Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you struggle in Fan Fics?

Usually for fanfiction, it's the overall plot. It takes me a rather long time coming up with plots, mostly because I'm a huge perfectionist; and I sabotage myself. It's rather upsetting, but I'm usually able to come up with pretty good plots if I see it through.

For regular fictional works, character names. I've adapted the drawing them and showing them to family, asking for name ideas. c:

I'm just really impatient, I have an idea and I want to get it across as soon as I can, even I this includes the chapter bein badly spelled and the grammer is all over the place. I think I need to take my time, I don't mbow
    For everyone who likes stories you can read my first ever fan-fic here!

]

I'm really impatient, and even key elements in a story i write will bore me because I want to get to something I had planned earlier rather than important transitions. Also, I can't get people to read it. Ughhh.

Me? well I think its spelling and grammar. Though stories plots for me isn't that hard. If you have trouble creating names, don't just use the first name you can think of for that OC pokemon or human.

Quote Originally Posted by NightmareHybrid View Post
    I haven't posted my fanfic yet, because of what annoys me the most at this point in time: NAMES. I can think of names for the Pokemon, but the human names are too difficult to think up. I have a story planned through, I began writing it, than I'm stuck. I don't know what to name the main character. I'm considering making my story Pokemon only, but that would mean making an entirely new story. I have an entire story planned out, but no freaking names. It's annoying.
    I have a lot of characters in my stories so here is what I do along with some other hints:

Sometimes, especially if it is not a major character, I just look pick a letter and work my way through names until I find something that fits. "A... Ashley.No...Alexis...No. Amanda. No....Aaron...YES!"
    Another thing I do is just remember names I like when I am watching TV or reading and evan combine names too. "Oh. Mercedes... thats a cool name, I will put it in the name bank." A couple weeks later when there is a girl that needs a name I already have one.
    One other thing I do is just think of names you know and just keep working with it till it works. I needed one for a male character and I decided I liked "Evan" but I needed a last name. For whatever reason I began thinking of NFL Players on the Falcons roster and using "Matt Ryan" and "Michael Turner" I had it narrowed down to "Evan Ryan or Evan Turner". I decided on Evan Ryan because I liked it more.
    Names can be as simple as that. WHAT DO YOU LIKE?

Another thing that Authors do is try to have some sort of connection or meaning to the name. Or they use a word in another language for the last name to help add meaning.

Hopefully this helps-If not P.M. me an I could try to give some better advice.

My number one and two current problems are easy to name.

1.Commas, these are my worst enemies. I tend to make comma errors in my writing in certain situations unfortunately, when it comes to grammar I usually go above and beyond every chapter and quadruple check the work over the course a week with various other scene checks in between. Though, thankfully, comma errors are something can be corrected easily and the problem can be fixed with time easily if one's mind is stuck on the notion. I'm happy to know that with time my comma errors are less and less.

2.Flowing description, detail, and dialogue. What I mean is I have trouble making it smooth and natural.

Ryuu launched the capsule at the Dragon and the strong sphere forced the beaten-up Brutal Pokémon inside. There was an internal struggle that caused the sphere to wiggle for a few seconds but it soon stopped as indicated by a small spring of sparkles that popped from it.
    She had been completely worn-out and mentally drained, trying to fight to stay awake would have been a meaningless struggle.
    I don't know but I feel as though this could look and sound much better and natural. I just can't seem to make it have its own style or current or at least make said course sound less stiff and more flexible. It's hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    My number one and two current problems are easy to name.

1.Commas, these are my worst enemies. I tend to make comma errors in my writing in certain situations unfortunately, when it comes to grammar I usually go above and beyond every chapter and quadruple check the work over the course a week with various other scene checks in between. Though, thankfully, comma errors are something can be corrected easily and the problem can be fixed with time easily if one's mind is stuck on the notion. I'm happy to know that with time my comma errors are less and less.

2.Flowing description, detail, and dialogue. What I mean is I have trouble making it smooth and natural.

I don't know but I feel as though this could look and sound much better and natural. I just can't seem to make it have its own style or current or at least make said course sound less stiff and more flexible. It's hard to explain.
    I know that feel. It's hard to word descriptions naturally when you're not sure about it.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

i have been having trouble with describing overall scenes in fan-fictions. It's not really hard to write the basic picture for example, "The orange light of the sunset glinted through the pink cherryblossom petals," that's easy for me, except i usually second guess myself often and i keep editing those types of scenes and either adding more or less to it. in the end descriptive scenes really delay me from posting my fiction. (i know that's something kind of stupid to have trouble with though..)

More or less writing good OCs.

Point of view. I hadn't really noticed I had this problem until some readers pointed it out. I had continually switched perspectives so briskly that it was hard to follow. Now I see it, and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Embrace

A breeder joyously hatches a riolu for a client. To the dismay of the hatchling, the client never returns to claim him. Faced with an abandoned pokémon, the breeder vows to find the riolu's trainer and family.
    (Better banner coming soon.)
    Current - Chapter 1: The Client.

Coming up - Re-writing Chapter 2

Spoiler:- 4th Gen Eggmove (Any Nature/Gender):

I'm working on an idea I've had for a while andI've realized that my main characters are Gary dues and Mary sues.. They are Adlai kind of hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
    I'm working on an idea I've had for a while andI've realized that my main characters are Gary dues and Mary sues.. They are Adlai kind of hollow.
    Wait, what? Gary Stus and Mary Sues? And what do you mean by the last sentence?

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

I have a very strong weak point... bad descriptions, AND boring endings to sentences.

....Plus, my own characters >_> even though I have a strong imagination.

Sadness though. Descriptions normally bring out the best in everyone. Where it's my main focal weakness.

Credit to Bru for my banner <3

I think my biggest problem is being able to stay committed to writing for long periods of time because of real world commitments. Between school, work, and everything else it seems I always get bogged down and unfortunately my writing suffers as a result. My new goal is to get a chapter done at least every two weeks and post a review daily. If I can get into a rhythm I think I can finally get completely committed to writing. Hopefully anyways
    Click the Banner below to read my newest fan-fic, Titans of Kanto.

All credit for the banner goes to the glorious Brutaka!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake76 View Post
    I think my biggest problem is being able to stay committed to writing for long periods of time because of real world commitments. Between school, work, and everything else it seems I always get bogged down and unfortunately my writing suffers as a result. My new goal is to get a chapter done at least every two weeks and post a review daily. If I can get into a rhythm I think I can finally get completely committed to writing. Hopefully anyways
    This is true for me as well. I just got back from an almost year long hiatus.
    Embrace

A breeder joyously hatches a riolu for a client. To the dismay of the hatchling, the client never returns to claim him. Faced with an abandoned pokémon, the breeder vows to find the riolu's trainer and family.
    (Better banner coming soon.)
    Current - Chapter 1: The Client.

Coming up - Re-writing Chapter 2

Spoiler:- 4th Gen Eggmove (Any Nature/Gender):

Well I always seem to be able to have a bunch of ideas I think my biggest problem is conveying them. I think if I were to have my story in a way such as a visual aspect or an easier way to portray story elements I wouldn't have as much as a hard time. But because Fan Fiction is all...words, I have trouble really depicting what I want others to see and of course my grammar and basic literary skills are pretty poor.
    {CURSED by the Random Number Goddess}

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
    "We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different...Well who knows?" -Meowth
    "It's more important to master the cards you're working with than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." -Elite Four Grimsley

Levels and statistics are just numbers.

now I have a new problem. I have too many ideas.

I struggle with writers block and losing interest in writing the fic altogether, by the 3rd and 4th chapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Writer's block is my worst nightmare. I tend to have some creative ideas, but most of the times I have a lot of troubles writing them down (and the fact that I write them in a foreign language doesn't help me at all). Also, I tend to have problems juggling between my fanfics and real life, and if I stay away for too long I tend to lose my energy and will.

Recently I'm trying to bring myself into finishing Chapter 8 for my Super Smash Bros fanfic, but it's quite hard to restart.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Hi! It's me again.

I guess another thing I have a bit of difficulty with in fanfiction is writing chapters which I haven't planned out ahead of time, particularly filler chapters. I do try to keep in mind what has happened and what I plan on having happened later in the story, so I can try to figure out what needs to happen before I move onto the next parts of the story.
    Formerly known as EeveeandKirliafan.

Check out my fanfic! Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Reflecting Balance

Latest chapter: Chapter 29: "I... I don't know what's wrong with me today..."

Also, for those interested in Winx Club: A Wizard's Perspective

I usually have trouble with romance and fight scenes. I also hav trouble with fight scens at times to the point where I sometimes have a friend to help m write them.

Pokémon X (3DS) FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Type Grass: Petilil, Pansage, Gogoat

Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge)
        Spoiler:- Badges Won:

Writer's block is my worst enemy ever; even worse, it often comes in the middle of a story. It's my biggest weakness.

Another is setting the scene; I am good - brilliant even, as said by others, though I'm personally not sure - at describing WHEN, and ONLY WHEN, I remember to. Otherwise, I forget, and just write... I mean, I add the occasional personification thing about the atmosphere/surroundings, but I hardly ever impulsively do in-depth setting-the-scene type chapter/paragraphs.

Another thing is shortening some sentences. I tend to use really long sentences all the time in my writing. Sometimes I find it difficult to vary the sentence length, and it gets confusing for some people...

They're the only things I can think of for now. :/
    Private Detective regarding behaviour and problems; if you have a problem, you may find some benefit in talking to me. May.

I'm willing to help anybody if it raises their chances of solving the issue.

Plus... all I am is bored these days.

I find that I have a good imagination, and with the fic I'm writing right now, I have a general idea of what 'big things/climaxes' are going to happen. However, I find it difficult to write/describe the scenes in between, and I often don't go into much detail with those parts, which can make the whole chapter weak >.< This goes in hand with 'filler' chapters aka the chapter/s before/after the chapter I'm really looking forward to writing because of what's going to happen in it.

I somtimes forget to 'show, not tell', and find some of the romance-y stuff hard to do.

And who could forget trying to find another word for 'said' :/

My biggest challenge by far is always starting it up. It goes so slow, until I actually get that foundation I laid down. Once that's over with, at least my words flow onwards from there.
    Celestial Frontier Brain -- Weather Domination (BW OU)

Spoiler:- My Trophy Case:

Spoiler:- My Favorite Groups/Guilds:

I have claimed Volcarona! Tremble, ye mighty, and despair!

Currently experiencing very heavy writer's block. Completely stopped to write. Even I open my documents to reread the previous written chapter to evoke myself to continue, I just cannot.

Additionally, real world problem is now getting right onto my head. Until all my personal living problems are solved, I guess I have no choice but to stop my fic for half to one year......
    (NOOOOOOO!!!!!!)
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast