Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you thing GF screwed up with lavender

I don't believe Game Freak screwed up with Lavender Town. I think it's a good idea to have at least one town based solely around legends and beliefs of ghosts (honestly, Ecruteak City creeped me out a little bit more than Lavender Town did). It helped add to the surprise creepy in that part of the game, which I believe all children's games/shows/movies should have at least a little bit of. There's still really creepy things in the Pokémon games like the Distortion World, the PokéDex entries, the Old Chateau, and a few other places/events that happen dealing with ghosts/death. I really don't like it when things for kids skirt around the concept of death, so for Pokémon to have a whole town around it (or heck, Ghost-types) makes it one of the reasons why I love the games so much.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireBlueEyes7799 View Post
    They say the music made kids want to go kill themselves and that only the kids could hear the overly high piteched annoyance because the adult ear can't because of it being fully developed. I've also heard of another thing, words or hodden messages in the music or disorted scenery. Long story.
    Actually, it has to do with hearing loss... people over 25 generally lose their ability to hear a certain tone (which is now used to drive teens away from stores), but as I can still hear it (lucky me -.-) and haven't heard it in Lavender, and I’ve seen the unconvincing creepy pasta about this… so, well, it’s BS.

There is a song that 16 or so people's suicides really were attributed to, and some really did mention in their suicide notes, it's called 'Gloomy Sunday'.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - 10% off $15+)
    The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: When communicating, dolphins use a signature whistle to let others know who's singing.

Death is part of life just like mating. So I dont think GF was screwed up. Besides there's always a memorial site for death in every gen. And the 'newest trend', disappearing ghosts and ghost houses.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Honestly, as I mentioned, I find White Hand and BURIED ALIVE to be freakier than the faked suicides. I remember getting scared over the alleged original boss of Lavender Town's quotes, before and after the battle: "I'm lonely. So very lonely... Won't you please join me?" And if you lose, "Finally... Fresh meat." And then you see BURIED ALIVE holding your character, dead and dripping with blood on a Game Over screen. *shudders* What's odd is that in prototypes of RB this was the genuine boss of Lavender Town. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

In an old interview with Satoshi, Satoshi stated that Pokemon faint because he wanted people to respect death. "Respecting death" is no exception for Lavender Town, where trainers pay their respects to departed Pokemon.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    SO, now comes my question, do you think GF thought that they went too far by putting a city solely based on death in a child's game and kinda screwed up ?
    A lot of the 'creepiness' comes from us, older, looking back and over analyzing the situation.

And the replacement of Pokemon Tower with the Radio Tower probably comes from the Rocket controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Nah they actually did a great job on making simple minded kids thinks that its really "Scary, and Disturbing" Like some peopl who made their own stories and "controversy" about suicidal attempts after listening to the music and spread it based on their fear over a Pokemon game lol, seriously

personally i think its ok.

Just saying, I don't see how music without lyrics could do that to kids. I'm sorry, but just no. There are other reasons why kids could choose to do that. [What do I know? I never played Red or Blue... My first game was Emerald.. By the sound of this that might be a good thing...]
    I'm saying this from the show, and from what others have said. It sounds to me like yes, they screwed up a little. I just hope that game was rated E10+ rather than the usual rating E. The one thing that sounds scary about it to me is the boss battle Neon Squirtle was talking about. Seriously, that just sounds bad...

Quote Originally Posted by *~Silver*~ View Post
    Just saying, I don't see how music without lyrics could do that to kids.
    Some pseudo-science poppycock about hidden frequencies messing with the children's undeveloped brains.

I think the whole suicide myth is ridiculous.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Some pseudo-science poppycock about hidden frequencies messing with the children's undeveloped brains.

I think the whole suicide myth is ridiculous.
    Okay. I agree that this suicide thing is ridiculous beyond belief...

Yeah, it'd been better if they threw in some Fighting types.
    o___0 That was meant to be sarcastic, but can you imagine if the Channelers had Ghost/Fighting teams, just for no reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Lavender Town is the best <3

Lavender Town never really scared me much as a kid, it was just the music that I always muted. Now that we are older, we just over-anylize this and make it a much bigger deal than it really is. Especially with that suicide story and "Lavender Town Syndrome," it is simply ridiculous.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

I'm going to end this debate now. There never was any Lavender Town Syndrome/suicides/diabeetus/acne. It all started from a creepy pasta that used the high pitch frequency thing as basis for their stories. They were written in a manner that suggested that it was real. Obviously if it's on creepy pasta it's not real, however many authors write like that for a better scare effect in their stories. I think it is true that the music has frequencies that younger people find to be irritating if listened to at a high enough volume. However it does not cause suicides, cancer, aids, or anything else. It is no more real than the creepy boot leg copies like strangled red and lost silver. Actually I think someone has made or is making a Cursed Black version.

As far as "screwing up" Lavender Town. Far from it, there is a reason why Lavender town is still talked about and remembered instead of Pewter City. It had a creepy vibe and introduced death to the series. I thought the chandlers in the tower were creepy too.
    FC 3351-5069-8758
    Dark type friend safari with Pawniard, Crawdaunt, and Liepard

3x Shiny Halloween 2013 Pumpkaboo, Shuppet, and Drifblim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12