View Poll Results: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bulbasaur

23 22.33%
  • Charmander

40 38.83%
  • Squirtle

25 24.27%
  • I've thought about it for at least 5 years and still don't have an answer.

15 14.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This old question once again...

Default This old question once again...

So, Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? This question should be answered comprehensively, including cuteness, ability in battle, and of course, what they evolve into. Please write below what you chose and why, giving more thought to it than simply "it's my favorite" or "I always use it".

As for me, I always struggle between Squirtle and Charmander. Squirtle looks far cuter, but Charizard is (generally speaking) a better sweaper in battles. If I had to answer though, I'd go for Squirtle.
    I wonder why that Articuno just used Mind Reader. What good could it do? Wait a moment...

That really depends the team you're planning to use in the game. Charmander and Venusaur have the better offensive stats.

Usually, I go with Venusaur (even for Gen III). Venusaur strikes me as more versatile in terms of playing style - are you going to rely on Sleep or just spam Razor Leaf? You're also probably going to have an easier early-game especially if you're not playing Yellow (which has access to Mankey, useful for Charmander users). Charizard, of course, with Fire Spin and its Gen I mechanics would definitely be the more promising one offensively. For Blastoise... there are better Water types out there like Starmie and Vaporeon.

If you're going with Charizard, you can find good Grass types in Victreebel and Exeggutor (though you'll need a Fly-er if you're not playing Yellow). If you're going with Venusaur, there are good Fire-types too like Arcanine and Magmar.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

Charmander becomes Charizard, which is one of the coolest Pokemon to ever exist. Its Speed combined with its Special Attack and accessibility to Flamethrower/Fire Blast make it one of the best Pokemon in-game.

I had Pokémon Yellow so naturally it was Pikachu. However, I probably would've chosen Bulbasaur if I had the choice. It's mostly because my brothers had made claims to Charmander and Squirtle as their own personal favorites due to the games they got, and also because, well... Bulbasaur is a great beginner's Pokémon. You'll easily breeze through the first two gyms with little to no problems depending on how you raised it. Sure, its speed is not the best, so you'll likely to not strike first in later battles, but its pretty versatile, and can take hits (except for its weaknesses, depending on the level of the opposing Pokémon and your own). Think of it as the Pokémon with whom on your first run-through you get used to the gameplay and figure out which is the best way to train Pokémon and develop a strategic move-set, so the most mistakes will be done on your poor Bulbasaur.

Also, Bulbasaur is adorable. Yeah, yeah, Charmander and Squirtle are cute, too, but Bulbasaur just looks so tough, but cute at once. Not to mention I feel the evolutionary line is much more interesting when it comes to the design.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I almost always choose Charizard. The fire types were my favorite and you can't obtain any until around the 7th gym

I have chosen all three at various points, and while Bulbasaur is my current favorite out of them, Squirtle was probably the one I picked the most, so it gets my vote. The reason for picking Squirtle is that it worked very well for me in the majority of the game, it could take down the first gym with ease and had a quite even match against the second. The third was probably the most troublesome one, but from what I can remember, it could be handled rather easily anyway. And by the fourth gym, it could get access to Ice Beam which meant Grass-types was no longer a problem. After that, the rest of the game was quite easy to get through.

wow all votes right now are equal and bulbasaur has 0

but squirtle

Hard to say. Blastoise is a beast, but there's always Lapras to use as well. Venusaur's no slouch, but grass in general isn't a great type. I'm going to go with Charmander because of the overall lack of fire types to replace him with.

If I want to go through the game quickly just to get Kabuto/Omanyte, I'll pick Bulbasaur. Otherwise I'll pick Charmander because it can fly eventually and I prefer it's line over Squirtle's, which is partly down to the anime

Definitely Bulbasaur. He is the one nobody picks, and can be used in quite a few different ways. Also, he absolutely shatters the first 2 gyms and has a resistance to the third.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Articuno I View Post
    So, Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? This question should be answered comprehensively, including cuteness, ability in battle, and of course, what they evolve into. Please write below what you chose and why, giving more thought to it than simply "it's my favorite" or "I always use it".

As for me, I always struggle between Squirtle and Charmander. Squirtle looks far cuter, but Charizard is (generally speaking) a better sweaper in battles. If I had to answer though, I'd go for Squirtle.
    The question would have been easier to answer had to told us what version you are playing but I give the answer as the best as I can.

Bulbasaur:

Bulbasaur is great at the beginning as it can take on the first three Gym before losing it edge and becoming a dead weight, remember grass and Poison type pokémon weren't great in generation 1.

Also since Bulbasaur is Grass/Poison you will struggle against Psychic, Ghost, Poison, Flying Fire, Bug (poison didn't resist bug type in gen 1), Fire, Ice and Dragon type, which become more and more common as you go through the game and you will end up relying on your other pokémon.

Charmander:

Ah Charmander my favourite pokémon. Now Charmander is harder to train since he is weak against the first two gyms, although in gen 1 it's really the second gym since none of Brock's Pokémon use rock type attack and catching a Butterfree will make a great back up.

Charmander learns some great move but at a later level. Also do note that in Red/Blue/Green Charizard can't learn fly and doesn't learn any flying type attack until gen 2 when it learns wing attack at level 36 so you might want to trade it over and evolve it and trade back.

However if you are playing Red/Yellow you might want to get a Growlithe instead or if you are playing Blue/Yellow you might want get a Magmar instead.

Furthermore Charizard will have tougher time trying to taking on Lorelei, Fire pokémon didn't resist Ice type in gen one, and Lance.

Squirtle:

Squirtle is basically the balance of the trio, strong against the first gym neutral to the second and weak against the third and so on. Squirtle also learns some great move and has the least weakness of the starter, however it's a pure type rather than a dual type and there are better water pokémon that you can catch in the game such as Lapras, Starmie, Vaporeon, etc.

Squirtle is okay but just don't expect much out of it.

Ultimately the choice is yours but personally I would chose Charmander but that is only because I am bias toward Charmander.

Quote Originally Posted by Unredemption View Post
    if you're not playing Yellow (which has access to Mankey, useful for Charmander users).
    You don't get Charmander until after the first gym, remember in Yellow you are force to start with Pikachu and too be honest any pokémon could beat Brock back in gen 1.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

fear my venusaur!
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I went with Charmander based solely on its evolved forms. I thought Charmander itself was kind of bland-looking, but Charmeleon and Charizard looked cool and the latter was really strong in the games. I normally don't like Fire-types, but I was willing to make an exception when it comes to the Charmander evolutionary family.

I always started w/ water starter in early gens. But I agree that for the final evo, Charizard rules.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

It's Bulbasaur, always! One of the best Pokemons I have ever had!

I've picked Squirtle every time. Blastoise is a great tank, but I use it mostly for offense.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Well, Bulbasaur is easier for new Trainers to train and use, but can quickly be defeated at the start of the gym due to all those Pidgey and Spearow in the Viridian Forest.
    But you have a type advantage against both Brock and Misty, and Lt. Surge's electric attack aren't super effective against grass types. Ivysaur is cool too, and the final evolution to Venusaur is powerful...but I think Venusaur's ugly ... LOL just my opinion.

Charmander is a good choice too. Easy training in the Viridian Forest against bug types (Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna) and the Bug Type Trainers.
    No advantage over Brock, and super weak against Misty's water types...can stand its own ground against Lt. Surge, especially because it should be a Charmeleon by then.
    Of course, if you evolve it into Charizard and train it well, your hard work and efforts pay off.

Squirtle, average training in the Forest and super effective against Brock. Same type as Misty's water types, but super effective against Lt. Surge.
    But a lot of Trainers have Pokemon weak to Squirtle. Plus, Blastoise will help you tons against Blaine...

It's an age old difficult question. At the end of it, however, I guess I'll choose you, Squirtle.

* my bad, I meant Lt. Surge's electric types are super effective against Squirtle.

I've started games with all three, but I like Squirtle the most. It gives you an advantage right at the first gym.
    When I started with Charmander, I found it a bit more difficult to beat Brock.
    Bulbasaur I don't really like it, nor it's evolutions. But being a grass-type, the first and the second gym are easier to beat.

But most of the times I start with Squirtle, I really like it. Strong at the beginning of the game, Bubble is unlocked very early and is the key to beat Brock easily.
    In result to that, I lose a lot of time trying to get a Pikachu in Veridian Forest (to have an edge over Misty), sometimes I get it, others I don't and simply go with a Ratata.

So, Squirtle it is.

I've never played red or blue only yellow but if I had to it would be a tie between squitle and charmander. Squirtle because I was a squirtle in pmd darkness and charmander because carizard is really powerful and looks great

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

I always picked Charmander. In Gen 1, it looked cuter than the other two, and it became a dragon. What's not to love?

Furthermore Charizard will have tougher time trying to taking on Lorelei, Fire pokémon didn't resist Ice type in gen one, and Lance.
    Is that why he kept getting frozen? This explains much...but it also raises more questions. Why aren't Fire Pokemon resistant to Ice Pokemon in Gen 1? Was it a mistake, like the Ghost/Psychic Pokemon?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I selected Charmander on the poll. It was my favourite Pokemon back in Gen I. It became my favourite mostly because of the anime and how I thought that Ash's Charmander was stronger than his Bulbasaur and Squirtle. I also liked its design the best.
    Today, it's probably still my favourite of the Kanto starters, though Squirtle comes a close second (Water's my favourite type now).

That said, I've used the starters pretty much evenly on my Gen I games. I obviously started with Pikachu on Yellow, but I have always also used Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur on my team when playing through that game. I started with Squirtle on Blue and Bulbasaur on Red because I felt they were the best fits for the teams I planned for those games. Not too long ago, I bought a copy of Green version and made sure to start with Charmander.

I really can't pick one over the other, I love them all equally much.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

The bulbasaur line its superior to every in the universe and chariza and blastoise are inferior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast