View Poll Results: If you can't write a full review, what do you think I generally need to improve?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the Pokemon

2 16.67%
  • Aerodactyl, Mainly

2 16.67%
  • Regirock, Mainly

0 0%
  • Archeops, Mainly

1 8.33%
  • Gigalith, Mainly

1 8.33%
  • Rhyperior, Mainly

0 0%
  • Shuckle, Mainly

2 16.67%
  • It's all pretty much okay

1 8.33%
  • Everything needs a little tweaking

6 50.00%
  • I will write a full review

4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Pokemon Online Rock-Type Gym Leader Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous36m View Post
    Why not a trick room rock type team
    I don't trick room would be good for a rock-type gym leader but it is a nice idea. First off I don't think there are that many rock types that even know Trick Room.

He knows what he's talking about, really, so I'd back up everything he's said this far.
    Thanks Divine!

Anyway, I forgot about Eviolite Rhydon when I wrote that, I'd agree with that suggestion. Strange I missed it, it was right above Rhyperior on the list I was using... Anyway, yeah, TR seems like a good idea but Lunatone and Solrock are both awful. As for FEAR, it's certainly usable and would be a great way to surprise opponents unfamiliar with it, but if the opponent is immune to Sandstom your Aron can't take them. Ghosts are also immune to Endeavor, and Gengar can't be touched by Toxic either. It's certainly viable though, and it's a lot of fun to boot!

But yeah, deifinitely T-Tar, and due to Rock's general lack of Special Attackers outside Omastar (this is when having a Stratagem would be amazing, but I know this isn't CAP xD) I'm still recommending either a Special or Mixed set. I've had some success with BOAHTar, but... Its EVs are really awkward (you split them between 5 stats, and the nature boosts the 6th) and it's really tricky to use until you get used to it. It's pretty much SubPunch T-Tar that can handle Physical walls with Fire Blast/Ice Beam as well, with just enough to OHKO the most common on both ends and just enough HP for 101-subs with the rest given to bulk. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really familiar with using T-Tar, but it can be really good if you use it right.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

I am currently trying out the SubPunch T-Tar, and so far it's working wonders for me, so I think I'm going to stick with it in place of Gigalith. I'm also trying out Rhydon in place of Rhyperior, but I'm not really seeing all the great defenses against grass and water special, even with eviolite, maxed out EVs and Sandstorm :|

I gave Aron a shot, and for the most part it works, but i'm discovering just how often people have steel pokemon, which is resistant to sand and toxic, my only line of defense, so whether i use it or not may depend on the challenger.

Also, I agree Divine, all the pokemon loco suggested are holding up nicely, so I plan to use his/her variations of my pokemon.

Thanks again!
    ~AlexMonroe

Most things the others said are good (especially Loco's advice), and there aren't much other rock-types to choose from, so I guess I'll help you with your Shuckle.
    Shuckle is bad. It is non-existant offensively, so opponents can easily set up on it, with a little prediction. If you want to use it, though, I suggest this set:

Shuckle@leftovers
    Calm/Careful-Sturdy/Contrary(when using Shell Smash)
    252hp/4def/252sp.def
    -Toxic
    -Rest
    -Encore
    -Stealth Rock (If nothing else on your team has it)/Power Split(Essentially halves the opponent's offensive stats)/Shell Smash (With Contrary, boosts both defenses by one stage)

This is basically the best Shuckle can do. In sandstorm, and with maximum special defense and hp this Shuckle is almost unbeatable on the special side. Toxic is the only way of dealing damage, Rest is the only way of healing, and those are both necessary. Encore is a handy move, but requires some prediction, as Shuckle is the slowest pokemon around. All the options in the last slot sound very good, but actually Shuckle just sucks, so these are the best it can do, and the last two are quite gimmicky.
    The problem with the set is that you can't do a thing the few turns you're asleep.

Anyway, there is a second set you can use, but the gimmick level here is over 9000. So here it is:

Shuckle@leftovers/Life orb (longevity vs power)/Chesto berry
    Impish-Sturdy
    252hp/252att/4def
    -Power Trick
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake/Gyro Ball
    -Rest/Gyro Ball

You use this set to prove to your opponents that you have balls. If anyone dares to use this, they are cool and deserve to win the game. No, just kidding. This sets most important thing is Power Trick (Not to confuse with Power Split). Power Trick switches around your Attack stat with your Defense stat, so that you get huge attack and abysmall defense. Your special stats stay the same though. Warning: Only send Shuckle out against specially offensive opponents, or you WILL lose. Physical pokemon completely counter this, as Shuckle's Defense after a Power Trick is so small it's not even funny any more. When you have used Power Trick, you beat everyone with the appropriate move. Rest is an option to use with Chesto berry, to get back to full life once. If you have guts, you use Life orb, but Leftovers is the safer option. The EV's are to maximize Attack, which after power trick becomes Defense, so you are not instantly dead after a weak physical attack. Another option is to go with 252 ev's in Defense which will allow you to hit even harder after power trick, but the downside is you die to every single physical attack.
    This set fails to work because of Shuckle's speed. One thing this set can do what the other one can't is hurt poison and Steel types, which are immune to toxic.

So, I hope this helped if you really want to use Shuckle. I wouldn't recommend to use it on your team, but give these sets a try just once, for the lulz.
    Last edited by Manectrifier; 5th January 2013 at 8:25 PM.
        Spoiler:- DD stuff:

Power Trick Shuckle can work surprisingly well on a Doubles TR team, where it moves last on the turn it Power Tricks the first on the following turn thanks to TR, but yeah, in Singles stall Shuckle is your best bet. Power Trick can be hilarious if you can pull it off though. It's like sweeping with a Magikarp - ludicrously hard, but worth it for the lulz.

NOTE: I am NOT advocating attempting BP chains to set up a Magikarp for sweeping haha
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Power Trick Shuckle can work surprisingly well on a Doubles TR team, where it moves last on the turn it Power Tricks the first on the following turn thanks to TR, but yeah, in Singles stall Shuckle is your best bet. Power Trick can be hilarious if you can pull it off though. It's like sweeping with a Magikarp - ludicrously hard, but worth it for the lulz.

NOTE: I am NOT advocating attempting BP chains to set up a Magikarp for sweeping haha
    This is actually on my to-do list, along with winning an Ubers game thanks to Final Gambit Shedinja.

Also, this is hands down the best Shuckle set I've ever used, but it can't touch Steel and Poison types.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
    Bold - Contrary
    252 Defence, 80 HP, 176 Sp. Def
    -Shell Smash
    -Power SPLIT (Not Trick)
    -Toxic
    -Rest

Contrary Shell Smash is basically a Cosmic Power with the added effects of screwing Psych Up users over. The Attack/Sp. Atk/Speed drops are inconsequential on something that hits a stellar 119 Speed with a full investment and positive nature. After a few Shell Smash boosts, you're ready to try and Toxic stall your opponent to death. Power Split is fun as it cuts physical Attacker's damage output in half essentially, and Rest is really your only way of healing. Of course, this set is defeated by...

Substitute
    Steel and Poison types
    Critical hits
    Poison Heal pokemon
    Guts pokemon
    Heal Bell / Aromatherapy
    Phazing

Especially things like SubSD Terrakion and SD Scizor. You will get raped, but it's about your best option when it comes to Shuckle.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

If you're going to use Aron, IMO, CB Tar is a must to wipe all ghosts.

Aron @ Shell Bell
    EVs: Doesn't Matter.
    Ability: Sturdy
    - Endeavor
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    - Sleep Talk

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
    Ability: Sand Stream
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower

Now, probably the best rock type currently is Terrakion. You can either use a Double Dancer set or Choice Scarf/Band.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf/Band
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Ability: Justified
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Sacred Sword / Quick Attack

Quick Attack if you decide to use Band, SS otherwise.

Terrakion @ Air Balloon / Lum Berry / Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Ability: Justified
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

Now you need something to throw up some entry hazards so your options are well, Rhydon/Rhyperior, Crustle, etc.

Crustle @ Custap Berry / Leftovers
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
    Ability: Sturdy
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor

You can opt to switch the def and SpD EVs if you want it to take special hits better along with a Careful nature. Item choice depends on what you really want Crustle to do. Custap Berry allows Crustle to function as a lead better being able to throw up SR and 1 layer of spikes all the time unless facing a spinner or Magic Bounce user. Leftovers prolongs it's lifespan and let's it function as more of a sponge.

EDIT: So basically the team looks like Tyranitar / Aron / Cradily / Terrakion / Rhydon or Crustle / Archeops or Omystar.
    Last edited by Atrocious; 6th January 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Please do update 1st post with changes, then I can write my review
    Challenge the P4L League here

The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store

Diancie:
    -Both stores out of codes. Way to go Nintendo ._.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

I just updated the first post with all the changes I've decided to make so far.

~AlexMonroe

Yeah, I got to this kinda late, but...

You are required to have detailed descriptions for each of your Pokemon. If you PM me an updated version of your OP, I'll be happy to fix and unlock this for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12