Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you thing GF screwed up with lavender

Question Do you thing GF screwed up with lavender

I was just seeing a youtube video and this question came up. It says that most stuff in all regions are usually similar to other regions erg, every region has a big city, a port, a pokemon tower thing, etc. BUT, there has never been a city since gen 1 that was like Lavender town. No other town which was creepy and solely based on death.
    There have been pokemon tower things but most of them are close to the city and those cities have no connection with death. Look at mistralton city. It has celestial tower close to it, but, it is a big, happy city and is a major airport in unova. Far from the insignificant, sad city of Lavender.
    Even the lavender town of later games is nothing compared to the red and blue ones. Those games portray Lavender as a 'reformed' city.

SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?

No, it didn't screw nor ruin the city. Also, Lavender Town didn't scare that much, in my opinion, even if a child is playing.

They didn't screw it up. And Lavender town isn't based on death.
    Lavender Town is known as the largest grave site of Pokémon in Gen 1.

The vibe, the setting, the landmarks, the music. It was done on purpose to give the city its own identity.

.: Pumping it up for November!!! | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

.: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Thing? No, it's a loved town by many fans due to its creepy nature and malevolent feel throughout.

It was (and still is) one of the few locations that actually have a unique feel to them. The controversies surrounding the background music (the original one) only add to its character.

As to whether the town actually scared the living daylights out of children, I daresay with the final music (in the international version) you probably wouldn't get nightmares simply by playing the game.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

I never really thought it was scary. As for why there weren't any more towns like it, well, that's probably because it was essentially a pointless town, the purpose of which could be shunted off into a minor landmark (as evidenced by the existence of Mt. Pyre, the Lost Tower, and the Celestial Tower).
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I don't think they screwed up, I mean a game is planned out so it was intentional.
    I thought it was interesting they actually spoke about Pokemon dying. Before that town the thought of pokemon dying never really had occurred to me.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

They didn't screw that up and.... I actually liked that town... It was interesting and unexpected.
    Shaymin is amazing!
    ~ ★

I, for one, LOVE Lavander Town. I do my fare share of research, and I'm sure all of you have heard of the Buried Alive and his White Hands, and Lavander Town Syndrome. I am one of the few people who really research these things, and even though I've never played Gen 1 games (Which I plan to get someday), I can assure you that they're 90% fake. Yes, while Lavander Town was based on death, you can't expect kids to really know that. If we EVER get remakes, I'm sure it'd still be the same. In HG/SS, I believe it was slightly changed. The music was lower, and the town wasn't as dreadful. Nor was there a tower, instead, there was a regular building. Nor was there that girl who asks you about ghosts.

"Then I guess that white hand in your shoulder isn't real too..."
    ^This is where Buried Alive and his White Hands was most likely made off of.

And in BW2, you have that Ghost Girl and that Haunted House o Reversal Mountain, which is pretty sad and can be frightening for most kids. I found it quite amusing, but what can you expect from a girl who has cold blood rushing through her veins?

GF has screwed up some things in the Pokemon World, but not Lavander town. I mean, you HAVE to have some higher content once in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

Woah ! I got totally different views from outside serebii about this !
    It's nice to know that real pokefans share my view, I never saw Lavender as anything creepy when I played pokemon red.
    Last edited by carboncopy; 6th January 2013 at 6:08 AM.

No I loved Lavender Town, the fact that the RBY Lavender Town was like that gave it the unique identity people talk about today. GSC/HGSS ruined it with the radio tower if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?
    Children aren't stupid they know that living thing eventually die, Game Freak did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Unredemption View Post
    The controversies surrounding the background music (the original one) only add to its character.
    There is no such controversies regarding with Lavender Town music, that was a stupid made up story set up to trick people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unredemption View Post
    I daresay with the final music (in the international version).
    It was the same music worldwide, you really shouldn't believe everything on the internet.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Children aren't stupid they know that living thing eventually die, Game Freak did nothing wrong.

There is no such controversies regarding with Lavender Town music, that was a stupid made up story set up to trick people like you.

It was the same music worldwide, you really shouldn't believe everything on the internet.
    GF did change the music from the original r/g, it had some 3 extra tones. But, it didn't lead to suicides, that's for sure.

Lavender Town is designed to be like that and have you seen Japanese anime?A lot more deep and creepy stuff are in there.

Lavender Town is one of the most (if not the most) iconic towns in Pokémon.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I always liked its eerie and mysterious atmosphere, even as a child.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

I remember being little and the music would make me feel wierd, or hurt my ears. I would turn down the volume in that town, but at later times I would come and turn it to a low volume so I could hear the whole song without hurting my ears.

Yeah it was different and a little creepy, but I don't remember being scared by it. I actually like the music now; moreover from GSC and FR/LG but its kind of grown on me.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

No, I think the towns in Gen 1 were the smallest towns of all, so only one or two things defined most of them; safari zone, manison & lab, museum... Moving the tower out of town does make the town seem less morbid, but it also makes the tower more like a shrine, and less western.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Phasmophobia is the fear of Ghost, Spectrophobia is fear of Mirrors.

They didn't screw up Lavender town. It was famous for it's creepy atmosphere of the haunting in that Tower. In Gen II & IV since you already liberated the town & Tower, it had a sad atmosphere since this town is now in peace.

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

When I played Red version as a child, I don't remember finding it creepy at all. I remember finding the music in the town to be dreadfully annoying, but not creepy. Also, because I have clearly been living under a rock, what's this controversy with the music that people are referring to?

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

I don't think they screwed up with Lavender. I really like the place, it appeals to me.
    It could have a few more interesting visitationspots though

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    When I played Red version as a child, I don't remember finding it creepy at all. I remember finding the music in the town to be dreadfully annoying, but not creepy. Also, because I have clearly been living under a rock, what's this controversy with the music that people are referring to?
    They say the music made kids want to go kill themselves and that only the kids could hear the overly high piteched annoyance because the adult ear can't because of it being fully developed. I've also heard of another thing, words or hodden messages in the music or disorted scenery. Long story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    The controversy is the fact that allegedly, there were frequencies in the original RB Japanese Lavender Town music that caused young children listening to the song through headphones to commit suicide. Personally I find this stupid, and the BURIED ALIVE original Pokémon Tower boss to be a better creepypasta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

So it's a creepypasta...yeah, not really what I'd call a controversy, just a conspiracy. So yeah, no, they did not screw up with Lavender Town. Besides, there are cemetaries in towns in the real world yes? What's so bad about there being one in a game?

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

They did good with Lavender. One of my favorite cities actually. I'm honestly glad they haven't tried to clone it
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

Fire Red Team (0 badges):

Emerald Team (3 badges):

Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

They didn't make a mistake with Lavender Town. The Tower being removed for a Radio Station in the Johto games shows 'evidence' that Game Freak thinks otherwise, but I personally think that, without the Team Rocket invasion and the Rival Battle, there was no reason for the town at all, so they put the plot-relevant Radio Station there for the people going through Kanto to need to visit there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast