Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 161

Thread: Pokémon related pet peeves?

  1. #1

    Default Pokémon related pet peeves?

    Spin Attaxx with my first topic - if there's a topic similar to this, I apologise.

    As the title suggests, are there any Pokémon related things you don't like/hate? Then post them here!

    To start off with, people who say that all Pokédex entries aren't true and things like Spiritomb being made up of 108 souls are myths. To me, it makes no sense - we can't have ghosts or gods, but we CAN have fire breathing lizards and living ice cream cones?! And if we can't trust the Pokédex, then what CAN we trust?

    Not to mention, it implies that everyone in the Pokémon world is phenominally stupid.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    The thing about Spiritomb being made up of 108 souls isn't that it's too fantastical, but that it doesn't make sense with certain mechanics in the game- mainly a given Spiritomb having a single gender and being able to breed normally. And then there's things like Magcargo apparently being hotter than the sun. I can kinda see why most people don't consider the Pokedex the last word on the Pokemon world. Assuming that they're *all* untrue because of a few weird ones seems stupid, though.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the Area of Johto
    Posts
    314

    Default

    How about the Klink family? I mean, they are floating gears that have Electric Attacks and are considered fully Steel. It makes no sense. I mean, they are just gears. Are they the inspiration to make gears in the Pokemon world?
    Last edited by Quilava42; 5th January 2013 at 6:09 PM.


    DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

    Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lumiose City, Kalos
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    The thing about Spiritomb being made up of 108 souls isn't that it's too fantastical, but that it doesn't make sense with certain mechanics in the game- mainly a given Spiritomb having a single gender and being able to breed normally. And then there's things like Magcargo apparently being hotter than the sun. I can kinda see why most people don't consider the Pokedex the last word on the Pokemon world. Assuming that they're *all* untrue because of a few weird ones seems stupid, though.
    The pokedex does use A LOT of hyperbole. All that nonsense can't be sense.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Quidam Locus
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    The pokedex does use A LOT of hyperbole. All that nonsense can't be sense.
    Yup. The fact that a human boy woke up and found himself transformed into a Kadabra? And the fact when people die their souls turn into Yamask? Just plain weird. The magnum opus of weirdness in Pokédex entries is the fact that people used to put Darumaka poop in their clothes because it was warm. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

    Hoenn Starters :3



    I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    315

    Default

    One of my strongest peeve is people who write Pokemons, I can oversee the lack of apostrophe, but Pokémon is plural, the same goes for every single Pokémon. There are no such thing as Dratinis or Sneasels or Camerupts. It's all plural!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    259

    Default

    The fact that there is no Coke/Pepsi in the pokemon games! Not even a cheap knockoff! XD

    Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HRRlion View Post
    The fact that there is no Coke/Pepsi in the pokemon games! Not even a cheap knockoff! XD
    soda pop says hi
    Steel is the type of science


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish View Post
    soda pop says hi
    Soda Pop is Ramune, not Pepsi or Cola.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    Soda Pop is Ramune, not Pepsi or Cola.
    well it is a soda
    Steel is the type of science


  11. #11

    Default

    I'm guessing that when Spiritomb breeds, it is the asexual offspring of the 108 souls. Macargo being hotter than the sun is probably meant to mean it's like that in a fight or flight moment. Kadabra being a kid who woke up is probably how the species (and Abra and Alakazam) as a whole started.

    Or just simple Gameplay and Story Segregation e.g. although not true in gameplay, Victini DOES guarantee victory (I made a rhymie!). Take your pick.

    Another pet peeve: blocking you off from certain areas with phenominally stupid excuses.

    Dancing..... really? Then there's one from B/W, where a guy literally says "There's something up ahead and you can't go through". They didn't even TRY with that one.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    I'm guessing that when Spiritomb breeds, it is the asexual offspring of the 108 souls. Macargo being hotter than the sun is probably meant to mean it's like that in a fight or flight moment. Kadabra being a kid who woke up is probably how the species (and Abra and Alakazam) as a whole started.
    But see, at that point, they aren't biologically Pokemon. They wouldn't have Pokemon-based origins; they'd be an entirely different class of beings all on their own. 108 human souls = a Pokemon? No. That's a composite spirit. Kid turns into a Kadabra (a second-stage Pokemon, no less)? No. That's a mutant offshoot of human. And since these entities would not be Pokemon biologically, they should not have four battle moves, types, and susceptibility to other Pokemon or Pokeballs. If Spiritomb were really a composite spirit or if Arceus were really a god, you would not be able to capture them because they are NOT Pokemon, and therefore, Pokeballs would not work on them because they are designed to work on Pokemon. Otherwise, they would logically be able to work on humans as well, and that is a painfully large can of worms in of itself. You could say that its all just a case of Gameplay And Story Segregation, but since Spiritomb/Yamask/Arceus/Kadabra/etc. are considered Pokemon in the story (hence their presence in the Pokedex), they must be Pokemon from a biological perspective, since it's what the story says they are, and that means that the exaggerated myths and flavor texts around them must be logically critiqued and disregarded if necessary.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Dreams
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    . Macargo being hotter than the sun is probably meant to mean it's like that in a fight or flight moment.
    Even if that is the case, the temperature that the dex entry gives is nearly double the temperature of the surface of the sun. Which is more than hot enough to immediately reduce anything around it to a black smudge on the wall.

    Anyhoo, my pet peeve is when multiple hit attacks (fury swipes, arm thrust, etc.) rarely hit more than twice when you use them, but when the opponent uses them, they rarely hit less than five times.
    Last edited by General Nonsense; 5th January 2013 at 10:30 PM.


    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the Area of Johto
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    Even if that is the case, the temperature that the dex entry gives is nearly double the temperature of the surface of the sun. Which is more than hot enough to immediately reduce anything around it to a black smudge on the wall.
    Yes, this is what I thought! I mean, the Pokedex lies in some cases!


    DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

    Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    But see, at that point, they aren't biologically Pokemon. They wouldn't have Pokemon-based origins; they'd be an entirely different class of beings all on their own. 108 human souls = a Pokemon? No. That's a composite spirit. Kid turns into a Kadabra (a second-stage Pokemon, no less)? No. That's a mutant offshoot of human. And since these entities would not be Pokemon biologically, they should not have four battle moves, types, and susceptibility to other Pokemon or Pokeballs. If Spiritomb were really a composite spirit or if Arceus were really a god, you would not be able to capture them because they are NOT Pokemon, and therefore, Pokeballs would not work on them because they are designed to work on Pokemon. Otherwise, they would logically be able to work on humans as well, and that is a painfully large can of worms in of itself. You could say that its all just a case of Gameplay And Story Segregation, but since Spiritomb/Yamask/Arceus/Kadabra/etc. are considered Pokemon in the story (hence their presence in the Pokedex), they must be Pokemon from a biological perspective, since it's what the story says they are, and that means that the exaggerated myths and flavor texts around them must be logically critiqued and disregarded if necessary.
    Well, what defines a Pokémon does seem sketchy, like how Deoxys is an alien virus, yet is still classified as one.

    My guess is "any sentient creature with great powers that can be caught in a Poké Ball". Not the best guess, but it'll do for now.

    And I suppose things like Macargo's temp are rough estimates (I think plasma can reach that temp?).
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 5th January 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the grave
    Posts
    2,876

    Default

    Opinionated fans can be a pet peeve of mine, particularly when people insist that a pokémon's name is closed-book proof of what animal it's meant to be. Particularly when it's only the English name that refers to a specific creature. Just because some dubber thought it looked like that creature doesn't mean that's what it is.

    Also, when gym battles don't let me cherry tap by using items whenever I try to fell the opponent with a humiliatingly weak finishing move. I want to astonish your monster into oblivion, dammit!
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

    Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, on the planet earth
    Posts
    22

    Default

    The fact they have added a female form of Pikachu as late as Diamond and Pearl, I honestly hate it.
    Nothing else really, will edit when I think of more.
    You just saw Bubble Beam's signature.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Beam View Post
    The fact they have added a female form of Pikachu as late as Diamond and Pearl, I honestly hate it.
    Nothing else really, will edit when I think of more.
    That's a lot of hate for something as insignificant as a notch on the tail.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    Anyhoo, my pet peeve is when multiple hit attacks (fury swipes, arm thrust, etc.) rarely hit more than twice when you use them, but when the opponent uses them, they rarely hit less than five times.
    ^This. Drives me crazy, which is why I rarely keep those multiple hits on my pokemon. (Though Skill Link is a great ability for this)

    I also hate how people say I'm too old to like Pokemon, whether it's the games, or the anime.
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Nintendo Network ID Wii U: IrisMist

    Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & ???

    Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, on the planet earth
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    That's a lot of hate for something as insignificant as a notch on the tail.
    I know right? Pikachu does stuff do me. :O
    You just saw Bubble Beam's signature.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the Area of Johto
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    Anyhoo, my pet peeve is when multiple hit attacks (fury swipes, arm thrust, etc.) rarely hit more than twice when you use them, but when the opponent uses them, they rarely hit less than five times.

    OMG, that is how I feel! Like when I had a Rhydon that knew Rock Blast, it had an 80% accuracy. But it misses a lot! And it mainly hits 2-3 times!


    DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

    Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Training at the seattle gym
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quilava42 View Post
    OMG, that is how I feel! Like when I had a Rhydon that knew Rock Blast, it had an 80% accuracy. But it misses a lot! And it mainly hits 2-3 times!
    what happenes with me is: Gyarados use stone edge the foe's porygon-z avoided the attack the foe's porygon-z used zap-cannon it's super effective and I'm like ._.
    Steel is the type of science


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Dreams
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Also, missing at the worst possible moment. Or getting a status ailment at the worst possible moment.


    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default

    ANYTIME a person misspells a Pokémon (or any word, for that matter) really bugs me. "Ghastly", "Klingklang", and most attempts at spelling Gyarados especially.
    I like trains.

    "Hi, girl, can I Squirtle on your Jigglypuff?"

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Somewhere, on the planet earth
    Posts
    22

    Default

    How you must pay higher the higher your pokemon levels up when you get them out of the day care.

    edit: I think I just confuzzled myself with that sentence...
    You just saw Bubble Beam's signature.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •