Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Western Vs. Eastern influences in the Pokemon World

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    The pokes of gen 5 might be japanese, but, the region has lots of american influence. It's based on nyc, just looked at castelia city. Ad since it's based on an area in US, it has the ethnicity of US. There is actually a nice mix of white and black Americans, with the usual thing that most African Americans are good sports persons. That's why most of those basket ball players are african american.
    For me Castelia is as Eastern as it is Western, do remember Tokyo is the highest populated city in the world, it is also a very crowded place in which 30 million people are crammed into.

Solaceon and Oreburgh Town were to me very western, particularly american locations in Sinnoh which i can't really in anyway attribute to being eastern, i mean just look at all the cowboys and cowgirls in solaceon with their wide brim hats, boots with spurs, checkered shirts and overalls!

Furthermore,I'd like to know peoples opinions on Village Bridge is the place influenced by the East or West or both?

Speaking of Western cryptozoology, I'm actually amazed that we've never seen variations on some of the more famous stateside myths, namely El Chupacabra and the Jackalope. Such discussion obviously brings Bigfoot to mind, however, if we're going with the western interpretation of bigfoot (a single, elusive ape-like species whose existence is tangential to that of mankind, rather than the eastern idea of a Yeti or an Abominable Snowman, an ice monster - which is already expressed in Pokémon via Abomasnow), then I think it would NEED to be a one-off legendary.

Furthermore, in terms of speculation, someone previously mentioned Africa. To expand upon that, last Spring, I took a course on South African literature and was absolutely intrigued by the country and its many beautiful locales as it seemed like the PERFECT setting for a Pokémon adventure. It could be the basis for a truly original and aesthetically varied region that would contrast Sinnoh's plentiful "cold weather" species with a variety of hotspots for Pokémon who delight in humidity. Unfortunately, South Africa probably stands less of a chance of being interpreted than most other nations given the HORRIFIC racism that taints the nation's modern history.

If you've ever been to Disney's Epcot park, you've probably seen the representations that the park houses of various iconic national capitals - imagine if Game Freak were to follow such an example and create a Pokémon game wherein the region payed tribute to landmarks and cultures the world over - a large city full of paper lanterns wherein Dragon- types are revered that could explore Chinese architecture and be surrounded by Game Freak's homage to the Great Wall, another city with an expansive Underground subway system and a large bonging clock tower, perhaps even include a 007-esque Gym Leader? IMAGINE BATTLING THE ELITE FOUR IN THE COLOSSEUM? So too, as an American, I'd love to see other American cities (namely Las Vegas, Los Angeles [beyond Unova's Virbank], and my native Boston with its classical cobblestone) make their way into the Pokémon franchise.

O.k., that's my piece.
    Pokémon White friend code: 3697-0297-0043
    Nintendo 3DS friend code: 2320-6178-1681

seeking DW females
    can offer Marvel Scalew/ ExtremeSpeed (either gender)

Hum, well, Gen V was Americanly designed, but easternly created, while the opposite can be said for the other four Gens.

So technically, it's more of an American to Japan development thing, as Europe and Africa have had far less influence to Pokémon than the first two had, and other Asian loations haven't exactly shone all too much as well.

But oh well, that's just the words of a European/Asian here :P

Anyway, the regions are all very subtle on how it's balanced, even in Unova. As it might be based on USA (partly), it has a lot of Japanese influence too, as Castelia resembles Tokio as well as NYC, Opelucid's White is more of a JP homage to culture, while Opelucid's Black is more of a modern mixture between Japan and America.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Hum, well, Gen V was Americanly designed, but easternly created, while the opposite can be said for the other four Gens.

So technically, it's more of an American to Japan development thing, as Europe and Africa have had far less influence to Pokémon than the first two had, and other Asian loations haven't exactly shone all too much as well.

But oh well, that's just the words of a European/Asian here :P

Anyway, the regions are all very subtle on how it's balanced, even in Unova. As it might be based on USA (partly), it has a lot of Japanese influence too, as Castelia resembles Tokio as well as NYC, Opelucid's White is more of a JP homage to culture, while Opelucid's Black is more of a modern mixture between Japan and America.
    Please read through the thread before posting, then you may not post things that have already said. Not to mention this is a discussion thread in which people react to others opinions, posts and comments, so it is important you take that into consideration and read at least the posts on the page.

Sorry but cos i'm just being a party pooper, your points are very valid but weren't the first 4 GENs developed by the japanese? I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Please read through the thread before posting, then you may not post things that have already said. Not to mention this is a discussion thread in which people react to others opinions, posts and comments, so it is important you take that into consideration and read at least the posts on the page.

Sorry but cos i'm just being a party pooper, your points are very valid but weren't the first 4 GENs developed by the japanese? I could be wrong
    Hum, I did read them. And I didn't see it posted anywhere. Also, that is basically what this thread revolves around, so it should be allowed to be said to keep a point no?

And all of the gens are developed b GAMEFREAK, which is JP.

weren't the first 4 GENs developed by the japanese? I could be wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    And all of the gens are developed b GAMEFREAK, which is JP.
    Gens 1 through 4 were exclusively designed by japanese people, but in Gen 5 the Golett, Vanilite and possibly Deino lines were designed by an american guy. The rest are still japanese.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

For the most part Pokemon are often based on Yokai from old Japanese folklore. Yokai had several disturbing stories that often frightened people, particularly young children. Back in old times these old stories were treated with fear and terror because they were thought to be true but in more modern times Yokai have been redesigned to appear more light hearted and adorable. These new modern designs made Yokai more appealing to mainstream audiences however it also kept these famous characters very relevant in Japanese culture. Pokemon is a perfect example of this because of the inspirations of their designs are mostly rooted from the country's history. I found this out from reading an article on The Escapist.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...t-Spawned-Them

Its actually a good read and its educational. It also gave me more respect for the series from a design standpoint.

I found that its based off of the various regions in japan, like kanto to kanto, johto to chubu, 3rd gen is shikoku, shinnoh is hokkaido , unova kyuushu, 6th gen maybe chugoku region (I go off of the dietys of each region spirits animals lucky images etc) I also base it off of the look of similar detail to maping between pokemon and japan (If this is correct only 3 more gens until gen 9, wonder which country they will choose).
    Last edited by ven?; 8th January 2013 at 5:32 PM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

For me Castelia is as Eastern as it is Western, do remember Tokyo is the highest populated city in the world, it is also a very crowded place in which 30 million people are crammed into.

Solaceon and Oreburgh Town were to me very western, particularly american locations in Sinnoh which i can't really in anyway attribute to being eastern, i mean just look at all the cowboys and cowgirls in solaceon with their wide brim hats, boots with spurs, checkered shirts and overalls!

Furthermore,I'd like to know peoples opinions on Village Bridge is the place influenced by the East or West or both?
    This is a good idea.
    I looked at the pic on bulbapedia, and it looked American or British, but in the trivia section, it says it's Italian.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    The reason that thing was chosen for Pokemonification was because urban legends of that sort are unusually well-liked in Japan, though. So it's rooted in Western culture for a Japanese reason.
    Well the Mothman thing I have heard is very popular in Japan so I'm surprised he has never been Pokemonified. But your explanation would explain why "Them" from Majora's Mask are based off the Flatwoods Monster.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Well. Considering that the Pokemon series takes place in Japan, and that other continents exist outside of the game regions (re: Mew) of course there would be seom cultural influences. What is inexcusable tho is that freaking ice cream cone thing Vanillish, please knock me out cold before I vomit everywhere.

Golduck is a kappa, Ninetales is a kitsune, Meowth is a maneki neko, Farfetch'd is based off a Japanese proverb.

The latest region is based of France & The legendaries are based of European folklore!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12