 at 2:59 PM.

Is there a specific reason to have Ice Punch on Tyranitar? Most dragons get taken out by Crunch and Rock Slide. Only Garchomp and Hydreigon aren't as scared of Rock Slide or Crunch. Howeveer, your Cresselia does a good job at checking Chomp, and Garchomp can take out Hydreigon (for the most part). On top of that, Chople Berry doesn't seem too useful on Tyranitar. It will get KO'd by gem boosted CC. A Dark/Rock Gem or a Focus Sash would be a better idea.

On Cress, I suggest Psyshock > Psychic. I personally like that since Hitmontops are bulkier in SpD, and in sand, so are Terrakions, so you can get the most out of Psyshock. Plus, I see no direct advantage of Psychic outside of 10 extra power. I'd also like to suggest making room for 36 SpA EVs on cress to 2HKO Terrakions (4 HP/ 0 Def) and Hitmontops (252 HP / 4 Def) with Psyshock, and 3HKO non Yache Berry Garchomps (4 HP / 0 SpD) with Icy Wind. And, you may want to Consider TR on your Cress as well. Many of your Pokemon would benefit from Trick Room, and you can have an easier time with Rain.

Sorry about the short rate, I'll add some more later.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    Is there a specific reason to have Ice Punch on Tyranitar? Most dragons get taken out by Crunch and Rock Slide. Only Garchomp and Hydreigon aren't as scared of Rock Slide or Crunch. Howeveer, your Cresselia does a good job at checking Chomp, and Garchomp can take out Hydreigon (for the most part). On top of that, Chople Berry doesn't seem too useful on Tyranitar. It will get KO'd by gem boosted CC. A Dark/Rock Gem or a Focus Sash would be a better idea.

On Cress, I suggest Psyshock > Psychic. I personally like that since Hitmontops are bulkier in SpD, and in sand, so are Terrakions, so you can get the most out of Psyshock. Plus, I see no direct advantage of Psychic outside of 10 extra power. I'd also like to suggest making room for 36 SpA EVs on cress to 2HKO Terrakions (4 HP/ 0 Def) and Hitmontops (252 HP / 4 Def) with Psyshock, and 3HKO non Yache Berry Garchomps (4 HP / 0 SpD) with Icy Wind. And, you may want to Consider TR on your Cress as well. Many of your Pokemon would benefit from Trick Room, and you can have an easier time with Rain.

Sorry about the short rate, I'll add some more later.
    The trouble with focus sash is that fake out users are common, so sashes are usually broken quite quickly. Chople is there to stop the potential OHKO from fighting moves (eg mach punch from conkeldurr). I am considering fire/thunder punch on Ttar, so i have more coverage, esp. Gyarados.
    The EVs on cress sound good. probably take some off sp def. I was thinking about TR on cress. Psychic hits conkeldurr harder, but i may switch to psyshock.
    Oh, and the rate wasn't that short.
    Last edited by philzone; 4th January 2013 at 1:53 PM.

On T-Tar, I'd use Fire Punch > Thunder Punch since Tyranitar tends to draw out those Scizors.

As for Scizor, against Volcaronas, you probably won't get the chance to take them out with Acrobatics before they kill you with a fire move. I'm also a little iffy on running both Metagross and Scizor since they tend to check the same Pokemon (Tyranitar, Cresselia, Latios, etc).

On Thundurus, does it really need the speed EVs? With Prankster, 3/4 of its moves get priority, and on top of that you've got Thunder Wave, which will help slow down your opponents for you.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

You have protect on t-tar so fake out is no big deal, and if you lead alongside, something more threatening such as garchomp, he will more likely draw the fake out rather than t-tar as a sash isn't too obvious. You have 4 physical attackers and your 2 special attackers are more support pokemon than anything, try switching out scizor for a special attacker of your choice as intimidate ruins 50% of your team

I make youtube videos: http://youtube.com/macki2k

Sand Veil is banned in OU and below.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by azeem40 View Post
    Sand Veil is banned in OU and below.
    This is VGC, arguably the most broken tier outside of Hackmons.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!