Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: No More Random Battles?

  1. #1

    Default No More Random Battles?

    Why don't any of the main characters have battles with random trainers anymore? Everyone they battle seem to become rivals. I'm not even necessarily talking about a COTD when I say random trainer. I'm thinking back to episodes like in the Orange Islands in the episode featuring Prima. Before battling her, Ash battled a trainer with a Persian and Tauros. They battled and then that trainer left. That was it. I'd personally like to see some more random battles like that, rather than see the trainers get new rivals or spend a day with them every time.

    What are your thoughts? We would get so many more battles that way too I bet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,518

    Default

    The show is mainly about meeting new people along the way of a journey, most of the time in every series the people they battle will be befriended in some way. Completely random opponents from BW that I can recall are the Dewott guy in the first Don Battle Club and the random opponents in tournaments like the Simisage guy. Overall I'd be fun to see them do more random battles like you do in the games, but it'd also be quite meaningless overall in the writer's minds I think and it probably won't happen a lot.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,074

    Default

    Unfortunatly that never happened and never will happen in the anime.

    I would like to see random battles once in a while but the anime isn't written that way.

    Situations like those two kids that fougth Satoshi in a double battle to happen frequently would be cool.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,349

    Default

    The writers cbf to put forth any real effort in their episodes nowadays. All that matters is to lighten the load of the animators a bit more and sell some more merch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,152

    Default

    How random are we speaking?

    *Imagines Ash walking past a trainer stood completely still*

    Trainer: !
    Ash: What the?
    Trainer: Check out my powerful bug types!
    Iris: Is this kid okay?
    Cilan: He has an unusual taste..

    *Battle stuff.. The battle ends, trainer throws his money at Ash and runs*

    That random? I'm only kidding, I know what you mean.. but really they've never been that common. I can't even remember the last time one happened outside of a tournament.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,669

    Default

    I noticed the trend back in Sinnoh, but Unova seems to have taken it to an extreme with virtually every Trainer that Ash has fought showing up for Unova League.

    We do get a lot of practice battles. Maybe they should have some random battles in the beginning of the episode instead of Training. Then again, that'd actually be beneficial to Ash since he'll battle a variety of trainers so they won't do that.

  7. #7

    Default

    Cuz This is Best Wishes, they don't care about training, its all about luck of the draw.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,387

    Default

    I think th the first random battle he had in BW was vs Stephan in his debut. Then he became a rival, whom ironically was a better handled rival than Trip.

    I like those random CotD's like Soran and Riiku.

    Random : PokéRadar


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I noticed the trend back in Sinnoh, but Unova seems to have taken it to an extreme with virtually every Trainer that Ash has fought showing up for Unova League.

    We do get a lot of practice battles. Maybe they should have some random battles in the beginning of the episode instead of Training. Then again, that'd actually be beneficial to Ash since he'll battle a variety of trainers so they won't do that.
    But that is good, the tournament kids being in the league specially, it means that they were all good and all had some kind of goal not just some random kid taking part in a random tournament, I really liked that the writers finally did that with the league.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Cuz This is Best Wishes, they don't care about training, its all about luck of the draw.
    This has nothing to do with BW, this NEVER happened in the anime, thats what we are talking about.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    This has nothing to do with BW, this NEVER happened in the anime, thats what we are talking about.
    yes it has. back in AG, an episode started with ash and Torkoal battling a random trainer with a scizor. I believe this was the episode where ash met drake. and it was a random battle and a random trainer not a COTD
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    But that is good, the tournament kids being in the league specially, it means that they were all good and all had some kind of goal not just some random kid taking part in a random tournament, I really liked that the writers finally did that with the league.



    This has nothing to do with BW, this NEVER happened in the anime, thats what we are talking about.
    What about the kid that Ash battled using Chikorita at the beginning of one Johto episode? They didn't finish the battle but it still happened.

    Also, at first i thought Kenyan/Stephan would be CotD, never thought he'd be recurring o.O

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I noticed the trend back in Sinnoh, but Unova seems to have taken it to an extreme with virtually every Trainer that Ash has fought showing up for Unova League.
    Is that really all that bad, though? The only ones this even applies to really are Katharine and Virgil, the rest all came from the Don George tournaments, and honestly, it makes sense to see a lot of trainers who we saw before in the League.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Unfortunatly that never happened and never will happen in the anime.

    I would like to see random battles once in a while but the anime isn't written that way.

    Situations like those two kids that fougth Satoshi in a double battle to happen frequently would be cool.
    Well in DP Ash battled that guy with the Probopass though right. That was kinda random. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyAsADunsparce View Post
    Well in DP Ash battled that guy with the Probopass though right. That was kinda random. I'm pretty sure there are more examples.
    He had some in BW too, we can say Swama is random even if it was plot driven, it was a one time thing, the twin kids like I mentioned before, Koharu was a one time thing she is taking part on the league though which is cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Is that really all that bad, though? The only ones this even applies to really are Katharine and Virgil, the rest all came from the Don George tournaments, and honestly, it makes sense to see a lot of trainers who we saw before in the League.
    I said this back in the first tournament I believe, I think it was a great writer decision better then see 100 people who don't know about.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Hyperbolic Time Chamber
    Posts
    316

    Default

    They should bring random battles back in the gen 6 anime it makes the games and anime a little bit closer.
    My Pokemon Teams
    Pokemon Platinum Version

    Pokemon Black Version 2

    I'm an Atheist and I'm proud to be one if you are one too paste this in your signature

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterpokemonrule View Post
    Why don't any of the main characters have battles with random trainers anymore? Everyone they battle seem to become rivals. I'm not even necessarily talking about a COTD when I say random trainer. I'm thinking back to episodes like in the Orange Islands in the episode featuring Prima. Before battling her, Ash battled a trainer with a Persian and Tauros. They battled and then that trainer left. That was it. I'd personally like to see some more random battles like that, rather than see the trainers get new rivals or spend a day with them every time.

    What are your thoughts? We would get so many more battles that way too I bet.
    Not everyone they battle becomes rivals, Ash has battled a few people throughout the series and only Trip, Bianca, and Stephan ended up as his rivals, everyone else he battled was just one time. Same for Iris and Cilan who only have one rival each despite battling a few different people.

    The only reason the writers would do that stuff before was because Ash and the others never really had rivals and as such they random nobodies filled that roll. But now they give the main characters rivals, they show training battles, and still show battles with random strangers.

    I prefer the way it is now. I don't want to see Ash battle a bunch of nobodies, a few here and there is fine by me, but I enjoy rival battles, and more established characters who have an episode for themselves.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,669

    Default

    Is that really all that bad, though?
    I dislike their over-reliance of recurring characters. It's mainly because with so many of them they can't really focus on them enough to make it worthwhile. Back in Sinnoh it was Conway and Nando who got the short end of the stick development wise. Nando went months between appearances and we didn't know Conway was a contender until the last opening. In Unova there seems to be so many of them that no one got decent development. They were sort of just there.

    I liked the feeling that there were hundreds of Trainers in the world and not all of them were good enough to make it to League. That seems more realistic then the current setup.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I dislike their over-reliance of recurring characters. It's mainly because with so many of them they can't really focus on them enough to make it worthwhile. Back in Sinnoh it was Conway and Nando who got the short end of the stick development wise. Nando went months between appearances and we didn't know Conway was a contender until the last opening. In Unova there seems to be so many of them that no one got decent development. They were sort of just there.

    I liked the feeling that there were hundreds of Trainers in the world and not all of them were good enough to make it to League. That seems more realistic then the current setup.
    I'll give you Conway and Nando, but DP botched so much of what it tried that it's hardly worth thinking about now.

    Maybe they did use a few too many old characters in the Unova League, but consider the flip side - in previous Leagues there were no recurring characters except for rivals. It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Let's not forget when they arrived in Petalburg City, Ash had to battle a lot of trainers before he challenged Norman. Also, the trainer with the Ludicolo and the drums, the double battle with that trainer that refused to leave the island, And in Sinnoh, Turtwig and Piplup battled a Croconaw and Quilava on TV.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,349

    Default

    Man I really wish veteran Shaun would show up in the anime randomly and just challenge Ash to a full battle...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Anteiku Cafe
    Posts
    823

    Default

    So, N arc won't be any battles? I hope there's battle between Ash VS Trip or more Iris VS Georgia and Cilan VS Burgundy.
    WARNING : I really hiatus from Pokeani Spoiler because I move to other anime fandom. It doesn't mean I hate Pokeani, but I should keep my reputation for not being annoyed by stranger people who doesn't like/underestimate Pokeani. If you want to CHAT about POKEANI with me, please CONTACT me below. Thanks
    Follow my Twitter : @mega_shootiepie | Blackberry Messenger : 2b37cbed (Mega ShootiePie) (will move to BBM because I am gonna have new phone) | LINE : mega_shootiepie | My Instagram

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    IF you mean random like in the first movie where the dude with the Donphan just somehow knew Ash and challenged him then...


    I'd love that so much.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    I'll give you Conway and Nando, but DP botched so much of what it tried that it's hardly worth thinking about now.

    Maybe they did use a few too many old characters in the Unova League, but consider the flip side - in previous Leagues there were no recurring characters except for rivals. It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.
    Well given that DP had Legendary Pokemon partake in the league... those random COTD's that Ash met clearly could not match the leagues standards. Heck, Hoenn didn't bring back COTD's to my knowledge either
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    When Ash first battled Stephan I was so happy because it was like back then in OS, where Ash battled random trainers at the beginning of the episode. At that time, I wished Stephan won't become a reccurring character so that it will be a CotD that Ash just battled it.
    In snow, the pure white coat covering its body obscures it from predators.
    Dewgong



  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,669

    Default

    It didn't make it feel like not all trainers were good enough for the League, it made it feel like none of what happened prior to the League happened in a larger world.
    Remember that the character we see the most (Ash) is the extreme exception to the rule. Like him or not, he is in the top percentile of Trainers. The average Trainer isn't even remotely as good as he is.

    Ash used to promise to meet the Character of the Day at the Pokemon League. In retrospect, he seems to have been saying Don't quit and go home! which is exactly what the overwhelming majority of Pokemon Trainers do. It takes a lot of dedication to make it through a region. Even someone experienced like Ash loses sometimes, so it must be horrible for a complete newbie in their first year.

    What I'm trying to say is ... the vast majority of badge collecting Pokemon Trainers simply do not make it to the Pokemon League for one reason or another. Of the hundreds of kids who set out the League only has an average showing of less then 200 Trainers. A small percentage of them are League veterans like Ash or Paul who travel from region to region competitively.

    It seems that the odds are heavily stacked against you, and yet many of the characters that Ash met this time around managed to make it for some reason. Of all of the League participants I think 1/3 o them were recognized as recurring characters either in-region or in the background from previous seasons. If we did really deep I think the number's closer to 1/2.

    I don't know ... it just seems improbable that so many that Ash has met before made it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •