Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coincidences between Pokemons and other non-Pokemon creatures

Exclamation coincidences between Pokemons and other non-Pokemon creatures

Use this thread to share any Pokemon that reminds you a creature of another franchise. Have in mind that the Pokemon must have been designed after, as the main point in here is discussing whether some of the cases were coincidence or not. I'll start with one.

In 1997, there was a boss in Megaman X4 named Web Spider. It was mostly yellow-colored and its main attack was throwing electrical webs.

In 2010, Gen V introduced Joltik and Galvantula. They are spiders, yellow-colored and throw electrical webs.

Coincidence????

In before Digimon! The time of its debut in North America couldn't be any better in that sense though, riding the wave. Sadly it was a tsunami in the playground.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Jigglypuff had a lot of similarities with Kirby. And Ledian and Pulseman
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

A lot of Pokemon have similarities to Pulseman (Volt Tackle IIRC was an attack in that game), but it's not really stealing, considering that GameFreak made Pulseman anyway.

Speaking of Pulseman... He definitely looks like Bisharp. (or Bisharp looks like him, rather)
    Also, if anyone has ever seen the Iron Giant, that giant can definitely fly and has a slight resemblance to Golurk, which learns fly.

Inspeakingof Bisharp, he kinda looks like Axem Ranger Red from SMRPG..
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    Jigglypuff had a lot of similarities with Kirby. And Ledian and Pulseman
    Jigglypuff looks like Kirby if you look their back, but they're totally different in the front and also their moves are very different as well.

About Pulseman, I didn't know his existence until some members commented about him in this thread. I don't know any of his moves, but upon lookin at his stereotype, he looks like much more with Bisharp, as many members above said.

Quote Originally Posted by Absoltastic View Post
    Speaking of Pulseman... He definitely looks like Bisharp. (or Bisharp looks like him, rather)
    Also, if anyone has ever seen the Iron Giant, that giant can definitely fly and has a slight resemblance to Golurk, which learns fly.
    Golurk and Iron Giant? Iron Giant is a robot with several weapons, and Golurk is rock and doesn't have any weapon equiped in it. Golurk reminds me the Golem of Monster Ranger serie.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 4th January 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Not sure if this counts but Dragonite and the Bag of Dragonite from Earthbound.
    Last edited by supersmew; 4th January 2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: How was I supposed to know I didn't capitalize "Earthbound"?!

Saaatoshi!

Quote Originally Posted by supersmew View Post
    Not sure if this counts but Dragonite and the Bag of Dragonite from Earthbound.
    Itoi said in an interview that the name for the item is a pre-reference to the future game Pokemon. One of the Pokemon species in the game is a Dragonite. The idea is that the item is a bag containing a dead Dragonite body and whenever used, One of the protagonists goes inside the Dragonite's skin and uses the Dragonite's moves inside the "suit" and then disposes the corpse whereever the battle took place.

Link: http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_dragonite

0.jpg

I was playing Donkey Kong with my boyfriend, and I was like "What is Zubat doing in the Banana Temple??"

Quote Originally Posted by EliJolesy View Post
    0.jpg

I was playing Donkey Kong with my boyfriend, and I was like "What is Zubat doing in the Banana Temple??"
    Hahaha! It looks like more with Crobat!

There's also the octillery-octorok thing. I definitely noticed that when running into octillery in SSBM.

And this guy always reminded me of sableye. Though he's only got one gem.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Jigglypuff looks like Kirby if you look their back, but they're totally different in the front and also their moves are very different as well.

About Pulseman, I didn't know his existence until some members commented about him in this thread. I don't know any of his moves, but upon lookin at his stereotype, he looks like much more with Bisharp, as many members above said.

Golurk and Iron Giant? Iron Giant is a robot with several weapons, and Golurk is rock and doesn't have any weapon equiped in it. Golurk reminds me the Golem of Monster Ranger serie.
    I guess the Jiggly/Kirby similarities are closer in the SSB series.
    But that Golem looks more like Regirock or Golem than Golurk...

Quote Originally Posted by Absoltastic View Post
    If you're going to compare Pulseman to any Pokemon, it's Rotom.

Tiamat from DND (a five-headed dragon) was quite legendary. And Hydreigon is the new pseudo-legendary. A stretch. But thinking of DND, Uni reminds me of Keldo, and Bobby Cubone (or maybe that's just Dry Bones)... Piranha Plant's like Victreebel, Goomba like Diglett, Shroomish, and Bidoof. Buzz Lightyear's shape is simar to Deoxys's in passing. When I first played SML, I thought the Kumo were like Tangela, Batadon were like Sigilyph, and the flying monster from world 1-1 was like Cofagrigus.

It seems Woobat and Swoobat fuse to make the Komory Bat Dream eater in Kingdom Hearts 3D.

3DS Friend Code: 1950 - 8194 -5373
    Ghost Friend Safari with Phantump, Lampent, and Driftblim

Spoiler:- Special Thanks:

Squirtle looks like koopa troopa and Foongus looks like Toad from Mario franchise.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    If you're going to compare Pulseman to any Pokemon, it's Rotom.
    Rotom? No way...

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    There's also the octillery-octorok thing. I definitely noticed that when running into octillery in SSBM.

And this guy always reminded me of sableye. Though he's only got one gem.
    Very cute! It could be a pre evo of Sableye, a baby ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
    Squirtle looks like koopa troopa and Foongus looks like Toad from Mario franchise.
    Weak coincidences... They just share the same animal/fungus they were based, and nothing more.

Check this image : Gangnam+Style+The+Origin.+OPPAN+SQUIRTLE+STYLEE_93ee67_4143559.jpg

Lol ! I know not a creature. It's just a meme, im sure you guys would have seen it.

Glalie has always reminded me of Darth Vader.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Well, I guess Golurk could be compared to almost any giant mecha with humanlike characteristics, and Pulseman, made by the same people, has had influence in quite a few Pokemon, not just one in particular.

I've always found Mienfoo and Winnie the Pooh humorously similar mainly just because of color, seeing that Mienfoo is not truly based on a bear

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Weak coincidences... They just share the same animal/fungus they were based, and nothing more.
    Shuckle looks more like a red-shelled koopa at least in colour scheme. Also, girafarig's dark head sure looks a lot like a chomper.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Shuckle looks more like a red-shelled koopa at least in colour scheme. Also, girafarig's dark head sure looks a lot like a chomper.
    It is unsure if Shuckle is based on a turtle. It can also be an insect (or even a mollusk) that lives inside rocks.

And about the "dark head" in the butt of Girafarig, as you said, really looks like a Chomper.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 6th January 2013 at 2:31 AM.

Not a creature but a coincidence from another video game. You transport items from the Dream World by putting them in the treasure chest. Reminds me of the first Paper Mario game with the intertwined chests located in Peach's Castle and Merluvlee's house.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Not a creature but a coincidence from another video game. You transport items from the Dream World by putting them in the treasure chest. Reminds me of the first Paper Mario game with the intertwined chests located in Peach's Castle and Merluvlee's house.

Yeah, I have never noticed this, but it is so a coincidence. Maybe Nintendo started recycling their own stuff...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast